inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the 00s, 10s and generation Z?

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/03/06 at 12:53 pm

May seem like a long way off, but 2010 is less than three and a half years away. Amazing to me. For some reason, growing up, while I imagined that the dawn of the new century/millenium would seem "futuristic:, the idea of 2010 seemed even more so. Perhaps because the book/film 2001 was several years before I was born, but I definitely remember seing the sequel 2010 as a kid. So any ideas? The general consensus that I have heard by young and old alike, is that the turn of the century and new millenium have been somewhat of a bust right from the get-go (the fin de seicle idea of Y2K came and went like any other recent New Year's Eve)..then 2001 I prefer to call a "disgrace Odyssey" due to personal events in my life and what happened in the world. So now that the 00's are heading into the later years of the decade, what will the 2010's bring?? My daughter who is now 20 months old born Dec.9, 2004 will mostly be shaped by this decade and the 20's. We will be debating whether she will be a teens child or a child of the twenties, much as people debate whether I (born in early 1977) am an eighties or nineties child. I think I am mostly both, with a very small touch of 70's and some 00's mixed in (a four decader generation lol). She is generation Z while I am the tail end of X (I don't identify with generation Y much really..most people I associate with are my age or older, with the exception of my younger siblings). What do you think will be the biggest infulence on generation Z and why will it be different from gen X and gen Y?

Subject: Re: the 00s, 10s and generation Z?

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/03/06 at 1:09 pm

Supposedly there'll be some serious economic strain in Western nations as the baby boomers retire. The pension bomb, I believe they call it, beginning around 2010.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/03/06 at 1:21 pm

May seem like a long way off, but 2010 is less than three and a half years away. Amazing to me. For some reason, growing up, while I imagined that the dawn of the new century/millenium would seem "futuristic:, the idea of 2010 seemed even more so. Perhaps because the book/film 2001 was several years before I was born, but I definitely remember seing the sequel 2010 as a kid. So any ideas? The general consensus that I have heard by young and old alike, is that the turn of the century and new millenium have been somewhat of a bust right from the get-go (the fin de seicle idea of Y2K came and went like any other recent New Year's Eve)..then 2001 I prefer to call a "disgrace Odyssey" due to personal events in my life and what happened in the world. So now that the 00's are heading into the later years of the decade, what will the 2010's bring?? My daughter who is now 20 months old born Dec.9, 2004 will mostly be shaped by this decade and the 20's. We will be debating whether she will be a teens child or a child of the twenties, much as people debate whether I (born in early 1977) am an eighties or nineties child. I think I am mostly both, with a very small touch of 70's and some 00's mixed in (a four decader generation lol). She is generation Z while I am the tail end of X (I don't identify with generation Y much really..most people I associate with are my age or older, with the exception of my younger siblings). What do you think will be the biggest infulence on generation Z and why will it be different from gen X and gen Y?

I guess I might be behind the times  :-[ , but im not really sure what the this generation Y, X Z stuff is.. I've heard of those terms but that is it. I always thought a generation was something like a grandma, mom, daughter.. each was one...

--
Dave.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 3:45 pm

Nice to see generational talk still ongoing ;)

Your defidently an '80s child/'90s teen. I suppose if your daughter was born in 2004, she'll likely be a child of the '10s/teen of the early '20s. The 2010's will still be very Y early on but at some point there will be a shift and Gen Z will likely be the dominant force from about 2014 or so on. These are of course perdictions, no one can really say how it'll turn out.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/03/06 at 4:19 pm

Nice to see generational talk still ongoing ;)

Your defidently an '80s child/'90s teen. I suppose if your daughter was born in 2004, she'll likely be a child of the '10s/teen of the early '20s. The 2010's will still be very Y early on but at some point there will be a shift and Gen Z will likely be the dominant force from about 2014 or so on. These are of course perdictions, no one can really say how it'll turn out.

Care to clue me in, I haven't been here for long and I don't know much about this "generational talk" or the XyZ.

--
Dave.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/03/06 at 4:42 pm

Care to clue me in, I haven't been here for long and I don't know much about this "generational talk" or the XyZ.

--
Dave.

The "generations" refer to people born within certian years who are grouped together and horribly stereotyped(like everyone born between ?-? liked the same music, had the same life experinces etc.). Its mostly used as a form of marketing to young people. The most modern gens are:

Baby Boomer:1946-1964
Gen X:1964-1981
Gen Y:1981-1997
Gen Z:1997-?

These are just rough estimates and generations are FAR from scientific. Mostly its just corperate sterotypes.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/03/06 at 11:58 pm

The "generations" refer to people born within certian years who are grouped together and horribly stereotyped(like everyone born between ?-? liked the same music, had the same life experinces etc.). Its mostly used as a form of marketing to young people. The most modern gens are:

Baby Boomer:1946-1964
Gen X:1964-1981
Gen Y:1981-1997
Gen Z:1997-?

These are just rough estimates and generations are FAR from scientific. Mostly its just corperate sterotypes.

Without getting into it again too much (I know many are sicker than sick of that sort of thing), I agree. I'd put it like this, which is pretty much the same

Silent Generation: 1929-45 (although '37-45 are sort of early Boomers)
Baby Boomer: 1946-63 (again, sorta two groups itself, diving around '54)
Generation X: 1964-80
Gen Y: 1981-95
Gen Z: 1996-early 2010's (estimated)

And I agree, alot of people lump certain ages together as all liking the same things, which is (unfairly) generalizing.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/04/06 at 12:01 am

Without getting into it again too much (I know many are sicker than sick of that sort of thing), I agree. I'd put it like this, which is pretty much the same

And I agree, alot of people lump certain ages together as all liking the same things, which is (unfairly) generalizing.

I agree with that. I like the Gen Y boundaries...anybody born between the time Reagan took office and the world wide web got well-known and the Oklahoma City Bombings occurred (which changed lifestyles immensely and which put the fear of terrorism in our hearts, respectively.) Generation X is anybody born between the time LBJ took office and Reagan got elected.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 12:07 am

Yeah, that's about right. You can always give or take a few years for the beginning of Gen Z(since we dont really know what Zers will be like yet). I said 1997, but I could still see both '95 or '96 being the beginning of Z. Still no sooner than 1995 though.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/06 at 12:09 am

I agree with that. I like the Gen Y boundaries...anybody born between the time Reagan took office and the world wide web got well-known and the Oklahoma City Bombings occurred (which changed lifestyles immensely and which put the fear of terrorism in our hearts, respectively.) Generation X is anybody born between the time LBJ took office and Reagan got elected.

Yeah, I remember the day of the OKC bombing clearly. I'd heard at school that day, something serious had gone down, but didn't know details. I figured it was just a "couple day of news" thing but no big deal. When I got home, that was all that was on the news. It was awful, and in some ways, I think that 1995-01 era was sort of the precursor to how it would be in the post-9/11 world. Up till then, terrorism wasn't even thought of as a domestic thing much.

And the Internet became a "household word" at least by '95, even if didn't get huge until '97 and not to the point of essential until '99/00.

Anyway, I'd say 1975 is the last totally Gen X year, and 1986 is the first totally Y year. Someone like me for instance, would be an "old Yer" with Xer tastes.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 12:15 am

Anyway, I'd say 1975 is the last totally Gen X year, and 1986 is the first totally Y year. Someone like me for instance, would be an "old Yer" with Xer tastes.

Yeah, I always felt like anybody born in 1985 or earlier seemed like an 'old Yer with Xer tastes'. I think that those born in the mid-late '90s will be roughly the same(like someone born in 1997 will likely be an 'Old Zer with Yer tastes')

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 1:45 am

Thanks for the replies so far! Interesting. I know the whole XYZ thing and the boundaries debate are almost as old as the Xers and Yers themselves and get boring , but I definitely think a good starting point for my daughter's generation (Z) would be the inability to remember in any way, shape, or form, Sept. 11, 2001 (either much much too young or not born yet). The X and Y stuff have always been debated (most put my birthyear of 77 as X, some as early Y partition), but I associate more with X because with the exceptions of my younger siblings, I didn't associate with many people younger than myself when I was a teen. I think we can start to tell a little about gen Z btw..the "smarter than parents" stuff that really seemed to have started in the media in the late 90s with the youngest Yers. Think the "Pedialyte" commercials with the lil girl snottily telling her mom that she doesnt WANT sych and such and doesn't LIKE such and such..makes my blood boil to see such..and that AOL (??)commercial where the lil kid makes the parents look like dorks while he "fixes" the computer. I love kids and their innocent wisdom is often funny, but please don't make parents look like idiots..hope gen Z is not like that.

Written By: Derek06 on 08/04/06 at 5:03 am

Another good gen Z divider is how kids born before 1995 knew and had an idea of the 9-11 attacks (they were at least 5 when it happened), when kids born 1996 and up most likely didn't. 

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/04/06 at 8:15 am

Ahh who cares about the generational labels.  I was born in 1975 and I always get lumped in the same generation as the older Xers born around 1963 or something like that.  I LOVE the 80s, but I was such a young kid back then, it gets annoying when kids ask me questions like I was 25 in 1985.  There are things people born in 1967 talk about that I can't always relate to.  That being said, on the other end of it I don't consider myself to be part of the generation born after the early 80s...they're just too young for me to pretend like we're part of the same peer group.  People born around 1981 would be the last group that I can honestly relate to.      

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/04/06 at 9:14 am

Ahh who cares about the generational labels.  I was born in 1975 and I always get lumped in the same generation as the older Xers born around 1963 or something like that.  I LOVE the 80s, but I was such a young kid back then, it gets annoying when kids ask me questions like I was 25 in 1985.   There are things people born in 1967 talk about that I can't always relate to.  That being said, on the other end of it I don't consider myself to be part of the generation born after the early 80s...they're just too young for me to pretend like we're part of the same peer group.  People born around 1981 would be the last group that I can honestly relate to.      

Yeah, I've noticed it happening more with me too. Like when I tell someone I grew up watching a movie from 1989, or that I remember VH1 programming from when I was 10, people don't really challenge me as much as they might have if I talked about my childhood when I was 15 (i.e. "Dude, wait weren't you just a little kid then, how can you remember that?").

It's that whole rearview mirror theory of things blurring together as they get further into the picture. Like, when I was 8-9 in 1990 my personal experiences were way different from a 20-year old 1970er, but as time goes on, it's like I've now joined "one of them" if you know what I mean. Sometimes I admit, that feels a little weird/unsettling. That's even more strange 'cause people must not do the math in their head sometimes (even though I'm 24, almost 25, most people think I'm 3-5 years younger).

Again, this depends solely on the person, but overall, I guess I can relate to anyone born 1973-1990 as somewhat of a "friend" (even if differences in what even 1985ers grew up with can make me feel old sometimes). I do think around 8 years difference is when you can start feeling totally removed from a peer group.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 9:17 am

Ahh who cares about the generational labels.  I was born in 1975 and I always get lumped in the same generation as the older Xers born around 1963 or something like that.  I LOVE the 80s, but I was such a young kid back then, it gets annoying when kids ask me questions like I was 25 in 1985.   There are things people born in 1967 talk about that I can't always relate to.  That being said, on the other end of it I don't consider myself to be part of the generation born after the early 80s...they're just too young for me to pretend like we're part of the same peer group.  People born around 1981 would be the last group that I can honestly relate to.      

I understand howyou feel about the labels..there are so many years included sometimes they are meaningless, a subgeneration makes more sense really..I was born in early 77 and that makes me a young, tail-end generation X..but I don't have all that much in common as far as culture experience with the 1964-born gen Xer, and on the other hand if I am gen Y, I certainly don't have a lot in common with the supposed 1995-born "millenials" (They were just being born as I was graduating from h.s..but we're the same generation? Sorry, don't think so). So in that respect, yes, the generation markers are pretty lame and meaningless. I guess my "generation" would just be anyone within about 5 years of my age..born about 1972-82. Someone born in 1964 or 1986 has very, totally different life experiences than me, even if there is only a surface similarity (the 1964 borns, like me, have lived through the 80s..the '86 borns lived through the 90s..but all very differently).

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/04/06 at 11:20 am

Yeah, I remember the day of the OKC bombing clearly. I'd heard at school that day, something serious had gone down, but didn't know details. I figured it was just a "couple day of news" thing but no big deal. When I got home, that was all that was on the news. It was awful, and in some ways, I think that 1995-01 era was sort of the precursor to how it would be in the post-9/11 world. Up till then, terrorism wasn't even thought of as a domestic thing much.

And the Internet became a "household word" at least by '95, even if didn't get huge until '97 and not to the point of essential until '99/00.

I suppose so. I think about 1983 seems to be the first year with "Y" tastes, actually. Even somebody born in 1976 would not remember anything from before Reagan, so they wouldn't remember the "pre-Wal Mart days" so much.

There was also the whole first WTC bombing in 1993, on my dad's birthday, which I sort of vaguely remember, since we planned this whole celebration and it took him eons to get home out of New York City. I don't think most people felt "threatened" until after 9/11, and just now people are starting to feel more "threatened" again. Like, being Jewish, I fear going out on the streets in certain neighborhoods because of what Israel is doing to Lebanon. The late '90s felt much more safe.

I don't think Gen Z will be so much like that. They'll be like, the new Generation X, probably...they'll hate the materialism and pro-corporate/pro-technology Yers, who are basically boomer clones. I think they'll have a more "progressive" viewpoint, but also be more into tradition. Though they'll find the "rebellious through middle-age" Gen X parents ridiculous and rebel against them.

Both my parents are boomers, and I don't think they're retiring at 60 in 2015. My dad is a lawyer, and they don't retire, and my mom is a teacher, and so would feel no need to retire until she becomes unable to work. Alot of teachers stay on until they're like, 70, anyway.

The first people I think I can really relate to "as friends" are born around 1967. Like I'm friendly with some teachers born around then, but even they really are closer to my parent's age than mine, just because they remember the '70s. Also, Gen Xers around that age seem different both than boomers and later Xers. People born around 1973 are the first people who seem closer to my age than my parents, and people born around 1982 are the first people who seem "roughly my age."

I think people born in the mid-'90s, like 1996, will be the equivalent of people born around 1965-like Xers with some boomer and some X tastes. The people born around 1996 will probably sort of be Zers with boomer taste. I think that 1998 or so will be the first "really 2010s Gen Z" year.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/04/06 at 11:39 am

I was 16 and in h.s. when the first WTC bombing happened. Our class had just gotten back from NYC actually a week earlier (I did not go because I was sick as a dog) and were stuck in a blizzard. We were shocked for a day but seemed to move on rather quickly. Oklahoma city happened a month before I graduated from hs..didn't really seem to have an "adolescent scare" impact on me at age 18, though it was scary nonetheless. I grew up fearing the Soviets and Cold war turning hot, but that came to a pretty abrupt end right as I started high school..Aug-Dec. 1991 with the fall of the USSR (as such, my high school class of 1995 was the last to actually be in high school while the Soviet Union was still in any form of existence..and some say this is the dividing line between Gen X and Y..but I don't know about that..others say the class of '96 was the divding line since that was the last class to still be in high school during the Reagan-Bush era). The world events that marked my h.s./peak teen years: 1.Fall of USSR/true end of Cold War, 2. Somalian Crisis, 3. election of Clinton/end of Reagan Bush era 4. Bosnian War 5. WTC bombing, 6. Clinton Whitewater scandals, 7. OJ murder 8. Gingrich and "contract on America", 9. Chiapas rebellion in Mexico, 10. Chechnyan War starts, 11. OKC bombing

Written By: Dave79 on 08/04/06 at 2:57 pm

:o Look at all the replies since last night,, good info guys.. I will chime in now..

I guess I see abit of what is going on but... really.. how much in common does someone born in 46 have in common with someone born in 63. So many years of difference. They would have grew up in different decades.. and `64-80?  Way to many years again..  I mean really people born that many years part are supposed to like the samethings?  Again `81-95?  Wow talk about a difference for sure there..

I guess I would put theses more like. If I was going with Marty's table.
1946-51
1952-57
1958-63
1964-69
1970-75
1976-81
1982-87
1988-93
1994-99
2000-05
2006-11

I use 5 years because it seems 5 years is close enough fair relate to someone fairly well and share common experiences.  Still I think its all generalizing like Marty said.. 

--
Dave.

Written By: Ebontyne on 08/04/06 at 3:17 pm

I suppose so. I think about 1983 seems to be the first year with "Y" tastes, actually.

I would say that "tastes" are not that sharply and specifically demarcated.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/04/06 at 4:04 pm

:o Look at all the replies since last night,, good info guys.. I will chime in now..

I guess I see abit of what is going on but... really.. how much in common does someone born in 46 have in common with someone born in 63. So many years of difference. They would have grew up in different decades.. and `64-80?  Way to many years again..  I mean really people born that many years part are supposed to like the samethings?  Again `81-95?  Wow talk about a difference for sure there..

I guess I would put theses more like. If I was going with Marty's table.
1946-51
1952-57
1958-63
1964-69
1970-75
1976-81
1982-87
1988-93
1994-99
2000-05
2006-11

I use 5 years because it seems 5 years is close enough fair relate to someone fairly well and share common experiences.  Still I think its all generalizing like Marty said.. 

--
Dave.

Yeah, generations usaully cover pretty big streches and usually the people born at the beginning and end have little or nothing in common with each other, I mean '81-'95 is a long streach and an '81er would've been entering high school when the '95ers were born. That's why generations are easily divided into three parts early, peak, and mid. Like even though '81 and '95 are Y, when you think about Gen Y you generally think about those born 1986-1990 roughly.

But, even dividing them into 5 years is problematic. I really dont think '82ers and '87ers are that similar, niether are '88ers and '93ers IMO.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/04/06 at 5:40 pm

Yeah, generations usually cover pretty big streches and usually the people born at the beginning and end have little or nothing in common with each other, I mean '81-'95 is a long streach and an '81er would've been entering high school when the '95ers were born. That's why generations are easily divided into three parts early, peak, and mid. Like even though '81 and '95 are Y, when you think about Gen Y you generally think about those born 1986-1990 roughly.

But, even dividing them into 5 years is problematic. I really dont think '82ers and '87ers are that similar, niether are '88ers and '93ers IMO.

Not that I say they are in those exact years..  However, I was using Marty's table and putting it into 5 year segments, but really its all abunch of generalizing from what Ive seen. But I relate well with people within 4-5 years of my own age. But thats just me.

--
Dave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/04/06 at 7:17 pm

Not that I say they are in those exact years..   However, I was using Marty's table and putting it into 5 year segments, but really its all abunch of generalizing from what Ive seen. But I relate well with people within 4-5 years of my own age. But thats just me.

--
Dave.

I think that the subgroups of Gen Y are really:

Early-1981-1985
Mid-1986-1990
Late-1991-1995

As for Gen X,

Early-1964-1966
Brat Packer-1967-1972
Middle Bridge-1973-1975
'90s Teen/Late Gen X-1976-1980

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/05/06 at 2:35 am

I think that the subgroups of Gen Y are really:

Early-1981-1985
Mid-1986-1990
Late-1991-1995

As for Gen X,

Early-1964-1966
Brat Packer-1967-1972
Middle Bridge-1973-1975
'90s Teen/Late Gen X-1976-1980

I agree with this. That's the way I'd divide both X and Y that way. I also agree with Dave79 too that you tend to relate most to people born within 4 or 5 years of you. Within the groups I'd say the 1986-1990 group have the most in common. I do think there's a pretty big difference between 1991ers and 1995ers.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 5:02 am

I suppose so. I think about 1983 seems to be the first year with "Y" tastes, actually. Even somebody born in 1976 would not remember anything from before Reagan, so they wouldn't remember the "pre-Wal Mart days" so much.

There was also the whole first WTC bombing in 1993, on my dad's birthday, which I sort of vaguely remember, since we planned this whole celebration and it took him eons to get home out of New York City. I don't think most people felt "threatened" until after 9/11, and just now people are starting to feel more "threatened" again. Like, being Jewish, I fear going out on the streets in certain neighborhoods because of what Israel is doing to Lebanon. The late '90s felt much more safe.

I don't think Gen Z will be so much like that. They'll be like, the new Generation X, probably...they'll hate the materialism and pro-corporate/pro-technology Yers, who are basically boomer clones. I think they'll have a more "progressive" viewpoint, but also be more into tradition. Though they'll find the "rebellious through middle-age" Gen X parents ridiculous and rebel against them.

Both my parents are boomers, and I don't think they're retiring at 60 in 2015. My dad is a lawyer, and they don't retire, and my mom is a teacher, and so would feel no need to retire until she becomes unable to work. Alot of teachers stay on until they're like, 70, anyway.

The first people I think I can really relate to "as friends" are born around 1967. Like I'm friendly with some teachers born around then, but even they really are closer to my parent's age than mine, just because they remember the '70s. Also, Gen Xers around that age seem different both than boomers and later Xers. People born around 1973 are the first people who seem closer to my age than my parents, and people born around 1982 are the first people who seem "roughly my age."

I think people born in the mid-'90s, like 1996, will be the equivalent of people born around 1965-like Xers with some boomer and some X tastes. The people born around 1996 will probably sort of be Zers with boomer taste. I think that 1998 or so will be the first "really 2010s Gen Z" year.

I agree there's a slight divide I've personally noticed even inbetween the typical 1982er and 1983ers (although it's probably changed a bit by now, as opposed to when they were, say 15 in 1998. It's less noticeable now). Although yeah, I agree 1981-82ers have more "Generation X tastes and worldviews" mixed with Y personalities and traits (i.e. getting heavily into the Internet and chatrooms around 1997).

Yeah, I'd say typical retirement age is now around 72 instead of the traditional 65. Although, doesn't it seem like teachers are generally kinda younger as a whole these days? Most of my HS teachers were in the 25-late 30s range, with only one guy (whom I bonded with pretty well) notably older (he was around 56 in 1997, my Freshman year). I'm sure teachers probably do stay on longer in age, but maybe the older ones transfer to Elementary school since the atmosphere is more laid back? I actually do remember them being more middle aged as a kid.

The stereotypical "mean old lady teacher with a ruler beating on students' desks" seems like an early 20th Century thing. ;D

I agree about the friendship range too. It's really more like 20 years (although it depends person to person) for me to really look at someone as being a totally different generation. Maybe I'd revise the age range for me to be closer to 1960-1990ers. When I was 12, I made friends with a few of our adult neighbors in the complex I lived in in 1994 - one younger couple for instance, the guy was born in 1958 and the girl in '67 or so, and I thought of them as "older buddies".

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 5:15 am

^ 25-30??? Your school must've been very different to mine. At my school, the average age was about 55 or so, and the normal hair-colour grey (if they still had any hair left). I still find many teachers are still constrained (either by their laconic atittude, or refusal to change) by rather conservative teaching methods/approaches, and many never really engage with their students. I was lucky the teaching staff at my school were above average, and I'm thankful for what they taught me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 5:28 am

^ 25-30??? Your school must've been very different to mine. At my school, the average age was about 55 or so, and the normal hair-colour grey (if they still had any hair left). I still find many teachers are still constrained (either by their laconic atittude, or refusal to change) by rather conservative teaching methods/approaches, and many never really engage with their students. I was lucky the teaching staff at my school were above average, and I'm thankful for what they taught me.

That's good, I actually got along with my teachers pretty much all the time, too, but I think it's sorta unfortunate when some teachers are disinterested in their students. I can't pinpoint an example, but I do know the general type you're talking about.

Maybe I underestimated a little, lol. Most of mine were in their 30s, I just meant at the school in general. A few of the young ones were in the second half of their 20s, I'd say the median age were like 35 or so, altogether (ALOT early Gen Xers) c. 1998.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 6:03 am

That's good, I actually got along with my teachers pretty much all the time, too, but I think it's sorta unfortunate when some teachers are disinterested in their students. I can't pinpoint an example, but I do know the general type you're talking about.

Maybe I underestimated a little, lol. Most of mine were in their 30s, I just meant at the school in general. A few of the young ones were in the second half of their 20s, I'd say the median age were like 35 or so, altogether (ALOT early Gen Xers) c. 1998.

It might just be a local thing, but do you notice that with women (not really men), primary school teachers tend to be all married (Mrs this, Mrs that, lol), while High School teachers are usually divorced. In both most of the teachers were about the same age (35-60), but it seems most female high school teachers are divorced or unmarried, or want to keep their marital status private (for whatever reason). I wonder if this trend will change in the future as GenZ kids enter the education system, not that it has that much bearing on anything.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 6:10 am

It might just be a local thing, but do you notice that with women (not really men), primary school teachers tend to be all married (Mrs this, Mrs that, lol), while High School teachers are usually divorced. In both most of the teachers were about the same age (35-60), but it seems most female high school teachers are divorced or unmarried, or want to keep their marital status private (for whatever reason). I wonder if this trend will change in the future as GenZ kids enter the education system, not that it has that much bearing on anything.

Hmm, never thought about that, but I think you might be right. My female HS teachers, a few of them I know, weren't divored, but a couple were on their second marriage where the guy wasn't the father of their kids, etc.

The typical teacher range (assuming nothing's changed much since 2000, when I graduated) is probably 1955-late 70s born people.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/06/06 at 1:24 pm

I agree there's a slight divide I've personally noticed even inbetween the typical 1982er and 1983ers (although it's probably changed a bit by now, as opposed to when they were, say 15 in 1998. It's less noticeable now). Although yeah, I agree 1981-82ers have more "Generation X tastes and worldviews" mixed with Y personalities and traits (i.e. getting heavily into the Internet and chatrooms around 1997).

Yeah, I'd say typical retirement age is now around 72 instead of the traditional 65. Although, doesn't it seem like teachers are generally kinda younger as a whole these days? Most of my HS teachers were in the 25-late 30s range, with only one guy (whom I bonded with pretty well) notably older (he was around 56 in 1997, my Freshman year). I'm sure teachers probably do stay on longer in age, but maybe the older ones transfer to Elementary school since the atmosphere is more laid back? I actually do remember them being more middle aged as a kid.

The stereotypical "mean old lady teacher with a ruler beating on students' desks" seems like an early 20th Century thing. ;D

I agree about the friendship range too. It's really more like 20 years (although it depends person to person) for me to really look at someone as being a totally different generation. Maybe I'd revise the age range for me to be closer to 1960-1990ers. When I was 12, I made friends with a few of our adult neighbors in the complex I lived in in 1994 - one younger couple for instance, the guy was born in 1958 and the girl in '67 or so, and I thought of them as "older buddies".

Hey Marty nice to see ya chime in again..  You guys seem to have degres in this stuff.  8)

The 81-82/3 thing comes up again..  Well I know a few people in that age group and since I know more about this I kind of see how its a toss up.. I know 2 81'ers, an 82'er and 2 83'ers. One 81'er seems wayyyy different then my self and is into anything new and pop, Gangster rap..arg.. however the other one is almost totally different then the first 81'er and relates more to me.. the 82'er is right down the middle and seems abit out place to me, but again I can related to him. and one 83'er seems more like myself and I relate better to him, the other is more like the first 81'er and is totaly different.. I dont know if this could have anything to do with it but the first 83'er started school one year earlier then the 2nd he started school the next year cause his birthday is in October... so I see why this topic is confusing!  ???

I will once again try and make since of this..

80-82/3  They are such a toss up really can go either way..    I think I'm going to give up trying to figure them out!  :o

70-72/3  Again a toss up because some relate better with 60's'ers, others more my age {78'er!}  ;)

Not that I cant get along with the earlier ( like Marty says ) even later groups.. its just that I relate better with those in that 4/5 within my age group..    As for the X and Y thing trying to place anyone in a stupid group is very over generalizing , because everyone is different no matter when you were born!

--
Dave.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/06/06 at 1:27 pm

Yea many of my teachers were around this age group as well, Trimac20. A few older few younger but the mean was around 55 or so.

--
Dave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/06/06 at 2:31 pm

My teachers last year were 33, 39, in their late 50s, 35ish, late 40s, and 31, actually. 

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/06/06 at 6:17 pm

I'd say I can relate to anyone born between 1971-1991. Anybody younger or older than that justs seems 'out of my range' if you know what I mean. I'd say I relate the best to people born between 1981-1991.

Most of my teachers were about 30ish only a few of them were in there 50s or 60s. And there are a few slight differences between the average '82er and average '83er. 1983 as a birthyear is sort of an in between year, in that 1982 is more X overall and 1984 is more Y overall, 1983 seems sort of split down the middle, if you know what I mean.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/06/06 at 7:13 pm

Hey Marty nice to see ya chime in again..  You guys seem to have degres in this stuff.  8)

The 81-82/3 thing comes up again..   Well I know a few people in that age group and since I know more about this I kind of see how its a toss up.. I know 2 81'ers, an 82'er and 2 83'ers. One 81'er seems wayyyy different then my self and is into anything new and pop, Gangster rap..arg.. however the other one is almost totally different then the first 81'er and relates more to me.. the 82'er is right down the middle and seems abit out place to me, but again I can related to him. and one 83'er seems more like myself and I relate better to him, the other is more like the first 81'er and is totaly different.. I dont know if this could have anything to do with it but the first 83'er started school one year earlier then the 2nd he started school the next year cause his birthday is in October... so I see why this topic is confusing!  ???

I will once again try and make since of this..

80-82/3  They are such a toss up really can go either way..    I think I'm going to give up trying to figure them out!  :o

70-72/3  Again a toss up because some relate better with 60's'ers, others more my age {78'er!}  ;)

Not that I cant get along with the earlier ( like Marty says ) even later groups.. its just that I relate better with those in that 4/5 within my age group..    As for the X and Y thing trying to place anyone in a stupid group is very over generalizing , because everyone is different no matter when you were born!

--
Dave.

Thanks man, I do my best. ;) I suppose I've had alot of time to think about this stuff over the years! Little things will make me wonder, etc. so some of what I say might just be from my own experiences.

Yeah, I'll even say people my exact age are "on the fence". I've met quite a few who were like Eminem-ish white rapper dudes, while others seem very old school. I'm talking about personality too, as well as what they remember or what they like.

However, I've never recalled hearing another '81er say the '80s was "old" or "before their time" etc. (even if they may have laughed at or been embarrased by some individual things). Most can at least feel at home with, say 1989.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/06/06 at 9:24 pm

Thanks man, I do my best. ;) I suppose I've had alot of time to think about this stuff over the years! Little things will make me wonder, etc. so some of what I say might just be from my own experiences.

Yeah, I'll even say people my exact age are "on the fence". I've met quite a few who were like Eminem-ish white rapper dudes, while others seem very old school. I'm talking about personality too, as well as what they remember or what they like.

However, I've never recalled hearing another '81er say the '80s was "old" or "before their time" etc. (even if they may have laughed at or been embarrased by some individual things). Most can at least feel at home with, say 1989.

I think it sort of goes the same way with people around my age about the '90s. We'd probably be totally at home with 1995-1997, for example, and to a lesser extent the earlier '90s, due to being exposed to them after they were over.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/06/06 at 9:56 pm

I think it sort of goes the same way with people around my age about the '90s. We'd probably be totally at home with 1995-1997, for example, and to a lesser extent the earlier '90s, due to being exposed to them after they were over.

Yeah, I've often feel I remember the very late 80s/early 90s much better than I actually do - mainly from watching TV shows, movies, and being exposed to the cultural idioms of the times. I suspect it might be the same with those born in 1990 and the mid 90s.

Written By: Dave79 on 08/06/06 at 11:10 pm

Yea I'm sure they do.  I myself "feel at home" with about anything `84/85+  Back To the Future was probably my first really big movie that I loved and could enjoy when it came out, being I went to see it four or so times.  ;) I remember going to see Return of the Jedi   but was somewhat young and didn't get all that was going on until we rented it on tape. But there is so much stuff to go into, but I'll save that for another day..

--
Dave.

Written By: velvetoneo on 08/06/06 at 11:57 pm

Yeah, I've often feel I remember the very late 80s/early 90s much better than I actually do - mainly from watching TV shows, movies, and being exposed to the cultural idioms of the times. I suspect it might be the same with those born in 1990 and the mid 90s.

I think some of it is observing unconsciously the way people dressed, the way cars look, the music coming out on the radio, etc. It gives you a syntax within which to place things you don't actually remember.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/07/06 at 1:48 am

Yeah, its the same with me as well. I feel like I can remember say 1990(for example) very well, even though since I was only 3 I really can't(and I only have a few real memories from that year). It's just that 1990 dosent feel like a year that's totally 'out of my reach', and that even though I was really young I almost feel 'at home' with it in a way if you know what I mean. I suppose it would be the same way with you and say 1985 Marty?

Check for new replies or respond here...