inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000s begining to look "aged"

Written By: Derek06 on 06/29/06 at 10:32 pm

I flipped on the Disney Channel and was watching Even Stevens and Lizzie Mcguire (both shows are on back to back) and it made me think: both shows were made post 1999, yet they are beginning to look very old.  I mean, the picture seems a bit granier (with those white dots poppin up every now and then, lol) and the CLOTHES that the kids are wearin, especially on Lizzie McGuire.  Kids wouldn't be caught dead wearin what Lizzie and Miranda were wearin during that show - yet, back then, they were tredndy and in-fashion.  Another "aged" aspect I'm noticing is how much different music was during 1999-2001 than it is today.  The songs back then were so kid/Radio Disney friendly, yet 20-year-olds liked the songs.  Now, it seems like alot (not all) songs on the radio are very mature for the younger ears, where Nickelodeon doesn't do Nick video Picks due to what is popular being to sexed up. 

Anyone else agree that some aspects of the early 2000s are begiining to get that "aged" feel to them?

Subject: Re: 2000s begining to look "aged"

Written By: Trimac20 on 06/29/06 at 10:42 pm

I flipped on the Disney Channel and was watching Even Stevens and Lizzie Mcguire (both shows are on back to back) and it made me think: both shows were made post 1999, yet they are beginning to look very old.  I mean, the picture seems a bit granier (with those white dots poppin up every now and then, lol) and the CLOTHES that the kids are wearin, especially on Lizzie McGuire.  Kids wouldn't be caught dead wearin what Lizzie and Miranda were wearin during that show - yet, back then, they were tredndy and in-fashion.  Another "aged" aspect I'm noticing is how much different music was during 1999-2001 than it is today.  The songs back then were so kid/Radio Disney friendly, yet 20-year-olds liked the songs.  Now, it seems like alot (not all) songs on the radio are very mature for the younger ears, where Nickelodeon doesn't do Nick video Picks due to what is popular being to sexed up. 

Anyone else agree that some aspects of the early 2000s are begiining to get that "aged" feel to them?

Oh come on, 2001? How much could fashion have changed since then? And more 20 year olds would have avoided that teen pop stuff than they would have embraced it. Though Ithink the 00s are ageing a bit (though 2000 does feel like yesterday), having past Middle Age they are going into Old Age. Hopefully, they will 'settle down' in their old age and mellow in character a bit, without getting boring.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/29/06 at 11:06 pm

There's no way all the songs from the early '00s are radio disney like, not even close. I think you're trying to talk about some of the bubblegum millennium era pop present from 1999-early 2001 which I wouldn't call radio disney like, however there was a lot of rap popular at the same time like Eminem or Nelly. 2001 was filled with explicit rap/hip-hop, and overall had not that much bubblegum pop. I never watched Lizzie McGuire much so I don't know about that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/29/06 at 11:36 pm

Oh come on, 2001? How much could fashion have changed since then? And more 20 year olds would have avoided that teen pop stuff than they would have embraced it. Though Ithink the 00s are ageing a bit (though 2000 does feel like yesterday), having past Middle Age they are going into Old Age. Hopefully, they will 'settle down' in their old age and mellow in character a bit, without getting boring.

The fashion is quite different...you'd know if you went to high school now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/29/06 at 11:39 pm

The fashion is quite different...you'd know if you went to high school now.

I didn't notice much of a difference from 02 in 05 really.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 12:01 am

I didn't notice much of a difference from 02 in 05 really.

More severely preppie, hipster, and boho.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/30/06 at 12:04 am

More severely preppie, hipster, and boho.

I never saw boho in my school lol.

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 12:12 am

I never saw boho in my school lol.

It sorta came in around fall 2005, just after you graduated.

Written By: bbigd04 on 06/30/06 at 12:15 am

It sorta came in around fall 2005, just after you graduated.

Is it getting bigger?

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 12:23 am

Is it getting bigger?

Yes, very much so...it's huge right now.

Written By: MtOlivePickles on 07/03/06 at 9:10 pm

Yes, very much so...it's huge right now.

Especially thanks to Mary-Kate Olsen and Sienna Miller, the latter of whom I blame for skinny jeans coming back in style. I will never go back to straight leg. Bootcut or nothing!

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/03/06 at 9:13 pm

It still feels like 2003 and 2004 to me pop culturally.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/04/06 at 10:48 pm

Everything before 2004 seems dated now, although 2006 feels like a return to 2002 or 2003 in some ways.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/04/06 at 11:10 pm

2000 and 2001 are slightly dated in certain ways, not really old looking but there are some differences.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/04/06 at 11:11 pm

2000 and 2001 are slightly dated in certain ways.

Yeah, I agree. 2000 and at least up to mid 2001 seems a bit dated. Late '01 and on dont seem that dated to me since that's when I started high school.

Check for new replies or respond here...