inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are we in a recession?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/14/06 at 11:23 am

I noticed that the stock market took a nose-dive this week, but more important, the end Q2 (June '06) showed a decline from the end of Q1 (March '06). Could this be the beginning of the 2006 recession that has been predicted from a few years ago? We'll just have to see how things go in the fall.

Subject: Re: Are we in a recession?

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/15/06 at 7:16 am

I noticed that the stock market took a nose-dive this week, but more important, the end Q2 (June '06) showed a decline from the end of Q1 (March '06). Could this be the beginning of the 2006 recession that has been predicted from a few years ago? We'll just have to see how things go in the fall.

batfan,

I would not look at the stock market (up or down) as an indicator of an impending recession.  The market does all sorts of stupid things and it is a massive head game.

But, with the recent rate hikes (to keep inflation in check) annd now with the huge increases in oil prices, the economy is at a crossroads.  If the oil prices lead to across-the-board price increases for stuff, the Fed will put the hammer down and increase interest rates to keep things in check.  Then you could have a recession.

Check for new replies or respond here...