inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: new slang words

Written By: cookie on 06/21/06 at 3:57 pm

Anyone know slang words for today?  Need it for a class I'm taking :)

Subject: Re: new slang words

Written By: wndysbg on 06/21/06 at 4:45 pm

Anyone know slang words for today?  Need it for a class I'm taking :)

slang for what words?  I could survey my 7th/8th grade students - but I need to know exactly what you are looking for.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/21/06 at 7:02 pm

Douche, ghetto, emo.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/21/06 at 11:10 pm

Douche, ghetto, emo.

Do you mean the usage of 'Ghetto', rather than the word itself?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/21/06 at 11:12 pm

ghetto, crunk, pimp, "oh snap"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/23/06 at 12:44 am

None of these are new. To the always late mainstream aka suburban crews, they are new. But in all honesty these slang terms are amazingly old. Often times, the term, "ghetto" is so misused by the mainstream crowd, it's amazing. I swore I overheard some mall chick refer to her neighbor's yard as being "ghetto" because it didn't have a swimming pool.

Douche, ghetto, emo.

The only one new here is "emo".

The slang of today is often recycled, unknowingly, from previous years - another good point to add to your research.

Written By: wndysbg on 06/23/06 at 11:48 am

BEEZIES  - is one I hear ALL the time  - standing for best friends

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 11:53 am

Is Dissing a new slang word?

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/23/06 at 3:43 pm

nope

Written By: Classie83 on 06/23/06 at 7:33 pm

"Oh snap!"? lol who still says that? I remember that from 1st grade around '89. lol It was for kids because we weren't really allowed to say "oh sheesh."  (or at least, that's what I thought of it). Do kids really still say that?  ;D

Written By: Classie83 on 06/23/06 at 7:36 pm

None of these are new. To the always late mainstream aka suburban crews, they are new. But in all honesty these slang terms are amazingly old. Often times, the term, "ghetto" is so misused by the mainstream crowd, it's amazing. I swore I overheard some mall chick refer to her neighbor's yard as being "ghetto" because it didn't have a swimming pool.

The only one new here is "emo".

The slang of today is often recycled, unknowingly, from previous years - another good point to add to your research.

"ghetto" for no swimming pool?! lol I guess my house is...well let's not talk about my house...haha

I have to agree with the "emo" thing. Anyway, what does "emo" mean?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 11:29 pm

nope

If not slang, what is it then?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/23/06 at 11:36 pm

"Oh snap!"? lol who still says that? I remember that from 1st grade around '89. lol It was for kids because we weren't really allowed to say "oh sheesh."  (or at least, that's what I thought of it). Do kids really still say that?  ;D

It's still very common.

Written By: 80sforever on 06/23/06 at 11:46 pm

I had to look Emo up but appariently it's short for Emotional

"ghetto" for no swimming pool?! lol I guess my house is...well let's not talk about my house...haha

Written By: Meghan88 on 06/23/06 at 11:48 pm

emo is short for emotional

Written By: Meghan88 on 06/23/06 at 11:49 pm

i dont think she's saying it isnt one, i think shes trying to say that its an old slang word.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/06 at 11:53 pm

i dont think she's saying it isnt one, i think shes trying to say that its an old slang word.
Thanks on that.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 1:25 pm

It goes to show you the misappropriation of the word. Nowadays younger people are using slang words inappropriately to seem cool.

Yeah, I was referring to it not being a new slang word at all, rather an older one. The first time I used it was in the 3rd grade back in 1984!

Written By: wndysbg on 06/24/06 at 1:40 pm

"Oh snap!"? lol who still says that? I remember that from 1st grade around '89. lol It was for kids because we weren't really allowed to say "oh sheesh."  (or at least, that's what I thought of it). Do kids really still say that?   ;D

I hear "Oh snap" ALL the time.  Another one that just drive me crazy - I just do not like it at all - is "My bad"  I do not know why - but that is one slang saying that just gets under my nerves.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/24/06 at 6:15 pm

I intended the usage of the word "ghetto", which I find disgusting-like, "Our history textbooks are so beat-up...this is so ghetto!"

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 6:22 pm

I intended the usage of the word "ghetto", which I find disgusting-like, "Our history textbooks are so beat-up...this is so ghetto!"

I agree!

Written By: wndysbg on 06/24/06 at 7:12 pm

My students use the word "ghetto" when something is not as "good" as they think it should be or if they disagree with something.  Such as the new dress code at school is "ghetto" because the girls are not allowed to show off their bellies. 

Not a slang word I am verry fond of.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/24/06 at 8:41 pm

My students use the word "ghetto" when something is not as "good" as they think it should be or if they disagree with something.  Such as the new dress code at school is "ghetto" because the girls are not allowed to show off their bellies.   

Not a slang word I am verry fond of.

My students also misuse a word. It often go hand in hand with their ability to grasp what I teach them. lol

Written By: jaytee on 06/27/06 at 8:23 am

My daughter uses the word "munted" which means messed up.  I like it!!

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 8:49 am

Dissing is slang, just not new...
i recall it from the late 70s.

Check for new replies or respond here...