inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Scary Tobacco and Alcohol Signs

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/27/06 at 3:18 pm

Isn't it weird seeing 1985 for the alcohol year and 1988 for the tobacco year?  I'm almost old enough to do both of these!  :o  In 2008, one of the years will be in the '90s!

Subject: Re: Scary Tobacco and Alcohol Signs

Written By: KKay on 06/27/06 at 3:28 pm

Isn't it weird seeing 1985 for the alcohol year and 1988 for the tobacco year?  I'm almost old enough to do both of these!  :o  In 2008, one of the years will be in the '90s!

Huh?
Oh! you mean you must be born in that year to use these substances?
Yeah! That is wierd!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/28/06 at 12:01 am

Yeah, I thought about that last year when '87 was up for tobacco. It felt kinda weird being old enough to have a smoke after not being able to for basically my entire life. ;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/28/06 at 12:03 am

Stuff like that never had an effect on me.  I've never smoked a day in my life and don't intend to (it killed members of my family) and I never drank before I turned 21 and really have no real desire to anyway.  It's weird.  I'm like, one of the few people I know like that.

Written By: Gis on 06/28/06 at 3:11 am

I don't think it's weird. To be honest I think they mean absolutely nothing/zero/zilch/zip/nada. If someone is going to smoke or drink they will smoke or drink regardless. I think there is a very tiny minority, of which Sister Morphine is one, who actually wait for their legal date. The rest of us just go right on ahead and try it when we feel ready and not when law dictates. I can't imagine many waking up on their 16th birthday and thinking hurrah today I'm legal I'll start smoking.
I'm not saying that it's right to do these things underage, far from it, BUT that is human nature for you.

Written By: karen on 06/28/06 at 3:46 am

Maybe things are stricter in the US?  I cetainly never let a little thing like legal age stop me smoking or drinking.

I remember going out for my 18th birthday (legal drinking age in the UK) and the landlord in my regular pub asking what the celebration was.  His face was a picture when I told him!  I'd been drinking there every Friday and Saturday for the previous two years or so.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/28/06 at 4:50 am

I don't think it's weird. To be honest I think they mean absolutely nothing/zero/zilch/zip/nada. If someone is going to smoke or drink they will smoke or drink regardless. I think there is a very tiny minority, of which Sister Morphine is one, who actually wait for their legal date. The rest of us just go right on ahead and try it when we feel ready and not when law dictates. I can't imagine many waking up on their 16th birthday and thinking hurrah today I'm legal I'll start smoking.
I'm not saying that it's right to do these things underage, far from it, BUT that is human nature for you.

Honestly, if I had friends that pressured me into drinking before I was legal and I didn't have the attitude that I do, I probably would have.  But my friends knew I had no interest in it (not for some moral reason or legal reason; I just didn't feel like it) so they never pushed the issue.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/28/06 at 4:59 am

Never smoked. And I was drinking more before 18 than after.  ::)

The legal age for both here is 18, but no one cares. Can't remember the last time I was checked for ID, and I (still) look underage.

Written By: Gis on 06/28/06 at 5:01 am

Honestly, if I had friends that pressured me into drinking before I was legal and I didn't have the attitude that I do, I probably would have.  But my friends knew I had no interest in it (not for some moral reason or legal reason; I just didn't feel like it) so they never pushed the issue.
No offence, I actually applaud you for it. I wish I had had more sense when I was younger, unfortunatly curiosity killed the cat and I had to try it. I smoked from 15 - 21 and haven't had a cigerette since. I have become the classic hunter turned gamekeeper and am zealous in my hating of smoking now !! ;D  Same with drinking.Luckily I wasn't influenced by peer presure, though I know a lot are, I was just curious to know what it was like, and, there as they say leads the path to ruin.................   

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:57 am

What do you mean 1985 is the 'alcohol year', and 1988 the 'tobacco year'?  :-\\

Written By: ADH13 on 07/02/06 at 11:01 am

What do you mean 1985 is the 'alcohol year', and 1988 the 'tobacco year'?  :-\\

In the US, our stores have signs posted to help store clerks determine if people are old enough to buy tobacco/alchohol.  So you have to be born 1985 or earlier to buy alcohol and 1988 or earlier to buy tobacco.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/02/06 at 11:06 am

In the US, our stores have signs posted to help store clerks determine if people are old enough to buy tobacco/alchohol.   So you have to be born 1985 or earlier to buy alcohol and 1988 or earlier to buy tobacco.

I've seen those... Can't they figure that out themselves?

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 11:14 am

In the US, our stores have signs posted to help store clerks determine if people are old enough to buy tobacco/alchohol.   So you have to be born 1985 or earlier to buy alcohol and 1988 or earlier to buy tobacco.

They can't even work out how old someone is from their D.O.B.?  ;D

Written By: fishryc on 07/02/06 at 8:39 pm

Maybe things are stricter in the US?  I cetainly never let a little thing like legal age stop me smoking or drinking.

I remember going out for my 18th birthday (legal drinking age in the UK) and the landlord in my regular pub asking what the celebration was.  His face was a picture when I told him!  I'd been drinking there every Friday and Saturday for the previous two years or so.

In Western NY State (Buffalo area), the legal authorities are very strict with enforcement of the 18 for tobacco and 21 for alcohol age requirements. Sting operations are common where the police agencies send an underage person to purchase these items. If the clerk at the tobacco store, or batrender, store clerk, or liquor store person makes the sale, that person is charged with the offense and pays a fine. Additionally, the owner of the establishment also faces fines and suspension or revocation of their license to sell. Most stores around here check ID for anyone looking under 25 and enter that info into the cash register, and, even for buying beer at grocers and such, ask the date of birth of anyone and everyone over 25. They ask and enter your birthdate and year even if your 70 years old; as a self protection precaution.

Written By: nally on 07/02/06 at 9:18 pm

Stuff like that never had an effect on me.  I've never smoked a day in my life and don't intend to (it killed members of my family) and I never drank before I turned 21 and really have no real desire to anyway.

Me neither. I'm almost 26 and do not intend to ever, ever, ever get drunk. :-X

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:51 pm

In Western NY State (Buffalo area), the legal authorities are very strict with enforcement of the 18 for tobacco and 21 for alcohol age requirements. Sting operations are common where the police agencies send an underage person to purchase these items. If the clerk at the tobacco store, or batrender, store clerk, or liquor store person makes the sale, that person is charged with the offense and pays a fine. Additionally, the owner of the establishment also faces fines and suspension or revocation of their license to sell. Most stores around here check ID for anyone looking under 25 and enter that info into the cash register, and, even for buying beer at grocers and such, ask the date of birth of anyone and everyone over 25. They ask and enter your birthdate and year even if your 70 years old; as a self protection precaution.

Yeah, they make be young people wearing makeup to look really old... ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...