inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Hipster Music"

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/13/06 at 5:54 pm

What do you think over time has been "hipster music"? Here's my assessment:

Early-Mid 1980s: The Talking Heads, Television, Wire, Elvis Costello, Graham Parker, The Smiths, Joy Division.
Mid-Late 1980s: Sonic Youth, Husker Du, The Replacements, RHCP.
1990s: Pavement, Guided by Voices, Radiohead, Beck.
2000s: Arcade Fire, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, Architecture in Helsinki, Belle and Sebastian, The Postal Service.

Subject: Re: "Hipster Music"

Written By: Apricot on 06/13/06 at 10:07 pm

I disagree with 90s... Beck has admitted that his song "Loser" was embraced by all the wrong people.. but it was valley girls and rich kids, not hipsters.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:20 pm

Of the 90s hipster stuff I'm only familiar with Radiohead, and vaguely familiar with 'Beck.' Would Hipster music be inherently pop and 'chart-worthy?' Would bands like early Coldplay, the Verve, Doves - which perhaps weren't as popular as Radiohead in the 90s (but had similar sounds) also be called 'Hipster' music?

One of the biggest current Hipster bands I can think of is the Decemberists.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/13/06 at 10:23 pm

I still don't know what hipster is.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:26 pm

I still don't know what hipster is.

Search it up on Wikipedia - that's what I always do when I'm not current with a term.

Written By: Apricot on 06/13/06 at 10:28 pm

Search it up on Wikipedia - that's what I always do when I'm not current with a term.

Their definition isn't good.. it's a little complex. Plus, it's not the same as the way people on this forum use it, which is pretty much a cover-all term for anyone who likes Indie music.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/13/06 at 10:29 pm

Their definition isn't good.. it's a little complex. Plus, it's not the same as the way people on this forum use it, which is pretty much a cover-all term for anyone who likes Indie music.

Yeah, I think the term is somewhat misused on this forum.

Written By: UnHipster on 06/13/06 at 11:32 pm

It's underground music that sound exactly like the music that was popular in the '90's, but water downed like Fall Out Boy, Coldplay, Interpol, Good Charlotte, etc,  ::) :P

Since Hanson are nolonger popular and evolved into a generic pop rock band I wonder if they're hipsters too. Either way, they still suck.

Written By: UnHipster on 06/13/06 at 11:40 pm

It's underground music that sound exactly like the music that was popular in the '90's, but water downed like Fall Out Boy, Coldplay, Interpol, Good Charlotte, etc,  ::) :P

Since Hanson are nolonger popular and evolved into a generic pop rock band I wonder if they're hipsters too. Either way, they still suck.

Wait, that's emo

Hipster, emo what's the difference  ::)

High School Musical isn't on the radio and has a cult following too

Too confusing, but they're no different than teenyboppers since they're taste change when the band becomes mainstream

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 2:06 pm

A hipster is sort of an elitist who listens to some of the aforementioned bands, and has a certain set of interests that make them considered to be esoteric/intellectual. They think they're smarter for listening to the music they do. People who are actually "indie" are sort of hipsters, IMO. Like who only like "indie" things. But there're two categories: adult hipsters and teeny hipsters.

Written By: Apricot on 06/14/06 at 9:38 pm

A hipster is sort of an elitist who listens to some of the aforementioned bands, and has a certain set of interests that make them considered to be esoteric/intellectual. They think they're smarter for listening to the music they do. People who are actually "indie" are sort of hipsters, IMO. Like who only like "indie" things. But there're two categories: adult hipsters and teeny hipsters.

I think the term still blankets a little too much.. There are a lot of people who like that music that abhor hipsters and their culture.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/14/06 at 11:52 pm

I think the term still blankets a little too much.. There are a lot of people who like that music that abhor hipsters and their culture.

Precisely. I don't delight in Hipster-bashing, but I'm hardly a plastic Hipster either. What about the true arty intellectual types? Those that don't follow what they do on the basis of popularity and fashion?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:08 am

Precisely. I don't delight in Hipster-bashing, but I'm hardly a plastic Hipster either. What about the true arty intellectual types? Those that don't follow what they do on the basis of popularity and fashion?

Yeah, a hipster isn't anyone who listens to the music...it also implies a certain scary uniformity of taste. Like everything they like is approved by some mysterious hipster in the sky.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:11 am

Yeah, a hipster isn't anyone who listens to the music...it also implies a certain scary uniformity of taste. Like everything they like is approved by some mysterious hipster in the sky.

I was never aware of 'Hipsters' as such when in high school. People interested in music tended to be the 'arty' types, who listened to stuff other than what was on the Top 40 (I have to admit I sort of followed the Top 40 in lower High School), but they were probably too young to be part of the whole Hipster philosophy. The furthest they went was perhaps an interest in poetry, simple philosophy, sci-fi/religious/psuedo-religious concepts, liberal political worldview.etc

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:15 am

I was never aware of 'Hipsters' as such when in high school. People interested in music tended to be the 'arty' types, who listened to stuff other than what was on the Top 40 (I have to admit I sort of followed the Top 40 in lower High School), but they were probably too young to be part of the whole Hipster philosophy. The furthest they went was perhaps an interest in poetry, simple philosophy, sci-fi/religious/psuedo-religious concepts, liberal political worldview.etc

In the US, the teen hipsters started around the class of '04. But they really center around the classes of '05-'08.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:17 am

In the US, the teen hipsters started around the class of '04. But they really center around the classes of '05-'08.

Do hipsters tend to wear their hear long?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:23 am

Do hipsters tend to wear their hear long?

Yeah.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:25 am

Yeah.

If you had to bundle yourself into one of the many cliches you so often mention, which would it be? I mean, you must be a bit of a Hipster. lol

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:25 am

If you had to bundle yourself into one of the many cliches you so often mention, which would it be? I mean, you must be a bit of a Hipster. lol

I'm a little bit like an '80s or '90s hipster. I like some "hipsterish" things. But I'm gay, it's a little bit different. I'm an "intellectual Jewish gay guy."

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:28 am

I'm a little bit like an '80s or '90s hipster. I like some "hipsterish" things. But I'm gay, it's a little bit different. I'm an "intellectual Jewish gay guy."

Yeah, I could see myself as an 80s Romantic, or a 90s arty hipster type in some ways. I'm a bit anti-fashion (not just clothing fashion, but music, society.etc), yet I'm not a slob (well, I hope so, lol). I'm something of a conformist, yet I just happen to be quite ordinary and boring. Do you think you identify most with your ethnicity/sexual orientation? Like some wound identify with nationality, political view, religion.etc.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:31 am

Yeah, I could see myself as an 80s Romantic, or a 90s arty hipster type in some ways. I'm a bit anti-fashion (not just clothing fashion, but music, society.etc), yet I'm not a slob (well, I hope so, lol). I'm something of a conformist, yet I just happen to be quite ordinary and boring. Do you think you identify most with your ethnicity/sexual orientation? Like some wound identify with nationality, political view, religion.etc.

Yeah...I identify more with being Jewish and gay than anything else.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/07/06 at 4:02 pm

A hipster - Tubeway General  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/07/06 at 4:06 pm

Now I know what a hipster is, it is the basically the exact opposite of what I am, lol.

Written By: Suite Life on 07/07/06 at 7:07 pm

I'm more of a late '80's teenybopper, though was born in the mid 1980's,  than a hipster  ::)

Written By: Criz on 07/08/06 at 5:12 am

I don't know whether I'd be classed as a hipster - I like all of the indie stuff mentioned!! (Interpol, The Smiths etc...)

Written By: Suite Life on 07/08/06 at 7:08 pm

Dour drivel like Regina Spektor is hipster music  :P

I'm not into the TRL garbage either...

I'm in a class of my own  :D

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 07/08/06 at 7:24 pm

Check this out, thoughI find it puzzling that  Bryan Adams is considered "hipster music"

http://www.mrhipster.com/music

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/09/06 at 5:52 am

Check this out, thoughI find it puzzling that  Bryan Adams is considered "hipster music"

http://www.mrhipster.com/music

It also says Jay-Z and the Offspring are Hipster music... 8)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/09/06 at 4:16 pm

It also says Jay-Z and the Offspring are Hipster music... 8)

That list is crap  ;D. Hipster music is like, Arcade Fire, Regina Spektor, Bright Eyes, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah...

Written By: Nick Diamond on 07/09/06 at 10:47 pm

That list is crap  ;D. Hipster music is like, Arcade Fire, Regina Spektor, Bright Eyes, Clap Your Hands Say Yeah...

Regina Spektor is like a mixture of PJ Harvey with Bjork minus the talent  :P ::)

A hipster singer/songwriter:

http://static.flickr.com/36/75415232_e22ca05954.jpg

Though Ashley Tisdale, the cutest hipster in the world, did the "Ugg Face" on the pretentious buffoon on a celebrity fight fan fic

Written By: Popster on 07/09/06 at 10:50 pm

Is MC Lars hipster music, if not I'm throwing my CD away  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...