inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Miami Vice: The Movie

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/22/06 at 10:26 pm

I might be going to see it in theatres, can't be any worse than Dukes of Hazzard: The Movie.

Or can it?

Subject: Re: Miami Vice: The Movie

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 10:30 pm

Wait for DVD maybe :D

Written By: Davester on 07/22/06 at 10:34 pm

I'm curious about this though every fiber of my being tells me to be cautious...

Hmmm, directed by Mike Mann, himself.  Loved "The Insider"...loooooved it..! 8)

Colin Farrell as Crockett - I'll buy that...

Jamie Foxx as Tubbs - Jury's out...

Written By: Tia on 07/22/06 at 10:52 pm

the original was way overrated, so i'm not sure how the remake's gonna be any better. plus we need to rise up and start expressing our rage over the remake thing generally. it's COMPLETELY out of control!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 10:56 pm

What if they re-made other stuff, like Knight Rider or Airwolf or the Karate Kid?

Written By: Tia on 07/22/06 at 11:00 pm

my philosophical objection to remakes: there's really only two ways they can go.

a. the original was awesome, in which case the remake doesn't do it justice and you think of it as a blasphemy.
b. the original blew, in which case you wonder what the hell they were thinking not just letting it die.

in the case of miami vice, i'ma have to go with b.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 07/22/06 at 11:04 pm

The little known third option is that while the original sucked, the remake kicked all kinds of booty.  I use "The Punisher (2004)" as exhibit A :)

But see, if they remade Karate Kid, I would go see it just to find out what the casting directors did...imagine a heavily made-up Gedde Watanabe as Miyagi and little Jake Gyllenhaal as Daniel-san!  :o

Written By: Satish on 07/23/06 at 7:15 am

the original was way overrated, so i'm not sure how the remake's gonna be any better. plus we need to rise up and start expressing our rage over the remake thing generally. it's COMPLETELY out of control!

I think you might be alone on that. Most people consider "Miami Vice" to be one of the finest crime dramas in the history of television. And I'm wondering, does your rage against re-makes extend to the Mission: Impossible movie franchise?

I don't have a problem with re-makes. What's wrong with putting a new spin on something? You might as well consider stuff like Superman and Batman to be "re-makes" of the comic books and The Da Vinci Code to be a "re-make" of the novel.

What if they re-made other stuff, like Knight Rider or Airwolf or the Karate Kid?

Actually, I heard that a feature film based on "The A-Team" was in the works.

Written By: star500 on 07/23/06 at 12:07 pm

I think you might be alone on that. Most people consider "Miami Vice" to be one of the finest crime dramas in the history of television. And I'm wondering, does your rage against re-makes extend to the Mission: Impossible movie franchise?

I don't have a problem with re-makes. What's wrong with putting a new spin on something? You might as well consider stuff like Superman and Batman to be "re-makes" of the comic books and The Da Vinci Code to be a "re-make" of the novel.

Actually, I heard that a feature film based on "The A-Team" was in the works.

I totally agree with you. Poeple always dissing re-makes is completely getting out of control as far as I am concerned. There is nothing wrong with remakes. I admit, some movies like Adventures in Babysitting do not need to be re-made, but as far as TV shows and old movies, I think it's great that they are giving an old story a new spin. Personally, I think there are a few classic movies that do not need to be re-made but for the most part, remakes are necessary. So everyone--STOP COMPLAINING ABOUT RE-MAKES!

Written By: Tia on 07/23/06 at 12:11 pm

they'd be okay in moderation but if everything's a remake, it's because the studios are out of ideas, they're cynically trading in known money-making commodities so as to minimize the risk of posting a loss, and audiences are being played for fools. it's a pretty sorry state of affairs when the nation's creative minds become risk-averse because risk is supposed to be synonymous with creativity.

Written By: whistledog on 07/23/06 at 1:28 pm

I am looking forward to it.  There ain't no way the movie will even come close to matching the TV series, but the best thing to do is look past that and just think of it as an original movie

I did that with Dukes of Hazzard and I loved it 8)

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/24/06 at 7:03 am

I didn't realize there was a Miami Vice movie, there's been so little marketing and hype for this film. 

Written By: star500 on 07/24/06 at 10:21 am

I didn't realize there was a Miami Vice movie, there's been so little marketing and hype for this film. 

Are you kidding me?! Here in Canada, everytime I turn around there is an ad for Miami Vice. Every movie I've been to see since January has had at least one ad for Miami Vice on it. I'm actually sick of the movie and I haven't even seen it yet, LOL. ;D

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/24/06 at 9:33 pm

Last Saturday, they aired the original pilot of the show on NBC, complete with behind the scenes footage and trailers for the film.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/24/06 at 9:39 pm

Now, when are they gonna make the "Magnum P.I. movie," and the "Simon & Simon" movie,  and the "Hart to Hart" movie....

....The MacMillan and Wife movie, c'mon Rock Hudson fans, you know who you are...who's the best Rock Hudson look alike on the scene nowadays?
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 07/25/06 at 5:33 am

Last Saturday, they aired the original pilot of the show on NBC, complete with behind the scenes footage and trailers for the film.

That would have been SO COOL to see that on NBC again, I can't believe I missed that.  Every once in a while the big 3 networks should air some of those old 80s shows again. 

Written By: Chasey on 07/25/06 at 4:01 pm

Vice was one of the coolest, hippest and colourful Cop shows ever made. Yes it had a little bit of cheese, but just the right amount to accompany what was for the time, quite a dramatic show where people actually got shot and killed.

It had scantily-clad girls, top cars, top boats, big guns and designer clothes. Mind candy, but not as brainless as the A Team for example. MV was a serious cop show.

Do I want to see the new movie? No, sorry.

In my opinion, Mann deserves a slap in the chops with a wet fish for essentially stripping a well loved formula in my opinion just because 'he's not into nostalgia at all'.

"There will be no pastel suits, it will be set in the 00's, and hardly any of it was shot in Miami".

Oh, great. Sounds like just another yawnsome cop show to file under 'should and could have been MUCH better'.

I think I'll order my MV season 2 DVD boxed set, and in the meantime try to figure out the logic of Mr Mann's decision.

If it works, don't break it - Starsky & Hutch wasn't changed, and it kept it's original 70's feel much to my relief.

Shame the same logic was not applied to Miami Vice, especially since it was voted as one of the coolest shows of all time:

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/...

Written By: Chasey on 07/25/06 at 4:11 pm

Anyway, nuts to Mann and his sucky modern movie....I'm looking forward to the new Vice SEASON 2 DVD from 1985-86 which has just been released!!

Check out the trailer 8)

http://www.universal-playback.com/miamiviceseason2/

Written By: whistledog on 07/25/06 at 4:16 pm

"There will be no pastel suits, it will be set in the 00's, and hardly any of it was shot in Miami".

I will miss the Pastel suits.  That was one of the best parts of the show.  Mann probably thinks that the 80s doesn't sit too well with today's youth, so a modern day movie will do better.  Box office numbers might be good, but quality won't be 

Written By: Chasey on 07/25/06 at 4:30 pm

I will miss the Pastel suits.  That was one of the best parts of the show.  Mann probably thinks that the 80s doesn't sit too well with today's youth, so a modern day movie will do better.  Box office numbers might be good, but quality won't be 

Mann just doesn't like nostalgia, full-stop.  So his decision is final.....

Like Starsky And Hutch, Miami Vice fans were deserving of a full-length feature movie set in the time it was best remembered.  And this is how he repays us - by replacing the entertaining 80's series with just another serious-assed cop movie devoid of anything interesting (and I quote several movie reviews).

Yeah, thanks Mr Mann... >:(

Written By: JamieMcBain on 07/25/06 at 7:59 pm

Here's a clip of the show, it's one of my favorites....

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Tnyp9tRXRo&search=miami%20vice

Written By: gmann on 07/25/06 at 11:47 pm

That would have been SO COOL to see that on NBC again, I can't believe I missed that.  Every once in a while the big 3 networks should air some of those old 80s shows again. 

I saw the rerun. It was probably first time I'd seen Crocket and Tubbs together on-screen since...well, when *did* the show leave the airwaves, anyway?  :) My older sister and I used to watch MV every week, so seeing the pilot was like stepping back in time. BTW, I didn't realize that Jimmy Smits got blown away in the first episode. I must have missed that the first time around. On the downside, the appearance of Rockwell's "Somebody's Watching Me" in the show has kept the song running on a loop in my head since last Saturday. Arggh!

Written By: Chasey on 07/26/06 at 3:07 am

Only very recently, Sky Digital showed the entire MV series on the 'Men and Motors' channel, along with Magnum PI.  Great stuff! ;)

Written By: lorac61469 on 07/27/06 at 11:03 am

Never like the show so I won't be going to see it. 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/28/06 at 8:57 pm

Never like the show so I won't be going to see it. 

There's this guy who works in an office down the hall from me who has that Don Johnson hair-do! I dunno if he's just being retro, or if he really did get stuck in1986!
Anyway, he's an osteopath, not a hairstylist!

Written By: Tia on 07/29/06 at 9:50 pm

after all that, i saw it today and thought it was pretty cool. not a whole lot of action though. more plot twists and undercover intrigue. and hot cars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/06 at 6:16 am

The Miami Vice film has knocked the Pirates of the Caribbean sequel off the top of the North American box office chart, according to studio estimates.

The Michael Mann thriller earned $25.2m (

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/01/06 at 11:15 pm

I LOVE MIAMI VICE, so I'll be seeing it ASAP. But in all fairness, cutting-edge 80's fashion was just the attention-getters for the series. Basically fans came for the style and stayed for the substance. Now, in the movie, you have the city of Miami, you have the main characters (Crockett & Tubbs), and you have Michael Mann telling the story. If that's not the heart & soul of Miami Vice, I don't know what is! And for anyone complaining about no 80's music(I'm a tad disappointed too.), There is one cover of an 80's classic in the soundtrack, maybe even more. So, let's try to see the film on its merits, shall we?

BTW Jamie, What's this 'Black Mercedes' in the clip's title? Sonny drives a Ferrari!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/02/06 at 9:52 am

Good question.

Written By: Chasey on 08/06/06 at 3:05 pm

Oh dear....looks like the verdict is in: it sucks!

http://entertainment.msn.co.uk/films/features/miami%5Fvice%5Freview/

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/06/06 at 3:55 pm

Oh dear....looks like the verdict is in: it sucks!

I will not begoing then.

Written By: Doc Brown on 08/08/06 at 11:02 pm

Aw, come on! I saw the movie over the weekend and it was terrific! Clearly the person who said it s--ks was holdong out to have Johnson & Thomas in it. Plenty of action, a few laughs, and all the intense emotion Mann & Yerkovich could pack in, just like the series. And I must say, Farrell & Foxx did a great job.
Ignore the purists and critics, see it yourself and YOU decide!

Your Pal,
Doc

8)

Written By: Davester on 08/09/06 at 12:23 am

I'll check it out when it hits the bargain bin at WallyWorld groove ;) on...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/06 at 11:33 am

I'll check it out when it hits the bargain bin at WallyWorld groove ;) on...
Why not just release a DVD of the TV series?

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/14/06 at 5:37 pm

Saw it over weekend, and was blown away as to how good the film was.

Coming from a fan of the original series, it might be say something.

Written By: Davester on 08/15/06 at 8:21 am

Why not just release a DVD of the TV series?

There is a DVD release...

Might be up to season two, by now.  I'll have to check...

Considering buying these groove ;) on...

Written By: NbC on 08/15/06 at 11:13 pm

I didn't mind the movie but the dialogue was hard for me to follow.  Maybe it is just me.  The movie just seemed to go on forever.

Check for new replies or respond here...