inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone still hate the '90s?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 3:09 pm

Even less than a year ago there was tons of '90s hate. There's almost none now. What's happened?

Subject: Re: Does anyone still hate the '90s?

Written By: Bobby on 06/15/06 at 3:25 pm

I hate the 90s after 1991 for personal reasons.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/15/06 at 3:30 pm

I never hated them. They just flew by. I hated some experiences in the decade, but not the decade itself.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 4:11 pm

Alot of people really hated the '90s from like 2002 to 2004...that was the "it's not the '90s anymore!" period, when I was in middle school. Since I've been in high school and specifically since it became 2006, even 1998 and 1999 are getting so far away that people are nostalgic for them, since even most 1999ish things disappeared by late 2004. I think there're definitely some "anti-'90s" attitudes around in culture nowadays, though.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/15/06 at 4:17 pm

Alot of people really hated the '90s from like 2002 to 2004...that was the "it's not the '90s anymore!" period, when I was in middle school. Since I've been in high school and specifically since it became 2006, even 1998 and 1999 are getting so far away that people are nostalgic for them, since even most 1999ish things disappeared by late 2004. I think there're definitely some "anti-'90s" attitudes around in culture nowadays, though.

I mean among people who love the '80s. It seems the people who love the '80s and the people who love the '90s are sort of uniting.

Written By: woops on 06/15/06 at 4:38 pm

I don't, though I like most music and tv shows  of the early '90's

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/15/06 at 6:43 pm

I mean among people who love the '80s. It seems the people who love the '80s and the people who love the '90s are sort of uniting.

Yeah. But, also...there sort of was a "it's not the '90s anymore!" attitude around 2002-2005 or so. Particularly around 2003. Like I was still wearing flannel in 2003, and people kept telling me "man! Stop wearing flannel! It's not the '90s anymore!" Also, there were alot of people who hated '90s-style teen pop, house music, etc. around then, and who were like "the '00s is sooo aesthetically pleasing and exciting." Around 2003 was when most people liked the '00s. Also, people kept trying to get me into '00s music around then, which doesn't happen much anymore.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/15/06 at 10:17 pm

Yeah. But, also...there sort of was a "it's not the '90s anymore!" attitude around 2002-2005 or so. Particularly around 2003. Like I was still wearing flannel in 2003, and people kept telling me "man! Stop wearing flannel! It's not the '90s anymore!" Also, there were alot of people who hated '90s-style teen pop, house music, etc. around then, and who were like "the '00s is sooo aesthetically pleasing and exciting." Around 2003 was when most people liked the '00s. Also, people kept trying to get me into '00s music around then, which doesn't happen much anymore.

Yeah,  there was sort of a backlash in the early 00s - I think the era (read society) was really trying to define itself, and loosen itself from the perceived social and psychological 'shackles' of the modernist 90s, and an age considered comparatively primitive. I never really felt the 90s backlash with anything like the sensitivity I detected the 80s backlash (which peaked about 2001), but I know it was there in the early part of the decade. 90s Nostalgia will likely pick up in the very late part of this decade, or the early 2010s.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/16/06 at 12:32 am

That's true, perhaps because both are 20th Century and, despite their differences, do share alot in common (VHS, somewhat of a "pre-internet/cell phone" dominated era, cassettes). In 1993 a typical Brat Packer and a typical Nirvana fan probably hated each other, but now it's sort of a "Hey dude, I'm sorry we fought, you're actually pretty cool after all"-attitude. ;D

BTW I always liked the '90s, but in 2003 even, they were nothing special per se (well not the 1997+ 90s), whereas now, I even get a little sad thinking about 1999 being more noticeably gone. So yeah, you could say I like them more now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 12:35 am

I've personally always had some liking for the '90s, it probably has increased though as the '90s have become further and further away.

Written By: whistledog on 06/16/06 at 1:09 am

I suffered through the 90s.  I wasn't a big fan of the music, so I pretty much blocked out the decade as a whole

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:55 am

Does anyone else here agree the '90s backlash was about 2002-2004, or so? That was when you heard the most about people being excited about how stylish and modernist and hopeful the '00s were culturally, criticizing boy bands and techno, when reality TV was the most dominant, and when you heard "It's not the '90s anymore!" Like liking grunge or early '90s stuff like Dinosaur Jr. got you excoriated in some circles, and the '90s were widely just seen as out of date. Also, Avril Lavigne and Pink were a backlash to 1999, even.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/20/06 at 6:24 pm

I've never hated the '90s. Up until early 2005, I liked the '90s, but wasn't a '90s nostalgist. But in early 2005, that's when I became a huge '90s fan. And I'm proud of it! Long live the '90s! 8)

A few months ago I was telling some of my classmates I loved the '90s. One boy who was born in 1991 said that he didn't care for the '90s. He said that he loved the 2000's.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 6:32 pm

A few months ago I was telling some of my classmates I loved the '90s. One boy who was born in 1991 said that he didn't care for the '90s. He said that he loved the 2000's.

You see, I find that SO weird because I'm an '81er and of course I love the '80s (both in a current sense and an overall one), but of EVERYONE my age I've talked to about it or what I recall, we all at least remember 1988 or 89 or played some NES games at the time. I don't buy that he doesn't care for the '90s - maybe he just doesn't want to admit liking something from 1998 when he was 6-7.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/20/06 at 6:36 pm

You see, I find that SO weird because I'm an '81er and of course I love the '80s (both in a current sense and an overall one), but of EVERYONE my age I've talked to about it or what I recall, we all at least remember 1988 or 89 or played some NES games at the time. I don't buy that he doesn't care for the '90s - maybe he just doesn't want to admit liking something from 1998 when he was 6-7.

Yeah, people don't like to think there's as much of a '90s backlash as there has been. For example, liking grunge and other '90s alternative hard rock is one of the most firmly "out of style" things right now.

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/20/06 at 7:02 pm

Yeah, people don't like to think there's as much of a '90s backlash as there has been. For example, liking grunge and other '90s alternative hard rock is one of the most firmly "out of style" things right now.

What's weird is how LONG it took, lol. Even in the early 2000s, it was vaguely cool to like Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, which was a bit confusing to me (at the time I remembered thinking they'd probably be eternally cool if they were already 8-10 years old then), but it took until at least 2003 for them to be "uncool/backlashed".

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/20/06 at 7:06 pm

What's weird is how LONG it took, lol. Even in the early 2000s, it was vaguely cool to like Stone Temple Pilots, Pearl Jam and Nirvana, which was a bit confusing to me (at the time I remembered thinking they'd probably be eternally cool if they were already 8-10 years old then), but it took until at least 2003 for them to be "uncool/backlashed".

Yeah. It really wasn't until I was in 8th grade that those bands were backlashed heavily. By the middle of 2003, they were definitely backlashed, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...