inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is the Nerdiest Year to be born in?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/12/06 at 11:49 pm

Is it just my imagination, but are people born in 1986, 1987 and 1988 the most materialistic, post-yuppified, career-obsessed, study-obsessed birth-period in history? My year in particular seemed full of nerds (of all kinds), whereas many born in 83, 84 and 85 seemed more interested in partying, strutting around in gangs.etc. Any thoughts?

Subject: Re: What is the Nerdiest Year to be born in?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/13/06 at 1:10 am

1990?  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/13/06 at 1:10 am

1990?  ;D

Yes.  ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 1:47 am

1990?  ;D

Don't know about 1990. But from the people I know 1987 is the nerdiest year of all.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/13/06 at 11:55 am

Interesting question - hard to answer.  I have been a teacher for 17 years and I have worked with teenagers born from 1978 to 1993 (current class) and I have seen some changes.  Personally I think each generation has become more materialistic as far as wanting the "best" and the "latest" of everything.  From iPods, to computers to $200.00 tennis shoes - these kids want it all.  I don't know if I would call them the "nerdiest" but they are definitely technology savvy.  Kids today don't play outside like I did - they spend most of their time indoors on their computers, thus becoming very effcient in the technology that is available.    So are they nerds, or just very good at understanding the technology of today?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 11:58 am

Interesting question - hard to answer.  I have been a teacher for 17 years and I have worked with teenagers born from 1978 to 1993 (current class) and I have seen some changes.  Personally I think each generation has become more materialistic as far as wanting the "best" and the "latest" of everything.  From iPods, to computers to $200.00 tennis shoes - these kids want it all.  I don't know if I would call them the "nerdiest" but they are definitely technology savvy.  Kids today don't play outside like I did - they spend most of their time indoors on their computers, thus becoming very effcient in the technology that is available.    So are they nerds, or just very good at understanding the technology of today?

Yes, I know the question is probably m00t and based more on subjective experiences and biases. But being tech-savvy today is considered 'normal' with msn messenger, e-mail, myspace.etc. I'm just glad I grew up just before the the real tech boom dug deep...

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 12:26 pm

I don't think that you can categorize this, but from experience, 1987 or 1990 (like moi.)

Written By: wndysbg on 06/13/06 at 12:44 pm

Yes, I know the question is probably m00t and based more on subjective experiences and biases. But being tech-savvy today is considered 'normal' with msn messenger, e-mail, myspace.etc. I'm just glad I grew up just before the the real tech boom dug deep...

I grew up well before the tech-boom took off.  I remember my elementary school teacher in the late '70's telling us not to get use to calculators because they would not be around in the future.  They were just a fad.  :)                          I typed ALL my college papers on a typewriter and this was in the late '80's.  I remember a friend trying to show me how to use a computer and I thought "Wow what a nerd. I will never need to know all this." I was a little nervous around computers, but now I could not survive without one.  My how times have changed.

Written By: Marian on 06/13/06 at 3:44 pm

I can sort of understand being more materialistic.There were people who got government vouchers because they lost thiir homes during the hurricanes---and store owners were reporting people buying $800 purses with them!!!among other things!and most of those people wouldn't have been able to afford stuff like that before the hurricanes!I'm guessing storm refugees from earlier generations wouldn't have thloought of doing something like this--which is all legal,by the way! ???

Written By: wndysbg on 06/13/06 at 4:11 pm

I can sort of understand being more materialistic.There were people who got government vouchers because they lost thiir homes during the hurricanes---and store owners were reporting people buying $800 purses with them!!!among other things!and most of those people wouldn't have been able to afford stuff like that before the hurricanes!I'm guessing storm refugees from earlier generations wouldn't have thloought of doing something like this--which is all legal,by the way! ???

I know what you mean - a friend of mine works for the Red Cros and was in charge of handling vouchers for Hurricane Katrina victims.  She said it was unbelievable some of the stories people came up with.  She said  some people would say anything to get money and they had not even been in the Hurricane.  What's a shame is the people who abuse the system hurt those that really need the help.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 06/13/06 at 8:59 pm

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:14 pm

Doesn't it seem a little creepy that the general consensus (on which year is nerdiest) is those born in 1987?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/13/06 at 10:17 pm

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:17 pm

More 1987 than 1986.  ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/13/06 at 10:23 pm

More 1987 than 1986.  ;)

No 1987 is the coolest year.  ;)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:27 pm

No 1987 is the coolest year.  ;)

1987 was more emo than 1986. ;)

Written By: rich1981 on 06/13/06 at 11:22 pm

1987 - The year my brother was born, and who is definitely a materialistic, spoiled brat.  ::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 11:06 am

1987 - The year my brother was born, and who is definitely a materialistic, spoiled brat.  ::)

Surely, we are in unanimous agreement that it is indeed 1987.

Written By: Bobby on 06/14/06 at 11:12 am

My mate was born in 1986 and, to be fair to him, he's a complete idiot.  ;D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/14/06 at 12:23 pm

Don't know about 1990. But from the people I know 1987 is the nerdiest year of all.

Doesn't it seem a little creepy that the general consensus (on which year is nerdiest) is those born in 1987?

More 1987 than 1986.  ;)

I was gonna say 1988 but I seem to be a bit outnumbered ;D. But then agian I was born in '87 and I'm about as nerdy as it gets so I wont deny it:1987 is the nerdiest year to be born in.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 12:35 pm

^ Even someone born in 1987 agrees.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/14/06 at 12:36 pm

^ Even someone born in 1987 agrees.

I still say it's 1986 or 1990.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 12:37 pm

I still say it's 1986 or 1990.

I do admit my year at school was nearly 80% nerds, but that's probably more just my school. On the whole, I know alot of nerds born in 1987.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/14/06 at 2:15 pm

I'm going to have to look back at my students who were born in 1987 and see if the trend proves true.  :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 2:35 pm

1987 is definitely the nerdiest, no doubt...but 1989 and 1990 have alot of nerds too. Less in 1988 and 1986.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/14/06 at 2:55 pm

Okay - I looked at my former students - the ones born in 1987 - and I have several studying some real "nerdy" science/computer related stuff at major universities.  I also have one who is a Playboy Centerfold - I doubt that would be considered nerdy?  :)

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 06/14/06 at 5:58 pm

I think 1984.

Check for new replies or respond here...