inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2000

Written By: batfan2005 on 08/13/06 at 12:42 am

I think 2000 was one of the best years of this decade pop culturally. That year had a variety of music, ranging from hip-hop to alternative and hard rock, to techno and salsa. I also remember when everyone was saying "Whazuuuuuup!" What did you all think of that year?

Subject: Re: 2000

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/13/06 at 12:45 am

I graduated from H.S. and registered to vote.  Therefore, it was good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/13/06 at 2:08 am

I think 2000 was one of the best years of this decade pop culturally. That year had a variety of music, ranging from hip-hop to alternative and hard rock, to techno and salsa. I also remember when everyone was saying "Whazuuuuuup!" What did you all think of that year?
I remember celebrating it!

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/13/06 at 2:29 am

Yeah, I like 2000 alot too. My favorite year of the decade so far.

Written By: rich1981 on 08/13/06 at 2:30 am

I personally didn't like this year much, particularly the 2000 election result but also because it was a difficult year for me schoolwise in the fall, in that I considered changing majors at that time. Otherwise, the culture was o.k., at least better than it is now. That was the year I was into pop punk and bought the NOW 4 CD. Also, 2000 doesn't feel like it was 6 years ago.

Written By: P.E.D. on 08/13/06 at 9:31 am

I thought 2000 was rather dull myself, but maybe that is because of personal events rather than pop culture. I was 23 and becoming an adult..not a prime age for pop culture which always seemed focused on those who were just a bit older and just a bit younger than me. New Year's Eve 1999/2000 was fun, but not the extreme bash I think most people growing up in the 20th century thought it would be.

Written By: packerhawk24 on 08/13/06 at 10:49 am

2000 stunk in some ways (in the US, peak of teen pop, explosion of reality TV, late in the year the election controversy and the economy began to turn sour) but it was still probably the best year of this decade. It was the last year to have somewhat of a laid back 90's feel to it before the paranoid mindset of the 00's truly set in on 9/11/01.

Written By: Roadgeek on 08/14/06 at 5:09 pm

I liked 2000, but I don't really care much about that year. It was a good year, but it's somewhat boring compared to other past years. But my favorite '00s year would be 2003. And yes, I remember staying up on New Years Eve night watching that ball drop into 2000.

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 08/14/06 at 8:57 pm

And yes, I remember staying up on New Years Eve night watching that ball drop into 2000.
That was the most dissapointing thing to happen in the year 2000. Everyone was waiting for the power to go out at exactly 12... but nothing.  :-\\

Written By: Dave79 on 08/14/06 at 11:18 pm

I was damn sick on new years eve/day Jan 1, 2000.  I didn't give a s*** about what may happen at the time either.

--
Dave.

Written By: AmandaSparks on 08/15/06 at 4:48 am

I was having an awesome time that year. I was 25, single and free with disposable income. Where's my Delorean time machine dammit?

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/15/06 at 8:26 am

Yeah, I like 2000 alot too. My favorite year of the decade so far.

As I like to say, 2000 was my favourite year of the 00s because it was the most '90s' year this decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/16/06 at 5:38 pm

As I like to say, 2000 was my favourite year of the 00s because it was the most '90s' year this decade.

Yeah, that's one reason its my favorite. I also prefer 2000 because I was still in middle school(8th grade), and I pretty much hated high school so it was the last 'enjoyable' school year I had. Also it was a really good year for me personally.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/16/06 at 9:21 pm

WEll, atleast it wasnt the end of the world >_>.  It was an exciting time for the world, we where entering a whole new era.  It was officialy the "future".  I guess it was ok. 

Written By: Slim95 on 06/24/21 at 11:39 am

Best year of the 2000s no doubt.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/28/21 at 4:13 pm

This was the year I worked for the first time. I was a floral assembler. That was early in the year so I was 19. It wasn't the best job in the world but I did get paid good!

Written By: wagonman76 on 06/29/21 at 11:36 pm

2000 was my first full year in my own house.

Y2K I went to meet someone from online to ring in the new year. Turned into a party (I’m not a partier). People drinking Zima with straws and getting crazy. Singing Dixie Chicks songs. They started getting suspicious thinking I was a cop. Eventually they said something like you got so much time to get outta here or my boyfriend is gonna kick your a$$ when he gets here. So I left, already barely staying awake at like 3am. Not sure exactly where I was but just kept heading east till I hit the highway. I learned that night that Y2K didn’t shut down things and my bank card filled up my tank to get me the 4 hours home.

Later on it was also the year I met who would become my kid’s mom. So it was both the best thing I ever did, and the worst.

Written By: violet_shy on 06/30/21 at 12:01 am

2000 was my first full year in my own house.

They started getting suspicious thinking I was a cop.

This made me laugh!

Written By: whistledog on 06/30/21 at 2:04 am

2000 was the year of one of the most annoying fads, that I thought (and still think to this day) was quite entertaining. 

In 1998, a university student from British Columbia created a prank website featuring a series of animated gifs of hampsters, dancing while a sped up sample of the Roger Miller song Whistle Stop (that featured in the Walt Disney 1973 feature Robin Hood) played on repeat.  The goal was to see how many hits the website would get, and response was so grand, it evolved into a song called The Hampsterdance Song as credited to Hampton the Hampster and it peaked at #1 in Canada, #5 in Australia and #4 on the US Dance sales chart.  Response was so popular in Australia, that further singles released under the Hampton the Hampster name also charted

p3G5IXn0K7A

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/30/21 at 2:22 am

2000 was the year of one of the most annoying fads, that I thought (and still think to this day) was quite entertaining. 

In 1998, a university student from British Columbia created a prank website featuring a series of animated gifs of hampsters, dancing while a sped up sample of the Roger Miller song Whistle Stop (that featured in the Walt Disney 1973 feature Robin Hood) played on repeat.  The goal was to see how many hits the website would get, and response was so grand, it evolved into a song called The Hampsterdance Song as credited to Hampton the Hampster and it peaked at #1 in Canada, #5 in Australia and #4 on the US Dance sales chart.  Response was so popular in Australia, that further singles released under the Hampton the Hampster name also charted

p3G5IXn0K7

Does Hampton the Hamster include the Hungry Hamster?

http://media.giphy.com/media/BzWbsTPRNgrL2/giphy.gif

Check for new replies or respond here...