inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'World Trade Center'

Written By: Carl on 08/03/06 at 8:34 am

Just curious, is anyone gonna go and see this?

Subject: Re: 'World Trade Center'

Written By: Tia on 08/03/06 at 9:02 am

i probably will. i like oliver stone quite a bit, although i wish he'd go back to his cool JFK/Nixon groove and do a movie about all the 911 unanswered questions. but i still bet it'll be a good movie and i dismiss out of hand all this "it's too soon to make a movie about it" stuff. i guess it depends what you think movies do, whether they're just pure entertainment -- in which case, sure, exploiting 911 to entertain would be pretty low -- or whether they perform a social/cultural function, in which case making movies and fiction etc. about it will help enable discussion and help people to understand and process it better, come to a more sophisticated understanding of it. i'm of the second camp.

i thought flight 93 was pretty amazing too.

Written By: Jessica on 08/03/06 at 9:45 am

I saw the trailer for it and actually do want to see it, although I'll probably have to bring a box of Kleenex with me.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/03/06 at 9:48 am

Maybe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/03/06 at 11:55 am

I do have plans to see this film, I lived through the events live on television and wish to compare.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/03/06 at 3:31 pm

it looks really cheesy. 911 was a tragedy but it's old news. i'm getting kinda tired of hearin about it. plus there's already like 10 movies about it as it is.

Written By: Carl on 08/03/06 at 3:43 pm

I'm gonna skip this, then again I don't go to the movies much anyway.

Written By: HunkyDory on 08/03/06 at 4:46 pm

i saw the previews for this movie...and I said to myself "this movie is going to be sad...BUT LOOK AT NICHOLAS CAGE'S MUSTACHE!!"

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 4:52 pm

I'm gonna skip this, then again I don't go to the movies much anyway.

Yeah, same here. There are alot of movies I'd like to see, I just don't have the time or money.

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/03/06 at 9:34 pm

I'll see it and it does look good, however I say it's way to soon for this movie to be made. Way way way too soon.

A-Time has healed jack squat, nothing didly crap.

B- We still don't have all the answers we're looking for

C- We haven't caught who's responsible for it

D- It in some way shape or form WILL mark my word cause something negative. 

Written By: Davester on 08/04/06 at 2:57 am

D- It in some way shape or form WILL mark my word cause something negative. 

Please continue.  I'm interested...

Written By: Derek06 on 08/04/06 at 4:59 am

Nope...especially since we already had a 9-11 movie this year.  These film companies are ridiculous.  Can't they let this even rest in peace for, oh say like 20 more years, at least.  It's a marketing thing....i know it.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/04/06 at 8:34 am

i probably will. i like oliver stone quite a bit, although i wish he'd go back to his cool JFK/Nixon groove

I like JFK, but at least 70% of that movie is horse poop.

I'm looking forward to World Trade Center.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/12/06 at 12:43 am

Nope...especially since we already had a 9-11 movie this year.  These film companies are ridiculous.  Can't they let this even rest in peace for, oh say like 20 more years, at least.  It's a marketing thing....i know it.

yeah, like titanic. by the time the movie was made, the titanic was forgotten. most of it's suvivors dead.

Written By: Tia on 08/12/06 at 12:50 am

well, the thing is, i have a feeling the fact that 9/11 has passed more or less unexamined -- because for some inscrutable reason we're supposed to not even think about it until it becomes fodder for the history channel?, and i've never been able to figure out the reasoning behind that -- that this refusal to think about it or consider the effect that that event had on america has a lot to do with the ease with which 9/11 gets hijacked (sorry) for whatever war agenda the current administration happened to have cooking well before 9/11 happened in the first place.

my bee for getting all political but it does seem to me rather obvious that if we ever THOUGHT about 9/11, rather than collectively pushing it down and suppressing it, our reaction to it would be a lot less irrational than it's turned out to be, and a lot of innocent people, iraqi AND american, might be alive today.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/12/06 at 2:48 am

Hell no.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/12/06 at 8:59 am

They were making Pearl Harbor films within less than 10 years after it happened. Hell I think the first one was actually about 1945 or 1946.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/06 at 2:27 pm

yeah, like titanic. by the time the movie was made, the titanic was forgotten. most of it's suvivors dead.

1958 saw the release of the movie A Night to Remember, which had the Titanic sinking as is storyline that was taken from a book based on the memories of 64 survivors.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/06 at 4:18 pm

The movie about 9/11 that needs to be made would be banned for "national security" purposes.

As for "World Trade Center," Cal Thomas endorsed it, so I ain't goin'!

Written By: STAR70 on 08/12/06 at 5:21 pm

I've seen it, it was awesome

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/12/06 at 5:33 pm

[quote author=

Written By: Tia on 08/12/06 at 6:26 pm

i saw it today too, it was pretty good but a lot of the propagandizing was very simplistic, we-good they-bad stuff. i kept thinking, yeah, but how many civilians are getting caught under the rubble from the bombs getting dropped in iraq cuz the pinhead-in-chief told us that's where al qaeda was? why is american suffering the only kind we should care about?

i guess it gets me worked up because so many people are gonna see this movie and then get all pissed off and gung ho to blow more stuff up halfway across the world to no discernible benefit. you know, hey, yeah, great.

nicholas cage was pretty good in it, though, he gets an "earn this" type line at one point and it's really a powerful moment. a lot of the stuff with them buried in the rubble was so awful it was an ordeal to watch. they never re-create the planes crashing into the buildings, which i thought was an interesting move -- everybody on street level, no one knew what was going on.

my editor on wtc and united 93. she's a kickas writer. i thought united 93 was a lot better, although it had some elements of propaganda in it as well. but it was much more interesting, took a lot more risks.

http://www.popmatters.com/pm/film/reviews/world-trade-center-2006
http://www.popmatters.com/film/reviews/u/united-93.shtml

ANYway... the really funny bit is, people keep saying it's "apolitical," wtc, but really what they mean is it doesn't have the politics they'd expect from oliver stone.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/12/06 at 11:17 pm

I plan to go see it tomorrow.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/06 at 2:28 am

The UK release date is set for 29 September 2006.

Check for new replies or respond here...