inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What is one Noise that makes u CRINGE!!!!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/10/06 at 2:53 am

Well, I happened to think of this as I am up watching the tele... Wll Normally, I would pick my alarm clock that makes me cringe but... In honor of what I am watching right now.... I HAVE TO USE CAPS FOR THIS:  I HATE THE SMACKING SOUND PEOPLE MAKE IN MOVIES OR TELE WHEN THEY KISS.... LOL...  I mean, its so gross.... LOl... Just thought it would make an interesting t :-\\opic

Subject: Re: What is one Noise that makes u CRINGE!!!!

Written By: bj26 on 08/10/06 at 10:49 am

Well, I happened to think of this as I am up watching the tele... Wll Normally, I would pick my alarm clock that makes me cringe but... In honor of what I am watching right now.... I HAVE TO USE CAPS FOR THIS:  I HATE THE SMACKING SOUND PEOPLE MAKE IN MOVIES OR TELE WHEN THEY KISS.... LOL...  I mean, its so gross.... LOl... Just thought it would make an interesting t :-\\opic
Probably their mouths are so dry they smack from all the rehearsal scenes, lol, yuk. I'll never forget a sound like grease popping in a frying pan I heard right before lightning struck a tree about 50 feet from where I stood.

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/10/06 at 12:10 pm

The sound of people cracking their knuckles-ugh!!

Written By: KKay on 08/10/06 at 12:14 pm

sounds i hate...

I HATE the kissing sound too...gross.
any chewing sound, especially people that can't put popcorn intheir mouth and bite the first time with thier mouths closed...it's put in, bite (noise), close, chew. wrong. Put in, close mouth, shut up.
styrofoam rubbing
any silverware on plates
and why why why should your fork EVER touch your teeth?

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/10/06 at 11:27 pm

Probably their mouths are so dry they smack from all the rehearsal scenes, lol, yuk. I'll never forget a sound like grease popping in a frying pan I heard right before lightning struck a tree about 50 feet from where I stood.

OH MY!!! Thanks goodness it didnt hit u but I can see how u would hate that noise.... I would never be able to forget that noise!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/10/06 at 11:31 pm

sounds i hate...

I HATE the kissing sound too...gross.
any chewing sound, especially people that can't put popcorn intheir mouth and bite the first time with thier mouths closed...it's put in, bite (noise), close, chew. wrong. Put in, close mouth, shut up.
styrofoam rubbing
any silverware on plates
and why why why should your fork EVER touch your teeth?

LOL, i hate that noise of the fork hitting the teeth... LOL  the styrofoam doesnt bother me but my boyfriend DETESTS that sound... LOL... I think its funny... I agree with the other person that said knuckles being cracked and I remember when my baby brother < who will be 30 soon, man Im old LOL> was  younger and trying to learn to whistle, I hated it then and to this day, people who whistle off tune... LOL

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/06 at 2:12 pm

The sound of Ice cracking

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/12/06 at 2:43 pm

The drivers of cars sounding their horns at any time of the day.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/06 at 4:24 pm

1. The sound of my brother-in-law's rock band practicing.  It kills vegetation.  Dogs writhe in agony!
2. Overhearing people having sex when they are people you don't want to even think about having sex!

Written By: KKay on 08/12/06 at 8:27 pm

1. The sound of my brother-in-law's rock band practicing.  It kills vegetation.  Dogs writhe in agony!

to add to that- when someone i practicing something and consistently gets one note wrong and does it over and over and over....on a very loud instrument

my husband does this with a tin whistle.
i want to poke my self in the neck with a penciil.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/06 at 9:51 pm

to add to that- when someone i practicing something and consistently gets one note wrong and does it over and over and over....on a very loud instrument

my husband does this with a tin whistle.
i want to poke my self in the neck with a penciil.

A tin ear for tin whistle?
:-\\

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/12/06 at 11:48 pm

2. Overhearing people having sex when they are people you don't want to even think about having sex!

LOL.. I agree with u too, I hate when U hear people having sex and they are like  weird peole u know or worse, Family members!!! LOL

I also HATE the sound of the dumb neighbors 2 dogs!!! he leaves them out all day long and they bark like mad when I get sleep on my days off...!  ARGH!

Written By: whistledog on 08/12/06 at 11:50 pm

I also HATE the sound of the dumb neighbors 2 dogs!!! he leaves them out all day long and they bark like mad when I get sleep on my days off...!  ARGH!

I used to get that too .. the noise of the neighbour's dogs, so one night, I tossed some chili over the fence, and they ate it, and ended up leaving poop all over their yard.  The next morning, I could hear the neighbour's bitching over it ;D

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/13/06 at 2:36 am

I used to get that too .. the noise of the neighbour's dogs, so one night, I tossed some chili over the fence, and they ate it, and ended up leaving poop all over their yard.  The next morning, I could hear the neighbour's bitching over it ;D

LOL.. LMAO!  thats so bad.. dotn give me any ideas... LOL

Written By: Dave79 on 08/13/06 at 6:57 pm

I hear dogs barking all night thats something I really hate.

--
Dave.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/14/06 at 1:50 am

i hate the sound of fingernails being clipped.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/14/06 at 1:50 am

I hear dogs barking all night thats something I really hate.

--
Dave.

well who likes it?  loL.. IT IS AN AWFUL SOUND, THAT IS WHY i will never get another pooch.. < at least for a while> I do love dogs though

Written By: Dave79 on 08/14/06 at 11:25 pm

well who likes it?  loL.. IT IS AN AWFUL SOUND, THAT IS WHY i will never get another pooch.. < at least for a while> I do love dogs though

Funny you ask that one, I know someone that can't sleep without the sound..  at times I think shes just insane..  ???

--
Dave.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/15/06 at 2:50 am

Funny you ask that one, I know someone that can't sleep without the sound..  at times I think shes just insane..   ???

--
Dave.

Youre serious????? I cannot believe someone likes that noise.. She can come live on my street, every and I mean every house has a dog, 1/2 of them have 2!!!!  Its like stereo when the poor mail carrier comes down our street.. I would carry water balloons or one of those whistles that drive the dogs nuts where they run and hide! LOL

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/15/06 at 4:39 am

I can't stand fingernails being filed.
And the weird sounds I hear at night when I'm home alone, like tonight. Every creak is either a ghost or one of the neighbors coming to kill me for making fun of them all the time.

Written By: Mr Tumnus on 08/15/06 at 7:12 am

that sloppy clacking sound some people make when eating with their mouths wide open, drives me to distraction  >:(

Written By: Paul on 08/15/06 at 7:47 am

Two for the price of one!

Fireworks...

..'specially those ones that set off with a high-pitched squeal...

And people who, when they yawn, decide that everyone else within a half-mile radius has to hear it (my father does this even now...I don't know how my Ma puts up with it!)

Written By: Mushroom on 08/15/06 at 9:58 am

Milo: You think you are so cool, don't you? You think you are so cool. But just once, I would like to hear you scream in pain...
Joe Hallenbeck: Play some rap music.

Bruce Willis from The Last Boy Scout

Written By: bj26 on 08/15/06 at 12:42 pm

The crunch sound when I crunch down on egg shell in deviled eggs or scrambled or anykind :P

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/15/06 at 4:16 pm

Two for the price of one!

Fireworks...

..'specially those ones that set off with a high-pitched squeal...

And people who, when they yawn, decide that everyone else within a half-mile radius has to hear it (my father does this even now...I don't know how my Ma puts up with it!)

I actually like that sound

Here's other sounds I hate- that static-type noise made by speakers, my computer speakers do that when I turn the volume nob on it!! Also, the sound of girls in my class screaming SO F*CKING LOUD that it puts them on the same pitch level as a parrot

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/15/06 at 9:39 pm

That sound that the old dial up modems made when they connected.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/15/06 at 10:22 pm

The crunch sound when I crunch down on egg shell in deviled eggs or scrambled or anykind :P

YUCK :P :P :P...lol.... that is sick!

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/06 at 2:27 am

I have not heard that sound for ages.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/24/06 at 3:19 am

I still hear the sound of dial up.... Yuck right?

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/24/06 at 3:44 am

the sound that styrofoam makes when it's rubbed or whatever is pretty brutal  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/24/06 at 5:49 am

Chalk on a blackboard, if held at the wrong angle.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/24/06 at 2:13 pm

the sound that styrofoam makes when it's rubbed or whatever is pretty brutal  :P

LOL  my boyfriend hates that noise too.. Makes him crazy so what do I do?????????? I make sure hes around whenever i have the chance to lay my hands on some...  i also hate the noise of people biting their nails... Thats sick in MY BOOK!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 08/25/06 at 5:57 pm

2 that I hate are:

Cats in heat when they are fighting/mating outside

When tires squeal on the road as brakes are slammed on.  I keep waiting for the inevitable crash of two cars meeting each other, but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/25/06 at 5:58 pm

My next-door neighbor's bratty demonic spawn.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/25/06 at 8:43 pm

The sound of a Heart-beat - for some reason, I just can't stand the sound of a heart beating...

Nails on the chalkboard, metal on porcelain/ceramics/Grinding noises

Slurping noises (unless I'm doing the slurping, lol)

Squelching noises, farting.etc

Dogs barking, people incessantly practising their musical instruments, loud brass instruments

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/25/06 at 9:49 pm

My next-door neighbor's bratty demonic spawn.

LOL... I LOVE IT! ;D

Written By: ktelqueen on 08/25/06 at 9:53 pm

LOL  my boyfriend hates that noise too.. Makes him crazy so what do I do?????????? I make sure hes around whenever i have the chance to lay my hands on some... 

kelly girl..you're evil!! :o ;D

Cats in heat when they are fighting/mating outside

ewww..good one..try being on the phone at your friend's place..talking to your mom on the phone..and having it happen right before your eyes..my mom:WHAT is THAT noise?classy.beautiful.eww.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/06 at 3:10 am

The sound of a Heart-beat - for some reason, I just can't stand the sound of a heart beating...

Yours or someone elses heartbeat?

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 08/26/06 at 5:43 am

For some reason, the sound of doors repeatedly being open and closed drives me absolutely crazy!!!  :D And of course, the annoying sound of those obnoxious car alarms!!!  :o And people talking loudly on their cell phones, engaging in inane conversations about the bunion on their foot or the odd hair growing out of the mole on their chin, that I could care less about, which I am forced to listen to while in public places!!!  >:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/06 at 10:20 am

The clunking sound of the wheels of a suitcase (with wheels) been pulled along a pavement (sidewalk)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 10:58 pm

"Hi, I'm David Oreck..."
::)

Written By: kellygoo72 on 08/26/06 at 11:09 pm

kelly girl..you're evil!! :o ;D

ewww..good one..try being on the phone at your friend's place..talking to your mom on the phone..and having it happen right before your eyes..my mom:WHAT is THAT noise?classy.beautiful.eww.

I know I am,  I told him that I do it on purpose and hes like, ur a witch... LOL.. I know alot of people dont like that noise and it doesnt mind me at all...
The sound of teenage girls squealing on like tv or something is awful to me too... I shouldnt say that though, I was once one of them!!!!

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 09/07/06 at 7:29 pm

I still use dial-up...if the sounds coming from the modem sound different than usual, I know the darned thing didn't connect to AOL properly, which is why I have several local AOL connect numbers set up...two from Atlantic City and three from Pleasantville.

I hate the noise of a car that has a bad muffler...and barking dogs at night. But gunshots really drive me nuts, when I lived in Atlantic City, I heard them every day(Yes some parts of Atlantic City are that bad!)

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/07/06 at 10:06 pm

Hey, I miss the dial-up tones!  Sounds like some of that electronic music from Montreal they send me!

What I hate is the NPR "All Things Considered" music.  It's been basically the same for 35 years--blatty and stupid!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/07/06 at 11:53 pm

Hey, I miss the dial-up tones!  Sounds like some of that electronic music from Montreal they send me!

What I hate is the NPR "All Things Considered" music.  It's been basically the same for 35 years--blatty and stupid!

NPR??????/  I didnt know that was still on?  I used to listen to that in ages!

That sound of the emergency broadcast test is really annoying as well :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/08/06 at 12:34 am

NPR??????/  I didnt know that was still on?  I used to listen to that in ages!

That sound of the emergency broadcast test is really annoying as well :P

It's just the Emergency Alert System now.  You hear a series of tones and that's it.  They don't give the whole spiel about what you would hear in an actual emergency anymore.  That was the old EBS.

Written By: nupur on 09/10/06 at 5:31 pm

yes yes yes...my uncle does this and it drives me insane :o

Written By: Jessica on 09/10/06 at 6:00 pm

I do a sort of Tarzan yell when I yawn. But that's only if I'm super tired or just wanting to be irritating.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/06 at 12:36 am

the noise guys make when they clear their sinuses but their sinuses never get clear so they keep clearing them and clearing them and clearing them and clearing them...the wheezing nasal passages, the grinding of the uvula and soft palate, the esophageal grunting...on and on and on and on....makes me want make them snort drain-o at gunpoint!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hmh.gif

Written By: karen on 09/11/06 at 7:55 am

the noise guys make when they clear their sinuses but their sinuses never get clear so they keep clearing them and clearing them and clearing them and clearing them...the wheezing nasal passages, the grinding of the uvula and soft palate, the esophageal grunting...on and on and on and on....makes me want make them snort drain-o at gunpoint!!!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/12/hmh.gif

I was at an orienteering event a while ago waiting to start.  (Just a quick explanation about the start procedure so it all makes sense.  You start at one minute intervals but are first called up with about 3 minutes to go and then move forward into the next box a minute later.  There are generally about 6-10 people waiting to start in each box.)  Anyway at this particular event in the box behind me there was the woman who cleared her throat so noisily about every 20 seconds.  She didn't ever spit, just loud sniff, throat growl, pause... (presumably whilst she swallowed it), loud sniff, throat growl etc.  It did not help me focus my mind on the forthcoming race I'll tell you.  It took every ounce of my willpower not to turn around and yell at her!!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/11/06 at 11:31 am

-My next door neighbor's voice.
-My cat when he is just about ready to up-chuck.  :P

Cat

Written By: KKay on 09/11/06 at 12:00 pm

my co-worker's voice...(put on edith bunker accent)...."I LOOKED!!! DERE AINT NUTTIN' IN DERE!!!

like a cat in a blender.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/06 at 3:12 pm

my co-worker's voice...(put on edith bunker accent)...."I LOOKED!!! DERE AINT NUTTIN' IN DERE!!!

like a cat in a blender.

Ever heard Bobby Kennedy, Jr.'s voice?  He talks like Katherine Hepburn with a sore throat.  At the same time as I admire RFK JR for overcoming a terrible speech impediment to the point where he can speak publically and host a radio program, I find his voice nerve-wracking after a while. 

I was at an orienteering event a while ago waiting to start.  (Just a quick explanation about the start procedure so it all makes sense.  You start at one minute intervals but are first called up with about 3 minutes to go and then move forward into the next box a minute later.  There are generally about 6-10 people waiting to start in each box.)  Anyway at this particular event in the box behind me there was the woman who cleared her throat so noisily about every 20 seconds.  She didn't ever spit, just loud sniff, throat growl, pause... (presumably whilst she swallowed it), loud sniff, throat growl etc.  It did not help me focus my mind on the forthcoming race I'll tell you.  It took every ounce of my willpower not to turn around and yell at her!!

Two great comedic uses--

Sinus clearing:  scene in Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, with Steve Martin and John Candy, in which Neil Page and Del Griffith end up sharing the same bed in a Kansas roach motel.  Candy does the best snorting and gurgling act, it's the final straw for Martin's character, the first time Neil Page flips out!

Throat clearing:  The "Ann Elk (Mrs.)" character from one of the many "chat show" sketches on Monty Python's Flying Circus.  That's one you just have to see!
;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/11/06 at 3:16 pm

Someone throwing up (including myself, which I've done numerous times this weekend).  I hate that

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/06 at 3:23 pm

Someone throwing up (including myself, which I've done numerous times this weekend).  I hate that

From imbibing or from illness?
???

I know both too well!  What I hate a hundred times more than the sound is waking up with that certain dreadful feeling.  You know you're in for the compulsory and nasty gastroesophageal chore...better step briskly!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/14/puke.gif

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 09/11/06 at 3:29 pm

From imbibing or from illness?
???

illness, I haven't drank alcoholic stuff in years.

Written By: Suicidal Blonde on 09/11/06 at 4:29 pm

My bosses voice

Written By: La Roche on 09/11/06 at 6:05 pm

When you missjudge your gear change and you get that *crruunkkkcch* noise from the transmission.  :P
It's such a horrible sound because you know it's causing damage.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/11/06 at 8:12 pm

When you missjudge your gear change and you get that *crruunkkkcch* noise from the transmission.  :P

As we used to catcall to drivers...
"Can't find 'em, grind 'em!"
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/13/laughing7.gif

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/11/06 at 8:18 pm

The sound of polystyrene. The stuff of the devil (or something like that)!

Screeching sounds: cars slamming breaks (waiting for a crash sound afterwards...), sharp objects scratching against something, etc.

Loud beeps: well they don't make me cringe, but they are very annoying.

Yes, and throwing up. Worse is seeing someone throw up makes me fell like doing it. 

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/12/06 at 1:07 pm

The voice of that dang Nancy Grace... YUCK :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/12/06 at 1:30 pm

The whine from those motorbikes that have smaller engines.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/12/06 at 4:27 pm

The interruption of "call waiting."  I hate "call waiting."  I won't have it on my phone line. I can only thing one handle at a time!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/07/phone.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/13/06 at 10:49 am

The voice of that dang Nancy Grace... YUCK :P

I refuse to watch her. Can't stand her voice, can't stand her!

Along those lines-Gilbert Godfried. He has to have the world's most annoying voice.

Cat

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/13/06 at 10:05 pm

I refuse to watch her. Can't stand her voice, can't stand her!

Along those lines-Gilbert Godfried. He has to have the world's most annoying voice.

Cat

LOL.. I totally agree with u... I think she is such a pain in the u know!!!!  Horrible creature!

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/14/06 at 11:37 am

LOL.. I totally agree with u... I think she is such a pain in the u know!!!!  Horrible creature!

This was in the paper this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_re_us/mother_s_suicide_8

I hope she has trouble sleeping.  >:( >:(

Cat

Written By: danootaandme on 09/15/06 at 4:45 pm

The whine from those motorbikes that have smaller engines.

Two strokes....Suzukis are the worst. 

Written By: Abix on 09/16/06 at 9:24 pm

nails on a chalkboard
a dentist's drill
the crunch of hitting another car in an accident.

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/16/06 at 11:07 pm

This was in the paper this morning.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060914/ap_on_re_us/mother_s_suicide_8

I hope she has trouble sleeping.  >:( >:(

Cat

I heard about this... U know, the way people push, this is what can happen....

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/16/06 at 11:45 pm

I heard about this... U know, the way people push, this is what can happen....

She named her kid "Trenton," I guess to go along with his sibs, "Albany," "Harrisburg," and "Hartford."

"How now? A rat? Dead, for a Duckett, dead!"

Written By: Red Ant on 09/17/06 at 2:31 am

More than one sound:

Crickets chirping at night. Dogs will eventually STFU, but crickets keep going until sun up. More irritating that cringe-inducing.

Uncontrolled feedback on an amplifier.

99.999% of all cell phone ringtones.

Or better (worse) yet, attempting shifting w/o the clutch at the wrong RPM and hearing the synchonizers spin like nuts to try to make the shift. That's why sequential transmissions (found on most motorcycles) rule; none of that irritating "WHHHHHHHHHHHHIIIIIIIIIIIIRRRRR!".

Written By: Ainc Germarn on 09/17/06 at 4:46 pm

The sound of the Crazy Frog.

And also the sound of Paul and Barry Chuckle "to me, to you-ing" with each other.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/17/06 at 9:54 pm

Car alarms, James Blunt's voice, and those smileys on MySpace

Written By: karen on 09/18/06 at 7:49 am

And also the sound of Paul and Barry Chuckle "to me, to you-ing" with each other.

The Chuckle Brothers - full stop!

Written By: RheemO on 09/20/06 at 3:29 am

Peoplle who think they know what they're talking about on forum boards when in reality, they no not!!:!!

I leave for abit, come back in for a peak, and nothings changed!!:!!  Where is Skunch--the voice of reason?? LMMFAO :D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 3:40 am

Peoplle who think they know what they're talking about on forum boards when in reality, they no not!!:!!

I leave for abit, come back in for a peak, and nothings changed!!:!!  Where is Skunch--the voice of reason?? LMMFAO :D

You spelled peek wrong, dude. 

Written By: whistledog on 09/20/06 at 3:41 am

You might be one of those people.  What are you are talking about ???

Written By: RheemO on 09/20/06 at 4:02 am

I spelled it that way for a reason, you'd have to be peak'n to even come back in here after the totaly moronic replies i was getting to my posts!!  I was trying to get people to think about a month ago or so and i failed!!:!!

Written By: bj26 on 09/20/06 at 6:54 am

The sounds of various alerts on the computer especially the one when you make an error and it goes 'Boumpfh' :o

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/20/06 at 9:45 am

I spelled it that way for a reason, you'd have to be peak'n to even come back in here after the totaly moronic replies i was getting to my posts!!  I was trying to get people to think about a month ago or so and i failed!!:!!

Be quiet.

Written By: RheemO on 09/20/06 at 4:57 pm

Right is Might is Tight!!:!!

Written By: OBIX DOXUS on 09/22/06 at 4:14 pm

nails on a chalkboard
a dentist's drill
the crunch of hitting another car in an accident.

Hi Abix, do you like the Pussycat Dolls?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/29/06 at 11:55 pm

Al Franken singing

Written By: kellygoo72 on 09/30/06 at 12:40 am

Al Franken singing

LOL.... I have never heard him sing but..... Ill take ur word for it...

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/30/06 at 2:58 am

Other people's alarm clocks

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/02/06 at 1:41 am

Other people's alarm clocks

I don't mind other people's alarm clocks, it's my own I can't stand!

LOL.... I have never heard him sing but..... Ill take ur word for it...

He has piano accompanied songs for regular guests on his show.  For instance, Christy Harvey from the Center for American Progress.
To the tune of "Misty,"
"Talk to me, talk to me about the right-wing....dishonesty/
Talk to me....
(da da da, can't remember the lyrics)/
She's Christy, Christy Harvey is here!"

(then he does a tinkley little run down the piano keyboard)
Picture Cookie Monster as a lounge singer.  It's something like that!  It's not supposed to be like Old Blue Eyes or something, it's supposed to be witty and a bit goofy.  But it's not.  It's just effing annoying!  I'd email him and tell him so, but even if he read the email over the air, he'd make up an excruciating song about me!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/elkgrin.gif

Written By: spaceace on 10/03/06 at 7:19 pm

People popping their gum.  Loud bass music in a car outside when I'm trying to sleep.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/06 at 1:33 am

Certain songs of Elvis Presley

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/04/06 at 1:33 am

People popping their gum.  Loud bass music in a car outside when I'm trying to sleep.

I have to agree on the bass in cars.. I hate that noise.. Its so annoying... I always say as they pass me by " I hope u get a flat!"LOL

I know what u mean about the popping gum but I must admit, I was really bad at doing that and have since weened nyself off it, my boyfirend hates it.. Im still a closet gum popper.. :P

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 1:45 am

Somebody slurping hot tea in a quiet room while I'm trying to read the paper.
>:(

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/06 at 1:47 am

Somebody slurping hot tea in a quiet room while I'm trying to read the paper.
>:(
It can be the same slurping with soup with me!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 1:56 am

It can be the same slurping with soup with me!

Yeah, soup is very similar.  Both my dad and my brother used to slurp it off the spoon.  I hated that!  My dad had better manners, he just didn't care to exercise them!

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/06 at 2:01 am

Yeah, soup is very similar.  Both my dad and my brother used to slurp it off the spoon.  I hated that!  My dad had better manners, he just didn't care to exercise them!
One easy solution is to blow (quietly) on to soup in the spoon raised infront of the mouth.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 2:35 am

One easy solution is to blow (quietly) on to soup in the spoon raised infront of the mouth.

My grandmother always admonished me to dip the soup spoon in an outward fashion.  This discourages a waterwheel manner of eating soup, as when you lean over the bowl with the wrist bent varus!

Written By: KKay on 10/04/06 at 8:26 am

the printer jam alarm in the computer room at work

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/06 at 10:16 am

My grandmother always admonished me to dip the soup spoon in an outward fashion.  This discourages a waterwheel manner of eating soup, as when you lean over the bowl with the wrist bent varus!
As long as you do not bang the soupspoon on the dish.

Written By: KKay on 10/04/06 at 10:29 am

^ similarly, my mom slurps her hot tea...then i say don't do that...she says, "it's too hot"

duh. let it cool off!

"but i want it hot"

so now i politely leave the room instead of sitting there, seething.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/04/06 at 2:33 pm

^ similarly, my mom slurps her hot tea...then i say don't do that...she says, "it's too hot"

duh. let it cool off!

"but i want it hot"

so now i politely leave the room instead of sitting there, seething.
...drinking your own tea elsewhere?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/04/06 at 7:13 pm

As long as you do not bang the soupspoon on the dish.

You would have gotten on very well with my grandmother!

Along the gustatory lines, people who swish whatever beverage they're drinking.  There are not many, but there are some.  Like there was one guy I worked with who did this with Coca-Cola.  He'd take out his lunch, and about every third draft of Coke he would swish like it was mouthwash.  Nasty!  I'm sure his dentist loved him.  Prolly put the dentist's kids through college and financed his yacht!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/11/brushteeth.gif

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/06 at 8:47 am

Anything that comes out of Julia Roberts mouth

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/05/06 at 10:37 am

Right now all the sounds that I hear. Carlos is running a sander and they are working on the road right outside the house. I'm not too sure which one is worse. I just want all the noise to STOP!!!

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/05/06 at 5:35 pm

Anything that comes out of Julia Roberts mouth

I had a rejoinder, but I'm not going to go there!
:-X

Newt Gingrich's voice.

Right now all the sounds that I hear. Carlos is running a sander and they are working on the road right outside the house. I'm not too sure which one is worse. I just want all the noise to STOP!!!

My old man used to start in on that kind of work early in the morning!  To him, anybody who slept later than 7:00 a.m. was a lazy bum and thus deserved shrieking power tools for an alarm clock!

Written By: kellygoo72 on 10/06/06 at 9:52 pm

Right now... the sound of the teenage neighbor of mine singing at the top of her lungs in her kitchen, the same DANG song, not one, not two, but........3 times ... Argh..I hate the song and she doesnt help the matters.... It was " have U Ever Loved " or whatever the title it is from Brandy!!!  Yikes! :D

Written By: danootaandme on 10/07/06 at 7:39 am

I had a rejoinder, but I'm not going to go there!
:-X
!

Don't see why not, half the male population of Rodeo Drive has.  ;D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/06 at 12:46 pm

My old man used to start in on that kind of work early in the morning!  To him, anybody who slept later than 7:00 a.m. was a lazy bum and thus deserved shrieking power tools for an alarm clock!

Carlos told me when he was in graduate school and lived in family housing (with his first wife), the kids in the dorms would play loud music throughout the night. So one morning at about 7-7:30, he played the 1812 Overture REALLY, REALLY LOUD with the speakers in the window!!!  Paybacks are a b!tch.    ;D ;D ;D 

Cat

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 1:53 pm

Carlos told me when he was in graduate school and lived in family housing (with his first wife), the kids in the dorms would play loud music throughout the night. So one morning at about 7-7:30, he played the 1812 Overture REALLY, REALLY LOUD with the speakers in the window!!!  Paybacks are a b!tch.    ;D ;D ;D 

Wagner's "Ride of the Valkyries" does a splendid job too!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/kitty.gif

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/07/06 at 1:55 pm

Cat
Just the cannons without the music will do the job!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/07/06 at 2:15 pm

Just the cannons without the music will do the job!

I wanted to fire cannons at some of those partiers!

Neighbors who yell after their pets or kids at all hours of the day.  I lived in this dense urban neighborhood one time.  One of the neighbors used to let his beagle, Conway, out to do his business at 5:00 a.m.  Then he'd start calling the dog back in this bellowing, nasal voice, and clapping his hands to get the dog's attention...
"Conway!!!  Caaaaanwaaaay!!! Conway!!! Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!  We don't have all day here!!! Conway!!!!  Caaaaanwaaay....."
This braying went on every morning for weeks, then a guy across the street hollared, "SHUT THE F**K UP!!!!"  And there was a round of cheers from the other residences!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Other neighbor with dog, different neighborhood across town.  She had one of those truck drivin' mama voices.  Had the foresight to name her dog "Stella."  Lived there for months, never saw the dog, just heard the call, reminiscent of Marlon Brando, "Steeellllaaa!!!  Eh, Stelllaaa!!!"  Did Stella come when called? No.  So the neighbor would bellow admonitions, "OK, Stella, now you're really makin' me mad!  I'm not gonna put up with it today, Stella!   I've had just about enough of this, Stella!  Stella...heyyyyy!!!! You don't get over here at once, no doggie treat for you...."  Her voice was anything but euphonic.  Sounded like one one of the pro-wrestling managers or something!

http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/0623-sb-IEEEStorConf/farside3.gif

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/07/06 at 3:13 pm

I wanted to fire cannons at some of those partiers!

Neighbors who yell after their pets or kids at all hours of the day.  I lived in this dense urban neighborhood one time.  One of the neighbors used to let his beagle, Conway, out to do his business at 5:00 a.m.  Then he'd start calling the dog back in this bellowing, nasal voice, and clapping his hands to get the dog's attention...
"Conway!!!  Caaaaanwaaaay!!! Conway!!! Let's go, let's go, let's go!!!  We don't have all day here!!! Conway!!!!  Caaaaanwaaay....."
This braying went on every morning for weeks, then a guy across the street hollared, "SHUT THE F**K UP!!!!"  And there was a round of cheers from the other residences!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/04/dogrun.gif

Other neighbor with dog, different neighborhood across town.  She had one of those truck drivin' mama voices.  Had the foresight to name her dog "Stella."  Lived there for months, never saw the dog, just heard the call, reminiscent of Marlon Brando, "Steeellllaaa!!!  Eh, Stelllaaa!!!"  Did Stella come when called? No.  So the neighbor would bellow admonitions, "OK, Stella, now you're really makin' me mad!  I'm not gonna put up with it today, Stella!  I've had just about enough of this, Stella!  Stella...heyyyyy!!!! You don't get over here at once, no doggie treat for you...."  Her voice was anything but euphonic.  Sounded like one one of the pro-wrestling managers or something!

http://www.w3.org/2005/Talks/0623-sb-IEEEStorConf/farside3.gif

Sounds a lot like our next door neighbor. She doesn't call the dog (but the dog cries when he is left alone) but she yells at her kids ALL THE TIME-especially as they getting ready for school in the morning (before we get up  ::) )

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/23 at 7:34 am

Drilling from workmen close by.

Written By: Howard on 01/25/23 at 1:53 pm

chalk on a chalkboard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/25/23 at 1:59 pm

chalk on a chalkboard.
_A_I7iG3YYY

Check for new replies or respond here...