inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When does late '00s start?

Written By: 00skid on 06/12/06 at 2:45 am

Is it 2006 or 2007?

Subject: Re: When does late '00s start?

Written By: jackas on 06/12/06 at 6:54 am

I would think 2007 - 2008.  2006 would be mid, imo.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/06 at 9:55 am

January 1,2007. Or sometime in late '06.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/06 at 10:39 am

I think we usually get the first glimpse into the end of the decade by the Fall of the "6" year (the second half of 1986 had hair metal's explosion - Bon Jovi, etc. and rap/rock such as the remake of "Walk This Way").

Calendicularly, the second third of the decade starts on Sept 1, 2006 too.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 10:49 am

You mean third third, lol.^

I think you're right about the 6 years.. the second half of this year we'll probably see the beginnings of whatever new cultural trends happen in the late 00s.

And 2007 is the first real year of the late 00s.  0, 1 and 2 are the early part of each decade. 3, 4, 5 and 6 are the "mid" part.  7,8, and 9 are the late part.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/06 at 11:18 am

I think we usually get the first glimpse into the end of the decade by the Fall of the "6" year (the second half of 1986 had hair metal's explosion - Bon Jovi, etc. and rap/rock such as the remake of "Walk This Way").

Yeah, culturally the fall of the "6" year usually brings a slight change and in 1986 it brought a few pretty dramatic changes. I'm not sure if we'll see the same in late '06 though but they'll defidently be some change.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 11:58 am

sigh...we've just had 10 threads asking this EXACT SAME QUESTION.  >:(

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/12/06 at 1:27 pm

2007, 2006 is still mid '00s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/06 at 2:14 pm

2007, for 2004 to 2006 is the mid 00s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 2:43 pm

Late 2006, IMO. Like around September some "late '00s" stuff will start, then I think late '06-early '08 will be the genuinely '00s "late '00s", and the middle of '08 will start some transition to the '10s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/12/06 at 3:59 pm

Late 2006, IMO. Like around September some "late '00s" stuff will start, then I think late '06-early '08 will be the genuinely '00s "late '00s", and the middle of '08 will start some transition to the '10s.

Sounds right to me. The '80s, 90s and (so far) the '00s seem to more or less mirror each other in terms of years. Overtakes in the "1" year, peaks around the "4" and starts to get into the late part toward the end of the "6".

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/12/06 at 4:01 pm

Sounds right to me. The '80s, 90s and (so far) the '00s seem to more or less mirror each other in terms of years. Overtakes in the "1" year, peaks around the "4" and starts to get into the late part toward the end of the "6".

It does seem to follow a schedule of some sort.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 6:42 pm

I just wonder what our "late part" will entail. Probably some form of dance music.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 10:54 pm

I just wonder what our "late part" will entail. Probably some form of dance music.

I think that emo is going to weaken in popularity, but it probably won't die off until later.  Hopefully the early '10s.  Latin music like Reggaeton may continue to grow in popularity.. that was a trend of the late 90s that dropped off for awhile in the early 00s and the first half of the mid 00s but the last couple of years it seems to be on the rise again.

I think something new will happen as far as rock goes.  I don't know if it will be all that great or revolutionary, but I think a genre/set of bands that was previously not in the mainstream will become popular.

The movie line-up is already evident because you hear about movies sometimes a couple of years in advance, and I've got to say 2007 is shaping up to be a great movie year like 2005.  This year hasn't been too bad actually.  I think better films compared to the first half of the 00s is going to turn out to be a trend in the latter half of this decade.

I've noticed a trend of colors becoming darker lately.  Since the late 90s popular fashion has seemed to drift toward bright colors than we saw in the mid 90s for the most part, but like someone else mentioned on here the colors do seem to be a getting a little darker again.  Which I'm not sure if I like or not.  The brighter colors might be one of the few things about the 00s I really like.  It gives off a slightly 70s/80s vibe.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 10:57 pm

[quote author=

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/12/06 at 11:08 pm

I think emo is peaking at the moment, having started in 2003, and will die off by 2009 or so. I agree, reggaeton/dancehall fused with some glam-rap and new wave influences might become popular. Stuff like Rihanna's "S.O.S." What I see alot of is brown and green, they're the new black.

Yeah there is more green and brown.  Brown is a darker color, and the greens I've been seeing are a little darker.

The cultural climate is changing though, I can feel it.  Another thing I've noticed is the 80s influence on music seems to be increasing.  I've heard a lot more 80s-ish songs in commercials, for example.  In a way it feels 70s-ish, because of the widespread discontent with a formally popular Repubican President whos increasingly seen as corrup, and a gas crisis going on.  But right now is also starting to get a kinda late 80s/early 90s feel.  I'm not sure what it is exactly there.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/12/06 at 11:17 pm

[quote author=

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 11:26 pm

[quote author=

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/12/06 at 11:52 pm

Yeah there is some change happening, we won't see the full effects until probably another year or so, but there is definitely some change happening.

I agree. At this point in 2005 it sort of felt things would never change the climate just feels different now in mid-'06.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/12/06 at 11:55 pm

I agree. At this point in 2005 it sort of felt things would never change the climate just feels different now in mid-'06.

Yeah a lot has changed from earlier in the year I think, for the better too imo.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 2:52 pm

[quote author=

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 2:56 pm

Yeah. I think the '90s were brighter overall (look at the set of the Ricki Lake or Jerry Springer shows circa 1995).

You're right, there's more '80s songs in commercials now as well as '80s inspired stuff on the radio. I'm not sure if we've hit a certain year for that, though. I'd argue that since 2001 even, there's been some neo 80s music. That year had "Breathless" by the Corrs, which sounds like 1987 or something (great song too :) ).

This is clearly the optemist in me speaking, but I really think the '80s revival will be a long one, much like the '50s (1974-86) and '70s revivals were (1993-2002 or so, and in a reduced way, still around now even). Probably at least until the early-mid '10s.

It's just sad to think that the '80s will be too old to even be retro cool in a few years. :(

I think it's the new wave part of the '80s that'll get too old for retro cool soon, less the Bon Jovi and Vanilla Ice parts of it. I think the peak of '80s revivalism will be about 2007-2008, like '70s revivalism really peaked around 1997-1998 with all the songs, movies, TV shows, etc. referencing the '70s that were around then. Like, the other day I heard a commercial with a Squeeze song, and then a commercial with a Pat Benatar song  :o. Also, there's stuff like Rihanna's "S.O.S", and fashion is increasingly '80s-inspired, from the runway trends I've been noticing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 3:09 pm

I think it's the new wave part of the '80s that'll get too old for retro cool soon, less the Bon Jovi and Vanilla Ice parts of it. I think the peak of '80s revivalism will be about 2007-2008, like '70s revivalism really peaked around 1997-1998 with all the songs, movies, TV shows, etc. referencing the '70s that were around then. Like, the other day I heard a commercial with a Squeeze song, and then a commercial with a Pat Benatar song  :o. Also, there's stuff like Rihanna's "S.O.S", and fashion is increasingly '80s-inspired, from the runway trends I've been noticing.

Yeah, even the real new wave started dying down by 1985, so I can see that. Maybe because the late '80s weren't quite as "over the top '80s" as, say 1982 was (i.e. legwarmers) that section will last longer as retro cool?

Do you think there's any '70s revival left, or only in some general attitudes (i.e. current teens who think their former '70s teen parents' stuff is cool, and smoke weed together with them)?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 3:45 pm

Yeah, even the real new wave started dying down by 1985, so I can see that. Maybe because the late '80s weren't quite as "over the top '80s" as, say 1982 was (i.e. legwarmers) that section will last longer as retro cool?

Do you think there's any '70s revival left, or only in some general attitudes (i.e. current teens who think their former '70s teen parents' stuff is cool, and smoke weed together with them)?

I think it's just some general attitudes still lying around about the '70s being cool, and maybe a few people who still like Led Zeppelin, Queen, etc., though it's possible those bands have passed into being "eternally cool." I think the late '80s will be retro cool for awhile, into the early '10s...partially the  old school hip-hop culture and old-school alt rock will make it that.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 4:28 pm

Would you say New Wave production was around even as late as 1992, even if the real early '80s stuff was pretty much gone?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 4:34 pm

Would you say New Wave production was around even as late as 1992, even if the real early '80s stuff was pretty much gone?

Yeah, some soft rock and such still sounded like Tears for Fears even as late as 1992.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 5:16 pm

Yeah, 1992 was very '90s music, but at the same time, sort of the last year an '80s music fan who didn't like '90s music could equally get into, if that makes sense.

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but I'd argue from a modern perspective, even some 1993-94 songs sound a bit "80s production-like". Not the Pac Man/Miami Vice '80s, but perhaps a slight 1989ish '80s. I was listening to "Come to My Window" by Melissa Etheridge the other day and was thinking that. Or stuff like "The Sign" by Ace of Base and .

Also, some pop rock/soft rock '80s stars like Sting, Phil Collins and Bryan Adams were still charting around '94 with some late '80sish stuff (i.e. "Fields of Gold", "Everyday" "Please Forgive Me" respectably). Even some veteran rockers were around like Tom Petty with "You Wreck Me".

Of course from a 1994 perspective, all that was very '90s, but from a 2006 perspective, it's sort of subtly '80s, ya know?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/06 at 5:20 pm

February 12, 2007, at 12:01 p.m. to be exact.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 5:22 pm

Yeah, 1992 was very '90s music, but at the same time, sort of the last year an '80s music fan who didn't like '90s music could equally get into, if that makes sense.

You know, I never thought I'd say this, but I'd argue from a modern perspective, even some 1993-94 songs sound a bit "80s production-like". Not the Pac Man/Miami Vice '80s, but perhaps a slight 1989ish '80s. I was listening to "Come to My Window" by Melissa Etheridge the other day and was thinking that. Or stuff like "The Sign" by Ace of Base and .

Also, some pop rock/soft rock '80s stars like Sting, Phil Collins and Bryan Adams were still charting around '94 with some late '80sish stuff (i.e. "Fields of Gold", "Everyday" "Please Forgive Me" respectably). Even some veteran rockers were around like Tom Petty with "You Wreck Me".

Of course from a 1994 perspective, all that was very '90s, but from a 2006 perspective, it's sort of subtly '80s, ya know?

There was definitely some stuff around in like 1994 that is "vaguely '80s." Melissa Etheridge always struck me as a grunge-ified lesbian hair metal chick. And there was still that Milli Vanilli style production, even despite house music hitting and destroying all that gloss.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/13/06 at 5:28 pm

There was definitely some stuff around in like 1994 that is "vaguely '80s." Melissa Etheridge always struck me as a grunge-ified lesbian hair metal chick. And there was still that Milli Vanilli style production, even despite house music hitting and destroying all that gloss.

Yeah, that's true. She actually was around in the '80s, but didn't get popular with the masses until 1993/94 (probably explaining the slight '80s rock influence/look). At the time of course, I didn't know she was a lesbian, but even in 1994 I remember viewing her as a sort of edgier Bonnie Raitt.

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/23/09 at 4:41 pm

I'm going to say October 9, 2007 as that was the day the Dow Jones/S&P 500 were at their all-time highs. Also, right around this time, the excitement of Web 2.0 began to die. The US recession began in December '07. However, late 2006-September 2007 could go either way for mid vs. late as Wii and XBOX360 were introduced and real estate prices began to slip a little. But more things I can really associate with the late '00s: '80s nostalgia at its peak, "Going Green", less flashy fashion, bands like Coldplay and The Jonas Brothers, a slowdown in technological progress, the worst creativity in music at least since the birth of Jazz, continued disinterest in Top 40 radio, and the decline of printed material such as books/newspapers/magazines.

The mid-2000s  (April 2003- September 2007 roughly) are currently the most recent prosperous period, sandwiched in between the early 2000s recession/dotcom bust/ and terrorist era. However, overall growth was smaller compared with similar prosperous periods in the 1950s, 60s, 80s, and 90s, except for the VERY rich. This period will best be known for Iraq, Bush Disapproval, the real estate bubble, excessive developments in medicare, glam rap, emo, Crossover SUVs, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Panic! At The Disco, excessive advertising,  hurricane/climate change concerns, rising gas prices (continues into first part of late '00s), and of course the Web 2.0 explosion (Wikipedia, Myspace, Facebook, Online Streaming Video, the decline of the CD, the explosion of HDTV, and of course MP3s.)

The 2000s will more than likely become a "lost decade", where nostalgic reinterest is weak and mostly just becomes a decade of study by historians. There is too little time left in the decade for an economic improvement, improvement in music. Also, many movies this decade that have won Best Picture have had slow starts (Slumdog Millionaire almost didn't hit the big screen), and little care for critically acclaimed films with Blockbusters and Sequels predominating.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/23/09 at 5:30 pm

I'm going to say October 9, 2007 as that was the day the Dow Jones/S&P 500 were at their all-time highs. Also, right around this time, the excitement of Web 2.0 began to die. The US recession began in December '07. However, late 2006-September 2007 could go either way for mid vs. late as Wii and XBOX360 were introduced and real estate prices began to slip a little. But more things I can really associate with the late '00s: '80s nostalgia at its peak, "Going Green", less flashy fashion, bands like Coldplay and The Jonas Brothers, a slowdown in technological progress, the worst creativity in music at least since the birth of Jazz, continued disinterest in Top 40 radio, and the decline of printed material such as books/newspapers/magazines.

The mid-2000s  (April 2003- September 2007 roughly) are currently the most recent prosperous period, sandwiched in between the early 2000s recession/dotcom bust/ and terrorist era. However, overall growth was smaller compared with similar prosperous periods in the 1950s, 60s, 80s, and 90s, except for the VERY rich. This period will best be known for Iraq, Bush Disapproval, the real estate bubble, excessive developments in medicare, glam rap, emo, Crossover SUVs, Jay-Z, Beyonce, Panic! At The Disco, excessive advertising,  hurricane/climate change concerns, rising gas prices (continues into first part of late '00s), and of course the Web 2.0 explosion (Wikipedia, Myspace, Facebook, Online Streaming Video, the decline of the CD, the explosion of HDTV, and of course MP3s.)

The 2000s will more than likely become a "lost decade", where nostalgic reinterest is weak and mostly just becomes a decade of study by historians. There is too little time left in the decade for an economic improvement, improvement in music. Also, many movies this decade that have won Best Picture have had slow starts (Slumdog Millionaire almost didn't hit the big screen), and little care for critically acclaimed films with Blockbusters and Sequels predominating.

Nicely put.

I didn't know the economy was good in the 00s. I thought it was horrible, now I know it was ok.

About the top 40: Yeah, no one really cares about that anymore because music is so low in quality.

Also, there were no good movie stars this decade because no one really stuck out!

The one good thing about the late 00s is the fading of glam rap, I never thought it would fade away.

I'm kinda glad this decade is over though.

Years from now, people will look back and realize how horrible this decade is. At least in the 1930's, we had great movies to escape to, now, movies and music are weak!

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/24/09 at 12:38 pm

I think of all things that really distinguish say 2003/2004 from 2007 the most are these two words, and I believe this movement is to the 2000s to what the Internet was to the 1990s:                    SOCIAL MEDIA

Of course, this technology has been around in primitive forms since 1981 when the first BBS were launched, but it took around a quarter century (like the Internet) to fully become a household staple. (I will do a 25-year cycle thread on becoming a breakthrough later.) You do a Google News search and on the archives on the left, you see 2007 and 2008 highlighted, and 2005-06 as the earliest years active in the archives. I find this movement serious after the London's Daily Mail posted an article about the movement being mind-changing, and it could end up killing printed media. The mid-00's was about explosive growth of this genre (Just 66 Archive "Hits" for 2003, only 120 in 2004 (but a nice jump), 345 in 2005, but 1900 in 2006 and 6,970 in 2007, with lesser (but still big) growth in 2008 with 11,200 hits. This probably means that 2006 was the year that worldwide the Social Media movement had its strongest development, with 2007 and 2005 also being strong growth years (paralleling the big 1995-1997 rise of the Internet). Of all technological 90s-00s parallels, Internet-Social Media seems to be the strongest.

In fact, the first published book to contain the words "Social Media Movement" was published just last year, in a book called PR 2.0: New Media, New Tools, New Audiences by Deidre Breakenridge.

SOCIAL MEDIA: Coming soon to a history book near you!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/24/09 at 2:19 pm

June 1, 2007.  May 31, 2007, is still mid '00s.
:)

Written By: nicole1977 on 02/24/09 at 8:04 pm

September 2007.  I believe that mid 2003 and mid 2007 are mid-00s.  I believe that pop culture started to shift in late 2007.  Pop culture in mid 2007 was pretty much the same as say mid 2003.

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 1:24 pm

Late 00's-midpoint of 2007-present

Written By: tv on 02/25/09 at 1:30 pm

No, Jay-Z was more of a popular act between 1998-2002 than 2003+. Of course Jay-Z has been an intregal part of Beyonce's career(who is his wife) and Rihanna's career too.

Yeah looking back at the 80's isn;t cool anymore like it was from 2001-2006. However, you still see the big hooped earings on women which was an 80's fashion reborn in 2002 for women.

Written By: scottyb on 02/25/09 at 5:20 pm

wanna say the early 00's started in Jan 2000 to seep 2003 mid 00's sep 2003 to sep 2006 and late 00's sep 06 to now wonder what the next decade will bring I'm guessing allot of things from the 90's will come back

Written By: Samwise on 02/27/09 at 12:45 pm

I completely agree with you. Another good example: "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree. (Remember that one-hit wonder?) I got that song running through my head a while back and downloaded it. I was shocked by how overproduced it sounded. Back when it was all over the radio, I thought it sounded quintessentially 90's, but now I can hear the synth-happy 80's all over it.

Written By: tv on 02/28/09 at 5:53 pm

I completely agree with you. Another good example: "You Gotta Be" by Des'ree. (Remember that one-hit wonder?) I got that song running through my head a while back and downloaded it. I was shocked by how overproduced it sounded. Back when it was all over the radio, I thought it sounded quintessentially 90's, but now I can hear the synth-happy 80's all over it.
I don;t think Des'ree's "You Gotta Be" sounds 80's at all but each to his or her own.

Written By: Jebus on 02/28/09 at 7:54 pm

After reading these boards for a while, I must say I do not see how everyone seems to unanimously agree that the music of the 00s sucks and that this decade has no unique culture.  I honestly fail to see how this decade has a culture less unique than any other decade.  Mainstream music is primarily composed of dance music, "glam" rap, typical popular music.  In the movie realm, this decade has been ruled by superhero movies which are all mediocre in my opinion.  However, many great and original movies have been released as well such as Donnie Darko, Crash, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Requiem for a Dream, etc.  Last but certainly not least, while I don't care for most of the mainstream music of today, several great bands have become popular in this decade such as The Shins, The White Stripes, The Arcade Fire, The Black Keys, Muse, Death Cab For Cutie, and even Coldplay.  I am really digging the whole indie music scene which is undoubtedly unique to this decade.

What I am trying to say here is that as an "89er," this decade along with the next one will define my youth and I am actually proud to say so.  While the 90s were great, this decade is too.  It definitely has its negative aspects, but they are no more apparent than those of any other decade.  Does anyone here agree with me?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 02/28/09 at 10:03 pm

After reading these boards for a while, I must say I do not see how everyone seems to unanimously agree that the music of the 00s sucks and that this decade has no unique culture. 

I'm certain it does; however, we're in the midst of it so it is impossible to assess its particulars.  We'll understand better in 2015.

Written By: Tiramisu on 03/04/09 at 11:20 pm

i'm actually going to say september 2005. when youtube and fall out boy got big. things haven't changed culturally too much since then.

as to when they will end, i think 2011/2012 when the new generation takes over y.

Check for new replies or respond here...