inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Generations Getting Shorter?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/25/06 at 9:21 pm

The late 20th Century was the fastest changing time in history.  The Boomer generation is about 17 years (1946-1963), the Gen Xers about the same (1964-1981). Then you have Gen Y, which is only 14 years (1982-1995). Gen Z might be longer.

Do you think as time accelerates, generations will keep getting shorter?

Subject: Re: Are Generations Getting Shorter?

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/25/06 at 9:26 pm

The late 20th Century was the fastest changing time in history.  The Boomer generation is about 17 years (1946-1963), the Gen Xers about the same (1964-1981). Then you have Gen Y, which is only 14 years (1982-1995). Gen Z might be longer.

Gen Z first of all doesn't even exist yet really, they are being born but there is no way to really know a cut off yet since we are right in the middle of the gen y era right now. Gen Y years from now, might be considered 1982-2000 for example.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 11:14 pm

Gen Z first of all doesn't even exist yet really, they are being born but there is no way to really know a cut off yet since we are right in the middle of the gen y era right now. Gen Y years from now, might be considered 1982-2000 for example.

Probably not, though.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/25/06 at 11:15 pm

Probably not, though.

Maybe not quite that long but I wouldn't be surpsied if it's stretched out a few years longer than that 14 years.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 11:15 pm

Maybe not quite that long but I wouldn't be surpsied if it's stretched out a few years longer than that 14 years.

I seriously doubt it. I mean, most Gen Xers hate their generation going past 1980, for example.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/25/06 at 11:17 pm

I seriously doubt it. I mean, most Gen Xers hate their generation going past 1980, for example.

Yeah but most sources nowadays say it does. A "generation" is longer than 12-14 years, it's more like 16-18 years.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/25/06 at 11:18 pm

Yeah but most sources nowadays say it does. A "generation" is longer than 12-14 years, it's more like 16-18 years.

Meh, whatever, it's not worth arguing...I think there's definitely a difference between people born in 1993 and 1997, and somewhere in there is the beginning of Generation Z.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/25/06 at 11:25 pm

Meh, whatever, it's not worth arguing...I think there's definitely a difference between people born in 1993 and 1997, and somewhere in there is the beginning of Generation Z.

There is definitely, but I still think those mid- late '90s people one day could be considered simply the late wave of gen y much like the mid-late '70s kids for gen x. We'll see in the future, like I said I don't think gen z has any defintion at all yet because either way they are too young to have any real impact.

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/26/06 at 7:52 pm

I actually think generations are getting longer, instead of shorter, and Gen Y is an exception (as there was a brief resurgence in birth-dates in developed countries in the late 80s and early 90s). Because in early years, like the 'Silent Generation' of the 1920s, people were having children in their teens and early 20s, hence the gaps between pools of 'generationals' or populations were smaller. Now people are having children later in life, and birth-rates are declining, it'll be longer before a new generation arises.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/06 at 1:05 pm

Seems like in Gen-X and Gen-Y everybody got a lot taller, leaving me the odd man out!
;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 3:43 pm

Seems like in Gen-X and Gen-Y everybody got a lot taller, leaving me the odd man out!
;D

Hear hear (my currently being 5'2")!

Written By: Marty McFly on 06/27/06 at 4:14 pm

I think there's so much out there to choose from, especially in the 1997+ years where the Internet has dominted (although you could argue, the overall template for what makes entertainment today started around 1979-81), that it makes people's "time" seem shorter.

Again, I think that's why alot of Gen Xers feel their teen years are what makes a person's generation and memories, and those my age (and pure Gen Yers, even more so than me probably ;) ) feel that way about what came along in their childhood.

I mean, in 1985 I'm sure almost any person from, like 7 to 30 (and some even older) was bound to like alot of the same pop music. Whereas now, even some 18 and 20 year olds feel it's kinda "past their time".

Generations might be more like 12 years now.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/06 at 4:50 pm

If they get any shorter, it will be a state of de-generation!
:P

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 6:05 pm

I think there's so much out there to choose from, especially in the 1997+ years where the Internet has dominted (although you could argue, the overall template for what makes entertainment today started around 1979-81), that it makes people's "time" seem shorter.

Again, I think that's why alot of Gen Xers feel their teen years are what makes a person's generation and memories, and those my age (and pure Gen Yers, even more so than me probably ;) ) feel that way about what came along in their childhood.

I mean, in 1985 I'm sure almost any person from, like 7 to 30 (and some even older) was bound to like alot of the same pop music. Whereas now, even some 18 and 20 year olds feel it's kinda "past their time".

Generations might be more like 12 years now.

Yeah...I think, overall, a generation should be about 14-15 years now. I think my generation is people born from 1981 to 1995, roughly, or the classes of '99 to '13, and Generation X is maybe a couple of years longer.

I think Generation Xers, to a certain extent, denied the impact of their childhood years in the '70s on them because of their general distaste for the baby boomers, and only rediscovered it with the '70s nostalgia craze in the '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...