inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "It's Not the '90s Anymore"/"It's the '00s Now"

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/17/06 at 11:00 pm

I remember around 2002-2004, even going up to early 2005, there was very much this sentiment about the '90s. Like I remember being propositioned by some "hipper" people I knew to give up wearing flannel and listening to Tori Amos and bands like the Pixies and Sonic Youth, people were badmouthing everything about the '90s or giving up the music they liked back then (particularly people in my age group, born in the late '80s), there was alot of excitement about how some new indie rock bands were going to "save rock" or something, and alot of general excitement about '00s culture as opposed to '90s culture. I think there was a shift around the last half of 2005, and noticeably around 2006, towards people stopping saying "It's not the '90s anymore", since it's so little the '90s now.

Subject: Re: "It's Not the '90s Anymore"/"It's the '00s Now"

Written By: EBMan12 on 06/17/06 at 11:09 pm

I miss the 1890's  :\'(  They were a fun time :)

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/18/06 at 8:39 pm

Bump.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/18/06 at 10:43 pm

One thing I have to say, the backlash against the 90s was nothing of the scale or scope of the anti-80s backlash which stamped itself in areas like fashion, slang.etc by 1995, and music by the late 90s. I have heard the phrase 'it's not the 90s' before, but what I usually hear is 'it's the 21st century now.' I think it was all this millenium-fever which was getting to everyone.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/19/06 at 1:33 am

One thing I have to say, the backlash against the 90s was nothing of the scale or scope of the anti-80s backlash which stamped itself in areas like fashion, slang.etc by 1995, and music by the late 90s. I have heard the phrase 'it's not the 90s' before, but what I usually hear is 'it's the 21st century now.' I think it was all this millenium-fever which was getting to everyone.

I haven't heard the phrase "it's the 21st century now", though I have heard "it's not the '90s anymore" alot. Sometimes, in sort of a bittersweet way, but alot of times more in a "It's not the '90s anymore, you need to stop wearing flannel and obsessing over Jay and Silent Bob" sort of way.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/19/06 at 2:04 am

I haven't heard the phrase "it's the 21st century now", though I have heard "it's not the '90s anymore" alot. Sometimes, in sort of a bittersweet way, but alot of times more in a "It's not the '90s anymore, you need to stop wearing flannel and obsessing over Jay and Silent Bob" sort of way.

I sometimes say 'It's the 21st century now'  ;D, though of course not in any ways putting down the 20th century. Yeah, when people say that they usually mean 'get with the times.'

Written By: Dukefan on 06/19/06 at 7:06 pm

I haven't noticed much of a 90s backlash at all to be honest.  Most of the people I talk to seem to be more reflective about what happened in the 90s rather than hostel towards it.

Written By: TheBlackGuy.returns on 10/15/06 at 7:13 pm

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/185293_trivial07.html

Sorry, Seattle -- you're over: Trivial Pursuit reunites '90s icons -- and we're one of 'em

By D. PARVAZ
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

Seattle, get over yourself. Everyone else has.

You're over; done with. Yesterday's news. Pop-cultural debris. Don't believe it? Go to the Seattle Center's International Fountain today between 10 a.m. and 1 p.m. and catch Kato Kaelin (Kato freakin' Kaelin!) bestowing us with the honor of being the Quintessential City of the '90s.

In town to launch the Trivial Pursuit 1990s Time Capsule Edition, Kaelin, along with Nancy Kerrigan and Josie Bissett, will help us "celebrate the decade that brought us grunge and Monica Lewinsky!"

Sure it seems complimentary, until you realize that the '90s were done five years ago. Of course, Trivial Pursuit manufacturer Hasbro has a more positive take on giving us the has-been award.

"Well, we sort of picked Seattle because it was clearly the front-runner," says Hasbro spokesman Mark Morris.

"Because of the grunge scene, the Starbucks coffee movement in the '90s. It's where 'Frasier' was framed," he continues. Anyway, Morris says Seattle should see this as more of an honor than a dis -- he says our decade of glory is "immortalized" in the game. You should know that no other city was even considered for this title.

Heck, if anyone has a right to complain, it's Kaelin. In case you've forgotten, let us remind you: Kaelin was living on O.J. Simpson's estate when Simpson's wife, Nicole, and boyfriend, Ron Goldman, were killed. And just that -- being in the wrong guesthouse at the wrong time -- makes Kaelin a '90s icon. But the man has a remarkably positive attitude about being unwittingly dragged into one of the messiest celebrity trials ever. And he certainly knows a thing or two about the fleeting nature of the spotlight.

Kaelin is unexpectedly funny and easygoing -- he cracks jokes at lightning speed. Just as you're trying to figure out the context of one joke (something about flying by the seat of his pants unless he's wearing a dress), he's moved on. You're three jokes behind. All in all, he's psyched about his Trivial Pursuit gig.

"They don't dwell on negative (O.J. Simpson case), plus, who doesn't play Trivial Pursuit?" he says, adding that he's a huge fan of the game. At any rate, he says he's moved beyond the Simpson deal -- he's been working steadily with small movie parts here and there and lots of radio work. He also works at comedy development at National Lampoon (there's a Paris Hilton project on the horizon) as well as a series on dumb sports (cheese rolling, anyone?).

Kaelin says he doesn't feel bad about being considered a '90s icon.

"It's because I've kind of stayed out there," he says. "I think people relate to the name Kato."

Kaelin, along with ice skater Kerrigan and local girl Bissett, a star of TV's "Melrose Place," will come out of the "time capsule" -- a 50-foot, 18-wheel trailer -- put together with the help of a Smithsonian curator. There are about 90 items in this traveling time capsule, a few of them Seattle-centric. For example, there's a Starbucks apron, a Pearl Jam record, a T-shirt worn by Kelsey Grammer on "Frasier" -- that sort of thing. If this collection leaves you underwhelmed, take comfort in the fact that we weren't responsible for the Macarena or the Backstreet Boys (but no 'N Sync -- must've been a tough call, given that they're musically indistinguishable).

Does Kaelin feel even a little uneasy about being associated with the '90s by virtue of some fairly negative stuff? No. He's enjoying his Trivial Pursuit moment with tremendous glee.

"These little things are making it better for me, and they're a chance for me to meet people," says Kaelin. "And when I play Trivial Pursuit, it's always family and friends and it's such a positive thing and it brings a smile to your face, doesn't it?"

Even so, why be nostalgic for the '90s? They're hardly over. True, VH1 has that ridiculous "I Love the '90s" show, but still. Aren't we still digging through the gaudy remains of the '70s and '80s?

"The '90s makes it (the game) very approachable," says Morris. "People out there remember the '90s. I may not remember Shakespeare's time, but I remember the '90s." Besides, Trivial Pursuit just issued the 20th anniversary edition two years ago, which focused on trivia from '82 to '02. And yes, it sold well. According to Morris, it was the No. 1 adult board game that year.

So at least we're not being celebrated by some loser game, right? And heck, if Kato can roll with being a '90s icon, maybe we could, too.

Check for new replies or respond here...