inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Decade With the Biggest Technological Revolutions?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/22/06 at 5:56 pm

I'd say 1990s.

Subject: Re: Decade With the Biggest Technological Revolutions?

Written By: sonikuu on 06/22/06 at 7:05 pm

It's a tie between the 80s and 90s.  The 80s saw the introduction of things such as the Apple II (the first truly popular computer), CDs, portable music (walkman), and even the world wide web (although it didn't resemble the one we have until around 1993).  However, many of the technologies introduced in the 80s didn't become popular until the 90s, where they were also massively improved upon.  It depends on what you put more importance on: the popularization and massive improvement of technology (1990s) or the original technology itself (1980s).

In the end, I do think the 90s were more revolutionary.  Many of the stuff may have had roots in the 80s, but were greatly improved in the 90s and became part of the mainstream.  The 80s is more of a prelude to the "Digital Age" than anything.  In my opinion, the 1980s are closer to the 2000s than even the 1970s, probably because the 70s seem so similar to the 60s for much of it.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/22/06 at 7:19 pm

The 1980s.  That's when all this technology was first created/implemented.  The last couple decades have been spent refining it.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/22/06 at 10:29 pm

NONE OF THE ABOVE.

How about--
1760s: James Watt develops the first modern steam engine, dual-chambered and fuel efficient.

Why not go basic--
790,210s BC: Fire.

;D

Your late 20th century gadgets just don't cut it for heavy-dute "advancement."

Check for new replies or respond here...