inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dates of Loser-Ism

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 6:47 pm

When do you think the following things became "loser" things to like?

Nu metal-Maybe the middle of 2004 was when it all became totally loserish. Now, it's considered the music the "losers" listen to.
Pokemon-For most people, 2001.
Teen pop-To actively still worship Nick Lachey and Justin Timberlake has probably been a little "loserish, stuck in the past" since the middle of 2004 and in many ways since 2002.
Raves/House-Probably about 2001...though it never really did.
Hair metal-Late 1991 or early 1992.
Grunge-It never totally became a loserish thing, but it was seen as "passed" by 1997 or 1998, and passe in every way by 2002.

Subject: Re: Dates of Loser-Ism

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/16/06 at 9:35 pm

I'm wary of such an epithet.
When I was a kid, all the music I liked was called "loser" music to like by the Heavy Metal fascists in my school...

...(yo cut it)
Soy un perdedor I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me?
(double-barrel buckshot)
Soy un perdedor i'm a loser baby,so why don't you kill me?
Forces of evil in a bozo nightmare
banned all the music with a phony gas chamber..

--Beck

I was older by the time Beck emerged and "Loser" became an indie smash hit, but I always thought of it as a retrospective anthem for me!

Written By: Tia on 06/16/06 at 9:41 pm

i think stairway is ready for a comeback. i'm convinced of it, in the same way bill is convinced he's being pursued by screws.

i must die so stairway can live!

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 10:25 pm

I'm wary of such an epithet.
When I was a kid, all the music I liked was called "loser" music to like by the Heavy Metal fascists in my school...

...(yo cut it)
Soy un perdedor I'm a loser baby so why don't you kill me?
(double-barrel buckshot)
Soy un perdedor i'm a loser baby,so why don't you kill me?
Forces of evil in a bozo nightmare
banned all the music with a phony gas chamber..

--Beck

I was older by the time Beck emerged and "Loser" became an indie smash hit, but I always thought of it as a retrospective anthem for me!

Hmm, was new wave actually sort of "loser"-ish music in the '80s?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:50 pm

When do you think the following things became "loser" things to like?

Nu metal-Maybe the middle of 2004 was when it all became totally loserish. Now, it's considered the music the "losers" listen to.
Pokemon-For most people, 2001.
Teen pop-To actively still worship Nick Lachey and Justin Timberlake has probably been a little "loserish, stuck in the past" since the middle of 2004 and in many ways since 2002.
Raves/House-Probably about 2001...though it never really did.
Hair metal-Late 1991 or early 1992.
Grunge-It never totally became a loserish thing, but it was seen as "passed" by 1997 or 1998, and passe in every way by 2002.

I really don't care what people call 'loser' music or not, hence don't take much notice of it. I know few people - even losers - that still listen to Nu Metal tho.  ;D

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:52 pm

Some nu metal is still popular, "Cold" by Crossfade is nu-metalish and it was a big hit on the radio here last year, and "Right Here" by Staind has been gettting decent airplay on the pop station over here. Papa Roach was still popular last year. Linkin Park is still liked by a lot of people.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/06 at 12:19 am

Hmm, was new wave actually sort of "loser"-ish music in the '80s?

Whatever it was--whether you mean Talking Heads, AFOS, Elvis Costello, Duran Duran, XTC, Depche Mode--it was NOT hard rock/heavy metal. And if was not hard rock/heavy metal you were listening to, you were a f@g, and if you were a f@g, you were a dead f@g. That's the depressing truth about suburban America in the early '80s. The portrait John Hughes painted was applicable in some of the plummier communities and more urbane areas...but not in Dullsville U.S.A.
The girls could like Duran Duran, Wham!, Nik Kershaw, Thompson Twins or whatever because, you know, they're girls.
As Jello Biafra remarked about heavy metal, "No gym teacher could get more kids to all dress alike!" True in more than one way, they used wear their metalhead t-shirts in phys ed!

"Loser-ish"? I thought the heavy metal burnouts were "loser-ish," but when you're so outnumbered...

Mind you, this is not to disparage heavy metal music, heavy metal bands, or even people who like heavy metal music. I know guys who love heavy metal, and they're some of the nicest guys I know. The factioning-by-pop music preference was part of an expression of suburban pathology. I don't doubt it goes on today with the pathology manifesting in current pop music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 12:28 am

Whatever it was--whether you mean Talking Heads, AFOS, Elvis Costello, Duran Duran, XTC, Depche Mode--it was NOT hard rock/heavy metal. And if was not hard rock/heavy metal you were listening to, you were a f@g, and if you were a f@g, you were a dead f@g. That's the depressing truth about suburban America in the early '80s. The portrait John Hughes painted was applicable in some of the plummier communities and more urbane areas...but not in Dullsville U.S.A.
The girls could like Duran Duran, Wham!, Nik Kershaw, Thompson Twins or whatever because, you know, they're girls.
As Jello Biafra remarked about heavy metal, "No gym teacher could get more kids to all dress alike!" True in more than one way, they used wear their metalhead t-shirts in phys ed!

"Loser-ish"? I thought the heavy metal burnouts were "loser-ish," but when you're so outnumbered...

Mind you, this is not to disparage heavy metal music, heavy metal bands, or even people who like heavy metal music. I know guys who love heavy metal, and they're some of the nicest guys I know. The factioning-by-pop music preference was part of an expression of suburban pathology. I don't doubt it goes on today with the pathology manifesting in current pop music.

Yeah, John Hughes' portraits of the '80s communities were far more applicable to affluent, upper half of the middle-class communities around large cities like Chicago or NYC.

Check for new replies or respond here...