inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Top 40 on the Uprising - Best Music In Years

Written By: Derek06 on 07/28/06 at 9:21 pm

http://www.edisonresearch.com/home/archives/2006/07/what_is_top_40_1.php

Entry by Sean Ross

As recently as April, I was reluctant to acknowledge a turnaround in the quality of Mainstream Top 40's available product. There was a "Hips Don't Lie" here, a "S.O.S." there. But there was little uptempo pop/rock product beyond the usual teen punk. And there was also a preponderance of ballads, including several of the wimpiest AC crossovers in a long time. Top 40 was continuing its three-year journey away from Hip-Hop, but that didn't mean it was finding anything compelling to replace it with.

Then Gnarls Barkley became a U.S. hit, the superstar releases started to roll out and 2006 began shaping up as the best Top 40 summer in nearly a decade. If it's not quite the CHR-dominated summer of 1984 ("When Doves Cry," "What's Love Got To Do With It," "Time After Time," "Legs," "The Reflex," "Dancing In The Dark"), it's certainly the best summer for tempo and variety since 1997 ("I'll Be Missing You," "Semi-Charmed Life," "Men In Black," "I Want You," "Mo' Money Mo' Problems," "Quit Playing Games ," "How Bizarre").

Best of all, instead of witnessing a retreat into pop balladry, the summer of 2006 bears another watermark of other great periods for Top 40: more songs that find the common ground between R&B and Rock, whether it's Gnarls Barkley or Nelly Furtado. And if Gym Class Heroes have a hit-and starting with KIIS-FM L.A. is a pretty good indicator-we have our first Hip-Hop/emo (!) hybrid! And as with the Romantics and Stray Cats in 1983, there's also music from Beyonce' and Christina Aguilera that manages to be retro and contemporary at the same time.

And now the discussion must turn to, "How can Top 40 take advantage of all this mass-appeal uptempo product?"

For starters, every GM, PD and marketing director in the format should be giving some consideration to trying to be on TV this summer. If you have any sustaining belief in the power of television advertising (and the TV-driven success of Bob-FM, Jack-FM and friends should have restored it), it's time to be in front of potential converts reminding them that Christina Aguilera, Beyonce', Shakira, Jessica Simpson, Justin Timberlake and Janet have current product, and making sure they know who Rihanna, Nelly Furtado, and Gnarls Barkley are. And in the summer, Top 40 has its best chance of having the medium to itself, something that also benefited the early Adult Hits outlets.

There should also be some thought given to quarter-year maintenance. Summer has historically been a good book for Top 40. Fall has not. With so much all-ages product currently available, PDs should give some thought to contesting that starts before Labor Day and carries adult listeners into the fall. (Or, for that matter, follows teens away from their summer jobs and back to their rooms, where they can go back to more solitary methods of finding their music.)

Finally, with so many places to hear old music in any given market these days, Top 40 needs to reestablish itself as the place to hear new music-particularly when there's much new music worth hearing. Cumulus/Atlanta OM Rob Roberts, then the PD of WHYI (Y100) Miami, remarked in the late '90s that you could tell when the current product was good because it was more compelling than any gold-based holiday-weekend feature. Five years ago, that wasn't the case. But having heard a July 4th weekend full of retro product, one can confidently say now that the new music is better than "Ice Ice Baby." (And wasn't it scary when it wasn't?)

I agree with this being one of the best summer, music wise.  What do you guys think?

Subject: Re: Top 40 on the Uprising - Best Music In Years

Written By: Brian06 on 07/28/06 at 10:52 pm

Yeah I agree this summer overall has been a great time for music.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/28/06 at 11:23 pm

Pop is definitely making a comeback.

Written By: Popster on 07/29/06 at 12:23 am

No sir, it wasn't a good year for music

And I'm still in the "youth crowd"  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/29/06 at 2:01 am

No sir, it wasn't a good year for music

And I'm still in the "youth crowd"  ::)

With Promiscuous, Deja Vu, Crazy it has been one awesome summer for music.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/06 at 2:19 am

What I like best this year is the major absense of rap and hip hop from our Canadian Top 40.

There have been some great songs this year from artists like Gnarls Barkley, James Blunt, and Rihanna, and from some homegrown artists like Daniel Powter, Nelly Furtado, Bedouin Soundclash and Mobile

Written By: Brian06 on 07/29/06 at 2:20 am

What I like best this year is the major absense of rap and hip hop from our Canadian Top 40.

There have been some great songs this year from artists like Gnarls Barkley, James Blunt, and Rihanna, and from some homegrown artists like Daniel Powter, Nelly Furtado, Bedouin Soundclash and Mobile

I agree there have been many good songs this year.

Written By: WalkerP20 on 07/29/06 at 7:25 am

With Promiscuous, Deja Vu, Crazy it has been one awesome summer for music.

??? ??? ???

You must be completely off your rocker.  All of those songs are the typical crap we've had on the Top 40 for the last couple of years.  How are those songs any different from the pop music we've had to deal with lately??  I don't get it...

The guy who wrote that article is smoking some major strong herb, this Summer is no different from the last 4, the Music is all dominated by Rap/Crap Pop/Emo.  None of it is even remotely listenable

Even if "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is different, it doesn't really matter because i've heard the rest of their Album, and the rest of the songs on that album are horrible and aren't nearly as catchy.  So we can pretty much call them a 1-hit wonder

Nelly Furtado is a sell-out and she's quite annoying as well.  She's decided to start acting like a "slut" in order to become more popular and sell more records.  I hate it when female artists do that

Heck, I thought the music was much more listenable at the start of the year than it is now.

The guy who wrote that article should be fired ASAP.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/29/06 at 3:07 pm

??? ??? ???

You must be completely off your rocker.  All of those songs are the typical crap we've had on the Top 40 for the last couple of years.  How are those songs any different from the pop music we've had to deal with lately??  I don't get it...

The guy who wrote that article is smoking some major strong herb, this Summer is no different from the last 4, the Music is all dominated by Rap/Crap Pop/Emo.  None of it is even remotely listenable

Even if "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley is different, it doesn't really matter because i've heard the rest of their Album, and the rest of the songs on that album are horrible and aren't nearly as catchy.  So we can pretty much call them a 1-hit wonder

Nelly Furtado is a sell-out and she's quite annoying as well.  She's decided to start acting like a "slut" in order to become more popular and sell more records.  I hate it when female artists do that

Heck, I thought the music was much more listenable at the start of the year than it is now.

Whatever.  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/29/06 at 3:17 pm

Oh yeah I forgot "Ain't No Other Man" and "SOS".

Written By: Derek06 on 07/29/06 at 8:32 pm

How about Panic! At The Disco?  The Fray?  All are having hits this summer!  Justin Timberlake has a "sexy" song out now, Jojo has a new song, Jessica Simpson, Ciara, Paris Hilton (lol), etc, etc....so much new music this summer.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/29/06 at 9:08 pm

Torn by LeToya is another great song.

Written By: whistledog on 07/30/06 at 12:18 am

??? ??? ???

You must be completely off your rocker.  All of those songs are the typical crap we've had on the Top 40 for the last couple of years.  How are those songs any different from the pop music we've had to deal with lately?? 

So because you don't like those songs, means others can't like them?

YESSIR, WHATEVER YOU SAY

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 4:03 pm

??? ??? ???

Whoa, that's harsh, lol.

I'm not saying this summer is as good as 1985 music, but I agree it's more diverse than alot of the radio POP in the last five years. I think alot of the 2002-05 stuff is starting to fade away, actually.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 4:05 pm

Whoa, that's harsh, lol.

I'm not saying this summer is as good as 1985 music, but I agree it's more diverse than alot of the radio POP in the last five years. I think alot of the 2002-05 stuff is starting to fade away, actually.

Hip-hop like 50 Cent is going away for more pop/dance-influenced stuff like Rihanna, or even Outkast and Beyonce. Dance-pop is coming back, with a strong '80s influence, as is adult contemporary. One thing that I dislike, though, is the ongoing rise of various varieties of emo.

Does anybody else here agree the "hardcore '80s revival" stage is starting? I think that'll be a big feature of the late '00s. In terms of fashion, the boho thing is peaking right now, but the '80s influence on clothing is coming in...bigtime. Just look through any Nordstrom's or Lord & Taylor's catalogue. Though they hide it through using earthtones.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 4:11 pm

Hip-hop like 50 Cent is going away for more pop/dance-influenced stuff like Rihanna, or even Outkast and Beyonce. Dance-pop is coming back, with a strong '80s influence, as is adult contemporary. One thing that I dislike, though, is the ongoing rise of various varieties of emo.

Does anybody else here agree the "hardcore '80s revival" stage is starting? I think that'll be a big feature of the late '00s. In terms of fashion, the boho thing is peaking right now, but the '80s influence on clothing is coming in...bigtime. Just look through any Nordstrom's or Lord & Taylor's catalogue. Though they hide it through using earthtones.

Yeah, pop/punk, Eminem and 50 Cent are definitely past their peak. I wonder if the presence of many AC, or non-hip hop influenced rock is sort of the beginning of a backlash against rap?

Yeah, the '80s seems to be reaching a "wide comeback" about now (I guess 'cause even 1989 was 17 years ago now, but it's still recent enough to be cool and sorta modern - the way the '70s were from 1993-04 or so). I see alot more flashy colors in clothing stores, for instance.

Written By: KKay on 07/30/06 at 4:15 pm

Well, I know I don't know lots of new music. but it is basically becuase it comes on, I don't like it, and I change it.
nothing has really 'caught my ear' lately.
i think that article was a little over zealous in its love for current music..

its mediocre, but that's just my opinion.  i'm glad someone is having fun with the summer music, regardless.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 4:34 pm

Yeah, pop/punk, Eminem and 50 Cent are definitely past their peak. I wonder if the presence of many AC, or non-hip hop influenced rock is sort of the beginning of a backlash against rap?

Yeah, the '80s seems to be reaching a "wide comeback" about now (I guess 'cause even 1989 was 17 years ago now, but it's still recent enough to be cool and sorta modern - the way the '70s were from 1993-04 or so). I see alot more flashy colors in clothing stores, for instance.

The '80s comeback started around 2001 with "I Love the '80s" being really popular and alot of '80s-influenced music and movies taking place in the '80s coming out. Typically, nostalgia peaks around the '7-'8 year (like '70s nostalgia was massive in 1997 and 1998), so I think 2007 and 2008 will be huge in terms of '80s nostalgia. When the clothing starts to come back and the music is in commercials, you know it's getting huge.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 4:49 pm

The '80s comeback started around 2001 with "I Love the '80s" being really popular and alot of '80s-influenced music and movies taking place in the '80s coming out. Typically, nostalgia peaks around the '7-'8 year (like '70s nostalgia was massive in 1997 and 1998), so I think 2007 and 2008 will be huge in terms of '80s nostalgia. When the clothing starts to come back and the music is in commercials, you know it's getting huge.

Yeah, I've heard a few Go Go's songs in commercials in the last year or two.

The '60s nostalgia seemed to really explode around 1987/88 with shows like The Wonder Years, and the more activist/stripped down '60s styled music (well, this was huge in '89 too), so I agree 2007-09 will be big on '80s revival.

I think 2001-04 had a mix of '70s and '80s nostalgia. I don't think the '70s stopped being cool, it just stopped being the "main cool decade" if that makes sense. 1981-86 had '50s and '60s elements, too.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/30/06 at 5:45 pm

I had noticed that in 2006 I stopped being ashamed of listening to top 40. I figure its probably a mix of me getting older and the music getting better.
My roommate does much sighing and eyerolling when I switch to a pop station (still in his 20s for another year, bastard!) but will proudly rock the Monkees and Starland Vocal Band. SO we argue about whether pop music has to be old to be listenable and then we throw in a mix cd that combines Shonen Knife covers of the Carpenters with Elton John, the Killers and Bloodhound Gang. Again.

But I was in high school in the 80s, and I can tell you that the cool kids were definitely more into the Smiths,etc than anything on the radio. It wasn't until the 90s that the genX weed, coffee and flannel made 80s pop first a wednesday night disco thang wearing coca cola rugby shirts that came from a nasty thrift store and then some happy beats that grew on most of us 10 years after the fact.

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 6:09 pm

Yeah, I've heard a few Go Go's songs in commercials in the last year or two.

The '60s nostalgia seemed to really explode around 1987/88 with shows like The Wonder Years, and the more activist/stripped down '60s styled music (well, this was huge in '89 too), so I agree 2007-09 will be big on '80s revival.

I think 2001-04 had a mix of '70s and '80s nostalgia. I don't think the '70s stopped being cool, it just stopped being the "main cool decade" if that makes sense. 1981-86 had '50s and '60s elements, too.

I've also heard alot of Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and Squeeze songs, actually...I think there was a Kohl's commercial with old footage of Pat Benatar. Now, that's something people in the '90s never would've imagined becoming cool again...

Yeah, the '70s didn't stop totally being cool, they just receded into the background around 2001. By 2001-2002, though, you definitely knew '80s nostalgia was growing with I Love the '80s, Donnie Darko, and all the neo-wave music. I remember the New York Times had an article about it in 2002. Yeah, 1981-1986 had nostalgia for the years 1950-1966 or so...like the "pre-psychedelic '60s." I think the nostalgia in the '80s was for anything that seemed "old" to them. Like before having any commonalities with the '70s, which the late '60s certainly did, before racial integration and the women's lib movement, etc. This was present in the '70s, too, but it was mostly nostalgia for stuff even before the late '50s. I would say nostalgia for the first 2/3 of the '80s evened out at 1959-1961 or so. Like the "surf rock/girl group" years.

The "coolness" of the '70s was maybe 1991-2004, but it centered on 1993-2000 or so, and peaked around 1997 and 1998. It was just about the most noticeable nostalgia revival ever.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 7:41 pm

I've also heard alot of Pat Benatar and Joan Jett and Squeeze songs, actually...I think there was a Kohl's commercial with old footage of Pat Benatar. Now, that's something people in the '90s never would've imagined becoming cool again...

Yeah, the '70s didn't stop totally being cool, they just receded into the background around 2001. By 2001-2002, though, you definitely knew '80s nostalgia was growing with I Love the '80s, Donnie Darko, and all the neo-wave music. I remember the New York Times had an article about it in 2002. Yeah, 1981-1986 had nostalgia for the years 1950-1966 or so...like the "pre-psychedelic '60s." I think the nostalgia in the '80s was for anything that seemed "old" to them. Like before having any commonalities with the '70s, which the late '60s certainly did, before racial integration and the women's lib movement, etc. This was present in the '70s, too, but it was mostly nostalgia for stuff even before the late '50s. I would say nostalgia for the first 2/3 of the '80s evened out at 1959-1961 or so. Like the "surf rock/girl group" years.

The "coolness" of the '70s was maybe 1991-2004, but it centered on 1993-2000 or so, and peaked around 1997 and 1998. It was just about the most noticeable nostalgia revival ever.

True, it strikes me that the favorite part of the '50s during the '80s was the more "toned down 50s" from about 1959-'63. This was more the era of diners, drive-in movies and restaurants with girls on rollerblades, surfing, etc. But with JFK around, it's thought of still as the "innocent" era.

In a way, I think that's the sort of sound Hall and Oates were updating on some of their songs (I know from their Behind the Music ep, both are big fans of Motown, for instance. If you discount the rock stuff, you could say those types of ballads were popular from about 1959-66).

1991 in retrospect probably did start the '70s revival once the "1989 80s" began to fade into the background.

P.S. Haven't seen the Kohl's commercial yet, but that's pretty cool. Yeah, I'm sure someone in 1994 would've never imagined that. ;D

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 8:07 pm

True, it strikes me that the favorite part of the '50s during the '80s was the more "toned down 50s" from about 1959-'63. This was more the era of diners, drive-in movies and restaurants with girls on rollerblades, surfing, etc. But with JFK around, it's thought of still as the "innocent" era.

In a way, I think that's the sort of sound Hall and Oates were updating on some of their songs (I know from their Behind the Music ep, both are big fans of Motown, for instance. If you discount the rock stuff, you could say those types of ballads were popular from about 1959-66).

1991 in retrospect probably did start the '70s revival once the "1989 80s" began to fade into the background.

P.S. Haven't seen the Kohl's commercial yet, but that's pretty cool. Yeah, I'm sure someone in 1994 would've never imagined that. ;D

I was just in this antique store with my mom on Friday, and she was remarking about how there was all this rather ordinary furniture from the '50s and '60s there, worth hundreds of bucks, and how old that's making her feel. I definitely think the '50s and '60s furniture thing is big this decade. However, '80s stuff is still in the category where it's not old enough yet to quite count as "vintage" (i.e. furniture and clothing), so I should snap it up while I can.

Also, Madonna and the Go-Gos and Cyndi Lauper all were into the updated Motown thing.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 8:22 pm

I was just in this antique store with my mom on Friday, and she was remarking about how there was all this rather ordinary furniture from the '50s and '60s there, worth hundreds of bucks, and how old that's making her feel. I definitely think the '50s and '60s furniture thing is big this decade. However, '80s stuff is still in the category where it's not old enough yet to quite count as "vintage" (i.e. furniture and clothing), so I should snap it up while I can.

Also, Madonna and the Go-Gos and Cyndi Lauper all were into the updated Motown thing.

People probably pay big bucks for stuff like that once it gets really rare. I think it's closer to the 30 year mark, maybe even 40 years for stuff to count as vintage, although it depends on exactly what it is (furniture probably lasts longer than, say a VCR, so a working '80s VCR could sorta be vintage now, as scary as that sounds). That's one reason I buy alot of that stuff at Goodwill, even if I don't need it. It'll be great to have "working" ones once it does become truly rare.

I do wonder how many "wearable" clothes from the actual '80s still exist?

Written By: Dave79 on 07/30/06 at 8:30 pm

Whoa, that's harsh, lol.

I haven't been able to turn on anything Top 40 in many a year without wanting to cringe.  This year really isnt very different, of course it could be my part of the US.. but it still feels like 2004 here music wise.
--
Dave.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/30/06 at 9:31 pm

It does seem to me that the Top 40 in '06 is marginally better than it's been the past several years.

But personally, I'd still much rather be back in 1997. :)

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/30/06 at 9:44 pm

Aw, and I would love to have one of those 50s-60s tables with the formica top, metal around the edge and the seats with vinyl cusions and chrome legs. I think everyone had them in their kitchens at one time and now I can't even hope to buy one, even finding one is hard.

What do you buy that's 80s furniture? As much as I remember about clothes, music and movies, all I can remember about furniture is ugly couches with wooden arms, often made of scratchy plaid upholstery or this sort of puffy foam with country scenes. Oh, and lots of wooden ducks or wooden hearts with gingham bows on them hanging about the house.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 9:47 pm

I haven't been able to turn on anything Top 40 in many a year without wanting to cringe.  This year really isnt very different, of course it could be my part of the US.. but it still feels like 2004 here music wise.
--
Dave.

I agree, the mainstream radio pop songs were better up to about 2000/01. Since then, it's been more the occasional hit, and/or lesser known bands/songs which I've liked. I think there's starting to be a good number of non-rap influenced pop songs this year, though ("You're Beautiful" and "Bad Day" are perfect examples. I really like the latter). Even the rap stuff is more dancey hip hop, like "SOS".

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/30/06 at 9:49 pm

I had noticed that in 2006 I stopped being ashamed of listening to top 40. I figure its probably a mix of me getting older and the music getting better.
My roommate does much sighing and eyerolling when I switch to a pop station (still in his 20s for another year, bastard!) but will proudly rock the Monkees and Starland Vocal Band. SO we argue about whether pop music has to be old to be listenable and then we throw in a mix cd that combines Shonen Knife covers of the Carpenters with Elton John, the Killers and Bloodhound Gang. Again.

But I was in high school in the 80s, and I can tell you that the cool kids were definitely more into the Smiths,etc than anything on the radio. It wasn't until the 90s that the genX weed, coffee and flannel made 80s pop first a wednesday night disco thang wearing coca cola rugby shirts that came from a nasty thrift store and then some happy beats that grew on most of us 10 years after the fact.

That's interesting, but I believe it. Did the average person in high school with you dislike the poppier radio stuff like Phil Collins, Journey and Lionel Richie? Or did they just not like it as much as the edgier/artsy new wave bands.

It's sorta ironic, but the slightly more adult oriented '80s pop was my favorite stuff growing up (although I always liked some of the poppier new wave, or the less "heavy" hard rock and classic rock, too).

Written By: velvetoneo on 07/30/06 at 11:13 pm

I agree, the mainstream radio pop songs were better up to about 2000/01. Since then, it's been more the occasional hit, and/or lesser known bands/songs which I've liked. I think there's starting to be a good number of non-rap influenced pop songs this year, though ("You're Beautiful" and "Bad Day" are perfect examples. I really like the latter). Even the rap stuff is more dancey hip hop, like "SOS".

I think about late 2000 is when I genuinely started to dislike top 40. Even before then, I listened to the radio alot and casually liked stuff like Ricky Martin, TLC, or Cher's "Believe."

Written By: AmandaSparks on 07/31/06 at 12:08 am

That's interesting, but I believe it. Did the average person in high school with you dislike the poppier radio stuff like Phil Collins, Journey and Lionel Richie? Or did they just not like it as much as the edgier/artsy new wave bands.

It's sorta ironic, but the slightly more adult oriented '80s pop was my favorite stuff growing up (although I always liked some of the poppier new wave, or the less "heavy" hard rock and classic rock, too).

I hung out with nerds, heads and band geeks. 99 % of em didn't like the radio pop. Now I like it but I still wont purchase it because hey, its coming on the radio again in an hour. lol
Did you like the 80s power ballads? Like hair band stuff? I learned to love them in the 90s, when slow dancing was a thing of the past.

Written By: Marty McFly on 07/31/06 at 12:24 am

I hung out with nerds, heads and band geeks. 99 % of em didn't like the radio pop. Now I like it but I still wont purchase it because hey, its coming on the radio again in an hour. lol
Did you like the 80s power ballads? Like hair band stuff? I learned to love them in the 90s, when slow dancing was a thing of the past.

Yeah, I've gotten into alot of it after it was popular too. Some '80s music I didn't hear until the '90s (or I just didn't remember it until I heard it again, etc).

Oh yeah, I like Bon Jovi and a few songs by Def Leppard, Whitesnake, Permanent Vacation-era Aerosmith, etc. I grew up mainly on poppy '80s music, so the only heavy metal I really knew as a kid (I was 9-10 in 1991, which is commonly thought of as the '80s/90s line) were the crossover hairband songs, many of them power ballads. I also watched VH1 alot around then, they were sorta like an '80s pop radio version of MTV.

BTW I never really fit into any clique. The closest might be the Theatre group 'cause that's what I'm into doing, but I sorta could get along with anyone.

Written By: Ebontyne on 07/31/06 at 11:34 am

I think about late 2000 is when I genuinely started to dislike top 40. Even before then, I listened to the radio alot and casually liked stuff like Ricky Martin, TLC, or Cher's "Believe."

I began to lose interest around 1999... before that I used to listen to the radio and watch music videos quite a lot, and could generally enjoy myself. :)

Written By: sonikuu on 07/31/06 at 5:38 pm

I must admit that the music of 2006 is turning out better than I thought it would be.  The beginning of the year was horrible, with crappy songs like "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz".  Things have gotten a lot better since then (anything is an improvement over "Laffy Taffy").  While I still don't like some of the stuff on the Top 40 (I just don't see the appeal of "Promiscuous"), the simple fact is it could've been a lot worse than it's turned out to be.  Also, is it just me or have Hip-Hop influenced songs been doing better lately than actual Hip-Hop?

Written By: Dave79 on 08/01/06 at 8:44 am

I must admit that the music of 2006 is turning out better than I thought it would be.  The beginning of the year was horrible, with crappy songs like "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz".  Things have gotten a lot better since then (anything is an improvement over "Laffy Taffy").  While I still don't like some of the stuff on the Top 40 (I just don't see the appeal of "Promiscuous"), the simple fact is it could've been a lot worse than it's turned out to be.  Also, is it just me or have Hip-Hop influenced songs been doing better lately than actual Hip-Hop?

Does anybody actually like "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz"!?
Top 40 isn't Top 40 its more like  "Rap 40"    Until that changes I wont even bother with the local Top 40 station.
--
Dave.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/07/06 at 12:35 pm

I do like Grillz. Its catchy.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/06 at 1:16 pm

Does anybody actually like "Laffy Taffy" and "Grillz"!?
Top 40 isn't Top 40 its more like  "Rap 40"    Until that changes I wont even bother with the local Top 40 station.
--
Dave.

Only about 5 songs in the current top 20 are actually rap songs.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/07/06 at 2:33 pm

Umm no they're not a 1 hit wonder just because you happen to assume that, and the rest of the album is not "horrible".

She did something different and did a good job with it, Loose is a great album and Timbaland is a great producer.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/06 at 2:49 am

Only about 5 songs in the current top 20 are actually rap songs.

Yeah, I think rap is on the decline slightly, in fact ("SOS" or more dance-styled rap is probably the next wave).

Have you noticed something - since, like 1991 people have always been saying "Today's music is nothing but rap"? That's a pretty exaggerated and generalistic statement (even if it's sorta true in a limited extent). It's like all other kinds of music are overshone by hip hop's mere presence by certain people.

I've been hearing the same thing since I was 9, lol.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/06 at 3:15 am

Yeah, I think rap is on the decline slightly, in fact ("SOS" or more dance-styled rap is probably the next wave).

Have you noticed something - since, like 1991 people have always been saying "Today's music is nothing but rap"? That's a pretty exaggerated and generalistic statement (even if it's sorta true in a limited extent). It's like all other kinds of music are overshone by hip hop's mere presence by certain people.

I've been hearing the same thing since I was 9, lol.

Yeah, that's true. It seems like sometime in the early '90s was when rap started to seem like it was more popular than rock. Like around the time the grunge movement took off so did rap(even though you could make the case that it really took off in 1989 or 1990 when M.C Hammer and Vanilla Ice were big). It does seem like after that rap has been percived to totally doimnate the music charts even though it really doesn't.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/11/06 at 3:19 am

Yeah, that's true. It seems like sometime in the early '90s was when rap started to seem like it was more popular than rock. Like around the time the grunge movement took off so did rap(even though you could make the case that it really took off in 1989 or 1990 when M.C Hammer and Vanilla Ice were big). It does seem like after that rap has been percived to totally doimnate the music charts even though it really doesn't.

Rap was far more popular than it was given credit for in the mid to late 80s, not only with well known, media-hounds and controversy-stirrers such as Public Enemy, N.W.A, and as well as more 'friendly' rap acts like Run D.M.C. Imitative rap culture - the culture of Boom Boxes, early baggy jeans, low-riders.etc, began in places like Brooklyn, Chicago's South Side, Watts.etc. I don't think rap has really ever dominated the charts - although it came very close in 2000-2005, there was still alot of slower, non rap R'n'B, more melodic hip hop, 'soulful' pop.etc.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/11/06 at 3:24 am

Rap was far more popular than it was given credit for in the mid to late 80s, not only with well known, media-hounds and controversy-stirrers such as Public Enemy, N.W.A, and as well as more 'friendly' rap acts like Run D.M.C. Imitative rap culture - the culture of Boom Boxes, early baggy jeans, low-riders.etc, began in places like Brooklyn, Chicago's South Side, Watts.etc. I don't think rap has really ever dominated the charts - although it came very close in 2000-2005, there was still alot of slower, non rap R'n'B, more melodic hip hop, 'soulful' pop.etc.

Yeah, starting in about 1985 rap started to become really popular. 1986 seems like a big breakout year for the genre. With the Bestie Boys first album coming out, and Run D.M.C's big crossover hit with the Aerosmith re-make. It was already quite popular by 1989/'90.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/11/06 at 3:27 am

Yeah, starting in about 1985 rap started to become really popular. 1986 seems like a big breakout year for the genre. With the Bestie Boys first album coming out, and Run D.M.C's big crossover hit with the Aerosmith re-make. It was already quite popular by 1989/'90.

I suppose many people who grew up in the U.K., Australia and even Canada might not have known that, as rap was nowhere near as popular there in the 80s as it was in the U.S. Synth-pop and early house - e.g. Stone Roses, Manic Street Preachers were the buzz in the U.K., while in Oz it was all about pub rock, Kylie Minogue, Kate Cebrano, Crowded House - post-folk. It was only about 1989 when rap hit it big in Australia.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/11/06 at 12:37 pm

I hate pop.  I hate rap. 

I'm a rocker, but today's rock music bores me about as much as pop.

For thing, nobody plays guitar worth a flying **** anymore.  What ever happened to guitar heroics in rock n' roll?  The blues influence on rock seems to be thrown by the wayside as well.  Rock nowadays is essentially pop(emo and punk) and if it's not its unlistenable metal that has no melody.

I want good ALBUMS, not singles.  I want melody.  I want those long guitar solos back.

Until mainstream rock essentially goes back to how it was in the late 60s and the 70s I have no interest in listening to new music.  I can still listen to GOOD music like the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Moody Blues, Steely Dan, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Grateful Dead, Allman brothers band, etc.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/11/06 at 12:41 pm

I'm a dinosaur and I'm only 18 for cripe's sake.  I'm an FM man in an AM world. ;D ;D

(some older people might get that joke- I dunno)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/11/06 at 9:05 pm

[quote author=

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/12/06 at 12:31 am

[quote author=

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/12/06 at 12:50 am

I think that this year's music is garbage, for the most part. Its the worst year for music since 2002. Some of the songs are just really annoying and played out, like "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt and "Crazy" by Gnarls Barkley. Btw, have you heard that new "London Bridge" song by Fergie? It's a corny song, but it has a catchy beat.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/12/06 at 8:51 am

BTW, just curious, I know you've said you're not too into '80s music overall, but do you like the more classic rockish type '80s music (John Mellencamp, Born in the USA-era Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, Van Halen, some Cars songs, etc)?

Yup, definitely.  Mellancamp, Springsteen, Petty, Van Halen and the Cars are all good.  I also like the Dire Straits and Elvis Costello as well as a lot of new wave from the early 80's.  So I think there was still a lot of good music in the 80s, but I think the late 80's was when things began to take a noticable nose dive.

Check for new replies or respond here...