inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Manhole cover theft safety risk

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/07/06 at 12:33 pm

Thieves stealing drain covers for their scrap metal value are putting motorists and pedestrians at risk.

Fourteen grates and one manhole cover have been stolen from Newham, east London, leaving "dangerous holes" in the road.

Newham Council in London, UK, said culprits could be charged with interfering with safety equipment, which carries a jail term.

Streets in Stratford, Forest Gate, West Ham and Canning Town have been worst affected by the thefts.

Deputy mayor councillor Christine Bowden said: "The thieves are risking people's lives for the sake of their own selfish gain.

"They are leaving dangerous holes in the ground that put pedestrians, especially the most vulnerable, at risk of falling into them.

"They could also cause great damage to vehicles."

Subject: Re: Manhole cover theft safety risk

Written By: danootaandme on 08/07/06 at 3:42 pm

That has got to be one of the top stupid ideas I have ever heard. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/07/06 at 3:45 pm

That has got to be one of the top stupid ideas I have ever heard. 

Yeah well, there's a lot of really stupid people in the world.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/07/06 at 6:36 pm

The biggest safety problem with this is getting a hernia.  :P

You ever try to pick up one of those suckers?  They weigh like 400 pounds.  :o

Written By: danootaandme on 08/07/06 at 6:57 pm

Well, there is also falling in, or driving in, one.  Little more than a hernia there.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/07/06 at 10:49 pm

You ever try to pick up one of those suckers?  They weigh like 400 pounds.  :o

Remember the scourge of thieves in Baltimore stealing utility poles?  Utility poles?  It wasn't just the one pole, it was a couple of dozen.  Who were these thieves who could so deftly extract a fifty-foot utility pole from its foundation, dismantle it, and haul it away...and nobody ever saw a thing!

It would be easier to steal utility access covers, but it would still require incredible strength, speed, and stealth!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/06 at 1:09 am

Yeah well, there's a lot of really stupid people in the world.
There are a lot of clever stupid people in the World.

Written By: Gis on 08/08/06 at 6:21 am

"They are leaving dangerous holes in the ground that put pedestrians, especially the most vulnerable, at risk of falling into them.

"They could also cause great damage to vehicles."

Amen to that, I nearly broke my leg falling down a manhole on Christmas eve one year. Someone thought it was funny to remove all the covers. I was damn lucky it was very icy as my other leg slid out on the ice when I lost my balance, a good skin full of alcohol probably helped as well.  ;D
It took over a year for the bruise to work it's way out from my shinbone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/08/06 at 12:56 pm

Amen to that, I nearly broke my leg falling down a manhole on Christmas eve one year. Someone thought it was funny to remove all the covers. I was damn lucky it was very icy as my other leg slid out on the ice when I lost my balance, a good skin full of alcohol probably helped as well.  ;D
It took over a year for the bruise to work it's way out from my shinbone.
Claims Direct?

Written By: Marian on 08/08/06 at 2:54 pm

Remember the scourge of thieves in Baltimore stealing utility poles?  Utility poles?  It wasn't just the one pole, it was a couple of dozen.  Who were these thieves who could so deftly extract a fifty-foot utility pole from its foundation, dismantle it, and haul it away...and nobody ever saw a thing!

It would be easier to steal utility access covers, but it would still require incredible strength, speed, and stealth!
In the Bay Area,there's a rash of power lines being stolen,because the price of scrap copper is over 4$.00 a pound.A bicycling event had to be scaled back because theives stole the copper wiring from the velodrome,meaning they can't compete at night.I guess they didn't have any events for blind cyclists here.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/08/06 at 3:57 pm

In the Bay Area,there's a rash of power lines being stolen,because the price of scrap copper is over $.00 a pound.A bicycling event had to be scaled back because theives stole the copper wiring from the velodrome,meaning they can't compete at night.I guess they didn't have any events for blind cyclists here.

If you try and steal a power line, you might get more than you bargained for!

Copper fetches a good price on the scrap market.  It seems when scavengers get to an abandoned building, anything copper is first to go!

Written By: Marian on 08/10/06 at 2:50 pm

If you try and steal a power line, you might get more than you bargained for!

Copper fetches a good price on the scrap market.  It seems when scavengers get to an abandoned building, anything copper is first to go!
I read most coper thieves are meth addicts--that must explain why they don't care too much about electrocution.

Written By: robby76 on 08/11/06 at 12:06 pm

This problem is pretty major outside of the UK too. I've seen them use a different type of material now for drain covers... can't explain it... it's like thick carpet material... but not. I sound really thick don't I...  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...