inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Dated early 2000s songs

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/10/06 at 7:01 pm

Not necessarily every song from the early part of this decade sounds dated, but a number of them do especially from 2000. I know this is probably a hip-hop biased list, but that was a big part of what I listened to then.

My "screams early 2000s" list of songs

What Would You Do- City High
Caramel- City High
Hey Ma- Cam'ron
Down 4 U- Ashanti/Ja Rule
Foolish- Ashanti
If I Could Go- Angie Martinez
Livin It Up- Ja Rule
Gangsta' Lovin- Eve
Escape- Enrique Iglesias
Don't Let Me Get Me- Pink
Uh Huh- B2K
Bump Bump Bump- B2K
I Do!- Toya
Hot In Herre- Nelly
Just A Friend 2002- Mario
Blurry- Puddle of Mudd
Where The Party At- Jagged Edge
It Wasn't Me- Shaggy
Ride Wit Me- Nelly
Family Affair- Mary J. Blige
Whenever, Wherever- Shakira
Differences- Ginuwine
I'm Real- J. Lo
All For You- Janet

Subject: Re: Dated early 2000s songs

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/10/06 at 7:05 pm

Anything by Evanescence or the White Stripes.

Written By: woops on 07/11/06 at 2:39 am

Anything numetal (ie Korn, Limp Bizkit, POD)

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 9:27 am

Also 'easy-breezy' and very late 90s pop like 'Story of a Girl' by Nine Days, and 'Every Morning' by Sugar Ray.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 9:29 am

Anything numetal (ie Korn, Limp Bizkit, POD)

Yeah...really all nu metal is pretty dated sounding, even if it was popular in like early 2003 or late 2002 (Godsmack, Limp Bizkit, Korn, SOAD, Linkin Park.)

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 10:43 am

Also 'easy-breezy' and very late 90s pop like 'Story of a Girl' by Nine Days, and 'Every Morning' by Sugar Ray.

Yeah definitely that stuff too.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 10:46 am

Yeah definitely that stuff too.

matchbox twenty.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 10:53 am

matchbox twenty.

Their earlier stuff is probably dated, but their most recent stuff I wouldn't really say so, similar music like The Fray or Three Doors Down last year has been recently popular.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 11:11 am

Their earlier stuff is probably dated, but their most recent stuff I wouldn't really say so, similar music like The Fray or Three Doors Down last year has been recently popular.

Jennifer Lopez's 1999-2001ish stuff now sounds quite dated.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 11:13 am

Jennifer Lopez's 1999-2001ish stuff now sounds quite dated.

Oh yeah definitely that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 11:25 am

Oh yeah definitely that.

Like they were having a "blast from the past" dance hour on this radio station I listen to and they played something like "If I Gave You All My Love", and it has this totally dated 1999/2000ish production...you know, the heavy poppy dance beats, synthesized sounding vocals, and sort of soft, slithery vocals that sound a little slurred and murmured and heavily layered. "Jenny from the Block" sounds pretty dated too...or Crazy Town.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:37 pm

Like they were having a "blast from the past" dance hour on this radio station I listen to and they played something like "If I Gave You All My Love", and it has this totally dated 1999/2000ish production...you know, the heavy poppy dance beats, synthesized sounding vocals, and sort of soft, slithery vocals that sound a little slurred and murmured and heavily layered. "Jenny from the Block" sounds pretty dated too...or Crazy Town.

Probably cos songs like 'Jenny from the Block' and also 'The Ketchup Song', Ricky Martin, Nelly Furtado are more 'Latino' pop, which seemed more a late 90s thing, hence sounded more dated.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 12:49 pm

Yeah Jenny From the Block is a very 2002/03 sounding song.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/11/06 at 12:50 pm

Yeah Jenny From the Block is a very 2002/03 sounding song.

Does anyone here a distinct '2006 sound' has developed yet? I've yet to see one, really. Most of it is just 2005 all over again.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/11/06 at 1:19 pm

I honestly believe nothing is embarrassingly, cringe-worthy dated, in the past 10-11 years.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/11/06 at 6:14 pm

How on earth can you guys tell the difference between something from the Early 00's and something from today?

The 00's have yet to have their own "style" or "sound" in Music, so it's nearly impossible for the Early 00's to have it's own identity.

For instance, it would have been easy to ask this question back in 1996, asking what songs from the Early 90's sound dated, because there was a major difference in the sound of music between say...1991 and 1996.  Can't say that with the 00's

You could throw on any track from 2000/2001 and I still would not be able to tell the difference from a 2006 song

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 8:14 pm

How on earth can you guys tell the difference between something from the Early 00's and something from today?

The 00's have yet to have their own "style" or "sound" in Music, so it's nearly impossible for the Early 00's to have it's own identity.

For instance, it would have been easy to ask this question back in 1996, asking what songs from the Early 90's sound dated, because there was a major difference in the sound of music between say...1991 and 1996.  Can't say that with the 00's

You could throw on any track from 2000/2001 and I still would not be able to tell the difference from a 2006 song

You can tell especially with hip-hop/pop stuff. It's different.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/11/06 at 9:17 pm

You can tell especially with hip-hop/pop stuff. It's different.

There's much more '80s/synth pop influence to hip-hop and pop today than there was in like, 2001 or 2002. Just listen to "SOS" or "Promiscuous."

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/11/06 at 9:30 pm

There's much more '80s/synth pop influence to hip-hop and pop today than there was in like, 2001 or 2002. Just listen to "SOS" or "Promiscuous."

Yeah that's true.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/11/06 at 11:38 pm

I still don't see it.  The only reason it's "simple" to tell the difference today is because we already know which songs are from the Early 00's, so it's obviously very easy to say that a certain song sounds Early 00's

I wish we could get some guy who was frozen for over 50 years, have him listen to a song from 2001 and then a song from 2006 and see if he can tell if there's a difference.  Atleast he wouldn't know ahead of time whether the song came from the early 00's or not.

The 00's does not have it's own musical identity.  Music has stopped growing/evolving, and it stopped growing/evolving around 1998, everything afterwards sounds similar to me, other than the fact that we know what year a certain song is from, so it's easy for us to claim that it sounds dated, but it really doesn't.  The only reason it's "dated" to someone is because the song was released over 5 years ago, but it still does sound similar to today's music.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/12/06 at 1:20 am

I still don't see it.  The only reason it's "simple" to tell the difference today is because we already know which songs are from the Early 00's, so it's obviously very easy to say that a certain song sounds Early 00's

I wish we could get some guy who was frozen for over 50 years, have him listen to a song from 2001 and then a song from 2006 and see if he can tell if there's a difference.  Atleast he wouldn't know ahead of time whether the song came from the early 00's or not.

The 00's does not have it's own musical identity.  Music has stopped growing/evolving, and it stopped growing/evolving around 1998, everything afterwards sounds similar to me, other than the fact that we know what year a certain song is from, so it's easy for us to claim that it sounds dated, but it really doesn't.  The only reason it's "dated" to someone is because the song was released over 5 years ago, but it still does sound similar to today's music.

Totally false, music is still very much evolving.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/12/06 at 2:28 am

Yoo hoo! 5.19! It's me, the guy who 'back-stabbed' you!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/12/06 at 3:24 am

Does anyone here a distinct '2006 sound' has developed yet? I've yet to see one, really. Most of it is just 2005 all over again.

I think the "2006 sound" is less hip-hop based and more based on a dance/Latin/'80s revivalist flavor in pop, and more A/C-oriented and soft rock oriented.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/12/06 at 4:44 pm

Not necessarily every song from the early part of this decade sounds dated, but a number of them do especially from 2000. I know this is probably a hip-hop biased list, but that was a big part of what I listened to then.

Caramel- City High
Hey Ma- Cam'ron
Foolish- Ashanti
Livin It Up- Ja Rule
Gangsta' Lovin- Eve
Escape- Enrique Iglesias
Uh Huh- B2K
Bump Bump Bump- B2K
I Do!- Toya
Hot In Herre- Nelly
Blurry- Puddle of Mudd
It Wasn't Me- Shaggy
Ride Wit Me- Nelly
Differences- Ginuwine
I'm Real- J. Lo
All For You- Janet

Yeah, I was a big hip-hop fan C. 2000 as well so I remember nearly every song on this list. Most of the songs on here do seem quite dated esp. that City High song. I had totally forgotten about them but they were huge back in 2000/2001.

Written By: Starde on 07/13/12 at 2:50 pm

Caramel- City High
Hey Ma- Cam'ron
Foolish- Ashanti
Livin It Up- Ja Rule
Gangsta' Lovin- Eve
Escape- Enrique Iglesias
Uh Huh- B2K
Bump Bump Bump- B2K
I Do!- Toya
Hot In Herre- Nelly
Blurry- Puddle of Mudd
It Wasn't Me- Shaggy
Ride Wit Me- Nelly
Differences- Ginuwine
I'm Real- J. Lo
All For You- Janet

Wow, that list just took me back... I remember when a lot of these songs used to be played on the radio. Crazy how music has changed in 10 years.

Written By: Howard on 07/13/12 at 7:25 pm

The Ketchup Song-Las Ketchup

Written By: Emman on 07/13/12 at 9:46 pm

This comment is mostly crap, could this person not see teen-pop and nu metal fell out of favor by 2006 in place of snap rap, crunk, emo, and indie/dance rock, a noticeable difference to me. Post-grunge was pretty popular in the early '00s and late '00s though, the style of the '00s is multifaceted, like crunk for the urban/hip-hop sound, emo/mall punk for the rock sound of the decade. Damn some people are just dense as a rock! ;D

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/13/12 at 11:52 pm

This comment is mostly crap, could this person not see teen-pop and nu metal fell out of favor by 2006 in place of snap rap, crunk, emo, and indie/dance rock, a noticeable difference to me. Post-grunge was pretty popular in the early '00s and late '00s though, the style of the '00s is multifaceted, like crunk for the urban/hip-hop sound, emo/mall punk for the rock sound of the decade. Damn some people are just dense as a rock! ;D

I agree there is a noticeable difference now. But in 2006, I think people still put early 2000s to mid 2000s together because it sounded more similar than it does now, in the 2010s to a mid 00s song. The difference was big but not huge. Not as huge as today's electropop compared to 2000s hip hop.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/14/12 at 2:48 am

This comment is mostly crap, could this person not see teen-pop and nu metal fell out of favor by 2006

Hmm, in my opinion that comment from 2006 is a good example to examine what people really felt within the 00s about their decade. It also underlines that decades have to be over to really identify the differences within a decade. It is also a perfect example to show that changes do not happen from one month to another and that threads which compare the atmosphere within years (e. g. January vs. December)  are more or less nonsense. Even 'Year vs. other Year' or threads like 'Which year was the worst' are not very useful because everything is transitional and there are no clear borders.

In addition to that, in 2006, the early 2000's were really not that old and the songs still felt pretty recent.

Written By: Jquar on 07/14/12 at 9:07 pm

I wouldn't have felt a huge difference back in 2006 either. 2000 music sounds very late 90s but most 2001-2007 stuff in retrospect all sounds pretty similar now. 2006 feels a lot closer to 2001 in sound than it does to 2008, thanks to the explosion of autotune and electronic stuff around then.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/19/12 at 1:33 am

I think the "2006 sound" is less hip-hop based and more based on a dance/Latin/'80s revivalist flavor in pop, and more A/C-oriented and soft rock oriented.

The songs I remember that stood out in 2006 were "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, "Sexy Back" by J. T-lake, and "Promiscuous Girl" by Nelly Furtado.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/19/12 at 2:02 am

The songs I remember that stood out in 2006 were "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter

Those two are 2005.

Written By: slim on 07/19/12 at 10:26 am

Any teen pop song basically.

Written By: slim on 07/29/12 at 5:50 pm

This song came out in 2000,  this video looks really dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvsozMhbS4&feature=related

Written By: Starde on 07/29/12 at 6:05 pm

This song came out in 2000,  this video looks really dated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtvsozMhbS4&feature=related

Oh man, I love this song! First heard it when I was a kid then rediscovered it a couple of years ago when I was in high school. Yeah, the video does look really dated. It even shows a N64 controller! I always thought the song sounded very similar to George Michael's "Fastlove". I also liked their song "Faded":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8ElS3eS0I8

I wonder what happened to them.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/29/12 at 6:37 pm

The songs I remember that stood out in 2006 were "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt, "Bad Day" by Daniel Powter, "Sexy Back" by J. T-lake, and "Promiscuous Girl" by Nelly Furtado.

This is true the urbanness was fading by then. It was still classic 2000s  with a hint of what was2 come

Written By: 90s was the gold on 09/07/12 at 8:58 pm

Westlife - Flying Without Wings (released in 1999 I think, but popular in 2000)
Blue - All Rise
Hearsay - Pure And Simple
Heather Small - Proud
Chad Kroeger - Hero
Eminem - Without Me

Check for new replies or respond here...