inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The great Dasani water con

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/28/06 at 1:53 pm

The ubiquitous bottle of bottled water is a very '00s phenomenon, but not all bottled water is created equal.

I went to the vending machine and bought me a bottle of Coca-Cola's "Dasani" brand. The label says "enhanced with minerals for a pure, fresh taste." I read the fine print. It says, "purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt...adds a negligible amount of sodium."
Why are you guys putting salt in my water? What happens when you eat something salty? You get thirsty. So what happens? I finish my bottle of Dasani and say, "Hmmmm...I'm still thirsty. I better go buy me another bottle of Dasani!"
That's the Coca-Cola company for ya! Can't even market a bottle of water without d*cking you around!

Subject: Re: The great Dasani water con

Written By: sonikuu on 06/28/06 at 3:41 pm

Ah yes, Dasani and their salt.  I've known about this ever since someone at school told me about it a couple years ago.  I looked right on the side of the bottle and there it was on the label.  After that, I realized that Dasani really is quite salty in taste compared to tap water.  It really is screwed up.  After all, if you're buying bottled water, shouldn't purified water be the only "ingredient"?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 06/28/06 at 3:56 pm

The ubiquitous bottle of bottled water is a very '00s phenomenon, but not all bottled water is created equal.

I went to the vending machine and bought me a bottle of Coca-Cola's "Dasani" brand. The label says "enhanced with minerals for a pure, fresh taste." I read the fine print. It says, "purified water, magnesium sulfate, potassium chloride, salt...adds a negligible amount of sodium."
Why are you guys putting salt in my water? What happens when you eat something salty? You get thirsty. So what happens? I finish my bottle of Dasani and say, "Hmmmm...I'm still thirsty. I better go buy me another bottle of Dasani!"
That's the Coca-Cola company for ya! Can't even market a bottle of water without d*cking you around!

;D >:(

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/28/06 at 7:05 pm

Give me an effing break.  In order for salt to make you thirsty enough to drink more fluids, you'd need to ingest quite a bit of it.  I drink bottled water all the time, and if you didn't read it on the label, you'd never know there was ANYTHING in the water. 

Please tell me this isn't serious.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/28/06 at 8:05 pm

After all, if you're buying bottled water, shouldn't purified water be the only "ingredient"?

Problem is, distilled water with zero dissolved minerals is absolutely flavorless. I've drunk it.  (And loved it because it was flavorless, but I'm weird.  Others present at the time disagreed, and disliked it, for precisely the same reason). 

I'd bet good money that reagent-grade distilled water would lose in a taste test against other bottled waters.  Because it's so flavorless, it may also be  susceptible to picking up flavors from the plastic it would be bottled in if it were to be sold in retail quantities.

Coke did what any company would do:  Added enough stuff (or didn't purify it enough!) to distilled (or more likely due to the energy costs of distillation, they just osmotically-filtered it) tap water and optimized for the best-"tasting" substance (as determined in blind focus group testing), at a cost of production which would enable them to get a good margin out of it when marked up for retail, and which would be shelf-stable for a long time.

Personally, I drink tap water. I've slugged reagent-grade distilled, though, and loved it, but there's no way I'd pay for it.  My emergency water supply is 5 bottles of the cheapest generic store brand "drinking water", and I only have to rotate one bottle in and out of the supply every year.  The last two I've cracked open after 5 years sitting beneath my kitchen sink were just fine.

The con isn't that Dasani's any less than Evian ("Naive" spelled backwards :) or Fred's Most Organicest Gourmet Springs.  The con is that there's any material difference between these products and what you'd get from the average US/Canada/Europe tap, or even the bottom 5% of the Western world's water supply and a Brita filter.

Written By: Apricot on 06/28/06 at 8:48 pm

I KNEW Dasani tasted salty.. I so called that one.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/06 at 12:40 am

Actually, Sister Morphine might be right on this one. Desani didn't make me thirstier, but others  claimed it made them thirstier. If I did not know about the added sodium, I wouldn't have cared.
I don't like the Coca-Cola company for geo-political reasons, but I do like Coca-Cola Classic. My PC friend said I should boycott Coke. "Besides," she said, "Coke is bad for you," as she took a sip of her wholesome Fresh Samantha brand raw fruit juice.
Who bottles Fresh Samantha? Speak up! The Coca-Cola company? Oh, gosh, too bad! Remember not to read the side panel of your next groovy-organic fruit drink. What you don't know can't hurt you!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/05/jarswim.gif
^ Didn't really happen, just an apocryphal anectdote for illustration.

Here's what REALLY bugs me about Desani: the flavored varieties taste horrible. You'd think with the infinite wealth of the Coca-Cola company, they could hire some decent flavor-making elves or something! Flavored Desani tastes as bad as Clearly Canadian, and Clearly Canadian tastes like the flavored fluoride treatments the dental hygenists gave you when you were a kid! Pretty-frik-ken-bad!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/monster.gif

I'd bet good money that reagent-grade distilled water would lose in a taste test against other bottled waters.  Because it's so flavorless, it may also be  susceptible to picking up flavors from the plastic it would be bottled in if it were to be sold in retail quantities.

I love distilled water! Tastes so simple. You know, H-2-O and that's all! It's like drinking nothing, but drinking something at the same time!
Personally, I like a Lower East Side chlorine-rust combo for flavor...

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/29/06 at 3:15 am

Clearly Canadian kicks ass.  That is all.

Written By: karen on 06/29/06 at 4:02 am

It's alright to drink freshly made (though, as you say, flavourless) but don't store it to drink later.  The chlorine in the water kills off any germs present but with that removed they can build up pretty rapidly.

Written By: Tam on 06/29/06 at 5:19 am

Anymore, the only bottled water I drink is Texas' finest Ozarka Natural Spring Water.
There isn't an ingredients label and it is bottled by Ozarka Spring Water Company - a division of Nestle Waters North America Inc. (CT) lol
Source: Piney Woods Springs, Wood County, TX

Prior to that I drank my Brita water - because I never really enjoyed the taste of any other bottled water.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 06/29/06 at 5:47 am

I drink tap water. Never bought bottled water whilst here as our tap water is the only stuff worth drinking in the entire country. I won't touch water coming out of the taps in, say, Auckland for instance.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 06/29/06 at 7:35 am

I used to drink tap water when I lived in a town with decent tap water (the same water as -I think- Sparkling Spring bottled water).  Now, even WITH a top of the line water softener (which they assured us would take all the crap out of the water here) AND an additional purifying system, our tap water here is scary.....looking AND tasting.  I gave my son a bath the other day and the water looked like someone (well, a FEW someones) had peed in it BEFORE he got in the tub.  So much for our new city well which was supposed to help eliminate the rust in the water ::)  Rule of thumb:  never wash light or white clothes for at least 3 days after they "flush the hydrants" unless you've got something to take rust stains out (learned THAT the hard way >:()

I actually like the taste of Dasani.....it's one of the few I can drink even warm.  Ozarka (which I can't get here), Ice Mountain and Aquafina aren't bad either.  I stay away from most generic brands, though, because they have a dirt-y taste to me :-\\

Written By: Marian on 06/29/06 at 1:03 pm

Problem is, distilled water with zero dissolved minerals is absolutely flavorless. I've drunk it.  (And loved it because it was flavorless, but I'm weird.  Others present at the time disagreed, and disliked it, for precisely the same reason). 

Coke did what any company would do:  Added enough stuff (or didn't purify it enough!) to distilled (or more likely due to the energy costs of distillation, they just osmotically-filtered it) tap water and optimized for the best-"tasting" substance (as determined in blind focus group testing), at a cost of production which would enable them to get a good margin out of it when marked up for retail, and which would be shelf-stable for a long time.

Personally, I drink tap water. I've slugged reagent-grade distilled, though, and loved it, but there's no way I'd pay for it.  My emergency water supply is 5 bottles of the cheapest generic store brand "drinking water", and I only have to rotate one bottle in and out of the supply every year.  The last two I've cracked open after 5 years sitting beneath my kitchen sink were just fine.

The con isn't that Dasani's any less than Evian ("Naive" spelled backwards :) or Fred's Most Organicest Gourmet Springs.  The con is that there's any material difference between these products and what you'd get from the average US/Canada/Europe tap, or even the bottom 5% of the Western world's water supply and a Brita filter.
I saw on one of those news programs--20/20,dateline or something,that bottled water IS tap water.

Written By: Davester on 06/29/06 at 1:30 pm

Doesn't the body require a certain amount of sodium in order to compensate for loss of same through perspiration?  Salt aids the body in regulating water...

Even Gatorade has 110 mg of sodium per 8 oz. serving...but, of course, it's not bottled water...

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/29/06 at 1:42 pm

I saw on one of those news programs--20/20,dateline or something,that bottled water IS tap water.

John Stossel was always on about stuff like this before he went from being a corporate critic to a corporate shill. Eh, that guy always creeped me out anyway!
:P

Doesn't the body require a certain amount of sodium in order to compensate for loss of same through perspiration?  Salt aids the body in regulating water...

Even Gatorade has 110 mg of sodium per 8 oz. serving...but, of course, it's not bottled water...

Quite right. Salt aids in fluid retention and can retard dehydration. This is why long-distance runners always used to take salt tablets (don't know if they still do) and why there is sodium in sports drinks.
I was merely referring to how salty foodstuffs make you feel thirsty.

Written By: Mushroom on 06/29/06 at 3:56 pm

In most cases, that is true.

In Los Angeles, you have 2 major brands for home bottled water (the kind that comes in 5 gallon jugs".  You have Sparklets, and Arrowhead.

Sparklets is Los Angeles tap water, that is run through additional filtration steps.  This removes the flouride, chlorine, and other chemicals added to the water, in addition to removing some of the minerals.  Arrowhead is water pumped from the Arrowhead resovoir.  It is straight mountain spring water, that is only processed to remove biological contaminants.

When it comes to the "commercial bottled water", it is an even mix.  Some of them are simply pruified tap water, and others are pumped from a local water source.  If they claim to be from a single source (Arrowhead, Perrier, Snake River Springs), then they are from a single source.  If they are simply use a generic name, then it is likely from a common source.

Myself, I never use bottled water unless I am on the road.  If I am driving through Georgia in summer, I will pick up a bottle of water because it is more refreshing then a bottle of soda.  But when I am at home, I use tap.

Written By: Apricot on 06/29/06 at 8:44 pm

I drink tap water. Never bought bottled water whilst here as our tap water is the only stuff worth drinking in the entire country. I won't touch water coming out of the taps in, say, Auckland for instance.  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/08/puke.gif

I drink tap water, too.. we have a cooler, but I.. I dunno, prefer plankton in my water? :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/29/06 at 9:14 pm

I drink only bottled water unless I have no other choice but to drink tap water.  I've been drinking bottled water for so long that I can't stand the taste of tap water.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/30/06 at 10:38 am

I drink tap water, too.. we have a cooler, but I.. I dunno, prefer plankton in my water? :D

What do you think you are, a whale?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 06/30/06 at 3:37 pm

I am a waterholic and a water connoisseur. Normally I drink tap water that has been filtered. We used to have one of the filters on our tap but it broke and we haven't replaced it-YET. I also filter it through one of those Britta thingies. I keep a gallon jug in the refridge (which I usually end up filling once a day or so). So yeah, I drink A LOT of water. When we are out and about and I am thirsty, I will buy bottled water. One time I bought a bottle of Dasani. I was so thirsty that I opened it up as I was standing in line to pay for it. Since I had a wait, I looked at the label. I was SHOCKED to discover that it had salt in it.  :o  (I'm a strange individual because don't like salt very much. In fact, whenever I eat stuff that is high in sodium, I get VERY, VERY thirsty and just can't get enough water-and then I feel bloated.)  Since I have discovered the salt factor, I REFUSE to buy Dasani and I have told many people that there is salt in it. There are some people who like (or need) the salt-but I am not one of them. But yeah, I don't make it very clear which is what p!sses me off. If they mentioned that it was added, that would be one thing. Now, if I do buy bottled water, it will be Poland Springs (from Maine) or Vermont Pure (you can guess where that is from).

Cat

Written By: Sister Morphine on 06/30/06 at 4:17 pm

I drink Dasani ALL THE TIME, and it neither tastes like salt, makes me bloated or makes me more thirsty than I was before.

Written By: Red Ant on 07/01/06 at 1:26 am

Personally, I think all bottled water is a con. The cheapest stuff is $0.59 for a 12oz bottle, which is passable, but Dasani and the like go for $1.25 on up for a 20oz bottle. Let me think about this a second... pay $1.25+ for water and a plastic bottle or walk 50 feet to the water fountain/cooler. Not a hard choice.

Also, I believe that many places in the US (maybe by law have to) give out water for free. Busch Gardens does this, and free sure beats paying $2.75 for a bottle of Dasani.
I'm not sure how many gallons my Brita filter is good for, but I know it's a hell of a lot cheaper than buying bottled water.

Most 20oz bottles are reusable, so buying a case of your favorite bottled water then refilling them from a Brita, Pur, or the like pitcher is perhaps the best way to go.

I will admit tap water here is pretty good by public water standards. I've been to places where the water is truly horrible, and if I go back I'd pay the buck and a quarter for something drinkable.

Written By: WhitePhoenix on 05/04/13 at 11:29 am

neg·li·gi·ble 
/ˈneglijəbəl/
Adjective
So small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.
Synonyms
insignificant - trifling - trivial - inconsiderable

People!!! Get over yourselves. You are not that smart and with your comments just looked stupider.

Written By: whistledog on 05/04/13 at 4:45 pm

neg·li·gi·ble 
/ˈneglijəbəl/
Adjective
So small or unimportant as to be not worth considering; insignificant.
Synonyms
insignificant - trifling - trivial - inconsiderable

People!!! Get over yourselves. You are not that smart and with your comments just looked stupider.

You just bumped a topic from 2006, that has not had any replies since 2006 to complain that we are dumb and stupid.  I am having trouble understanding your post about who the stupid ones are?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/16/13 at 12:57 am

You just bumped a topic from 2006, that has not had any replies since 2006 to complain that we are dumb and stupid.  I am having trouble understanding your post about who the stupid ones are?

OMG, no kidding!  It is hard for me to believe that a topic has been resurrected from before I joined the military.

It takes all kinds.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/16/13 at 12:16 pm

Scared me for a minute.  I thought I posted a thread in one of my late night trance states!  Turns out I don't remember the thread because it was seven years ago!
8)

Sounds like the result of a Google search by a Dasani water salesman?
???

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/16/13 at 5:57 pm

Scared me for a minute.  I thought I posted a thread in one of my late night trance states!  Turns out I don't remember the thread because it was seven years ago!
8)

Sounds like the result of a Google search by a Dasani water salesman?
???

So is that what you are calling it now?  ;) :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: Goodogbadog on 05/18/13 at 10:37 pm

Cat

Why on earth would some unknown no-one jump into the middle of folk's fun chat place to leak their polluted - um-  "water" all over them?

Written By: Mushroom on 05/18/13 at 10:55 pm

Why on earth would some unknown no-one jump into the middle of folk's fun chat place to leak their polluted - um-  "water" all over them?

Maybe they got tired of trolling at StormFront?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/21/13 at 2:21 pm

Calling....what?

http://images.zaazu.com/img/male20-male-cross-eye-dizzy-smiley-emoticon-000062-large.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/21/13 at 4:02 pm

Calling....what?

http://images.zaazu.com/img/male20-male-cross-eye-dizzy-smiley-emoticon-000062-large.gif

I'm teasing you, Max.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/21/13 at 4:47 pm

Here is the real bottled water con:

$1.
http://content.costco.com/Images/Content/Product/504762b.jpg

$5.
http://www.thismommysavesmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Nestle-Pure-Life-Water-24-pk1.jpg

::)

Written By: whistledog on 05/21/13 at 5:47 pm

$5 for a 24 pack?  You're overpaying.  I get 'em for $3.99 at Wal-Mart lol

Written By: Howard on 05/21/13 at 7:19 pm

$1.

$5.
http://www.thismommysavesmoney.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/Nestle-Pure-Life-Water-24-pk1.jpg

that's a bit too much.

Written By: Inertia on 05/22/13 at 7:23 am

I mostly drink well water. XD

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 05/25/13 at 12:10 am

I'm teasing you, Max.  :D ;D ;D ;D

Cat

Teasing me...about...what?

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTJUG6Hl2MeKa1cI9uVR0zNzszFBm6-v3yshDhEZ-kXicDOBib0rw

Written By: Tashlovglit on 05/28/13 at 8:42 pm

$1.

$5.

I drink the store brands.  It usually costs around $3.00.  I can get a 32 pack for not much more...

Check for new replies or respond here...