inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Everything Emo

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/22/06 at 1:37 am

Discuss everything relating to emo here, and nowhere else.

Subject: Re: Everything Emo

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 9:25 am

But I can't discuss it without crying and hurting myself and then writing bad poetry about it. ::)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 12:44 pm

Donnie...do you know what a search engine is for?  Honestly..this has to be like the 5th "emo" thread that has been created in the past few months. All you have to do is do a search for "emo", and for the most part, the threads that have already been started concerning this will pop up...and then you can continue your discussion in one of them.  This kind of stuff is what is pissing people off so much....we do not need 4+ EMO or hipster threads...they can be discussed all in one.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/22/06 at 1:19 pm

I may not be the smartest man in the world, but I believe that Donnie Darko made this particular thread for "EMO" talk only, so that we don't cluster the entire board with seperate EMO threads.  I suppose that would make this the "Official" EMO thread

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 1:21 pm

I may not be the smartest man in the world, but I believe that Donnie Darko made this particular thread for "EMO" talk only, so that we don't cluster the entire board with seperate EMO threads.  I suppose that would make this the "Official" EMO thread

what is different about this EMO thread then the other numerous EMO threads that were already started? ???

Written By: Chip Hipdale on 07/22/06 at 1:35 pm

There are already enough EMO threads in this board already, that only makes this one pointless.  You can't control the EMO threads with just one thread, when this board is already cluttered with them.  I can't even count how many EMO threads already exist

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/22/06 at 2:25 pm

what is different about this EMO thread then the other numerous EMO threads that were already started? ???

Maybe because the other EMO threads don't say "Post everything about "EMO" ONLY in this thread"....

They appear to be seperate topics about "EMO" and aren't just narrowed down to "Everything EMO"

Plus, like I said, he probably made this thread as the last one to stop people from posting numerous ones again and again from now on.  I mean he obviously wanted to start a new thread to get people's attention to it, instead of bumping up an older EMO thread and declaring it the "Official Everything EMO Thread" which some people might not even read.  Atleast this is my assumption

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:28 pm

Maybe because the other EMO threads don't say "Post everything about EMO ONLY in this thread"....

WOW. That totally changes things right there.

</end sarcasm>

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/22/06 at 2:31 pm

WOW. That totally changes things right there.

</end sarcasm>

Don't get snippy with me, you crazy yenta broad, I'm not the one who started the topic, this is just MY opinion on why he started this thread.

</end rant>

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:32 pm

Don't get snippy with me, you crazy yenta broad, I'm not the one who started the topic, this is just MY opinion on why he started this thread.

</end rant>

WTF is a yenta?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 2:33 pm

Maybe because the other EMO threads don't say "Post everything about "EMO" ONLY in this thread"....

They appear to be seperate topics about "EMO" and aren't just narrowed down to "Everything EMO"

Plus, like I said, he probably made this thread as the last one to stop people from posting numerous ones again and again from now on.  I mean he obviously wanted to start a new thread to get people's attention to it, instead of bumping up an older EMO thread and declaring it the "Official Everything EMO Thread" which some people might not even read.  Atleast this is my assumption

but it really doesn't get people's attention...because the majority have seen "Emo" or "hipster" as topics over and over again....and they probably just regard it as, "oh, there's yet ANOTHER thread about the same thing".  He actually could bump one of the old ones...and change the title to the "Official Everything EMO thread", that is, if he was the original starter of the thread....that way, there wouldn't be numerous threads of the same thing over and over again. Believe me, if someone came out and started a thread and titled it, "How do you feel today?"....you would see a lot of people speaking up and saying, "Wait, we already have a thread similar to that....it's called the "feel anyway July thread, etc"...ya know what I mean?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:39 pm

WTF is a yenta?

yen

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:40 pm

yen

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:41 pm

Hey Rice, can I call your mom a Yenta?  ;D

:P

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/06 at 2:45 pm

But what does that have to do with blueberry waffles?  ???

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:46 pm

EVERYTHING.  :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:46 pm

I didn't realize emo people ate...blueberry waffles.

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/06 at 2:47 pm

they don't.  emo people eat each other ;D :D

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 2:47 pm

yes...but with very little syrup!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:50 pm

yes...but with very little syrup!

That's a pretty sad waffle.

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:51 pm

they don't.  emo people eat each other ;D :D

And then they cry about it. :D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:51 pm

And then they cry about it. :D

For the pain is more than skin deep...

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 2:52 pm

That's a pretty sad waffle.

they've been known to drizzle sad faces with syrup on their waffles though...thus making a statement without saying a word.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 2:53 pm

Hmm...what do people think of the chances of an emo artist fielding a #1 rock hit? And what will take emo's place as it "transitions out"? How is emo currently transforming? Is it gaining or losing popularity?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:53 pm

they've been known to drizzle sad faces with syrup on their waffles though...thus making a statement without saying a word.

At least they are artistic.  I think Van Gogh wants his ear back though.

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 2:54 pm

At least they are artistic.  I think Van Gogh wants his ear back though.

true, true. ;)

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:55 pm

true, true. ;)

WAAAASAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAP!!!!  :D

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/06 at 2:55 pm

The word EMO sounds like some kind of evil beast, like an Evil Man Owl or something

"I was almost attacked by an EMO last night"

http://www.mymoviefest.com/members/uploads/1178.jpg

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!!!  THE EVIL MAN OWLS ARE COMING TO GET US!!!!

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:55 pm

Hmm...what do people think of the chances of an emo artist fielding a #1 rock hit? And what will take emo's place as it "transitions out"? How is emo currently transforming? Is it gaining or losing popularity?

I think it's fading. But I never liked the whole movement in the first place.

And I'd like to thank TheWalkMan for trying to insult me. Unfortunately, it didn't work, and I now have a new name. ;D

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 2:57 pm

The word EMO sounds like some kind of evil beast, like an Evil Man Owl or something

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!!!  THE EVIL MAN OWLS ARE COMING TO GET US!!!!

ZOMFG h0ly $h!+!!!!11!!one!!!11  Not the EMO!!!  SuXX0rz!!11!!1

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 2:57 pm

And I'd like to thank TheWalkMan for trying to insult me. Unfortunately, it didn't work, and I now have a new name. ;D

I'm digging the name change, Jessica! ;)

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 2:58 pm

The word EMO sounds like some kind of evil beast, like an Evil Man Owl or something ;D

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES !!!!!  THE EVIL MAN OWLS ARE COMING TO GET US!!!!

LMFAO! Now there is an original idea for Hollywood...."Night of the EMO". :o

I'm digging the name change, Jessica! ;)

Thanks! I rather like it myself! ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 3:07 pm

I love your new name, by the way...you remind me of my female antecedents...sitting around at a family gathering is like the yenta convention...

I think it's sort of dividing, a little bit. There's the "mainstreamo" fans on one hand, who like Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, but that music is arguably getting even too mainstream for them. And then, on the other hand, there's the "elitist emos" who blend in a little with the hipsters, and like Bright Eyes and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and the Postal Service. The mainstreaming of emo is what will kill it. Also, the post-grunge trend held up by Nickelback is on its last legs, and nu metal will be mostly dead by 2008. The aging of the mid-'80s born fanbase is the crucial point of this. You could sort of subdivide the "hip rock youth subcultures" like this:

-Emo (the aforementioned groups)...also includes some derivation of the "scenes."
-Hipster (listens to vaguely trendy emo and new wave revivalist)
-"Scene" indie rockers who like the Strokes.

Nu metal was never hip, except for maybe two seconds in 1998 when Korn came out. Has anybody else here noticed that there are alot of "love-hate" rock trends (corporate rock inc. arena and hair metal, grunge, nu metal and post-grunge, emo) since 1980, moreso than before?

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 3:11 pm

oh, just for a reference...here is a list of the topics concerning "EMO" that I found...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,20197.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18204.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,15914.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18946.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19106.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19097.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19091.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18956.0.html

couldn't those all be combined into one?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 3:11 pm

^ Bored much?  :)

Written By: quirky_cat_girl on 07/22/06 at 3:12 pm

yes...entirely! ;)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 3:14 pm

Hmm, what're people's thoughts on my post?

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 3:14 pm

Hmm, what're people's thoughts on my post?

I honestly know nothing of emo or nu metal or whatever simply because I don't listen to it...haven't really paid attention to music since, like 1995.  But to each their own :)

Written By: whistledog on 07/22/06 at 3:54 pm

oh, just for a reference...here is a list of the topics concerning "EMO" that I found...

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,20197.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18204.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,15914.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18946.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19106.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19097.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,19091.0.html

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php/topic,18956.0.html

couldn't those all be combined into one?

That's like just 1 days worth of EMO topics ;D

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/22/06 at 3:57 pm

You guys are just being hostile now. I made this thread to stop my postwhoring, not to add to it. You guys aren't against my threads, you're against me. If I had better things to do I would have deleted my account by now  :\'(

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 4:03 pm

So, like, if Donnie keeps the emo stuff in this thread, will y'all stop bugging him?  I'm sure one emo thread is enough now :)

Written By: Alvin Chipmunk on 07/22/06 at 4:17 pm

I made this thread to stop my postwhoring

That should be your catch phrase.  You've said it so many times before

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 4:57 pm

Okay, hmm...let's discuss my post and send this thread on the right track. It's not worth bumping ancient threads if this one will stop repetitive emo topics, honestly. Nobody get their panties in a knot over it.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 5:21 pm

Okay, hmm...let's discuss my post and send this thread on the right track. It's not worth bumping ancient threads if this one will stop repetitive emo topics, honestly. Nobody get their panties in a knot over it.

Would you begin by explaining what "emo" and "nu metal" are?

Written By: Alvin Chipmunk on 07/22/06 at 5:28 pm

Honestly, what is there to talk about anyway?  You guys have discussed it to death.  Wait a minute, how dumb of me not to realize that you've only discussed it once.  You have to discuss the same topics atleast 4 or 5 times  ::)

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 5:31 pm

Honestly, what is there to talk about anyway?  You guys have discussed it to death.  Wait a minute, how dumb of me not to realize that you've only discussed it once.  You have to discuss the same topics atleast 4 or 5 times  ::)

Are you a guest? That just answered the question I was about to ask.

Written By: Satish on 07/22/06 at 7:00 pm

Do pop-punk bands like Blink 182, Sum 41 and A Simple Plan count as emo?  ???

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 07/22/06 at 7:04 pm

HO! Donnie's been owned by a guest.

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 7:42 pm

I love your new name, by the way...you remind me of my female antecedents...sitting around at a family gathering is like the yenta convention...

I think it's sort of dividing, a little bit. There's the "mainstreamo" fans on one hand, who like Taking Back Sunday and Dashboard Confessional, but that music is arguably getting even too mainstream for them. And then, on the other hand, there's the "elitist emos" who blend in a little with the hipsters, and like Bright Eyes and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah and the Postal Service. The mainstreaming of emo is what will kill it. Also, the post-grunge trend held up by Nickelback is on its last legs, and nu metal will be mostly dead by 2008. The aging of the mid-'80s born fanbase is the crucial point of this. You could sort of subdivide the "hip rock youth subcultures" like this:

-Emo (the aforementioned groups)...also includes some derivation of the "scenes."
-Hipster (listens to vaguely trendy emo and new wave revivalist)
-"Scene" indie rockers who like the Strokes.

Nu metal was never hip, except for maybe two seconds in 1998 when Korn came out. Has anybody else here noticed that there are alot of "love-hate" rock trends (corporate rock inc. arena and hair metal, grunge, nu metal and post-grunge, emo) since 1980, moreso than before?

I agree with you. Certain Emo bands are becoming too popular for even the EMO crowd and like every other genre, trend, what have you, it will die a lovely death. That's not to say there won't be people hanging on. But it will die and I won't have to see these dorky teenage boys running around in more makeup than even *I* wear. ;D

You guys are just being hostile now. I made this thread to stop my postwhoring, not to add to it. You guys aren't against my threads, you're against me. If I had better things to do I would have deleted my account by now  :\'(

Please. You whine more than my 17 month old. Even if you did delete your account, you'd be back in a month doing the same d*mned thing. So suck it up and deal.

Ah, a member who is too chickensh*t to sign in and say it under their real name. Grow some balls, man!

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 7:50 pm

I agree with you. Certain Emo bands are becoming too popular for even the EMO crowd and like every other genre, trend, what have you, it will die a lovely death. That's not to say there won't be people hanging on. But it will die and I won't have to see these dorky teenage boys running around in more makeup than even *I* wear. ;D

Please. You whine more than my 17 month old. Even if you did delete your account, you'd be back in a month doing the same d*mned thing. So suck it up and deal.

Ah, a member who is too chickensh*t to sign in and say it under their real name. Grow some balls, man!

Grunge began dying when frat boys and "jocks" started playing Pearl Jam at their parties, and everyone realized it had become too corporate to count as true alternative rock anymore. So, essentially, the fans grew up to the point that they were too old to change their tastes and the "hip" crowd began to be drawn away by other music like Pavement. The same thing with new wave...arguably, the overexposure of Duran Duran and other groups by MTV defeated the edginess of it.

Thank god...most of them are my age. It won't carry on to my high school reunion  ;D. The whole trend is "wannabe new waver." I think you should respect and reference something when it passes...not emulate it and kill it. While I'm an '80s admirer, there should be something other than cultural nostalgia to look back to. Emo is so backlashed that even half of emos won't admit it. Or deny that it exists, etc.

Yeah, if you're a member and you have something to say...just say it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 8:07 pm

Would you begin by explaining what "emo" and "nu metal" are?

Nu metal-Nu metal is a style of commercially popular metal music, popular mostly between 1998 and 2003. It combines rap with grunge-influenced metal. Some groups are Staind, Korn, Limp Bizkit, System of a Down, Linkin Park.

Written By: Donnie Darko on 07/22/06 at 8:18 pm

At least you're honest. Jessica you may not like me, but I appreciate how real you are.  :)

Nu metal is the grey zone between grunge, emo and hip hop.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 8:46 pm

At least you're honest. Jessica you may not like me, but I appreciate how real you are.  :)

I honestly don't think any popular rock genre since 1980 other than grunge has been narrowly definable. New wave is a "style" and a massive, diverse genre that ranges from rock like XTC to super-electrics like Gary Numan to pop like Duran Duran and Wham! Nu metal is any mainstream rock popular between late 1998 and mid 2003 (the same applies to post-grunge), that isn't pop-punk. Emo is whiny '00s rock, most of which is '80s influenced to one degree or another. Grunge was under 10 bands that worked in a definable style, though it's not like they were clones of each other or anything.

Does anybody else agree post-grunge is to the '00s what alot of corporate rock was to the '80s? Like it's a heavily corporatized, but still popular (i.e. Starship) genre without much of a youth fanbase.

Actually, I think that what unifies all new wave/post-punk groups is being the "new wave" of rock following punk, that is not punk. Most new wave bands were formed 1977-1982 or so, in the "wake of punk", and were part of a flourishing of new ideas and creativity in rock songwriting, and unconventionality, created by the revolution of punk. "Alternative rock/college rock" is a style popularized on American college campuses in the 1980s and early 1990s, working off of the noise rock experiments of bands like Sonic Youth, the "acoustic, stripped-down" post-punk art wave of R.E.M., and a volley of other influences, primarily from the '60s and '70s, particularly folk-rock, concept rock, and punk, and even the artsier new wave that didn't rely on synths, like the Smiths. "Emo/hipster rock" is a style originating from about 1997 and popularized in the '00s. It grows out of various alternative rock influences, like the "nerd rock" and pop-punk of the '90s, and out of new wave and post-punk, but it is heavily stylish and effeminate, while being highly emotional. All sort of succeeded one another, arguably. New wave/post-punk was around from 1977-1990, alternative (in its non-corporate form) from about 1984-1999, and emo/hipster rock from 1996-2011 (?)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/06 at 9:44 pm

Do pop-punk bands like Blink 182, Sum 41 and A Simple Plan count as emo?  ???

They are what emo comes from, but emo is a little different.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 9:46 pm

They are what emo comes from, but emo is a little different.

Emo is a wider genre. They were the antecedents to pop-emo, though.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/06 at 9:49 pm

Emo is a wider genre. They were the antecedents to pop-emo, though.

I'm still kind of torn on Good Charlotte and Simple Plan. Do you they're emo?

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/22/06 at 9:50 pm

Hmm...I think they're the emofied successor to pop-punk like Blink 182. It's like teenybopper emo.

Written By: Jessica on 07/22/06 at 10:23 pm

It's not even a matter of dislike. You just get annoying. Tone down the threads on decadeology and you'll be fine. I'm sure you can find other things to discuss. Like what are your hobbies, are you serial killer material...stuff like that. ;D

Written By: divine_intervention on 07/23/06 at 12:11 pm

Good Charlotte and Simple Plan aren't technically emo. They're classified as "pop punk". Emo is more whinier sounding and mainly about losing your girlfriend and crying about it. A lot of bands get classified as emo. There are way too many terms used to describe certain types of music. Like now certain bands instead of calling themselves emo they call themselves screamo, hardcore, etc. It's the latest trend apparently.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/06 at 1:22 pm

I honestly don't think any popular rock genre since 1980 other than grunge has been narrowly definable. New wave is a "style" and a massive, diverse genre that ranges from rock like XTC to super-electrics like Gary Numan to pop like Duran Duran and Wham! Nu metal is any mainstream rock popular between late 1998 and mid 2003 (the same applies to post-grunge), that isn't pop-punk. Emo is whiny '00s rock, most of which is '80s influenced to one degree or another. Grunge was under 10 bands that worked in a definable style, though it's not like they were clones of each other or anything.

Does anybody else agree post-grunge is to the '00s what alot of corporate rock was to the '80s? Like it's a heavily corporatized, but still popular (i.e. Starship) genre without much of a youth fanbase.

Yeah, Grunge was, like Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, STP and Alice in Chains, and even though it all had a distinct sound, I don't think I ever confused one of their songs for that of one of the other bands.

Nu metal and post grunge are often considered the same thing, but I think nu metal is more on the rap/rock side (Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Korn - very 1998-2001ish stuff), whereas post grunge is just slushy sounding, corporate '00s rock like Nickelback or Incubus (although I haven't heard much from them in a few years).

I never thought about post grunge being the '00s version of Starship/corporate '80s arena rock, but you might have a point. I do think both are/were sort of a love it or hate it genre. The fanbase for corporate rock was probably more like 16-35, as opposed to, say Duran Duran. Nickelback seems to have more older fans, too.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/06 at 1:25 pm

BTW, I think Jimmy Eat World was sorta the first popular emo band, though they had more mainstream alt rock/pop-rock roots. So you could say "Emo" started in mid-2002 (that's when I first heard "The Middle").

Written By: divine_intervention on 07/23/06 at 5:49 pm

BTW, I think Jimmy Eat World was sorta the first popular emo band, though they had more mainstream alt rock/pop-rock roots. So you could say "Emo" started in mid-2002 (that's when I first heard "The Middle").

Yeah, I believe they were too. Shortly followed by Taking Back Sunday and now emo has become this big thing. Sad really.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/06 at 5:55 pm

Yeah, I believe they were too. Shortly followed by Taking Back Sunday and now emo has become this big thing. Sad really.

Yeah, do you think its being so big and mainstream is what'll ultimately kill it? Sort of how grunge did, or even bands like Metallica (i.e. when their earlier headbanging fans hated how they "sold out" and became popular to, say soccer moms or their little sister).

Written By: divine_intervention on 07/23/06 at 6:03 pm

Yeah, do you think its being so big and mainstream is what'll ultimately kill it? Sort of how grunge did, or even bands like Metallica (i.e. when their earlier headbanging fans hated how they "sold out" and became popular to, say soccer moms or their little sister).

Yes. Emo is no longer what it's supposed to be. It's gotten transformed into the whole "my girlfriend dumped me, I'm going to go kill myself now" thing. Mainstream kills the best of things. Eventually emo will die out and life as we know it will go back to semi-normal, until the next big "trend" hits.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/23/06 at 8:07 pm

Yes. Emo is no longer what it's supposed to be. It's gotten transformed into the whole "my girlfriend dumped me, I'm going to go kill myself now" thing. Mainstream kills the best of things. Eventually emo will die out and life as we know it will go back to semi-normal, until the next big "trend" hits.

Yeah. Since most rock trends seem to do ballads or even poppier stuff towards the end of their run (i.e. hair metal's power ballads circa 1990), I bet that's what'll happen. Can you imagine emo ballads? By nature, they'll probably be even more emo, if that's possible. ;D

P.S. Now that I think about it, "Swing Swing" by the All American Rejects is probably the most "emo" song ever, just in the way the guy was singing (although the video was kinda cool).

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/23/06 at 8:20 pm

Ok I think I get what emo music is now.  I just refer to it as "whiny rock"    I still don't understand the emo "look."  It's like someone takes a picture of him/herself pouting and says "this is my emo face"    ???

Written By: Brian06 on 07/23/06 at 8:27 pm

Yeah. Since most rock trends seem to do ballads or even poppier stuff towards the end of their run (i.e. hair metal's power ballads circa 1990). I bet that's what'll happen (Emo ballads by nature, will probably be even more emo ;D, if that's possible).

P.S. Now that I think about it, "Swing Swing" by the All American Rejects is probably the most "emo" song ever, just in the way the guy was singing (although the video was kinda cool).

lol yes that one's very emo.

Written By: divine_intervention on 07/23/06 at 11:06 pm

Yeah. Since most rock trends seem to do ballads or even poppier stuff towards the end of their run (i.e. hair metal's power ballads circa 1990), I bet that's what'll happen. Can you imagine emo ballads? By nature, they'll probably be even more emo, if that's possible. ;D

Yeah, that is one of the more emo songs I've heard, but I think "Note to Self" by From First to Last is pretty emo as well.

Ok I think I get what emo music is now.  I just refer to it as "whiny rock"    I still don't understand the emo "look."  It's like someone takes a picture of him/herself pouting and says "this is my emo face"     ???

Eh, those are just the little kids trying to be in with the fad. You see a lot of it on Myspace. Those are the people you refer to as the "scene kids". They kind of follow whatever trend is around and are just posers. There are some exceptions to that. Some scene kids are pretty cool.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/25/06 at 5:04 pm

I am still confused.

I have seen Emo Philips many times, including on UHF.  And this is leaving me totally confused.

What is all this about Poetry and Music all about?  I knew he was an odd-ball stand-up comedian, but I never realized he did poetry and music.

Written By: QueenAmenRa on 07/25/06 at 7:31 pm

I am still confused.

I have seen Emo Philips many times, including on UHF.  And this is leaving me totally confused.

What is all this about Poetry and Music all about?  I knew he was an odd-ball stand-up comedian, but I never realized he did poetry and music.

lol    Just call me mr. butterfingers

Written By: Satish on 07/26/06 at 7:35 am

New wave is a "style" and a massive, diverse genre that ranges from rock like XTC to super-electrics like Gary Numan to pop like Duran Duran and Wham!

I don't think Wham! can be called a "new wave" band. I've never heard them classified as such. Wham! isn't on this Wikipedia list of new wave artists, anyway:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_New_Wave_bands_and_artists

I can see how you might think they were, though. It's kind of funny that Duran Duran and Culture Club are considered new wave, but not Wham!, since all three groups had similar images and appealed to largely the same fans.

And looking at that Wikipedia list, I think it's odd that I see Crowded House on it. I've never thought of them as "new wave" before.  ???

But then, as you said, it just shows what a sketchy, subjective genre new wave is.

Written By: Mushroom on 07/26/06 at 9:25 am

I don't think Wham! can be called a "new wave" band. I've never heard them classified as such. Wham! isn't on this Wikipedia list of new wave artists, anyway:

New Wave is more of a concept or state of mind then an easy to pin down music style.  It covered such groups as The Busboys and Duran-Duran both.

Believe me, Wham! was New Wave.  Songs like Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go are classic New Wave sound.  Of course, they also showed they were more then just another New Wave band with songs like Careless Whispers.

From 1983-1985 I worked in the largest teen Dance Club in the San Fernando Valley.  Since this was the home grounds of both "Valley Girls" and the Los Angeles New Wave movements, I got a good feel for what was New Wave, and what was not.  And it was not about what you wore, or what you looked like.  It was all about sound and style.

And like always, there is a lot of cross-over between New Wave and other forms of music.  David BOwie recorded rock, but also was considered by many to be a performer of "New Wave". 

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/26/06 at 9:29 am

New Wave is more of a concept or state of mind then an easy to pin down music style.  It covered such groups as The Busboys and Duran-Duran both.

Believe me, Wham! was New Wave.  Songs like Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go are classic New Wave sound.  Of course, they also showed they were more then just another New Wave band with songs like Careless Whispers.

From 1983-1985 I worked in the largest teen Dance Club in the San Fernando Valley.  Since this was the home grounds of both "Valley Girls" and the Los Angeles New Wave movements, I got a good feel for what was New Wave, and what was not.  And it was not about what you wore, or what you looked like.  It was all about sound and style.

And like always, there is a lot of cross-over between New Wave and other forms of music.  David BOwie recorded rock, but also was considered by many to be a performer of "New Wave". 

dude that's nuts. WHAM! were never  New Wave - they made excellent POP records.
A good example of the NewWave style is GARY NUMAN.

Written By: Mark Leech on 07/26/06 at 1:18 pm

Wham New Wave??  Do me a favour...... They were pop (and cheesy pop at that).  New Wave only lasted until about 1982.

As for Gary Numan, his stuff is filed under Electro Pop.  A better example of New Wave would be the likes of The Jags, Elvis Costello and XTC amongst others.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 07/26/06 at 1:23 pm

Wham New Wave??  Do me a favour...... They were pop (and cheesy pop at that).  New Wave only lasted until about 1982.

As for Gary Numan, his stuff is filed under Electro Pop.  A better example of New Wave would be the likes of The Jags, Elvis Costello and XTC amongst others.

'I've got your number written on the back of my hand'    ;)

Written By: Mushroom on 07/26/06 at 3:08 pm

So tell me then, what is "New Wave"?

It is kinda like saying "What is Motown?" or "What is Disco?".  It is not locked in stone around a certain short period of time, nor around only a certain number of groups.

Is Parlaiment Disco?  Or are they Motown?  Of course most of us know of them as Funk, but they started as a traditional "Motown sound" R&B group.  Their later success in funk helped found the sound that became known as Disco.  And even Michael Jackson (who started as part of a Motown group) did several songs that are attributed as "Disco".

The same goes for "Punk".  Was KISS punk?  How about The Beatles?  Is ? & the Mysterians punk?  Most people do not realize that Blondie, Talking Heads, and Adam & The Ants all started as "Punk acts".  And we have already established that Adam & The Ants are "New Wave".  SO imagine that, a crossover.

Listen to "Wake Me Up Before Your Go-Go", then compare it to most New Wave songs of the era.  Walking On Sunshine by Katrina & The Waves, Goodie Two Shoes by Adam Ant, even Vacation by the Go-Go's.  Watch the music videos and the clothes they wore.  Wham! closely followed most of the New Wave styles, including the look of the official posters released, album covers, even the clothes worn.  And their pop hits were clearly in the style of what most consider to be "New Wave".

Like I said, New Wave is not set in stone.  It is all about attitude, style, and sound.

Or as Tower of Power put it once in a song:

What is hip?
Ahhhhhhhhh!
What is hip?
I'd like to know!
What is hip?
Is it in the style of your hair?
What is hip?
Is it in the clothes that you wear?
What is hip?
I'd like to know.
What is hip?
I'd like to know.

Check for new replies or respond here...