inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are people getting rude in 2006?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/16/06 at 11:04 pm

I don't know if it's because I live in San Diego, but I notice a lot more rudeness from people lately. Almost everytime I go out somewhere now people are just having attitudes for no reason. Is it just San Diego, or are people getting ruder where you live?

Subject: Re: Are people getting rude in 2006?

Written By: 80s_cheerleader on 07/17/06 at 10:20 am

It's not just San Diego.....and it's been going on for a LONG time ::)

Written By: Roadgeek on 07/17/06 at 3:17 pm

Just another reason why I don't like the '00s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/06 at 3:19 pm

It seems that standards in politeness began to fall during the last decade, long before 2006.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 3:22 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been going on since 1920, when those damned women got the vote and started smoking. Obscene!

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/17/06 at 3:26 pm

I'm pretty sure it's been going on since 1920, when those damned women got the vote and started smoking. Obscene!
After the Second World War when women started earning for themselves and building up a career without men!

Written By: Tanya1976 on 07/17/06 at 5:59 pm

After the Second World War when women started earning for themselves and building up a career without men!

Hey, hey, hey!

Written By: Sister Morphine on 07/17/06 at 6:06 pm

How dare those women?!  We're supposed to be barefoot and pregnant, cooking dinner for our men. 

People have been rude since the dawn of time and people will be rude until the end of time.

Written By: rich1981 on 07/18/06 at 1:49 am

Hey, the cost of living here is insane, especially real estate and gas, which can be enough to anger people.

Written By: wsmith4 on 07/18/06 at 10:49 am

that and the business of life in general.  too much to do.  too many other people around - too much traffic, too many crowds, too many long lines to stand in.  not enough time to just relax in peace and quiet.  this world is overpopulated and really becoming unliveable

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/18/06 at 11:09 am

that and the business of life in general.  too much to do.  too many other people around - too much traffic, too many crowds, too many long lines to stand in.  not enough time to just relax in peace and quiet.  this world is overpopulated and really becoming unliveable

..not to mention all those bloody screws puncturing our tyres  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/18/06 at 3:37 pm

Occasionally I've thought this too, but no, I think it just depends where you live, as well as the individual people you run across. In the Bay Area for instance, it's not as much of a "smalltalk with strangers" mentality (which I do think is kinda unfortunate), but it's not like it would've been that different in 1986 or 1976, etc.

Written By: annonymouse on 07/18/06 at 7:45 pm

people have always been rude

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/18/06 at 7:49 pm

people have always been rude

Absolutely...especially all those other S.O.B.s on the Interstate!

Hey, the cost of living here is insane, especially real estate and gas, which can be enough to anger people.

I fight feelings of rage on a daily basis. Our standard of living is going down the crapper, our country is controlled by war-mongering religious fundamentalist nutjobs, gasoline at $3.05 a gallon is now a bargain, it's 93 degrees in the shade, and all the air pollution just sits on the at nose level with nowhere to go. Yeah, I'm p*ssed as hell. I do try not to be rude to people in spite of all this misery. They say what goes around comes around. Half true. If you're nice to folks, they just might not be nice to you! I can guarantee from personal experience, however, if you're rude to others, rudeness will return to you ten-fold!

I figger Iffen I don't keep my rage under control nowadays...I don't know what! Did'ja ever see that Michael Douglas movie "Falling Down"? "Taxi Driver," perhaps. "Mad Max," that's a good one, most apropos...

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/bom.gif

Written By: Red Ant on 07/18/06 at 11:38 pm

I don't know if it's because I live in San Diego, but I notice a lot more rudeness from people lately. Almost everytime I go out somewhere now people are just having attitudes for no reason. Is it just San Diego, or are people getting ruder where you live?

The locals don't change, and for the most part they are usually polite....

....tourists on the other hand are more rude (and stupid) every year.  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/06 at 1:13 am

The locals don't change, and for the most part they are usually polite....

....tourists on the other hand are more rude (and stupid) every year.   >:(

Somehow tourists think they ruled the world!

Written By: Red Ant on 07/19/06 at 3:05 am

Somehow tourists think they ruled the world!

I think the main problem here in Virginia is that tourist season typically runs from June-September, which are the hottest months of the year. Today it reached 97*, and the humidity was a very low 55% (usually it's 90+%). Also, on days like today, the air does not move. At all.

So, when tourists are drenched in sweat and half near heat stroke by the time they take 3 steps from their overpacked brat-wagons, they are usually not too pleasant about things.

Tourists also tend to get pissy when the elevators fail at my place of employment. Since I know how to at least get the doors open, I'm the first person they see, and the first they b*tch at, which is what happened yesterday...

....what really irritated me is that I already knew that elevator wasn't working, and so did the man of the couple - he's the one who alerted us it was stuck. Earlier I had placed a big sign on the elevator door, at eye level, that said in big, black letters:

OUT OF
ORDER

Yet they still got on it, and got stuck (for all of 2 minutes). When I let them out, his woman friend decided to vent at me for something wholly beyond my control (and was a product of their own stupidity), as even throwing the disconnect is technically not allowed by anyone other than trained elevator technicians.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/20/06 at 12:47 pm

I just didn't notice that much rudeness from people in 2004 or most of 2005, since people were happier and optimistic about the future then. 2006 is when things started to get stressful, with our economy, the situation in the middle east, out of control gas prices, and pessimism about the future. I also noticed a lot of attitudes from people back in 2003.

Written By: HunkyDory on 07/20/06 at 7:13 pm

in livermore people can be pretty rude....

Check for new replies or respond here...