inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Three Decade Talk Show Host Mike Douglas Dies at 81

Written By: Indy Gent on 08/11/06 at 2:02 pm

See the 70s forum and this link. :\'( :\'( :\'(

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060811/ap_en_tv/obit_douglas

Subject: Re: Three Decade Talk Show Host Mike Douglas Dies at 81

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/11/06 at 2:07 pm

R.I.P.  :(

Written By: CatwomanofV on 08/11/06 at 2:24 pm

So sad. I used to love his show (long before Oprah and I think even Phil-that's as in Donahue, NOT as in Dr.)

Cat

Written By: Mushroom on 08/11/06 at 2:37 pm

That is truely sad.  I used to love his show when I was growing up, and would watch it after school before starting my homework.

For years there have been talks of him starting another show, but they never seemed to happen.  His was really the last of it's kind, where a host would bring out several guests, and they would all sit around and talk about all kinds of things.

One of the things I remember most was the singing.  It seems that a lot of his guests were musicians or singers of one form or another.  It was on his show that I first heard Jim Stafford sing "Cow Patty".  And I still remember watching Gil Gerard (of Buck Rogers fame) singing a pop song called "Answering Machine".

He died on his 81st Birthday.

The official website of his show is here:

http://www.themikedouglasshow.com/

The site has several video clips of his show, including a bit with Bob Hope and a young 3 year old golfer named "Tiger Woods".

Written By: Tony20fan4ever on 08/11/06 at 9:06 pm

I remember watching his show many times...One of the musical performances on the show that I remember is the Bee Gees doing 'Lonely Days Lonely Nights'...

The show was taped in Philadelphia, not far from where I live in New Jersey. It aired on KYW Channel 3 and was taped at their studios.

Written By: gmann on 08/11/06 at 10:35 pm

The show was taped in Philadelphia, not far from where I live in New Jersey. It aired on KYW Channel 3 and was taped at their studios.

What you forgot to mention is the fact that Mike's show got its start up the road from me in Cleveland in the early 60s. It stayed there for a few years, but after it became syndicated it was moved to Philly. I guess it was hard then, as now, to get the celebs to come to C-town. Ohio gets no respect...but at least Rowan and Martin aren't cracking jokes about us anymore.  :) 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/12/06 at 4:22 pm

I am trying to think of something to say about the death of Mike Douglas.  I'll get back to you.

Written By: zcrito on 08/12/06 at 7:31 pm

I remember watching his talk show when it was on in the early '70s. Since it came on in the afternoon -- I'm not sure of the exact time -- I only really remember seeing it when I was over at my grandparent's house (grandma liked Mike Douglas) and out of school for the day.

I do remember seeing part of the John Lenon shows and it's also the first time I ever saw Gallagher -- watermelon and all.

Written By: Mushroom on 08/14/06 at 11:25 am

I remember watching his talk show when it was on in the early '70s. Since it came on in the afternoon -- I'm not sure of the exact time -- I only really remember seeing it when I was over at my grandparent's house (grandma liked Mike Douglas) and out of school for the day.

I seem to remember it came on at around 3.  I know that I normally got home from school at around 3:30, and was able to watch the last hour or so before I had to do my homework.

Check for new replies or respond here...