inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Saga of the stollen Sidekick

Written By: Mushroom on 06/22/06 at 9:36 am

This is a story that I have been following for the last few days, and it finally has some resolution.

A few weeks ago, a lady in New York was in a taxi and left her Motorola Sidekick phone inside.  A few days later she checked her on-line account, and realized that the new owners had taken several pictures with her phone.  She tried to contact them several times, but no calls or messages were ever returned.

Her friend had a bright idea: we will post the pictures on-line, and embarass these thieves.

It worked.  Within a few hours, they had the name and address of the new owner, a 16 year old girl.  Then the fun really started.

First came letters promising to return the phone, along with a beating.  The brother of the girl who had the phone left e-mails stating that he was an MP in the Army, and that there was nothing he could do about it.  Then the news wires started to pick up on the story.  They tried to report it to the NYPD, and got the run-around.

However, they finally got the phone back, and the 16 year old girl was arrested for possession of stolen property.

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/06/21/business/cell.php

And here is the web site that started the entire affair:

http://www.evanwashere.com/StolenSidekick/

Subject: Re: The Saga of the stollen Sidekick

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/23/06 at 9:06 am

What a saga!  I HAD to read the ENTIRE original website ;D 

I just read the first article....what a FAMILY of idiots.  The mother gave yet another story on how they "got" the sidekick ::)

Written By: KKay on 06/23/06 at 10:24 am

I ve been following this story for a little while and love it.
I think it's justice!

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/24/06 at 6:37 am

Gracious, what a story!!! Hopefully, this will discourage any would-be cell phone thieves...  :o ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 06/25/06 at 9:15 pm

I think it is hilarious how the story kept changing on how they got the phone and where the phone was. 

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/06 at 11:50 pm

I think it is hilarious how the story kept changing on how they got the phone and where the phone was. 

I agree.  I wonder how much trouble the brother is in now.  Being an MP and getting caught trying to intimidate somebody is just as bad as doing it as a cop.  I bet he is going to be in some major trouble when he reports in after this mess is through.

Check for new replies or respond here...