inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Secret behind Lily's smile

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/30/06 at 8:13 am

Lily Allen has revealed the story behind her No1 single, Smile.

She wrote the song after her first love Lester Lloyd dumped her when she was 18 - and she ended up in the Priory clinic.

Lily told the Sun: "It's a situation many girls will relate to. I was really young and in love. I fell to pieces - trying to make him take me back, trying to make it work.

"I started to get depressed and anyone who suffers from depression knows that it can soon get so bad that you can't get out of bed.

"It was then that I checked into the Priory. That was really tough as I was an emotional mess."

But she added: "When I started writing music, Smile was the first thing I ever wrote.

"I always thought you should write about what you know, what's going on in your life, and this guy had taken up so much of my time and my emotions that the words just came pouring out.

"So the lyrics are definitely bitter-sweet. Of course, I never thought the record would chart - I didn't even think I'd get a record contract."

Subject: Re: Secret behind Lily's smile

Written By: Trimac20 on 07/30/06 at 12:27 pm

I was going to post a thread about Lily Allen...but I figured most Americans had never even heard of her. Interesting and inspiring story though...I quite like Lily's debut 'Alright, Still', 'Smile' being one of the stand-out tracks. She is a breath of fresh air in the stagnant music industry, and I hope she goes far.

Written By: chaka on 07/31/06 at 2:54 pm

So how long will it take for her to top America's charts? If she does,that is..

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/31/06 at 2:58 pm

Ages yet, for Sandi Thom has not hit the scene over there yet.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 07/31/06 at 5:16 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about Eli Lily---

http://anxietydisorders.biz/images/prozac_box.gif

Yup, gotta get you one of them Eli Lily smiles!
:)

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 1:12 am

Like bands like Blur or Supergrass, or more recent stars like Dizzee Rascal (even Robbie Williams wasn't that big in the U.S.), I think Lily's 'Britishness' which be lost on the Yanks. For one, they don't understand alot of the slang. But I dunno, I could be wrong. I do expect her to be pretty big in Australia, New Zealand and possibly Canada, though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/01/06 at 1:20 am

Oh, I thought you were talking about Eli Lily---

http://anxietydisorders.biz/images/prozac_box.gif

Yup, gotta get you one of them Eli Lily smiles!
:)
Will this bring a smile to your face?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 1:41 am

Will this bring a smile to your face?

Both would bring a  :) to my face.

Written By: chaka on 08/01/06 at 11:04 am

Both would bring a  :) to my face.

EY?!
I wouldn't glorify anti-depressants.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/01/06 at 11:27 am

EY?!

I feel so happy!!!  :) :) :) I feel like hugging everyone!!!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/01/06 at 11:40 am

EY?!

I would.  They saved my life.  The difference is I actually have severe clinical depression.  Big pharm pushes these powerful medications to people who don't really need them.  People used Prozac as a personality enhancer and then everybody panicked about Prozac-users jumping off bridges!  Nobody would consider taking anticoagulants if they did not have atrial fibrillation, but everybody wanted on the antidepressant bandwagon when they did not have depression, neurochemically speaking.  Well, if you take medicine for a condition you don't have, you could be risking your life.

If you have a problem with psychotrophic medications on principle, go tell it to Tom Cruise.  I'm not interested.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the topic....

Written By: chaka on 08/01/06 at 11:51 am

I would.  They saved my life.  The difference is I actually have severe clinical depression.  Big pharm pushes these powerful medications to people who don't really need them.  People used Prozac as a personality enhancer and then everybody panicked about Prozac-users jumping off bridges!  Nobody would consider taking anticoagulants if they did not have atrial fibrillation, but everybody wanted on the antidepressant bandwagon when they did not have depression, neurochemically speaking.  Well, if you take medicine for a condition you don't have, you could be risking your life.

If you have a problem with psychotrophic medications on principle, go tell it to Tom Cruise.  I'm not interested.

Anyway, I don't mean to hijack the topic....

I agree with what you're saying but my point was that,on these boards,I have noticed alot of people (IMO) seem to be "proud" when they recite the numerous pills they take,and that's something that drives me up the wall.
Depression is a very serious matter and I just can't stand it when people glorify it,as if it makes them "superior" or something like that.
I remember talking to someone about depression and she goes:
Oh,I'm bipolar,you know what that is? I've tried to kill myself so many times but I never succeded..you know Da Vinci and Kurt Cobain were bipolar?They were artists.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/04/06 at 6:03 pm

I listened to a 30-second sample of her no.1 hit and I didn't like it- this song is from the same singer who said Madonna was "overrated"- yes Madonna may be overrated, but she wouldn't be as famous as she is right now if she hadn't been the artist she was. She also blasted James Blunt- hey Lily, at least James Blunt keeps his ego within limits when it comes to comments- and he was gracious enough to have a sense of humor about the airplay of "You're Beautiful" by saying "I'm going to be rude about this before anyone else has the chance -thank you so much for the award for most overplayed song."

I heard her other songs- they're not that good

Written By: Criz on 08/05/06 at 7:31 am

I listened to a 30-second sample of her no.1 hit and I didn't like it- this song is from the same singer who said Madonna was "overrated"- yes Madonna may be overrated, but she wouldn't be as famous as she is right now if she hadn't been the artist she was. She also blasted James Blunt- hey Lily, at least James Blunt keeps his ego within limits when it comes to comments- and he was gracious enough to have a sense of humor about the airplay of "You're Beautiful" by saying "I'm going to be rude about this before anyone else has the chance -thank you so much for the award for most overplayed song."

I heard her other songs- they're not that good

Thanks you!!!

I thought I was the only one who didn't like her-everyone is raving about her! I just don't get the fascination really.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/05/06 at 4:13 pm

I agree with what you're saying but my point was that,on these boards,I have noticed alot of people (IMO) seem to be "proud" when they recite the numerous pills they take,and that's something that drives me up the wall.
Depression is a very serious matter and I just can't stand it when people glorify it,as if it makes them "superior" or something like that.
I remember talking to someone about depression and she goes:
Oh,I'm bipolar,you know what that is? I've tried to kill myself so many times but I never succeded..you know Da Vinci and Kurt Cobain were bipolar?They were artists.

I wasn't going to address this off-topic topic again, but what we have here is a failure to communicate!

I won't speak for others, but I often address my depression and my treatments with levity.  As a fellow who has survived the darkest afflictions of major depression, I find a sense of humor indispensible.

Pride? I don't favor pride, spiritually speaking.  But if not "proud," do you think people who suffer from mental illnesses should be ashamed?  That used to be the case, and we have barely evolved out of the shame mentality.  You sound like you might have some issues yourself, my friend.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 4:56 am

Back on topic, what do you all think of Ms Allen? I've been reading many reviews of her album (which I personally thought was a good effort, if not spectacular), and they seemed more mixed than they predicted. Attributing her success to her 'famous' father is just clap-trap, imo. It's obvious she has used every avenue possible to promote herself and her music, so I wish her good luck in the future.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/07/06 at 7:31 pm

Thanks you!!!

I thought I was the only one who didn't like her-everyone is raving about her! I just don't get the fascination really.

Welcome!

I don't like her for the James Blunt comment and her music is bad!!

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/08/06 at 4:48 am

Welcome!

I don't like her for the James Blunt comment and her music is bad!!

What James Blunt comment? Would anyone care to explain?

(but doesn't everyone bag poor old J.B.? lol)

Written By: Gis on 08/08/06 at 6:16 am

Thanks you!!!

I find her and her song incredibly irritating.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/06 at 1:52 pm

I find her and her song incredibly irritating.
Smile by Lily Allen is on the same list for me as the group Outkast and that Cha Cha Slide song, all three annoying!

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/08/06 at 5:11 pm

What James Blunt comment? Would anyone care to explain?

(but doesn't everyone bag poor old J.B.? lol)

It was something along the lines of that her opinion of him rhymed with his last name

Written By: Gis on 08/09/06 at 1:30 am

It was something along the lines of that her opinion of him rhymed with his last name
He's always called that in the U.K due to his surname.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/09/06 at 10:48 pm

Oh yeah, I subsequently read it up on the net. I'm no Blunt fan, but that's a bit twattish of her to say. It's like all these 'musically important' new artists come out and feel they can slag everyone else for their various sins...but anyway, I don't dislike her. As I said, I quite like her debut album and think she is still better than 90% of what is on the charts atm.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/06 at 12:16 am

James Front?

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/10/06 at 4:18 pm

James Front?

I think she meant c***

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/10/06 at 4:19 pm

I think she meant c***
I was being pleasant to this thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...