inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Crime is on the rise in the mid 00's

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/06 at 8:48 pm

Today on the news they reported that the crime rate in the U.S. is rising, according to 2005 statistics. The crime rate was gradually going down since the 90's, but it's reversing in the mid 00's. They are comparing the current trend to the late 80's/early 90's.

Subject: Re: Crime is on the rise in the mid 00's

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 10:05 pm

I heard the opposite - proves how people can manipulate statistics and use them for their own ends. It depends WHERE, as well, I suppose. In the traditional crime hotbets of Detroit and St. Louis crime may be on the decline, whereas it may be rising in more white collar areas like parts of L.A. But then again, is this referring to 'violent' crime?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/12/06 at 10:23 pm

I heard the opposite - proves how people can manipulate statistics and use them for their own ends. It depends WHERE, as well, I suppose. In the traditional crime hotbets of Detroit and St. Louis crime may be on the decline, whereas it may be rising in more white collar areas like parts of L.A. But then again, is this referring to 'violent' crime?

I feel like there's more of a threat of theft nowadays.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/06 at 12:11 pm

I think it was referring to violent crime, particularly the murder rate. In some cities like Atlanta, New York, and L.A., the murder rate dropped, but it rose in cities like Houston, Las Vegas, and many other places. The report was referencing the F.B.I. statistics. The factors of the rise in the crime rate include a resurgance of gang activity, since many of the after school programs created in the 90's to keep people off the streets have been cut. The articles also mentioned that a lot of the criminals that were incarcerated in the 80's and early 90's are getting released and going back to their old way of life. Also, funding for police has been limited due to the budget shortage. I think that the weakening economy and uncertainty about the future, as well as the gas prices will also contribute to a further rise in crime through the late 00's since more people are getting stressed out.

Check for new replies or respond here...