inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you own or plan to purchase an Ipod?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 11:58 am

I have a 5G 60GB video - I didn't buy it to be trendy (it's in it's case in my pocket most of the time anyway), but because it was the only 'real' choice for someone who needed 60GB, and I find the video capability useful. Who else is an 'Ipod sheep?'

Subject: Re: Do you own or plan to purchase an Ipod?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 11:59 am

My sister bought me a 1GB Nano for my birthday.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:00 pm

My sister bought me a 1GB Nano for my birthday.

Yeah, I guess different models suit different people. I used to own a 20GB Iriver player, but I needed more space.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 12:01 pm

Yeah, I guess different models suit different people. I used to own a 20GB Iriver player, but I needed more space.

She bought what she could afford. 

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:03 pm

She bought what she could afford. 

Yeah, I'd be happy enough if someone bought me a Nano (of course not that I need one). How many mp3 files have you got in total?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 12:12 pm

Yeah, I'd be happy enough if someone bought me a Nano (of course not that I need one). How many mp3 files have you got in total?

On my computer or on my iPod?  I have about 170 on the iPod (I don't have room for any more) and about 200 on my computer.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 06/22/06 at 12:16 pm

mine is an RCA Lyra...it works well enough for me...and holds several thousand songs....plenty for me.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:26 pm

On my computer or on my iPod?  I have about 170 on the iPod (I don't have room for any more) and about 200 on my computer.

I have 5,200 - not boasting or anything, I know of people with many times that number. It took me the best part of three years to amass that collection.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 12:28 pm

I have 5,200 - not boasting or anything, I know of people with many times that number. It took me the best part of three years to amass that collection.

That's just what I have on there now.  Before I got my iPod, I'd download stuff, burn them to CD and then delete them off the computer.  If you put all those files back on my computer, I'd have close to 5000 songs.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:32 pm

That's just what I have on there now.  Before I got my iPod, I'd download stuff, burn them to CD and then delete them off the computer.  If you put all those files back on my computer, I'd have close to 5000 songs.

Yes, I spent many hours meticulously labelling and organising my entire collection. I backed it all up as MP3 on CD's awhile ago, but I really need to update. It's always good to backup in case something goes wrong.

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 12:38 pm

I had one.. piece of trash.

I gave it away.

Got myself a beautiful Phillips Go Gear, great piece of kit.. even if I did mess up the screen.  ;D That was my fault though.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 12:42 pm

I had one.. piece of trash.

I gave it away.

Got myself a beautiful Phillips Go Gear, great piece of kit.. even if I did mess up the screen.  ;D That was my fault though.

Yeah, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen Ipods were pretty crappy. They lacked many features I wanted (e.g. decent battery life, no inline, poor sound quality), but I think the 5G has improved alot over its predecessors. People who just buy gadgets like ipods because they're 'hip' are just stupid, though.

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 12:48 pm

Yeah, the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen Ipods were pretty crappy. They lacked many features I wanted (e.g. decent battery life, no inline, poor sound quality), but I think the 5G has improved alot over its predecessors. People who just buy gadgets like ipods because they're 'hip' are just stupid, though.

I'd have to agree.

I couldn't fit all of my music on to even a 60GB, so I got the one I liked the layout, capacity, functions and style of. The Phillips was the best of the bunch.
It's about 35GB, which fits a lot and is sooooooo easy to sync music to. Just use Media Player.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/22/06 at 12:50 pm

No I do not.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 12:51 pm

I'd have to agree.

I couldn't fit all of my music on to even a 60GB, so I got the one I liked the layout, capacity, functions and style of. The Phillips was the best of the bunch.
It's about 35GB, which fits a lot and is sooooooo easy to sync music to. Just use Media Player.

My sister has a Dell DJ and she uses WMP to sync music.  Honestly, I like using iTunes.....I just either drag and drop onto my iPod (just take the file from your library and drag it over to the iPod in the sidebar and drop it) or I make a playlist and drag and drop.  Takes like, 5 minutes if it's a long playlist.

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 12:52 pm

My sister has a Dell DJ and she uses WMP to sync music.  Honestly, I like using iTunes.....I just either drag and drop onto my iPod (just take the file from your library and drag it over to the iPod in the sidebar and drop it) or I make a playlist and drag and drop.  Takes like, 5 minutes if it's a long playlist.

I have no issue with iTunes, I only ever used it to sync music to the I.Pod but it was fine.

Media player is just easier for me, especially because it takes about 2-4 seconds to sync each song.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 1:00 pm

I use itunes, still the best for organising music. But regarding purchasing music, I think Apple should make the purchased files available in normal .mp3 format to allow those without ipods to listen to them on their players. Restricting em to .mp4 isn't going to prevent sharing.

Written By: Roadgeek on 06/22/06 at 1:38 pm

I might get an iPod one of these days, but I'm saving up for a computer right now.

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/06 at 1:49 pm

I have a Creative Nomad Zen Extra 40gbs.

I don't really need one with video capabilities - besides, you need to convert the pictures to a certain Mpeg and too much hassle than it's worth.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 1:58 pm

I don't really need one with video capabilities - besides, you need to convert the pictures to a certain Mpeg and too much hassle than it's worth.

I was very impressed with the new 'pod's video-playing capabilities - it's almost as good with a PSP (of course you can't really compare it, as the screen is pretty small), but more than adequate for viewing DVD-quality video. In a way, the small screen is an advantage because you can watch really low-res (and hence small) vid files on it and the quality appears passable.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/22/06 at 2:19 pm

I own one.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 2:22 pm

I own one.

What model?

Written By: Bobby on 06/22/06 at 2:23 pm

I was very impressed with the new 'pod's video-playing capabilities - it's almost as good with a PSP (of course you can't really compare it, as the screen is pretty small), but more than adequate for viewing DVD-quality video. In a way, the small screen is an advantage because you can watch really low-res (and hence small) vid files on it and the quality appears passable.

That seems pretty cool - especially as low resolution is a problem with video conversion. Some videos look great small on the computer screen but look absolutely awful if you put them on a DVD and play them on the telly.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/22/06 at 2:25 pm

That seems pretty cool - especially as low resolution is a problem with video conversion. Some videos look great small on the computer screen but look absolutely awful if you put them on a DVD and play them on the telly.

Yes, size is almost everything when it comes to 'critical resolution' (the resolution which is acceptable to most people).

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 06/22/06 at 3:08 pm

I've had a 4GB iPod for just over a year now, and I absolutely love it!

I listen to music on it all the time...and it's very useful when I do my walks!  8)

Written By: La Roche on 06/22/06 at 3:27 pm

I was going to buy one of those. They look great. Mine just happened to be on sale, it would have been about $300 but I managed to get it for $239 otherwise I would have gone with the Creative as well.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 06/22/06 at 5:51 pm

I have a 4GB iPod black nano and I love it. I'm a music lover, so it's good to have something that can play it well for me.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/22/06 at 5:52 pm

I have a 30 GB iPod video, it's great.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/06 at 10:11 pm

I already spend outrageous amounts of time collecting and cataloging music. I'm holding out on an Ipod, but I'll probably break down and get one within a year!
::)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/23/06 at 4:14 am

I already spend outrageous amounts of time collecting and cataloging music. I'm holding out on an Ipod, but I'll probably break down and get one within a year!
::)

It's a hobby of mine as well, though most of my songs are in mp3/wma format on my computer hard-drive.

Written By: Jeffpcmt on 06/23/06 at 7:52 am

Ive had one for about a year now.  Its great since I have a lot of commute time.

Written By: karen on 06/23/06 at 8:16 am

nope

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/23/06 at 8:36 am

I use itunes, still the best for organising music. But regarding purchasing music, I think Apple should make the purchased files available in normal .mp3 format to allow those without ipods to listen to them on their players. Restricting em to .mp4 isn't going to prevent sharing.
hmmmm.....I somehow managed to get all of the songs we had on i-tunes converted to mp3 for my middle guy's Dell DJ ???  Even the ones we got from i-tunes....

BTW, we currently have a 2 GB nano, a 4 GB ipod mini (?), a Dell DJ and the 20GB color ipod (which I think can also play video, I haven't checked).

Written By: jackas on 06/23/06 at 10:45 pm

I have a Ipod Nano, 4 GB I believe.  My husband bought it for me for my birthday.  I still haven't used it.....I don't know what to do with it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/24/06 at 12:18 am

I have a Ipod Nano, 4 GB I believe.  My husband bought it for me for my birthday.  I still haven't used it.....I don't know what to do with it.

If you need any help, go ahead and PM me.  I have a Nano....maybe I can help.  :)

Written By: jackas on 06/24/06 at 4:52 am

If you need any help, go ahead and PM me.  I have a Nano....maybe I can help.   :)

Oh, well thank you! :)

I think the real problem is that I don't have much of a use for it.....I feel bad. :-\\ 

I've been thinking about getting one of those docks with speakers.  Does anyone have one of those?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 4:56 am

Oh, well thank you! :)

I think the real problem is that I don't have much of a use for it.....I feel bad. :-\\ 

I've been thinking about getting one of those docks with speakers.  Does anyone have one of those?

I personally think those docks are over-priced - but that's just me. I'd get a set of proper speakers instead (much cheaper, better sounding), but if you prefer the look of the dock/speakers, then by all means go for it.

Written By: jackas on 06/24/06 at 5:05 am

I personally think those docks are over-priced - but that's just me. I'd get a set of proper speakers instead (much cheaper, better sounding), but if you prefer the look of the dock/speakers, then by all means go for it.

How else would you play the music off of it?  Like what would you connect it to if you were using regular speakers?

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:06 am

How else would you play the music off of it?  Like what would you connect it to if you were using regular speakers?

Yes. You connect the speaker cable into your ipod headphone jack nstead of your computer, Hi-Fi.etc.

Written By: jackas on 06/24/06 at 5:08 am

Yes. You connect the speaker cable into your ipod headphone jack nstead of your computer, Hi-Fi.etc.

Oh, I didn't know that.  I guess you would have to get a special cable for that?  My speaker cables just have exposed wire on the ends...now I know that won't work. ;D

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:11 am

Oh, I didn't know that.  I guess you would have to get a special cable for that?  My speaker cables just have exposed wire on the ends...now I know that won't work. ;D

Oh, they must be old speakers, lol. Most recent speakers have like a cable with a standard headphone jack connector (35mm i think). If you're unsure ask someone.  :)

Written By: jackas on 06/24/06 at 5:16 am

Oh, they must be old speakers, lol. Most recent speakers have like a cable with a standard headphone jack connector (35mm i think). If you're unsure ask someone.  :)

Yeah, they're about ten years old.

Thanks! :)

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 5:17 am

Yeah, they're about ten years old.

Thanks! :)

Np...If you need to ask any other Q's related to mp3s/players.etc, don't hesitate to ask!

Written By: Stompgal on 06/24/06 at 8:14 am

I have an I pod Mini, but it doesn't work anymore because there's something wrong with the battery. On the consumer programme Watchdog, some people on it said the I Pod batteries were not very good.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/24/06 at 2:31 pm

I have an I pod Mini, but it doesn't work anymore because there's something wrong with the battery. On the consumer programme Watchdog, some people on it said the I Pod batteries were not very good.

Yes, minis and 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen 'pods had numerous battery problems. The worst was the 1st Gen model - the battery was GUARANTEED to die within about a year, necessitating an expensive replacement. It also lasted a measely 8 hours (average), but in reality this was more like 5, 4 or even 3 hours. The new Video/Nano battery lasts at least 16 hours each charge, though playing videos, having album art.etc reduces battery life (to as low as 3 hours while watching video).

Written By: ... on 09/13/06 at 5:08 pm

No way. They're too damned expensivo, and they're overrated I.M.O. ::)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/13/06 at 6:50 pm

No way. They're too damned expensivo, and they're overrated I.M.O. ::)

They are not too expensive, at least not to me.  I have a 1GB iPod Nano and it suits my needs just fine.

Written By: La Roche on 09/13/06 at 7:05 pm

They are not too expensive, at least not to me.  I have a 1GB iPod Nano and it suits my needs just fine.

For what they are.. they're expensive.

With an I.Pod you are buying the brand, not the product as such. There are numerous superior hard drive based MP3 players on the market that cost less, have a better battery life, more features, stronger hardware and superior software (i.e the whole home base computer shi.t that apple does).

The I.Pod is more a fashion statement than anything.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/13/06 at 11:12 pm

With an I.Pod you are buying the brand, not the product as such. There are numerous superior hard drive based MP3 players on the market that cost less, have a better battery life, more features, stronger hardware and superior software (i.e the whole home base computer shi.t that apple does).

I didn't get my iPod because all the cool kids had one.  I'd been asking for one for years and never got one.  My sister surprised me with one for my birthday this year.  For me, it has nothing to do with a status symbol.  Some people buy them because they want to be seen with the white headphones....I don't like earbud headphones, so I don't even use them.  Unless you see me take it out of my purse, you don't even know I have one.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/13/06 at 11:58 pm

I got a cheaper, yet just as good mp3 players. Handles up to 1GB and sounds just as good as an ipod. Rather than paying 300-400 for a brand, I went for the cheaper $150 one. Don't regret anything.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/14/06 at 12:12 am

I got an iPod because I tried a few of the other ones and I just didn't like the software they came with. It was slow and just a pain, so they went back. iTunes is great and generally I have no problems with it. 2 GB Nano is now only $149, that's pretty reasonable I'd say, or the 30 GB one is now down to $249. The creative 30 GB is about the same price, so I don't really get the ipods are more expensive argument. And the FM radio never works any good on any of the players I've tried so I really don't care that an iPod doesn't have one.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/14/06 at 2:07 am

I have a 1GB iriver. It cost me about $150, and I love it.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 09/14/06 at 10:08 am

I have a 20G ipod with the color screen because hubby gets a discount on them and it was cheaper than any of the others ;)  I'll NEVER fill it up, though :-\\

Written By: cARRINGTON-SMITH on 09/15/06 at 4:32 pm

>:( >:( >:(

I'm in my room RIGGGGGGGHT NOW listening to Starsailor on my iPod.

Written By: snozberries on 09/22/06 at 10:52 am

so mad finally broke down and finally purchased a 60gb video ipod and they come out with an 80gig something I really wanted! three weeks later

BASTARDS

Written By: Mushroom on 09/22/06 at 3:49 pm

That is exactly why I will never buy an I-pod.  In fact, I will never buy anything by Apple if I can ever avoid it.

Almost 2 years ago, I bought my MP3 player for $50 at Wal-Mart.  It is an Ilo, and has 256 MB on board (and can add an SD card if I want more).  It even came with a backlit LCD display (something the $150 IPod does not have).  I mostly used it for the built-in FM tuner until I finally got a stero on my bike.  Was an excellent investment.

Now I only use it when I go out running.  I have about 45 minutes of running cadences that I listen to when I do my tri-weekly runs.  And it hooks right into a USB port, with no extra software needed at all.  So no need to constantly fight with QuickTime (which to me is like RealPlayer - another piece of sotware I will never install on my computer).

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/22/06 at 4:07 pm

I've got a 30GB Zen mp3 player from Creative Labs. I don't really have anything against Apple or the ipod, I just never really gave much thought to getting an ipod.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/22/06 at 4:16 pm

That is exactly why I will never buy an I-pod.  In fact, I will never buy anything by Apple if I can ever avoid it.

Almost 2 years ago, I bought my MP3 player for $50 at Wal-Mart.  It is an Ilo, and has 256 MB on board (and can add an SD card if I want more).  It even came with a backlit LCD display (something the $150 IPod does not have).  I mostly used it for the built-in FM tuner until I finally got a stero on my bike.  Was an excellent investment.

Now I only use it when I go out running.  I have about 45 minutes of running cadences that I listen to when I do my tri-weekly runs.  And it hooks right into a USB port, with no extra software needed at all.  So no need to constantly fight with QuickTime (which to me is like RealPlayer - another piece of sotware I will never install on my computer).

QuickTime?  I have an iPod and I don't have to use QuickTime for jack.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/22/06 at 4:27 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/22/06 at 4:29 pm

It does install it when you install iTunes, because iTunes is built on quicktime, however I've never had issues with iTunes nor do you even notice quicktime in the background.

I didn't install QuickTime when I installed iTunes because I already had it on my computer to start with.  I never use QuickTime for anything anyway.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/22/06 at 5:02 pm

It does install it when you install iTunes, because iTunes is built on quicktime, however I've never had issues with iTunes nor do you even notice quicktime in the background.

Part of my problem with QuickTime is that it embeds itself into your startup, without even asking.  You have to go through a byzentine process in order to remove it from your startup menu.  Plus unless you are careful, it will take over every media file it is capable of playing (including some that it thinks it can play - but can't).  Add to that my dislike of the fact that unless you buy the "QuickTime Pro" package for $30, you can't view quicktime files in full screen mode.  To me, that would be like somebody making a media player that only allowed you to play files in mono; and you have to pay extra for stereo playback.

I used to use QuickTime for video output, until around 3 years ago, when they suddenly made it incompatible with Adobe Premiere.  It used to be that you could get a basic codec from them for free for video encoding.  Suddenly, they made files made this way incompatible with newer versions of QT, unless it was made with Adobe Premiere for Macintosh.  The newer versions of Adobe Premiere can now only create QuickTime files with extra software that must be bought from Apple, and with a lot of tweaking (without the tweaking, the files come out huge with poor quality).

This is among one of many reasons that I now boycot anything made by Apple.  I consider them to be the "evil monopolistic empire", and instead support companies like MicroSoft, DivX, Adobe, and Creative Labs.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/06 at 11:01 pm

I got a I Pod Nano, for the holiday just recently.

Written By: Brian06 on 12/30/06 at 11:02 pm

I love my ipod.  :D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 12/30/06 at 11:03 pm

I am starting to begin to like my I Pod.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...