inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are you ready for... Chess Boxing?

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/06 at 1:39 pm

Apparently there is a new sport sweeping through Germany and other areas of Europe.  And it is called "Chess Boxing".

It is a combination of Chess and Boxing.  The players start off with a 4 minute round of chess.  At the end of the 4 minutes, the competitors then have a 2 minute round of boxing.  Then they go back to chess, alternating for 6 rounds of chess, and 5 of boxing.  A player can win through going over their time limit in chess (it is a speed game and timed), a knock-out, or a checkmate.

There seems to be a growing fan base for the sport, and there are even womens teams forming.  I wonder if this is going to be part of the next "X-Games" here in the US.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3208
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=chessboxing

Subject: Re: Are you ready for... Chess Boxing?

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 1:47 pm

Apparently there is a new sport sweeping through Germany and other areas of Europe.  And it is called "Chess Boxing".

It is a combination of Chess and Boxing.  The players start off with a 4 minute round of chess.  At the end of the 4 minutes, the competitors then have a 2 minute round of boxing.  Then they go back to chess, alternating for 6 rounds of chess, and 5 of boxing.  A player can win through going over their time limit in chess (it is a speed game and timed), a knock-out, or a checkmate.

There seems to be a growing fan base for the sport, and there are even womens teams forming.  I wonder if this is going to be part of the next "X-Games" here in the US.

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3208
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/eticket/story?page=chessboxing
Are the finals played on April 1st of each year?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/06 at 2:39 pm

Do the players make increasingly stupid moves as they continue to be concussed and lose brain cells? :D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/06 at 2:48 pm

Do the players make increasingly stupid moves as they continue to be concussed and lose brain cells? :D

Ya know what I would love to see in a "Chess Boxing" match?

How about Bobby Fischer Vs. Mike Tyson?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/06 at 2:50 pm

I think Bobby Fischer would get his fingers bitten off :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 2:57 pm

I have seen Football Boxing, in fact there was some last Sunday night.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/06 at 3:07 pm

I have seen Football Boxing, in fact there was some last Sunday night.

Of course, there is the always popular Canadian sport of "Hockey Boxing".

Then in Europe (especially England), there is the very popular "Soccer Boxing".  Although in that sport, it is the teams that play the Soccer, and the fans that do the boxing.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/12/06 at 3:07 pm

Of course, there is the always popular Canadian sport of "Hockey Boxing".

Then in Europe (especially England), there is the very popular "Soccer Boxing".  Although in that sport, it is the teams that play the Soccer, and the fans that do the boxing.   8)
On Sunday it was not the fans doing the boxing.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/12/06 at 3:11 pm

But in true soccer spirit, he didn't use his hands :D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/12/06 at 5:26 pm

I did not watch the World Cup, or any sports to be honest.  My only realy interest in watching sports is Skiing.  I have no real interest in anything else.

However, it seems like every time there is some kind of Soccer match, there are riots.  And it always seems to involve England, Italy, and Germany.

And I am not going to insert the obvious joke stating that Italy and France are not involved because they either surrender or retreat.  It is joust not appropriate (with tongue in cheek).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/12/06 at 9:15 pm

What about golf and boxing?  ;D

Written By: Mushroom on 07/14/06 at 4:01 pm

What about golf and boxing?  ;D

In the words of Rosie O'Donnel:

Golf is not a sport, it is just men in ugly pants walking.

:D

Check for new replies or respond here...