inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 5 best Superhero movies ever

Written By: Mushroom on 07/08/06 at 12:13 pm

This summer, we have had 2 super hero type movies released, and I thought it would be interesting to see what everybodies favorite moves are.

Here are my top 5, in no particular order.  I am listing only the top movie from a series, instead of trying to list each individual movie.  With so many Superman and Batman movies, the list would be to long to be meaningfull.  I consider them all "my favorite", and would be unable to pick any one over another:

Superman II.  This is probably the best of the series.  #1 was bogged down by having to tell the "creation" story.  #3 was really a Richard Pryor movie, with Superman thrown in (Richard actually had more on-screen time then Christopher!).  #4 violates the Superman story in so many ways (no involvement with Eath politics as the worst), that I simply can't consider it as anything but a cheap rip-off.

Batman.  Michael Keeton, Danny Elfman, and Tim Burton.  Nothing even comes close, other then #2.  The others afterwards descended more and more into stupidity.

Spiderman.  Keeps very close to the storyline that we all have grown to love.  And the special effects were incredible, but did not overwhelm the story itself.  Much better then the cheezy 1970's tv series.

Darkman.  One of my favorite "anti-heros".  Just the idea that he could assume the face of anybody made for a very unusual character.  To bad the sequals all tended to be real stinkers.

Unbreakable.  Bruce Willis as a superhero?  M. Night made an awesome superhero movie that most people never saw, and most never realized was a superhero movie.  I am not going to give anything away, but Bruce Willis plays what is unquestionably the most "human" superhero ever seen on the screen.  And true to style, the movie has a plot twist at the end that will leave you gasping.

Honorable mentions:

X-Men.  1 and 2 were pretty good, but the constant comming and going of heroes left me cold.  3 was even worse, with seemingly half of the back-up cast vanishing.

Hulk.  A "could have been a contender" movie if ever there was one.  Great potential, but the "comic book" style of frames and "page turning" effects left me thinking more of the Batman TV series then anything else.

Blankman.  Yea, it was goofy, but I still watch it whenever I catch it on cable.

Subject: Re: 5 best Superhero movies ever

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/08/06 at 1:38 pm

Superhero Movies are always fun.  I have to agree with you that Superman II was the best one in the series.  I love the part when as Clark Kent Superman looks Lois Lane in the eye and says, "I have to! I gotta try damn it".  Knowing that one man cared so much about the rest of the world like that, makes him a real hero in my book.

I loved the Original Batman.  Tim Burton is a master at what he does.  He's able to draw the attention of kids without getting all happy go lucky about it like the sequels Batman Forever and Batman and Robin did.  Batman Returns was just plain weird, it was OVER the edge the other way and didn't have the "fun" that the original Batman did. 

Spiderman and Spiderman II were done very well.  This day in age casting directors only care about who looks the most "sexy" in the outfit and talent and charisma go out the window.  Ironically in this rare case this wasn't what we got. Instead we got a grand performance out of McGuire.

The Hulk was dredful.  If they wanted a successful movie they would have concentrated more on Bruce Banner and made it similar to the 1970's TV show.

I consider a lot of Horror movies to be hero movies as well. Well at least those that had a hero, nowadays' they refrain from using heros and just use a bunch of bimbos and idiots to fight the villan.  It's strange when you want the bad guy to win.

Written By: whistledog on 07/08/06 at 1:46 pm

1 | Darkman (1989)
Awesome! Awesome! movie.  The sequels sucked though

2 | Blade (1998)
Not a dull moment in this movie.  I loved it!  It was the best of the three

3 | Batman (1989)
How does one NOT like this one.  It was great

4 | The Legend of Zorro (2005)
Swashbuckling action!  I somewhat liked this better than 'The Mask of Zorro'

5 | The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (2003)
Great special effects.  I was thoroughly entertained

Written By: deadrockstar on 07/08/06 at 2:08 pm

Here are my top five.

1. Batman Begins - Its intense, story-driven and dark, but without devolving into the gothic fantasy opera of Tim Burton.  It stays very true to the source material, and Christian Bale is great in the lead.  His Batman is slightly better than Keaton's, but he really shined as Bruce Wayne.  His performance as the billionare playboy was light years ahead of any other performance thats been given as this character.  It seems none of the other movies have really gotten the fact that Bruce Wayne is supposed to be a foppish playboy- until this one.  This movie also has Liam Neeson, Michael Caine, Morgan Freeman, Tom Wilkinson- all "actor's actors", not "stars".  The previous Batman movies were WAY too much into stunt casting, they'd get a big name for no good reason who would just ham it up through the role. Perfect example being Arnold Schwarzenegger as Mr. Freeze, or even Nicholson as The Joker. This movie has another major advantage over the original- we get Batman's origin. I always hated that the Burton version started off with Batman already in existence.

2. Superman: The Movie - This is the founding father of all superhero movies. Its epic, heartfelt and the effects are incredibly well done for their time.  They made us believe a man can fly.  Christopher Reeve immortalized himself as the Man of Steel in the flesh, and all the scenes between him and Lois were wonderfully done.  Gene Hackman was very memorable as Lex Luthor. This movie also just simply 'got it right' when it comes to the origin of Superman and what he means.  The scenes with Brando as Jor-El were classic.

3. SpiderMan 2 - Like in the first movie Maguire is perfect as SpiderMan and Peter Parker.  Alfred Molina does great as Doc Ock, and the action scenes involving him and Spidey are breathtaking at points.  I think this improved upon the first one with a more layered story and better direction.  Some of the scenes are masterfully done, particularly the sequence showing Peter happily going about his life without his powers.  The movie also makes the villain sympathetic, which is kinda unusual for a comic movie.

4. Superman II - Its great for many of the same reasons as the first one. Chris Reeve as Superman, the story between him & Lois Lane, Hackman as Luthor, etc.  General Zod makes a very menacing foe in this movie. 

5. SpiderMan - The story tugs at your heart strings, and you really want to root for Peter Parker in this movie.  It really captures whats so great about Spidey as a superhero.  Peter Parker is a normal person with real problems, and the movie does a good job of bringing that story to life while still making a decent "comic"/action movie.  SpiderMan 2 did a much better job at this(integrating emotional elements of the story with action/plot elements) which is why it got ranked above this film.  Willem Dafoe gives a very solid performance as the Green Goblin, although it was somewhat dulled by the disaster of a costume they gave him.  The action sequences are all very good as well.

X-Men 1 & 2, Hellboy, and The Punisher(Thomas Jane version, not the Lundren version from the '80s) all get honorable mentions.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/08/06 at 2:09 pm

I remember watching a dire version of Spiderman with Nicholas Hammond in the cinemas mid 70s, and during some research into it, it was meant to be and was shown elsewhere as a TV Movie.

So this should not included in this listing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/08/06 at 2:35 pm

1.  Batman Begins -- The way Batman was supposed to be portrayed, although his being trained by Ra's Al Ghul had me skeptical at first...sorry about the spoiler :D  The Deluxe Edition 2-disk DVD of this movie was the best free gift I ever got :D

2.  Spider-Man 2 -- While I wasn't too keen with Spider-Man getting unmasked so many times, they did everything that I imagined could be done with Doctor Octopus and more.  Awesome.  Doc Ock is a much cooler villain than the Green Goblin, even though he's not quite as nuts.

3.  Unbreakable -- a very unorthodox superhero movie, but still gets you to think.  Not as successful as other Shyamalan movies, but probably because he made you think a bit too much.

4.  The Punisher -- The one with Tom Jane, not the travesty with Dolph Lundgren.  A well-made, low-budget revenge/punishment film.  Definitely worth a look-see.

5.  X-Men -- Excellent origin story for the franchise.  While the sequels made more money, this one is probably the best in my book.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/08/06 at 9:11 pm

1) Spider-Man

2) Superman: The Movie

3) Batman

4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

5) Blade

Honourable mentions:

Blade 2

Darkman

Unbreakable

Batman Begins

X-Men trilogy

Batman Returns

Superman II

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/08/06 at 10:16 pm

4) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

HAHA!  Forgot about that one, very enjoyable silly film :)

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/09/06 at 1:53 am

All you guys bad mouthing The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.  I thought it was a very good enjoyable movie.  If you're looking for "comic book" origin film it may not be your thing, understandable.  However I enjoyed the movie.  It seemed more like a Punisher part II to me than a Punisher cause it was 5 years into Frank Castle being the Punisher.  The fight scenes and story line were fun as well as the memorable quotes.  I really liked the ending of the movie and the way he killed the lady with the jump knife throw, even though it was unrealistic.  I liked both versions of the Punisher a lot.  Jaynes and Lundgrens.  I liked Jaynes more in the way that it showed how he came about and the certainty he had behind what he did.  On the same hand I liked Lundgrens better because it made him more insane, he questioned what he did day in and day out, talked with God.  The human side of him only existed in memory of his wife and two daughter's that came through in his incounter's with his actor friend, the kid's and his best friend.  I also liked how it didn't have a little love story between Castle and an attractive woman.  Both versions were good. 

Written By: whistledog on 07/09/06 at 2:35 am

Here's a little something interesting and funny ...

Watch Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

In one of the scenes where Superman lands on the moon, you can visibly see the cables that are suspending Reeve in the air ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 3:58 am

Here's a little something interesting and funny ...

Watch Superman IV: The Quest For Peace

In one of the scenes where Superman lands on the moon, you can visibly see the cables that are suspending Reeve in the air ;D
I saw this in the cinema when originally released, I do not remember a thing of it.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/09/06 at 11:34 am

My problem with Superman IV was that it had a lot of stupid moments in it.  It did have good moments too, but the stupid ones out did it.  For one I was a big fan of Ned Beatty's "Otis" and wasn't happy with the new Nephew character.  Secondly when the Bad Guy flew the woman up to outerspace and she was just fine up there.  Not that the rest of the movie or movies are realistic with a flying man with incredible strength and other unbelieveable superpowers, but that broke the barrier that the first three movies had.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 12:07 pm

All you guys bad mouthing The Punisher with Dolph Lundgren.  I thought it was a very good enjoyable movie.  If you're looking for "comic book" origin film it may not be your thing, understandable.  However I enjoyed the movie.  It seemed more like a Punisher part II to me than a Punisher cause it was 5 years into Frank Castle being the Punisher.  The fight scenes and story line were fun as well as the memorable quotes.  I really liked the ending of the movie and the way he killed the lady with the jump knife throw, even though it was unrealistic.  I liked both versions of the Punisher a lot.  Jaynes and Lundgrens.  I liked Jaynes more in the way that it showed how he came about and the certainty he had behind what he did.  On the same hand I liked Lundgrens better because it made him more insane, he questioned what he did day in and day out, talked with God.  The human side of him only existed in memory of his wife and two daughter's that came through in his incounter's with his actor friend, the kid's and his best friend.  I also liked how it didn't have a little love story between Castle and an attractive woman.  Both versions were good. 

I did like the part where Dolph escaped from the rack and then put the bad guy into it...then as he was about to leave, he changed his mind about letting the guy live and turned the machine on :D  That amused me.

Written By: Tia on 07/09/06 at 12:14 pm

superman (the 78 one, despite that idiotic musical number) AND superman II both get props. spiderman is pretty great. batman begins. and darkman, that's what i'd vote for.

the frank miller comic "the dark knight returns" is the all-around best superhero story ever. i want that to get made into a movie, it'd be a masterpiece.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/09/06 at 2:29 pm

i'm sorry to put all of the past batman movies to shame but i'd have to say the batman begins was the most realistic and exciting of them all. they really showed just how troubled bruce wayne really is.

Written By: Gucas Lrabreel on 07/09/06 at 2:49 pm

If Punisher was remade into something better, they could pimp up  "Super Girl" with Ashley Tisdale  :D

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/09/06 at 3:41 pm

i'm sorry to put all of the past batman movies to shame but i'd have to say the batman begins was the most realistic and exciting of them all. they really showed just how troubled bruce wayne really is.

I think that the original 1989 Batman with Michael Keaton did the same thing, if not just as much or more as Batman Begins.  I think it really got into the pyschology of Batman, who he is, why he is and why he does what he does.  Having the Joker be the person who killed his parents in the original Batman verses not the one who killed his parents in Batman Begins gives him even more motivation and reasoning.    I liked both movies though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/09/06 at 4:10 pm

I think that the original 1989 Batman with Michael Keaton did the same thing, if not just as much or more as Batman Begins.   I think it really got into the pyschology of Batman, who he is, why he is and why he does what he does.  Having the Joker be the person who killed his parents in the original Batman verses not the one who killed his parents in Batman Begins gives him even more motivation and reasoning.    I liked both movies though.
No the original Batman movie was in 1966 with Adam West.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/09/06 at 6:46 pm

And what would Lewis Wilson say to that?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/09/06 at 7:02 pm

Confound it, the batteries are DEAD! :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/06 at 1:31 am

And what would Lewis Wilson say to that?
I do not know if he was quoted on the matter.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 07/10/06 at 12:34 pm

I do not know if he was quoted on the matter.

Well if Adam West is the orginal in 1966, then what does that make Lewis Wilson in 1943?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/10/06 at 12:44 pm

Well if Adam West is the orginal in 1966, then what does that make Lewis Wilson in 1943?
Original as in feature film.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/11/06 at 10:16 am

I liked The Punisher with Thomas Jane, the original was ok though.

Written By: Gis on 07/11/06 at 10:29 am

What about Hellboy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/11/06 at 12:23 pm

What about Hellboy?
Who is Hellboy?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/06 at 12:29 pm

Superman II, X-Men, Spiderman I & II, Fantastic 4.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/11/06 at 5:32 pm

OK, here are some of what I think the worst ones are:

Superman 3 & 4:.  Richard Pryor had no business being in a Superman movie.  Slapstick comedy does not belong in a Superman movie.  Both of them together ruined it.  As for #4, it ruined so many things it is not funny.  Flying Lios Lane and the other gal to the moon without space suits only begins to show what was wrong with it.  Also, superman destroyed his "alternate self".  I seem to remember Superman has a "code against killing", so he would have tried to find some way to contain\exile the alternate, not destroy it.

Batman Forever:  I seem to remember watching the first 2 movies, and Harvey Dent was this distinguished looking black guy played by Billy Dee Williams.  Suddenly, he is this white guy played by Tommy Lee Jones.  Then taking away the dark edgy look and turning it into 1960's camp did not help matters.  People blame Val Kilmer for this movie being bad, but even Michael Keeton would have stunk in this version.

Batman & Robin: They just have to try 2 villians yet again, and it is simply to much.  Arnold looked more like the Stalker played by Jessie Venture in The Running Man then the villan he played in The Terminator.  Just like Val before him, nothing George Clooney could have done would have saved the film cause of the horrible script.

The Punisher (1989): Oh yea, like I am supposed to believ ethat Dolph Lundgren is a New York city cop.  His accent was worse then Arnold's in Conan.  Is worth watching if you want a laugh.

Captain America:  A horrible movie.  What gave them the idea to change the Red Skull from a German to an Italian?

Catwoman: Even the star said it was horrible before it was even released.  So full of plot holes and errors it was only good to watch if you like seeing Ms. Berry in skintight leather.

Judge Dreed: This is Sly doing his impersanation of Jessie Venture from The Running Man.  Looks more like a 6 year old in a robot suit made from cardboard boxes.

The Phantom: It might have worked with that story 50 years ago, when serials were still popular.  Came off more as a dated rip-off of Indiana Jones.

The Shadow:  Same problem.  Then add to it Alec Baldwin.  I loved the old radio show, but Alec absolutely ruined it, and the frontal labotomy ending made it worse.

Doc Savage: enough said.  ALthough I am still waiting for the second part they promised us at the end.

Written By: Tia on 07/11/06 at 5:39 pm

i admit i loathed and despised "fantastic four." gawd that movie BLEW!

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/11/06 at 7:21 pm

i admit i loathed and despised "fantastic four." gawd that movie BLEW!

I actually liked it...even thought I thought I would hate it...but it was better than I anticipated.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/11/06 at 10:07 pm

This is Hellboy.

http://stockimg.free.fr/wallpaperlinks/divx/cinema/hellboy.jpg

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/12/06 at 6:52 pm

1. V for Vendetta
2. X-Men 3
3. Spider-Man
4. X-Men 2
5 Spider-Man 2

not sure if V for Vendetta is classified as a superhero movie, but it was a GREAT movie

Check for new replies or respond here...