inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "High School Musical"... Good thing I don't have kids!

Written By: David Sari on 07/17/06 at 1:11 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13881742/site/newsweek/
6 Emmy nods  :o

Wonder if Tiffany's son would get freaked out that Ashley Tisdale looked like his mother...  ::)  ;D

Subject: Re: "High School Musical"... Good thing I don't have kids!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 1:21 am

HSM seems like a 1993-1998 born sort of thing, actually, like a "late Y/early Z" phenomenon. The Disney Channel teenybopper programming is a late Y thing, like the last five years or so...it's one of the things that defines the peak Y/late Y transition and the last third of Y. Like maybe only a few kids born in 1989 and 1990 watched shows like Lizzie McGuire, but when you get to 1991 it increases, and heavily increases by 1992.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 2:03 am

HSM seems like a 1993-1998 born sort of thing, actually, like a "late Y/early Z" phenomenon. The Disney Channel teenybopper programming is a late Y thing, like the last five years or so...it's one of the things that defines the peak Y/late Y transition and the last third of Y. Like maybe only a few kids born in 1989 and 1990 watched shows like Lizzie McGuire, but when you get to 1991 it increases, and heavily increases by 1992.

Yeah, I'd say the average HSM fan was born in about 1995. I also agree that the 'D.C teenybopper fad' is a late Y trend. Most peak Yers(about 1984-1990) are way too old to be into that stuff right now.

Written By: bbigd04 on 07/17/06 at 2:23 am

Yeah most of the kids that like this crap appear to be in the 13 and under age bracket. I really haven't watched Disney since 1998, so I know little about it, mainly from the horrible songs I sampled on itunes.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 8:47 am

Yeah most of the kids that like this crap appear to be in the 13 and under age bracket. I really haven't watched Disney since 1998, so I know little about it, mainly from the horrible songs I sampled on itunes.

People born after 1990 definitely don't have as much of a mainstream teenybopper culture as we did...

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/17/06 at 12:02 pm

People born after 1990 definitely don't have as much of a mainstream teenybopper culture as we did...

My generation was probably ideally placed to imbibe the whole fluffy Teen Pop phenomena in all its sanguine, sugar-coated glory...I know many my age who were into the Spice Girls (we were 11 in 1997), were the perfect age for the Black Street Boys, S Club 7.etc. On other fronts, we were on the tale end of classic Nick ('Guts'.etc), Saturday Disney, the Mickey Mouse Club.etc. Though we did miss the first-gen Degrassi Junior High.

But on topic, I kept seeing ads for H.S.M. on itunes.etc without having a cinder in snow of a conception of what the hell it was. I guess it proves I'm really out of touch of what is 'cool' for today's 8-14 year old demographic.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 1:28 pm

My generation was probably ideally placed to imbibe the whole fluffy Teen Pop phenomena in all its sanguine, sugar-coated glory...I know many my age who were into the Spice Girls (we were 11 in 1997), were the perfect age for the Black Street Boys, S Club 7.etc. On other fronts, we were on the tale end of classic Nick ('Guts'.etc), Saturday Disney, the Mickey Mouse Club.etc. Though we did miss the first-gen Degrassi Junior High.

But on topic, I kept seeing ads for H.S.M. on itunes.etc without having a cinder in snow of a conception of what the hell it was. I guess it proves I'm really out of touch of what is 'cool' for today's 8-14 year old demographic.

I don't even think it's cool for people who are 14 anymore...it seems like the oldest people who like it are born in like, 1993.

Written By: David Sari on 07/17/06 at 1:30 pm

There's tons of 14 year old fans, check out Amazon  :o

Mostly for Zac Efron and Ashley Tisdale, though both are actually much older than their the characters they play

Guess "College Musical" wouldn't work  ::) :P

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 1:41 pm

There's tons of 14 year old fans, check out Amazon  :o

Mostly for Zac Efron and Ashley Tisdale, though both are actually much older than their the characters they play

Guess "College Musical" wouldn't work  ::) :P

I don't think anybody over that would be caught dead with it.

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/17/06 at 1:44 pm

I don't think anybody over that would be caught dead with it.

You probably know about it cos at least you're still in high school, so you can see what all the seventh, eighth graders etc. are into. I'm totally out of touch with that teens 13-19 are into these days. I probably talk to people 25+ than than those younger than myself.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 3:23 pm

You probably know about it cos at least you're still in high school, so you can see what all the seventh, eighth graders etc. are into. I'm totally out of touch with that teens 13-19 are into these days. I probably talk to people 25+ than than those younger than myself.

Hmm...yeah. Like I knew that the class of '05 was the last class where there were more nu metal fans than emo fans, and the last class that had some of those Eminem-clone types. The class of '06 starts emo being more than nu metal in terms of fans, and there are no remaining nu metal fans at all after the classes of '08 or '09. People born in 1992 are the first class who were totally too young for it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/17/06 at 4:17 pm

Hmm...yeah. Like I knew that the class of '05 was the last class where there were more nu metal fans than emo fans, and the last class that had some of those Eminem-clone types. The class of '06 starts emo being more than nu metal in terms of fans, and there are no remaining nu metal fans at all after the classes of '08 or '09. People born in 1992 are the first class who were totally too young for it.

Yeah, I noticed this last year too. That there were way more people in the junior class that were into emo than the people in my class. Even though there was a group of people in my class that were into it last year. I think the oldest a HSM fan could be is 14('92er) and I would say that even that is pretty rare. Most HSM fans were born in the mid/late '90s.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 5:04 pm

Yeah, I noticed this last year too. That there were way more people in the junior class that were into emo than the people in my class. Even though there was a group of people in my class that were into it last year. I think the oldest a HSM fan could be is 14('92er) and I would say that even that is pretty rare. Most HSM fans were born in the mid/late '90s.

Yeah, most people who are HSM fans were born within a few years of 1995, like 1993-1998, a little later than that in terms of casual interest. By the time people are 8th graders, they're looking to get out of teenybopper stuff; the really peak market is people in 5th and 6th grade in terms of "teenyboppers." The class of '05 was the last one to hold onto some stuff about 2001, like the Eminem clones and nu metal. There were some '00sy hipsters in the class of '05, but the number of hipsters and emos was way, way higher in the class of '06.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 5:22 pm

I wonder if people felt the same about "Grease" when it came out. I haven't seen HSM, but I actually have been very curious to watch it. I may not pay the money to rent it, but once we get extended cable and if I see it on Disney, I may attempt to catch it. Some of the kids are almost within my age range who star in the movie. Kinda weird that they're playing kids much younger than themselves.

Written By: Snot on 07/17/06 at 5:29 pm

It's on Disney Channel tonight at 8

Ashley Tisdale is turning into the new Disney Girl  ::)

I  doubt she'll want to play a teenager and sing bubblegum pop by the time she's 25...

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 6:07 pm

I think Zac Efron was born in 1987 (I know he's Jewish) and Ashley Tisdale was born in 1985 and is from Jersey...and yet they're playing people much younger than they are, which is usually true of that sort of movie. They're both the biggest "teen idols" since like, Leonardo diCaprio and the guys from N'Sync and BSB, and in terms of being film stars in the movies of young people, probably the biggest since the '80s with the Coreys. Who here wants to bet they'll both end up on drugs or something and getting arrested by the early 2010s?

Written By: Eac Zeffron on 07/17/06 at 6:13 pm

Ashley Tisdale is like a young Deborah Gibson  without the talent

Both like Elton John & Billy Joel
Both write songs, which Tisdale is doing on her debut CD
Both have big noses, though Debbie looked cuter
Deb pllayed piano, but Ash stopped sometime ago
Both started at musicals, and did "Les Miserables" (though not together unfortunately)

But Ashley Tisdale LOOKS like Tiffany!!!  :o

Winner: Deb, and I bet she would be offended by the movie since she's an actual stage actress

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 6:43 pm

I think Zac Efron was born in 1987 (I know he's Jewish) and Ashley Tisdale was born in 1985 and is from Jersey...and yet they're playing people much younger than they are, which is usually true of that sort of movie. They're both the biggest "teen idols" since like, Leonardo diCaprio and the guys from N'Sync and BSB, and in terms of being film stars in the movies of young people, probably the biggest since the '80s with the Coreys. Who here wants to bet they'll both end up on drugs or something and getting arrested by the early 2010s?

They're popular, but I don't think they've reached the same height as Leonardo diCaprio. Leo was HUGE in his hey day. But, he was highly regarded as a young actor prior to his teen obsessed fans took over after Titanic came out.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 7:26 pm

They're popular, but I don't think they've reached the same height as Leonardo diCaprio. Leo was HUGE in his hey day. But, he was highly regarded as a young actor prior to his teen obsessed fans took over after Titanic came out.

I remember all the kid's magazines that Nick put out that I read around 1997 were like, Leo this, Leo that...Titanic had more general appeal for a wider fanbase, even if it was centered around people born in the mid-'80s from 1984 to 1986 who were preteens and young teens at the time. HSM was a TV movie.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/17/06 at 7:31 pm

I remember all the kid's magazines that Nick put out that I read around 1997 were like, Leo this, Leo that...Titanic had more general appeal for a wider fanbase, even if it was centered around people born in the mid-'80s from 1984 to 1986 who were preteens and young teens at the time. HSM was a TV movie.

Yeah, I think Zac Efron and Ashley Tisdale still have some way to go before they're gonna hit superstardom. I think Leo was 24 when he hit it big and Kate Winslet was a year younger, 23.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/17/06 at 7:35 pm

Yeah, I think Zac Efron and Ashley Tisdale still have some way to go before they're gonna hit superstardom. I think Leo was 24 when he hit it big and Kate Winslet was a year younger, 23.

It's ironic that neither of them lasted at the top-Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses, which is sad. It's like once you do something that big, it's impossible to top (like with Gone with the Wind and Vivian Leigh.) I honestly don't think either of them will become big screen superstars...people who start in cable TV movies just don't, and they're not going to rewrite the rules of the industry and its ridiculous patronage. They're probably the "Coreys" of the '00s, though...

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/17/06 at 7:43 pm

Good thing written words couldn't possibly describe my hatred for this movie... the forum would most likely explode and bleed on everyone.

Written By: Ashton on 07/17/06 at 8:48 pm

Ashley Tisdale is a cutie  :-*

...and only a year younger than I am  ;)

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/17/06 at 9:12 pm

Ashley Tisdale is a cutie  :-*

...and only a year younger than I am  ;)

'Ey, Woops, fancy meeting you here.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 2:11 pm

It's ironic that neither of them lasted at the top-Kate Winslet is one of my favorite actresses, which is sad. It's like once you do something that big, it's impossible to top (like with Gone with the Wind and Vivian Leigh.) I honestly don't think either of them will become big screen superstars...people who start in cable TV movies just don't, and they're not going to rewrite the rules of the industry and its ridiculous patronage. They're probably the "Coreys" of the '00s, though...

Kate Winslet I think has made some decent flicks since then. Leo's film career sort of faltered, but he has made some excellent role choices since after he did The Beach.

Written By: Satish on 07/18/06 at 2:47 pm

You think Leo hasn't had a successful career? He was in Gangs of New York and The Aviator, both Oscar-nominated masterpieces.

Written By: ultraviolet52 on 07/18/06 at 3:39 pm

On second note,
Vivien Leigh did not have as hot of a role as Gone with the Wind afterwards, but her Oscar winning performance in A Streetcar Named Desire, put her back on top.

Written By: woops on 07/18/06 at 3:43 pm

Wonder if Ashley Tisdale will sing a duet with Jesse McCartney 20 years from now and get over shadowed by some new trend

I'm sick of these young stars being typecasted.

Heck, Alanis was a teen pop singer too...  ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...