inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peak of "Bad Taste" Dressing

Written By: velvetoneo on 06/30/06 at 11:34 pm

I would say 2002...it's still around but now the preppie/boho and not the "slut" look is in style.

Subject: Re: Peak of "Bad Taste" Dressing

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/01/06 at 1:26 am

Bad Taste doesn't have a peak really. You will find it in every decade or heyday. Besides, bad taste is very subjective. One's taste in clothing does not have to fit some mode since it's based on opinion, often stuffy and confined, rather than fact.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/01/06 at 1:37 am

It was more like the "peek" of bad taste dressing, heh heh!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/naughty.gif

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/01/06 at 4:59 pm

The "slut look" peaked in the mid-1980's as all the teenage girls wanted to look like Madonna.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/01/06 at 8:32 pm

The "slut look" peaked in the mid-1980's as all the teenage girls wanted to look like Madonna.

Madonna did not look that slutty...I see the real "slutty dressing era" as being 1999-2004 or so, when all the girls wanted to look like Britney, Christina, and JLo.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/01/06 at 8:36 pm

Madonna did not look that slutty...I see the real "slutty dressing era" as being 1999-2004 or so, when all the girls wanted to look like Britney, Christina, and JLo.

I don't know, I still see most girls around here dressing very slutty.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/01/06 at 8:42 pm

I don't know, I still see most girls around here dressing very slutty.

What's become trendy is the preppie look. It has its slutty overtones, but overall the "super-slutty" 2003ish era has passed...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:54 am

What's become trendy is the preppie look. It has its slutty overtones, but overall the "super-slutty" 2003ish era has passed...

Yeah, girls around 2003 strived to be overtly slutty - around 2000 you had tops with bare-midrifts, but there is really not that much difference between 2002 and 2005 apart from the consolidation of the 'preppie' look.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/06 at 3:22 pm

I was watching some old ZZ Top videos yesterday on YouTube. Now that was a slutty look! Talk about bare midriff! I used to see girls as young as thirteen dressed like ZZ Top girls. You'd wonder why their mothers let 'em out of the house looking like that, but then you'd find out their mothers dressed exactly the same way!
;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/02/06 at 11:06 pm

I was watching some old ZZ Top videos yesterday on YouTube. Now that was a slutty look! Talk about bare midriff! I used to see girls as young as thirteen dressed like ZZ Top girls. You'd wonder why their mothers let 'em out of the house looking like that, but then you'd find out their mothers dressed exactly the same way!
;D

People always dressed slutty, definitely...I wonder why these 11-year old girls' parents actually let them out of the house dressed like Thai child prostitutes...I never would let my daughter out like that.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 11:35 pm

People always dressed slutty, definitely...I wonder why these 11-year old girls' parents actually let them out of the house dressed like Thai child prostitutes...I never would let my daughter out like that.

The way kids are these days, you can't really expect parents to keep tabs on them all the time. As the old adage goes, sonner or later the wild ass will stray from its keeper...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 11:37 pm

I would say 2002...it's still around but now the preppie/boho and not the "slut" look is in style.

The peak of Bad Taste dressing of all time, imo, is probably 1989 - you had the beginnings of the Hip-Hop gangsta look with the backwards shirts/caps, dorky Hawaiin shirts, baggy 'Grandpa' jeans more suited to the Nursing home than the dancefloor, alot of frilly, Victoriana sort of clothing (what was up with that?), Neons, Fluros, Leg-warmers...the list goes on.

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:27 pm

The peak of Bad Taste dressing of all time, imo, is probably 1989 - you had the beginnings of the Hip-Hop gangsta look with the backwards shirts/caps, dorky Hawaiin shirts, baggy 'Grandpa' jeans more suited to the Nursing home than the dancefloor, alot of frilly, Victoriana sort of clothing (what was up with that?), Neons, Fluros, Leg-warmers...the list goes on.

The backwards cap was around before then, most definitely. 

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/03/06 at 2:28 pm

The backwards cap was around before then, most definitely.  Who was rocking leg-warmers in 1989? That look was waaaay over before 1989.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/03/06 at 2:29 pm

I've seen crappy dressers since Day 1. 

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/03/06 at 6:12 pm

YEah.  Now if you wanna look "street" you have to wear your baseball cap beak off to the side at about a 45 degree angle.

IMHO, if you have to dress according to a formula your credibility is already gone. :-\\

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/03/06 at 9:12 pm

YEah.  Now if you wanna look "street" you have to wear your baseball cap beak off to the side at about a 45 degree angle.

IMHO, if you have to dress according to a formula your credibility is already gone. :-\\

What are you talkin' about? I dress according to a formula. I put my trousers on one leg at a time. Try it another way at your own peril!
;D

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 07/04/06 at 9:36 pm

You mean the way TLC dressed in their "Ain't Too Proud to Beg" video?

Written By: Chasey on 07/10/06 at 10:23 am

Not out here in Europe, nor in the UK it hasn't.....

With the recent warm weather, I've lost count of the number of RnB 'Honeyz' with the von dutch padded foam caps, J-Lo shades, belts for skirts, thin striped tight tops that reveal frontal belly button and nasty-looking rear tattoo. 

I'd say that it's now worse than ever .  They all seem to be about 13, and walk around like pieces of meat....for all dem rap boyz  ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/10/06 at 10:36 am

With the recent warm weather, I've lost count of the number of RnB 'Honeyz' with the von dutch padded foam caps, J-Lo shades, belts for skirts, thin striped tight tops that reveal frontal belly button and nasty-looking rear tattoo. 

I'd say that it's now worse than ever .  They all seem to be about 13, and walk around like pieces of meat....for all dem rap boyz  ::)

oh yuck...ghetto fab! ::) :-\\

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/10/06 at 10:39 am

I guess it came later there, that look is SO 2003 here.

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/11/06 at 10:25 pm

Precisely the reason I'm glad to have boys 8)  The worst I have to worry about is the crotch of their pants hanging down to their knees ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 10:32 pm

Precisely the reason I'm glad to have boys 8)  The worst I have to worry about is the crotch of their pants hanging down to their knees ;D

If that's true, they already would have a lucrative career set up for them.

Check for new replies or respond here...