inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are Coldplay the Band of the Decade?

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/13/06 at 2:44 am

Are Coldplay the most popular band of the '00s?

Subject: Re: Are Coldplay the Band of the Decade?

Written By: chaka on 07/13/06 at 7:09 am

No,it would have to be some Hip hop or RnB artist.

Written By: Dominic L. on 07/13/06 at 11:08 am

Coldplay aren't nearly as popular as some others.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/13/06 at 11:40 am

I think Green Day is the most popular band so far in this decade, no rock album has come close to the success of American Idiot.

Written By: Tia on 07/13/06 at 12:03 pm

although coldplay came out in the '00s i really think of them more as late '90s.

Sorry! sorry! :-[

american idiot is a pretty great song. that took a lot of guts for them to do that tune when they did.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/13/06 at 12:27 pm

I would say they're the biggest band of the middle part of this decade - in the early 00s it was a toss-up between them and U2, with bands like Green Day, the White Stripes and the Strokes following behind. Franz Ferdinand are close in tow, but have not yet reached the stature of Coldplay.

Written By: Tia on 07/13/06 at 12:37 pm

u2 has certainly pulled off a remarkable feat. they were monstrously popular way back in the early 80s, i'm stunned people are even still talking about them. they must have made some kinda record for most long-lasting band.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 2:03 pm

I would say they're the biggest band of the middle part of this decade - in the early 00s it was a toss-up between them and U2, with bands like Green Day, the White Stripes and the Strokes following behind. Franz Ferdinand are close in tow, but have not yet reached the stature of Coldplay.

Emo and "hipster rock" have not yet had a leader, though I think the archetypical emo band is Dashboard Confessional or Panic! At the Disco. Bright Eyes and Arcade Fire are also pretty huge.

U2 has gotta be the longest running rock band that people don't just see for like, "the oh! They're still here!" Rolling Stones factor.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/13/06 at 2:15 pm

No,it would have to be some Hip hop or RnB artist.

Yeah, with hip-hop being so popular one of those guys would have to be the artist of the decade. I'd say probably 50 Cent or something like that.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 2:18 pm

Yeah, with hip-hop being so popular one of those guys would have to be the artist of the decade. I'd say probably 50 Cent or something like that.

I think the artists of the '90s were Mariah Carey, Nirvana, and Pearl Jam. The artists of the '80s were Prince, Madonna, and Michael Jackson. We have to wait through the rest of the decade to see if said groups continue to be popular before we make a judgment.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/13/06 at 4:03 pm

It would be ironic for Coldplay to be the band of the hottest decade on record.

Well, we've got a few years yet, but I think in 2011 when all the stats are in, the '00s will be hotter than the '90s which was the hottest decade on record!
  http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sqcold.gifhttp://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/ukliam3.gif

Written By: Satish on 07/13/06 at 4:16 pm

You could make the case that Nelly or Eminem is the artist of the decade.

Written By: woops on 07/13/06 at 5:10 pm

no, Natasha Bedingfield  8) :-*

Honestly, I don't have a clue...

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/13/06 at 5:11 pm

You could make the case that Nelly or Eminem is the artist of the decade.

It's probably 50 Cent combining record sales and chart success, Eminem or Usher would be close.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 6:17 pm

It's probably 50 Cent combining record sales and chart success, Eminem or Usher would be close.

However, Eminem sort of extinguished starting in 2003 in terms of chart success. A true "band of the decade/artist of the decade" would be somebody who was fairly successful through the decade, like Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and U2 were to the '80s and Mariah Carey or TLC were to the '90s. I think 50 Cent or Beyonce would be the "artist of the decade", shortly followed by Usher and Nelly.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/13/06 at 7:12 pm

However, Eminem sort of extinguished starting in 2003 in terms of chart success. A true "band of the decade/artist of the decade" would be somebody who was fairly successful through the decade, like Prince, Madonna, Michael Jackson, and U2 were to the '80s and Mariah Carey or TLC were to the '90s. I think 50 Cent or Beyonce would be the "artist of the decade", shortly followed by Usher and Nelly.

Eminem still did well in 2004/05, with D12 and then his following album Encore. "Just Lose It" and "Mockingbird" did quite well. "Shake That" was also a decent hit in early 2006.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/13/06 at 7:28 pm

Yeah, that's the same reason I said 50 Cent, based on record sales he probably has about the biggest right now(not sure though).  But hey there's still 3 1/2 years left so who knows?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/13/06 at 8:10 pm

Eminem still did well in 2004/05, with D12 and then his following album Encore. "Just Lose It" and "Mockingbird" did quite well. "Shake That" was also a decent hit in early 2006.

He did well...but his superstardom peaked in 2002, along with Jennifer Lopez. Interest in him has definitely declined a fair amount. He's sort of the equivalent, along with the aforementioned JLo, of Hall and Oates or Journey for the '00s (huge at the beginning of the decade, still sort of big through the rest of it but past peak.)

Check for new replies or respond here...