inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: People's attitudes in the mid 00's

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/06 at 11:42 am

Is it just me, or do a lot more people seem to have bad attitudes lately? I just notice a lot more negative vibe from people now like there was in the early 90's. It also seems like there's a resurgance of the Gen X attitudes that were common in the late 80's/early 90's.

Subject: Re: People's attitudes in the mid 00's

Written By: chaka on 06/23/06 at 12:01 pm

Is it just me, or do a lot more people seem to have bad attitudes lately? I just notice a lot more negative vibe from people now like there was in the early 90's. It also seems like there's a resurgance of the Gen X attitudes that were common in the late 80's/early 90's.

I haven't noticed any Gen X attitude..I still have the impression people are way too full of themselves,especially teenagers;they think they've got it all and all the rest...it's just to cover up because they all feel empty inside,they just don't admit it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/23/06 at 3:36 pm

I haven't noticed any Gen X attitude..I still have the impression people are way too full of themselves,especially teenagers;they think they've got it all and all the rest...it's just to cover up because they all feel empty inside,they just don't admit it.

I agree totally, no "Gen X" attitude at all. It's all about materialism and superficiality covering up a profound emptiness and loneliness, and lots of gimmickiness and trendiness.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/23/06 at 3:49 pm

I agree totally, no "Gen X" attitude at all. It's all about materialism and superficiality covering up a profound emptiness and loneliness, and lots of gimmickiness and trendiness.

I agree.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/23/06 at 4:24 pm

I thought that was the typical attitude of the teens during the Reagan/Bush Sr. era that are in their 30's now, at least the materialism and superficiality part.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/23/06 at 8:42 pm

...and proud of it! 

(X'ers of the world unite!  Place is goin' to heck in a handbasket anyways, so grab whatever scraps you can when the Boomers aren't looking!)

/Xer
//superficial
///materialistic
///and proud!

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/23/06 at 9:12 pm

I dislike Generation X(as a whole- please do not take individual offense anyone).

I don't like things the way they're ran now by Boomers, but I tihink its REALLY going to suck when the Xers take over.  I get this feeling of massive apathy and selfishness from their generation like when they get in charge they really WILL take the above attitude.  "Screw it, the world is ****ed over anyhow so every man for himself, winner takes all".  I could see them going about this really bull**** laissez faire way of handling things, that will be worse than anything we've even seen from the Reagan revolution or the Boomers.

As a Yer I'm genuinely concerned about what condition the country will be in when WE "take over the reigns".

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/23/06 at 10:02 pm

I thought that was the typical attitude of the teens during the Reagan/Bush Sr. era that are in their 30's now, at least the materialism and superficiality part.

That was the attitude of the adults in their 40s and 50s now who were "yuppies" and young adults through the '80s. The teens, who are now in their 30s, were more confused and "yearning to mean something" than anything else.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 06/24/06 at 3:31 pm

Tell me about it!  I'm experiencing it here on these boards.  more specifically over on the 90's board

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/25/06 at 12:12 pm

I think a lot of the attitudes are coming from my age group - people in their 20's now that went to high school in the 90's.

Written By: deadrockstar on 06/29/06 at 3:44 pm

This was an interesting topic so I wanted to bump it..

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/29/06 at 5:37 pm

Do you think, in a way, the Gen X attitude was even more prevalent in the '90s (even if the culture obviously was not)? Just because the 1968 born '80s teens were now in their 20s and while young enough to still be a part of the youth culture, were old enough to influence the adult world as well. The grunge era and the Friends/coffeehouse atmosphere, ya know.

Written By: chaka on 06/29/06 at 5:49 pm

Ho! VERY well said!
k

Written By: chaka on 06/29/06 at 5:51 pm

Do you think, in a way, the Gen X attitude was even more prevalent in the '90s (even if the culture obviously was not)? Just because the 1968 born '80s teens were now in their 20s and while young enough to still be a part of the youth culture, were old enough to influence the adult world as well. The grunge era and the Friends/coffeehouse atmosphere, ya know.

Yeah i think so..I mean grunge and Gen X go together don't they.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/29/06 at 8:00 pm

IMO, 1991-1996 was the most Gen X culture ever got. The '80s was still influenced by the baby boomers, both in terms of the artists themselves and culture as a whole. 1991-1996, almost every major musical artist seemed to be a Gen Xer. It was before Gen Y culture started creeping in during late 1996-early 1997 and after baby boomer culture finally lost hold of its influence, as they all started having kids and such.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/03/06 at 10:18 pm

It may also be because I live in San Diego. People have always been rude here, but they are especially bad this year. Just today alone I dealt with a few a$$holes.

Check for new replies or respond here...