inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Childhood vs Adolescence

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 8:35 am

Do you think the extent one is a 'product' of their childhood rather than their adolescence or vice versa. I think those born in the very late 60 and early 70s were more influenced by their teen years in the 80s because 80s culture was probably more teen focused than the pre-teen focused 90s. What do you think? Are Gen Y's more biased towards their childhoods? Do they hate their teens because they hate the era (those that do). What about you, personally?

Let the discussion flow like wine out of a toppled chalice... 8) ;D

Subject: Re: Childhood vs Adolescence

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/02/06 at 3:39 pm

Adolescence as a social period did not exist before the child labor and education reforms of the 19th and early 20th century. The need for literacy drove a lot of this. However, I see adults bcoming less and less literate and unwilling to leave adolescence behind. Furthermore, childhood is osmosing into just a form of pre-adolescence. Adolescence can now range anywhere from age 3 to age 40!
;D

I think the current mode of "adolescence," with the emphasis on socio-sexual competition creates social pathologies that damage the individual for life. It does not matter whether you were "popular" like my sister, or "unpopular" like me. The reason I learned how to be such a horrendous little sh*t was from defending myself against the assaultive behavior of the "popular" kids. I had to undertake rigorous psychological discipline to rid myself of this monstrosity that followed me into my '30s. I still haven't killed the beast, but it is in its last throes. I thought all the teenage angst would fade into white noise, but it never did. Members of my generation still act like teenagers. It's still all about socio-sexual competition. The pop culture fosters this because it's good for the consumer economy. However, the pathology locks people into permanent juvenile values. Seinfeld was a perfect illustration of this, except in the real world it's not funny, it's just sick! If people in my generation bother to even get married before getting in the family way, they cannot stay married, and they are passing a whole catechism of wrong-headedness to their children.
:\'(

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/02/06 at 10:55 pm

Adolescence as a social period did not exist before the child labor and education reforms of the 19th and early 20th century. The need for literacy drove a lot of this. However, I see adults bcoming less and less literate and unwilling to leave adolescence behind. Furthermore, childhood is osmosing into just a form of pre-adolescence. Adolescence can now range anywhere from age 3 to age 40!
;D

I think the current mode of "adolescence," with the emphasis on socio-sexual competition creates social pathologies that damage the individual for life. It does not matter whether you were "popular" like my sister, or "unpopular" like me. The reason I learned how to be such a horrendous little sh*t was from defending myself against the assaultive behavior of the "popular" kids. I had to undertake rigorous psychological discipline to rid myself of this monstrosity that followed me into my '30s. I still haven't killed the beast, but it is in its last throes. I thought all the teenage angst would fade into white noise, but it never did. Members of my generation still act like teenagers. It's still all about socio-sexual competition. The pop culture fosters this because it's good for the consumer economy. However, the pathology locks people into permanent juvenile values. Seinfeld was a perfect illustration of this, except in the real world it's not funny, it's just sick! If people in my generation bother to even get married before getting in the family way, they cannot stay married, and they are passing a whole catechism of wrong-headedness to their children.
:\'(

Adolescence as a stage in one's life seems to have overtaken even Childhood in significance. Alot of pop-culture seems so teen focused - as if this cachet has been sort of neglected in previous eras - they either grew up fast, married, had children, and died of lung cancer or something from working at a sooty factory in the prime of their life, or were bouffanted in their rich aristocracy, wedded off to some nobleman's son or daughter. And yes, as you say, the 'pathology locks people into permanent juvenile values' - I know many 20 somethings who still think they are in high school - I guess they are just immature, as one cannot blame high school for being a gossip. Of course we're effected in different ways by our teens and childhood and what happened during those periods, maybe some more than others.

Written By: fishryc on 07/03/06 at 11:20 am

Do you think the extent one is a 'product' of their childhood rather than their adolescence or vice versa. I think those born in the very late 60 and early 70s were more influenced by their teen years in the 80s because 80s culture was probably more teen focused than the pre-teen focused 90s. What do you think? Are Gen Y's more biased towards their childhoods? Do they hate their teens because they hate the era (those that do). What about you, personally?

Let the discussion flow like wine out of a toppled chalice... 8) ;D

SUPERILATIVE topic Trimac!!  (IMHO)  Great and honest response too, BTW Max Smart--

In my opinion, we are always learning, and, hence, are influenced by what we have "learned". Thus, our outlooks, opinions, words, and actions are influenced by the compilation of our individual learning experiences. (Influences that are not necessarily limited to our childhood or adolescent years)  By "learning experiences", I mean whatever you may have have encountered, values that you were raised by and under the influence of your parents, have personally lived through, have witnessed, etc. during the course of your time on Planet Earth.  Whether you are 20 or 70, you are unintentionally molded by these experiences (IMHO). I also feel that all, as an end product of all the above mentioned influential factors will transmogrify dramatically over the years. I was born in 1961 to a 39 year old Mom, and a 51 year old Pop. Hence, I was raised in a very conservative household and was comfortable with that until I was about 13. Then, my friends and peers that were my age and that were raised by parents that were 20 years younger than mine and with much more liberal POV's influenced my perspective heavily towards a much more liberal POV. Plus, this was from 1972 through 1979; post "Hippie" days, but still with most persons, TV, and all media being predominately of Liberal values. I fell in line with this until I started working for a living in NY State. In the 1980's, I reverted to more conservative values since I saw what I felt was a failure to produce a generation of "Productive" persons that will be running the country upon my retirement. The statistics for teen pregnancies, high school drop out's, criminal convictions, handgun crimes, drive by shootings, drug dealing arrests, etc., etc., etc., were then, and still are horrendous for inner city minority kids these days. And, who raised them? The persons of the above mentioned "liberal" generation!
These kids have all types of options and assistances available to them, but, they do not use them. Possibly because of their "Tune In, Turn On, and Drop Out" attitude of their folks?
Plus, as far as education goes, some, but not all, present day teachers "Pass Through" failing students just to get them off their hands.
I'm glad to see conservative minded school board and elected individuals pushing for,  and in some cases winning mandatory education / graduation mandates. Lets all hope that one day, all who leave high school are ready for college. (Or have at least trained for during their last two years of high school a "trade")
Anyway, I feel that we all are, and will continue to be, molded by our continuing experiences; and not just by our pre-teen or adolescent years.
S

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/03/06 at 9:53 pm

Yeah, of couse, Childhood and Adolescence are just the start of the journey - but they are arguably the stage in one's life when their ideas, values.etc are moulded - both from within (predominantly) and without. Our pre-conceived tendancies are like lenses through which we perceive what we like to call 'reality', and make choices and decisions which will direct our lives.

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/03/06 at 10:17 pm

;D

I see this too Max, and my uncle talks about it a lot, it really bothers him.  His opinion is that nowadays a lot of adults just don't like adults.  He remembers when he was a kid there was a DISTINCT line between a child and an adult.  Men read the paper, voted, planned for their future, provided stability(both financial and emotional) for their family, dressed in a "grown" manner, etc. 

Theres defiitely been a segment of our society the last few years that has promoted never-ending adolesence.  Originally this started with good intentions, as a rebellion against conformism and strict societal rules.  But over time its had negative effects.

Check for new replies or respond here...