inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: National Guard in St. Louis

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/06 at 6:34 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060721/ap_on_re_us/heat_wave

I spoke to family yesterday who were saying that it's a lot worse than the news reports say.

To begin with there were over a million people without power and then as soon as part of the grid comes back on, another part goes off.

Let's hope this situation gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

I'm just glad I'm not there right now!

Subject: Re: National Guard in St. Louis

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/21/06 at 6:53 am

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060721/ap_on_re_us/heat_wave

I spoke to family yesterday who were saying that it's a lot worse than the news reports say.

To begin with there were over a million people without power and then as soon as part of the grid comes back on, another part goes off.

Let's hope this situation gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

I'm just glad I'm not there right now!

Davey,

What happened in STL?  i saw something real quick on the news about some really high winds.  Did they have a tornado or one of those "microburst" thingies? ???

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/06 at 8:15 am

Davey,

What happened in STL?  i saw something real quick on the news about some really high winds.  Did they have a tornado or one of those "microburst" thingies? ???

Bizare storm.

It destroyed the press boxes in Busch stadium, knocked out power to the vast majority of the city, took out several buildings and then the very next day the heatwave hit with humidity boosted temperatures of 110+.

I'd say a microburst. There were tornado warnings in effect, but there weren't any serious ones spotted.

Written By: Jessica on 07/21/06 at 8:25 am

I'd say a microburst. There were tornado warnings in effect, but there weren't any serious ones spotted.

Yeah, the news reports were saying it was just "high winds". I've never knows a wind to do that type of damage, though.

Written By: La Roche on 07/21/06 at 8:29 am

Yeah, the news reports were saying it was just "high winds". I've never knows a wind to do that type of damage, though.

Exactly.

This year has been the worst year for Tornado's there that anybody can remember.
We had at least a small one almost once a week, and a HUGE Twister came through in March (not exactly Tornado season, right.)

But as I say, and you've said, this was supposedly just high winds. To echo your sentiments, I've never known 'High winds' to rip the hell out of a whole city.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/21/06 at 9:20 am

Exactly.

This year has been the worst year for Tornado's there that anybody can remember.
We had at least a small one almost once a week, and a HUGE Twister came through in March (not exactly Tornado season, right.)

But as I say, and you've said, this was supposedly just high winds. To echo your sentiments, I've never known 'High winds' to rip the hell out of a whole city.

The news reports suggested really focused straight line winds, which was the reason Busch and parts of downtown got smacked around...sucks much :(

Check for new replies or respond here...