inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Makes the iPod so '00s?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 10:32 pm

Is it the "look of it" (the super-modern, dull, white, but "aesthetically sound" feeling) that goes along with the midcentury modern revival? The compact size and useless features? The status symbol-ness and look of expensiveness? The opportunities for customization? The association with both preppie/materialistic culture and hipster culture? The corporateness?

Subject: Re: What Makes the iPod so '00s?

Written By: rich1981 on 06/16/06 at 10:36 pm

It's portability and style, but also what you just mentioned. These traits can be found with most any other mp3 player, but the ipod is the most over-hyped one of its kind.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 10:37 pm

Its style and simplicism.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 10:41 pm

Its style and simplicism.

I also think the "status symbol"-ness of it is very '00s. It's sort of the equivalent of what walkmen, VCRs, and CD players were for yuppies and rich teenagers in the '80s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:48 pm

Is it the "look of it" (the super-modern, dull, white, but "aesthetically sound" feeling) that goes along with the midcentury modern revival? The compact size and useless features? The status symbol-ness and look of expensiveness? The opportunities for customization? The association with both preppie/materialistic culture and hipster culture? The corporateness?

The fact that any MP3 player - ipod or not - is basically exclusive to the 00s?  ??? The ipod just happens to be to the MP3 player what the Hoover is to the Vacuum cleaner.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:49 pm

The fact that any MP3 player - ipod or not - is basically exclusive to the 00s?  ??? The ipod just happens to be to the MP3 player what the Hoover is to the Vacuum cleaner.

Also, though, the design and way it's marketed, and the response to it are very '00s.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:50 pm

Also, though, the design and way it's marketed, and the response to it are very '00s.

No, its just very Apple.  ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/16/06 at 11:53 pm

I f*cking love my iPod nano.

Written By: Ghandi on 06/17/06 at 6:38 am

What Makes the iPod so '00s?

Because it was released in the '00s.....

Plus, it's extremely popular.  Almost everyone today has an iPod.  So far it's probably the best thing to debut in the '00s

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 9:22 am

I f*cking love my iPod nano.

Nano's suck  :D, I got myself a brand spankin' new 5G 60GB ipod video. Worth every penny!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/17/06 at 1:07 pm

Nano's suck  :D, I got myself a brand spankin' new 5G 60GB ipod video. Worth every penny!

I don't think they suck.  It suits my needs and it was a birthday present from my sister.  She couldn't afford more than that.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/06 at 1:13 pm

What Makes the iPod so '00s?

Silicone Chips

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/18/06 at 12:57 pm

The fact that it was made in the 00s!  ;D

Nanos don't suck btw!

Check for new replies or respond here...