inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Subculture Birth Ranges/Big "Class" Changes

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 2:13 pm

Classes of '94-'00: The primary "grunge" classes.
Classes of '98-'00: The range of the "mallgoths" who stuck through it as teens.
Classes of '01-'05: Nu Metal fans peak...in that they stuck through it through high school. There are people who are "ex-nu metal fans" graduating in the latter half of the '00s, though, and it's now become "loser music" for people around my age.
Classes of '06-'10: The "emos." Emos really aren't found much outside this age range, beginning and ending oh-so-suddenly. Also, the legions of nu metal fans peter out pretty abruptly after the class of '05. The typical emo is born either in 1989 or 1991, I think. There's also a difference between people who like emo born to about mid 1990, and the ones after, who are a little bit more preppy and teenybopper-y.
Classes of '04-'08: The teen hipsters/indies.

Subject: Re: Subculture Birth Ranges/Big "Class" Changes

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/14/06 at 2:40 pm

Classes of '94-'00: The primary "grunge" classes.
Classes of '98-'00: The range of the "mallgoths" who stuck through it as teens.
Classes of '01-'05: Nu Metal fans peak...in that they stuck through it through high school. There are people who are "ex-nu metal fans" graduating in the latter half of the '00s, though, and it's now become "loser music" for people around my age.
Classes of '06-'10: The "emos." Emos really aren't found much outside this age range, beginning and ending oh-so-suddenly. Also, the legions of nu metal fans peter out pretty abruptly after the class of '05. The typical emo is born either in 1989 or 1991, I think. There's also a difference between people who like emo born to about mid 1990, and the ones after, who are a little bit more preppy and teenybopper-y.
Classes of '04-'08: The teen hipsters/indies.

By 1996 grunge was basically dead, so it would've been the Classes of 1991-96; however, grunge had it's circles in high schools. But I wouldn't classify groups by one small music genre b/c that's incredibly generalizing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 2:48 pm

By 1996 grunge was basically dead, so it would've been the Classes of 1991-96; however, grunge had it's circles in high schools. But I wouldn't classify groups by one small music genre b/c that's incredibly generalizing.

I'm classifying the genres by group, not the groups by genres. Also, sometimes people will stay into the stuff they got into around 16, even if it's dead by the time they're 18. Like, the class of '05 was still very into nu metal, but it was dead by their senior year of high school.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/14/06 at 2:52 pm

I'm classifying the genres by group, not the groups by genres. Also, sometimes people will stay into the stuff they got into around 16, even if it's dead by the time they're 18. Like, the class of '05 was still very into nu metal, but it was dead by their senior year of high school.

Grunge was only a small part of the music in the early '90s, look at the charts. It was big yes, but so was hip-hop and stuff.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/14/06 at 2:53 pm

I graduated from H.S in 2000, so I apparently fit in the top two categories......although to be honest, I was never one of those "mall goths".  I love shopping at Hot Topic, but I can't dress in all black like that.  I live in the Deep South.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 2:56 pm

Grunge was only a small part of the music in the early '90s, look at the charts. It was big yes, but so was hip-hop and stuff.

So was house music, which I think arguably had more to do with ushering in the '90s in terms of what was on the charts than grunge.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/14/06 at 3:07 pm

So was house music, which I think arguably had more to do with ushering in the '90s in terms of what was on the charts than grunge.

Yeah I agree.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/14/06 at 6:15 pm

Definitely, the last class full of nu metalheads who were still at it during high school graduation was the class of '05. The class of '06 starts the emos.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/14/06 at 10:23 pm

The only terms I see regularly tossed around these days are "Emo" and "Goth." "Nu metalhead" sounds pretty cheesy.

I think America being seen by people all over the world as an economic disaster, as studied by economists, is a major shift, even for the '80s and early '90s. The rest of the world does not toe the line like the "New York Times"! And like a lot generations at crucial times in other nations, this current generation better get d*mned political! Come on, you're going to have to make Noam Chomsky look like a moderate if you're going to save this country!

This working classes in this country have a pathololgic tendency to self-blme!

Marx not Freud.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:10 am

The only terms I see regularly tossed around these days are "Emo" and "Goth." "Nu metalhead" sounds pretty cheesy.

I think America being seen by people all over the world as an economic disaster, as studied by economists, is a major shift, even for the '80s and early '90s. The rest of the world does not toe the line like the "New York Times"! And like a lot generations at crucial times in other nations, this current generation better get d*mned political! Come on, you're going to have to make Noam Chomsky look like a moderate if you're going to save this country!

This working classes in this country have a pathololgic tendency to self-blme!

Marx not Freud.

Young goths don't really exist anymore. They've turned emo/indie/scene. Most of the skaters have, too.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:16 am

Young goths don't really exist anymore. They've turned emo/indie/scene. Most of the skaters have, too.

Goths and 'Hard-core' emos are pretty much synonymous and indistinguishable. Emo is sort of more a mainstream, hipsterish Goth.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:25 am

Goths and 'Hard-core' emos are pretty much synonymous and indistinguishable. Emo is sort of more a mainstream, hipsterish Goth.

It's also pretty toned-down, I think. Like no white paste-y makeup.

Speaking of "class changes", the US class of '04 (born around 1986), was definitely a big change from the class of '03. Like they seem much, much closer to my age, despite being only a year younger.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:26 am

It's also pretty toned-down, I think. Like no white paste-y makeup.

Speaking of "class changes", the US class of '04 (born around 1986), was definitely a big change from the class of '03. Like they seem much, much closer to my age, despite being only a year younger.

Yes, sociologists often mark 1985/86 as a big divide - I too tend to notice it. I feel 1985 was the last year of the true 'MTV' Generation, and 1986 probably the first of the Digital Age. I graduated in 2003 (due to the school system down here), and the years before me seem significantly older than the years below me are younger.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 5:32 am

Yes, sociologists often mark 1985/86 as a big divide - I too tend to notice it. I feel 1985 was the last year of the true 'MTV' Generation, and 1986 probably the first of the Digital Age. I graduated in 2003 (due to the school system down here), and the years before me seem significantly older than the years below me are younger.

I also think the '86ers are the first people to have had all their teen years when computers were ubiquitous and to have next to 0 real '90s teen cred.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 5:36 am

I also think the '86ers are the first people to have had all their teen years when computers were ubiquitous and to have next to 0 real '90s teen cred.

Yeah, the 90s seemed to 'belong' to 20somethingyear olds or pre-teen kids - teen culture was mostly manifested in music (e.g. Nirvana), movies like 'Clueless', and TV shows like 'Clarissa Explains it All,' 'Saved by the Bell, 'Degrassi.etc'. 00s seems more teen-focused.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 12:16 pm

It's still generalizing an entire class. You have to consider that many in my class (1994) did not listen to grunge. We had dance, alternative, rap, hiphop, metal, pop, and some others. However, I do see what you are saying - that in the phenomenon these classes existed. However, I would still tweak the first class.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 1:05 pm

It's still generalizing an entire class. You have to consider that many in my class (1994) did not listen to grunge. We had dance, alternative, rap, hiphop, metal, pop, and some others. However, I do see what you are saying - that in the phenomenon these classes existed. However, I would still tweak the first class.

I agree, you really can't generalize like this because it's not accurate. Same goes for all the other class, for example calling the classes of 06-10 the "emo" classes makes no sense considering hip hop is far more popular than emo within that age group.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 1:55 pm

I agree, you really can't generalize like this because it's not accurate. Same goes for all the other class, for example calling the classes of 06-10 the "emo" classes makes no sense considering hip hop is far more popular than emo within that age group.

Yes, but of rock genres. Emo, ranging from the pretentious (think Bright Eyes) to the poppy (Simple Plan) is the rock genre that defines the classes of '06-'10.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 2:03 pm

Yes, but of rock genres. Emo, ranging from the pretentious (think Bright Eyes) to the poppy (Simple Plan) is the rock genre that defines the classes of '06-'10.

Yeah if you're talking about rock specifically then emo is the dominant genre, same thing with grunge in the early '90s, but when you look at popular music in general it's a different story.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 4:09 pm

Yeah if you're talking about rock specifically then emo is the dominant genre, same thing with grunge in the early '90s, but when you look at popular music in general it's a different story.

Yeah. People graduating high school in the '00s can largely be divided into two rock camps, based on half. People graduating '01-'05 most likely liked nu metal/post-grunge, whereas '06-'10 most likely like emo and hipster music.

Check for new replies or respond here...