inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Omen

Written By: Tia on 06/12/06 at 9:39 pm

anybody else see it? anybody else notice the boom mics? i counted SIX boom mic sightings and i stopped bothering after about 20 minutes in.

amazing! they must have all been drunk.

Subject: Re: The Omen

Written By: Dagwood on 06/13/06 at 7:36 pm

Must have been a really bad movie if you resorted to counting boom mikes. ;D  I have heard that it was a bad movie.  Almost like they rushed to get it out on 6/6/6.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/13/06 at 8:01 pm

Boom mikes? This was supposed to be a remake! There weren't any boom mikes in the original.

The movie I best remember for boom mikes was "Leap of Faith," the Steve Martin movie in which he plays an evangelical preacher. Then there was the movie "Tuff Turf" (1985, James Spader, Kim Richards), in which you could see crew members walking around the set...but once you sink the level of "Tuff Turf," you might as well start a whole b-movies thread--a whole b-movies board!
;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/13/06 at 8:57 pm

The original is better.

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 12:12 pm

Boom mikes? This was supposed to be a remake! There weren't any boom mikes in the original.

The movie I best remember for boom mikes was "Leap of Faith," the Steve Martin movie in which he plays an evangelical preacher. Then there was the movie "Tuff Turf" (1985, James Spader, Kim Richards), in which you could see crew members walking around the set...but once you sink the level of "Tuff Turf," you might as well start a whole b-movies thread--a whole b-movies board!
;D
there's a rumor that kim richards quit the business because filming tuff turf was such a grueling, crappy experience. i've seen it a couple of times but never noticed any crewmembers. i DID notice lots of really amazingly bad costumes. and robert downey jr. playing drums wearing nothing but a bow tie. and that was bad enough.

and oi! the musical number!

really, if you see it look for boom mics. it's really astonishing. they say there was something wrong with the picture framing, something or other. and because there was such a rush to get it out on 6/6/6 they couldn't fix it. not that they should have, it's really the most fun and interesting thing about the movie. they messed up the classic scene when mom is watering the plant and damien knocks her off the balcony! that's such an amazing sequence in the original. in the remake it's all goofy. big wheels: scary! scooters: not scary!

my favorite boom mic sighting is from "coma." it's in the shot for like ten seconds. i found a web page once that chronicled boom mic sightings but i can't find it anymore.

the first omen is a classic. we were asking, what were remakes that were better than the original?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/06 at 7:53 pm

there's a rumor that kim richards quit the business because filming tuff turf was such a grueling, crappy experience. i've seen it a couple of times but never noticed any crewmembers. i DID notice lots of really amazingly bad costumes. and robert downey jr. playing drums wearing nothing but a bow tie. and that was bad enough.

I didn't notice the crew members either. It was something my brother mentioned, but I never felt like pouring over the stinking movie frame by frame to find them! I think I saw it in the theater, it was on one of those boring Saturdays when I had nothing better to do. When I got home, my mother asked, "So what movie did you go see?"
"Tuff Turf," I muttered, heading for my room.
"'Tuff Turd'?"
"Yeah, that sums it up," I replied.
:P

really, if you see it look for boom mics. it's really astonishing. they say there was something wrong with the picture framing, something or other. and because there was such a rush to get it out on 6/6/6 they couldn't fix it. not that they should have, it's really the most fun and interesting thing about the movie. they messed up the classic scene when mom is watering the plant and damien knocks her off the balcony! that's such an amazing sequence in the original. in the remake it's all goofy. big wheels: scary! scooters: not scary!

my favorite boom mic sighting is from "coma." it's in the shot for like ten seconds. i found a web page once that chronicled boom mic sightings but i can't find it anymore.

That was the funny thing, "Leap of Faith" wasn't a billion dollar epic production, but it wasn't some b-movie, like "Tuff Turf." It had Steve Martin, Debra Winger, and Liam Neeson in it, for chrissakes. There are a couple of scenes where the boom mic is in the frame for several seconds, including a close up scene with Mr. Martin. You'd think they could pay decent editors if they could pay for those actors! On the other hand, it had Meat Loaf in it, which automatically diminishes the quality of anything!
::)
Anyway...

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 7:55 pm

well, of course, on the other hand, tuff turf had kim richards in it.

she kinda went into a tailspin in the 80s. her only other movie was "meatballs ii." oops. i'm sure it seemed promising in the preproduction stage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/06 at 9:56 pm

well, of course, on the other hand, tuff turf had kim richards in it.

she kinda went into a tailspin in the 80s. her only other movie was "meatballs ii." oops. i'm sure it seemed promising in the preproduction stage.

That does not auger well for the aspiring actress, I wouldn't even want to put "Tuff Turf" on my C.V.

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 10:01 pm

now she's working with john singleton! so all's well that ends well.

anyway, it seemed not to have hurt james spader none. he seemed quite aware of what a train wreck he was involved in, he really phoned it in.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/06 at 10:09 pm

now she's working with john singleton! so all's well that ends well.

anyway, it seemed not to have hurt james spader none. he seemed quite aware of what a train wreck he was involved in, he really phoned it in.

Hey, "Pretty In Pink," "Less Than Zero," Sex-Lies-and-Videotape," dynamite~!

Written By: Tia on 06/14/06 at 10:49 pm

Hey, "Pretty In Pink," "Less Than Zero," Sex-Lies-and-Videotape," dynamite~!
ahem. "Stargate"! even you have to admit tuff turf was better than the movie "Stargate."

well, i guess it was more of a draw.

Check for new replies or respond here...