inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Rihanna

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/15/06 at 1:08 am

Robyn Rihanna Fenty (born February 20, 1988), principally known by the stage name Rihanna, is a Barbadian R&B singer with musical influences from pop, hip hop, dancehall, and soca.

Rihanna was born on the Caribbean island of Barbados in the parish of St. Michael. She was discovered by music producer Evan Rogers while he was vacationing in Barbados with his wife Jackie, who is also Bajan.

Rogers, along with his partner Carl Sturken, helped Rihanna record demo material that was sent to various recording companies including Def Jam, where Rihanna auditioned for CEO Jay-Z and was signed on-the-spot.

Her debut album Music of the Sun, which she co-wrote, was released in August 2005 and was led by the single "Pon de Replay", which peaked at number two on both the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and the UK Singles Chart. The second single, "If It's Lovin' That You Want", was less successful than its predecessor but still reached the top twenty in many countries. The album itself peaked within the top ten in Canada, and the U.S., and within the top forty in the UK. It has received platinum certifications in several countries. To promote the album, Rihanna toured with Gwen Stefani.

In 2006, Rihanna landed several endorsement deals, including ones for Nike and J.C. Penney. In addition to a cameo role in Bring It On 3, she also released her second album, A Girl Like Me, in April 2006 less than eight months after the release of her debut album. The album debuted at number five in the U.S. and number six in the UK. The lead single, "SOS (Rescue Me)", was used in her endorsement deal with Nike. The song reached number one on the Billboard Hot 100, Pop 100, Hot Dance Music/Club Play, and debuted at number one on the Hot Digital Songs chart where it became the biggest first week digital single ever with over 169,000 copies sold in its first week. The song also peaked at number one in Australia and number two in the UK. The second single from the album, "Unfaithful" written by Ne-Yo, is a slow ballad which addresses the feelings of guilt a girl faces as she cheats on her boyfriend. The song became her third top 10 hit in the U.S.

Subject: Re: Rihanna

Written By: whistledog on 06/15/06 at 1:21 am

Holy 1988 .. I had no idea she was so young.  That would make her 17 I guess?  Man, she looks good for 17

I love her song SOS.  IT makes great use of a Soft Cell classic 8)

Written By: nally on 06/18/06 at 5:52 pm

Holy 1988 .. I had no idea she was so young.  That would make her 17 I guess?  Man, she looks good for 17

1988 was 18 years ago ;) She looks even better for 18. 8)

Heck, I think I may even remember what I was doing on the day she was born! It was a Saturday, so I obviously wasn't in school. I was probably at home watching the Winter Olympic Games from Calgary.

I love her song SOS.  IT makes great use of a Soft Cell classic 8)

"Tainted Love",that is. I have grown quite fond of it over the last four months as well.

Written By: nally on 06/14/07 at 5:18 pm

She recently released another album, Good Girl Gone Bad, the first single of which is titled "Umbrella" (i think). She recently performed it on The View and looked great. 8)

Written By: whistledog on 06/18/07 at 5:23 pm

She does look good yes, but I like her best with longer hair  :)

Written By: SemperYoda on 06/18/07 at 5:26 pm

She recently released another album, Good Girl Gone Bad, the first single of which is titled "Umbrella" (i think). She recently performed it on The View and looked great. 8)

Umbrella drives me nuts.

Written By: statsqueen on 06/18/07 at 5:35 pm

Umbrella drives me nuts.

Me, too, Scott.  Micah and I race to see who can change the station faster when we hear it come on the radio in the car.  I wasn't a big fan of SOS, though I did like Soft Cell's.

Check for new replies or respond here...