inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Did People in 2000 Think the '00s Were Going to Be Like?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:08 pm

I'm guessing people were starting to get sick of teen pop. I also think "hipsters" by then thought stuff like the Strokes and the White Stripes was going to save rock and roll.

Subject: Re: What Did People in 2000 Think the '00s Were Going to Be Like?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:11 pm

Personally since teen pop was so big at the time, I thought it would be a big thing throughout the '00s, or at least it wouldn't die off as fast as it did. I kind of expected to rise of hip hop maybe not at the level it got too, but I knew it would probably get bigger.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:13 pm

Personally since teen pop was so big at the time, I thought it would be a big thing throughout the '00s, or at least it wouldn't die off as fast as it did. I kind of expected to rise of hip hop maybe not at the level it got too, but I knew it would probably get bigger.

I remember thinking in 1999 that it was peaking at the moment and defined the late '90s. Also, people probably thought nu metal and stuff like South Park would stay bigger through the '00s. But there was definitely a 2001ish sentiment by people in the know that the Strokes were going to "save rock", which now seems pretty ridiculous.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:19 pm

I remember thinking in 1999 that it was peaking at the moment and defined the late '90s. Also, people probably thought nu metal and stuff like South Park would stay bigger through the '00s. But there was definitely a 2001ish sentiment by people in the know that the Strokes were going to "save rock", which now seems pretty ridiculous.

Yeah I remember rock revolving around all the nu metal at that time like Limp Bizkit, Korn, Incubus, Papa Roach, etc.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:23 pm

I didn't really come to the conclusion that teen pop was on the way out until like fall 2001 when it very noticeably was on the decline. I still liked a lot of it even in Summer 2001.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/16/06 at 11:29 pm

I didn't really come to the conclusion that teen pop was on the way out until like fall 2001 when it very noticeably was on the decline. I still liked a lot of it even in Summer 2001.

I actually even thought in late 2000 that it was just a little bit going out. I didn't know what would replace it, but it was definitely past its peak by winter 2000, as I remember.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:32 pm

I actually even thought in late 2000 that it was just a little bit going out. I didn't know what would replace it, but it was definitely past its peak by winter 2000, as I remember.

Yeah I know it was fading by late 2000, but I just couldn't let it go. Even in early 2002 I was into some teen pop ish songs like Don't Say Goodbye by Paulina Rubio and Sugarhigh by Jade Anderson.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:33 pm

I dunno. I was never one to make any predictions of what the decade would be like when I was 14 in 2000. I was probably mainly concerned with the tech-side of things, and expected music.etc to get more electronicized, so sort of greeted the bare bones noveau Garage style of the Strokes, and the widening appeal of AOR rock into the teen market as with some surprise.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:35 pm

I dunno. I was never one to make any predictions of what the decade would be like when I was 14 in 2000. I was probably mainly concerned with the tech-side of things, and expected music.etc to get more electronicized, so sort of greeted the bare bones noveau Garage style of the Strokes, and the widening appeal of AOR rock into the teen market as with some surprise.

I honestly could care less about rock then, it was all pop and hip-hop, now I care a little more about rock, but pop is still no. 1, lol.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/16/06 at 11:42 pm

It wasn't until 2001 that I really started listening to some alternative like Staind and Incubus.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/16/06 at 11:44 pm

Strokes were going to "save rock",
I'm sick of the media and the like stating that every new band to come out each year will be the "saviours of rock" or some utter crap like that, then the band fades off into obscurity and is forgotten in a years time, only to be replaced by another "saviour of rock". Personally I don't want any "saviours of rock", I just want music that is enjoyable and listenable.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/16/06 at 11:47 pm

I'm sick of the media and the like stating that every new band to come out each year will be the "saviours of rock" or some utter crap like that, then the band fades off into obscurity and is forgotten in a years time, only to be replaced by another "saviour of rock". Personally I don't want any "saviours of rock", I just want music that is enjoyable and listenable.

Yeah, I agree...

Written By: sonikuu on 06/17/06 at 2:39 am

While I was only 11 in 2000, I remember thinking that NSync was going to be around for years.  Luckily, I was wrong.  I also remember thinking Eminem was a fad and that, while I liked his music, he would disappear within a year like every other white rapper in history.  On a more general level, I think people in 2000 thought the 00s were going to be better than they actually turned out.  Everyone was so concerned with the healthy economy and the growth of technology back in 2000 and the outlook was very positive.  No one suspected a recession, two wars with a couple years, $3 a gallon gas, and terrible natural disasters like the Asian Tsunami in late 2004.   If a person from 2000 woke up in 2004 overnight and saw the state of the world, they would be very surprised.

Written By: Ghandi on 06/17/06 at 6:30 am

No one thought that the '00s would be any different or any better.  Things still carried over from 1999 and people thought things could only get worse.  Once something starts, it expands.  We've pretty much reached the end of pop-culture by 1999/2000 so there was nothing new to look forward to.  There is no new type of music, like during the '80s and '90s music would expand and new genre's were formed, but it all came to an end around 1999.  So on the music side of things, no one expected a change.

It's not like anyone was anxiously awaiting the end of the '90s, it was just that people were a little anxious to begin a new decade and because it was the start of a new Century as well, which really got people excited and creeped out at the same time (At the thought of the "end of the world" and the "y2k bug")

It was all hype, and now everyone notices how much this decade blows.  People are already very nostalgic for the '90s

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/17/06 at 9:24 am

No one thought that the '00s would be any different or any better.  Things still carried over from 1999 and people thought things could only get worse.  Once something starts, it expands.  We've pretty much reached the end of pop-culture by 1999/2000 so there was nothing new to look forward to.  There is no new type of music, like during the '80s and '90s music would expand and new genre's were formed, but it all came to an end around 1999.  So on the music side of things, no one expected a change.

It's not like anyone was anxiously awaiting the end of the '90s, it was just that people were a little anxious to begin a new decade and because it was the start of a new Century as well, which really got people excited and creeped out at the same time (At the thought of the "end of the world" and the "y2k bug")

It was all hype, and now everyone notices how much this decade blows.  People are already very nostalgic for the '90s

I predict that, if there's any substantial 00s Nostalgia or nostalgic movement at all, it will be very muted. 90s Nostalgia will really take off circa 2008...

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 3:23 pm

I think people were sort of excited/fascinated with the '00s around 1999-2003. After that, the fascination slaked off.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/17/06 at 5:00 pm

I'm not sure that I really thought about it at the time, but in terms of pop culture I would have guessed that the '00s would be crap. I thought that music and TV, at least, had fallen pretty precipitously in quality from 1998 to 2000 (I disliked teen pop, rap, and reality TV), which didn't bode too well for the decade as a whole.

Other than that, I assumed that there would be a lot of technological changes in the '00s, particularly in relation to computers.

I used to think it was a little strange that I would have to write "20" instead of "19" whenever I wrote the year down, but I got used to it eventually. ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 5:28 pm

I'm not sure that I really thought about it at the time, but in terms of pop culture I would have guessed that the '00s would be crap. I thought that music and TV, at least, had fallen pretty precipitously in quality from 1998 to 2000 (I disliked teen pop, rap, and reality TV), which didn't bode too well for the decade as a whole.

Other than that, I assumed that there would be a lot of technological changes in the '00s, particularly in relation to computers.

I used to think it was a little strange that I would have to write "20" instead of "19" whenever I wrote the year down, but I got used to it eventually. ;)

In retrospect, even late 1998-mid 2000 weren't that bad, comparatively. Artists like Belle and Sebastian, Tori Amos, Liz Phair, Radiohead, Beck were still releasing really good CDs, and I preferred the music slightly on the radio. Also, the crap was more avoidable then than it has been since 2001 or so.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/06 at 5:39 pm

I remember being excited about writing 2000 instead of 1999 as the year, it felt so modern, very lame I know, lol.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/17/06 at 5:41 pm

I remember being excited about writing 2000 instead of 1999 as the year, it felt so modern, very lame I know, lol.

A little pet-peeve of mine is how everyone still says "TWO-THOUSAND" whenever they pronounce the years of this century. But, ah well. ;)

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/17/06 at 5:43 pm

A little pet-peeve of mine is how everyone still says "TWO-THOUSAND" whenever they pronounce the years of this century. But, ah well. ;)

Yeah I don't like it either, but eventually I think it will fade by sometime next decade. I always say "twenty-twelve" for 2012 usually.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/17/06 at 5:45 pm

Twenty-Oh-Six or Twenty-Six (for short) still doesn't sound right.

Written By: Ebontyne on 06/17/06 at 6:48 pm

Twenty-Oh-Six or Twenty-Six (for short) still doesn't sound right.

That's how I feel about the unwieldy and cumbersome year "two-thousand-and-six." It's possible that "twenty-oh-six" doesn't sound right because we've never really tried to get used to it. I think that by 2010 and beyond, though, people will start saying it the more practical, better-sounding way. ;)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/18/06 at 11:53 am

In 2000 we were hoping Bush would not win the presidency and return us to the recession years of his father's administration. We were hoping he would not win, and he didn't. But he got to be president anyway.

Furthermore, in 2000, nobody could predict 9/11 (except the people here and abroad who were planning it), so we could not see how our government would use it to usher in another age of permanent warfare and do away with our Constitutional rights.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 2:27 pm

In 2000 we were hoping Bush would not win the presidency and return us to the recession years of his father's administration. We were hoping he would not win, and he didn't. But he got to be president anyway.

Furthermore, in 2000, nobody could predict 9/11 (except the people here and abroad who were planning it), so we could not see how our government would use it to usher in another age of permanent warfare and do away with our Constitutional rights.

Yeah...we were surprisingly still quite naive then and had a "Clintonesque" mindset about the world in a way even up to the middle of 2001, through the time I was in 5th grade. I remember all the confusion and distress over the election of Bush, and how in late 2000 me and all the other Gore-supporters were cursing Bush. The naivete of the way people supported the Green Party in 2000 seems quite '90s and optimistic/stupid, still.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/18/06 at 6:05 pm

There's a lot of '90s nostalgia right now, however it's only isolated and hidden.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 11:23 am

There's a lot of '90s nostalgia right now, however it's only isolated and hidden.

I don't see any signs of real 90s nostalgia. They haven't started showing Baywatch and Melrose Place re-runs on free to air TV yet.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 11:33 am

Yeah, I really didn't think much about that either back in 2000. For the most part I just assumed that rap and teen pop would stay big for most of the decade.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:08 pm

Yeah, I really didn't think much about that either back in 2000. For the most part I just assumed that rap and teen pop would stay big for most of the decade.

Yeah, I sort of saw the explosion of 'Black' music in the early to mid 00s, but didn't predict the 80s nostalgia thing.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/19/06 at 12:17 pm

Yeah, I sort of saw the explosion of 'Black' music in the early to mid 00s, but didn't predict the 80s nostalgia thing.

Yeah, I didn't really see the whole '80s nostalgia thing either. To be honest other than seeing That '70s Show on Fox I didn't really notice the '70s nostalgia movenment in the '90s either.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:20 pm

Yeah, I didn't really see the whole '80s nostalgia thing either. To be honest other than seeing That '70s Show on Fox I didn't really notice the '70s nostalgia movenment in the '90s either.

Yeah, it was mainly in cinema (Jackie Brown), a little bit in fashion (hairstyles mainly), re-runs of 70s shows like the Brady Bunch and MASH on TV, the interest in certain 90s bands from ABBA, to K.C. and the Sunshine Band to Pink Floyd.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:36 pm

Yeah, it was mainly in cinema (Jackie Brown), a little bit in fashion (hairstyles mainly), re-runs of 70s shows like the Brady Bunch and MASH on TV, the interest in certain 90s bands from ABBA, to K.C. and the Sunshine Band to Pink Floyd.

Led Zeppelin shirts began proliferating again, for one. Also, shows like MADTV constantly parodied blaxploitation, and there was more subtle '70s influence on music like the Smashing Pumpkins and the dance music that proliferated at the time. It was very big from about 1993 (with Dazed and Confused) to 2001 or so, when I Love the '80s came out. Actually, the return of the '70s was so strong c. 1997 that I even remember as a 2nd grader knowing about it...probably from my '70s teen mom commenting on it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:38 pm

Led Zeppelin shirts began proliferating again, for one. Also, shows like MADTV constantly parodied blaxploitation, and there was more subtle '70s influence on music like the Smashing Pumpkins and the dance music that proliferated at the time. It was very big from about 1993 (with Dazed and Confused) to 2001 or so, when I Love the '80s came out. Actually, the return of the '70s was so strong c. 1997 that I even remember as a 2nd grader knowing about it...probably from my '70s teen mom commenting on it.

I wish I'd paid closer attention to pop cultural trends back then. I just discovered that 'That 70s Show' premiered in the mid 90s  :o :o :o, when we only got it here around 2000. Never really liked it much anyway.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:44 pm

I wish I'd paid closer attention to pop cultural trends back then. I just discovered that 'That 70s Show' premiered in the mid 90s  :o :o :o, when we only got it here around 2000. Never really liked it much anyway.

Premiered in 1998, actually.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:46 pm

Premiered in 1998, actually.

Oh ok, my bad (I read somewhere 1996, but anyway). Ashton Kutcher would've been too young back then anyway.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 12:47 pm

Oh ok, my bad (I read somewhere 1996, but anyway). Ashton Kutcher would've been too young back then anyway.

Oh no, I have to e-shoot you now... ;)

Also, the smiley face returned. And interest in aliens then was so huge, c. 1997.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 12:49 pm

Oh no, I have to e-shoot you now... ;)

Also, the smiley face returned. And interest in aliens then was so huge, c. 1997.

lol...have I offended you in some way? Yes, I think X-Files finished up around 1999 or so (not sure on this), but there were many of those Alien shows from 1995, 1996, 1997.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/19/06 at 4:31 pm

Yeah...we were surprisingly still quite naive then and had a "Clintonesque" mindset about the world in a way even up to the middle of 2001, through the time I was in 5th grade. I remember all the confusion and distress over the election of Bush, and how in late 2000 me and all the other Gore-supporters were cursing Bush. The naivete of the way people supported the Green Party in 2000 seems quite '90s and optimistic/stupid, still.

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/nono.gif
It was not Ralph Nader and the Greens exercising their Constitutional rights that cost Gore the election, it was the illegal schemes of Katherine Harris, Jeb Bush, Choicepoint, and the extra-Constitutional interference of the partisan Republican majority on the United States Supreme Court.
Al Gore also had an utterly incompetent legal team advising him, and he gave up the fight way too easily. However, poor legal maneuvering does not exonerate the crimes committed by the Florida Republicans or the abusive of power by the U.S. Supreme Court.
If Nader had pulled out of the race, we can speculate the better part of his 92,000 Florida votes would have gone to Gore, but I'd wager Harris and Co. would have stolen Florida for Dubya nonetheless. Furthermore, the fact is, Gore did win Florida even with the so-called Nader spoiler. Albert Gore, Jr., was criminally blocked from taking his rightful office as President of the United States.

I did not vote Green in 2000. I voted for Gore. In Massachusetts, I could have voted Green, and it would have made no difference. Gore was going to win Massachusetts hand down. However, I believed so passionately in keeping Dubya out of the White House that I needed to vote for Gore on principle. As soon as Bush took his ill-gotten office, life went all to hell in America.

I should not carry on this political debate on this side of the board. Anybody who wants to contest what I say is more than welcome to on the politics board.

Written By: 1993 on 06/24/06 at 8:06 pm

America's innocence grew back, we just thought things would roll along as they were. It was alot like 1962/1963, before the Kennedy assasination and Beatles, nobody thought the 00's would be this frightening. Nobody thought the mid to late 60's would be so tumultuous.

Check for new replies or respond here...