inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Several elementary schools ban games at recess

Written By: sonikuu on 06/27/06 at 6:56 pm

People keep wondering why kids are fat.  Well, here is your answer.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-26-recess-bans_x.htm?csp=24

Poor "Generation Z" members.  I never had to put up with stuff like this when I was in elementary school.

Subject: Re: Several elementary schools ban games at recess

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/27/06 at 8:48 pm

People keep wondering why kids are fat.  Well, here is your answer.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2006-06-26-recess-bans_x.htm?csp=24

Poor "Generation Z" members.  I never had to put up with stuff like this when I was in elementary school.

LOL, this is ridiculous.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/27/06 at 9:19 pm

Dang.  Third thread tonight I've gotten to make a Diana Moon Glampers reference!

http://instruct.westvalley.edu/lafave/hb.html

The year was 2006, and everybody was finally equal...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/27/06 at 9:38 pm

More and more I'm convinced dodgeball is an allegory for real life! You're surrounded, don't let 'em nail ya! See, I view schoolyard competition games more with a sense of fatality than competition!
You want to give this generation a sense of what their world is going to be like? Play dodgeball! You're f**ked, it's just a question of when!

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/09/scared.gif

The bans were passed in the name of safety, but some children's health advocates say limiting exercise and free play can inhibit a child's development.

What a rube! There ain't gonna be any free play for these kids in the future! Get 'em used to it NOW I say! Work your but offf, compete, compete, compete, work your butt off some more repeat process ad infinitum The only recreational landscape I would provide is the little pits to serve as the children's graves when they're too old for the factory line!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/farmerjohn.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/fal.gif

Written By: Apricot on 06/27/06 at 11:37 pm

Dodgeball IS an allegory for life.. when the odds are against you, throw a red ball at the fat guy. :D

Also.. I love the schools that ban tag because being 'it' is somehow advocating isolation.. funny stuff.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/28/06 at 9:33 am

Okay, dodgeball I can sort'of understand (although my kids' school allows them to play it both at recess AND in gym class) but tag and soccer ???  Heck, if they're worried about kids' safety, they need to get rid of monkey bars and swings.  My son fell off the monkey bars at his school and broke his arm in 2 places THE SAME DAY as another girl whom they thought may have broken her neck (it wasn't, luckily) :o  They also had 3 kids break various bones jumping off the swings, a few more broken arms/wrists on the monkey bars and 1 the previous year who broke his leg pretty badly playing on the jungle gym thingy.  My oldest also cracked his head open and broke a finger playing football, but that's because he's a clutz ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/06 at 1:35 pm

Okay, dodgeball I can sort'of understand (although my kids' school allows them to play it both at recess AND in gym class) but tag and soccer ???  Heck, if they're worried about kids' safety, they need to get rid of monkey bars and swings.  My son fell off the monkey bars at his school and broke his arm in 2 places THE SAME DAY as another girl whom they thought may have broken her neck (it wasn't, luckily) :o  They also had 3 kids break various bones jumping off the swings, a few more broken arms/wrists on the monkey bars and 1 the previous year who broke his leg pretty badly playing on the jungle gym thingy.  My oldest also cracked his head open and broke a finger playing football, but that's because he's a clutz ;D

I'm surprised they still allow monkey bars! Monkey bars were the in the sites of the hand-wringing playground safety advocates more than 25 years ago! Kids used to dangle from metal bars ten feet above an asphalt fall-breaker! This was exemplified in a scene in the late '70s tear-jerker "Kramer vs. Kramer," in which "Billy" smashes his head falling of the monkey bars while his newly-single dad flirts with some broad. Anyway...
Late in my childhood, elementary school principals decided steel and asphalt were just too dangerous a set up for our precious children. The new playgrounds came in. They were constructed of wood and old tires. You know old automobile tires, the kind that burn for days and days spewing caustic fumes. Of course, so long as they're not in a combustive state, car tires are real good for Junior. Then it turned out...and it only took the public fifteen years to realize...all that wood (especially the ubiquitous chips, which provide a much gentler landing than concrete or gravel) was treated with cyanide.
No matter, it made all the do-gooders feel they done good at the time. Today Junior does not have a scar on his forhead from crashing off the monkey bars, but at the age of 38, he's infertile and has a brain tumor the size of a golf ball....and the medical reports say both are "of unknown etiology."
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/buck.gif

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 06/28/06 at 5:06 pm

Just more evidence of how ridiculous life in this modern world is becoming...  :D

Written By: whistledog on 06/29/06 at 7:38 pm

If they are going to ban recess games, why not just lock the kids in cages?

They should ban the morons who run these schools

Written By: Apricot on 06/29/06 at 8:41 pm

If they are going to ban recess games, why not just lock the kids in cages?

They should ban the morons who run these schools

Wait, repeat that first part...

That's... a very, very good idea.... *strokes beard*

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/06 at 10:53 am

Wait, repeat that first part...

That's... a very, very good idea.... *strokes beard*

"Why, when I was at school, I was beaten regularly ever half hour, and it never did me any harm!
(except for psychological maladjustment and blurred vision.)"
--John Cleese

Check for new replies or respond here...