inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Boy George starts his clean sweep

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/14/06 at 12:33 pm

Singer Boy George has been sweeping streets in New York as part of a five-day community service sentence.

But the former Culture Club frontman, real name George O'Dowd, was moved into a fenced-off area after only 30 minutes because he was mobbed by the media.

He wore a fluorescent jacket, gloves and sunglasses. He had previously made light of the punishment by saying that he had "always been a scrubber".

The 45-year-old was found guilty of wasting police time earlier this year.

He was also threatened with jail if he failed to complete the court-imposed sentence.

O'Dowd was issued with a shovel, broom and plastic bags when he arrived at a depot in Manhattan's Lower East Side at 0700 local time (1100 GMT).

Around 30 minutes later he emerged from the building to board a street cleaning vehicle.

Subject: Re: Boy George starts his clean sweep

Written By: Paul on 08/15/06 at 7:48 am

(Swiped from the paper this morning...)

(Ready?)

CULTURE SCRUB...

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/06 at 1:23 pm

My first thought was his 1987 hit Sweep Me In Mind!

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/06 at 1:53 pm

"Sweep me, I know you sweep me, I know you sweep me blind"

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/15/06 at 2:00 pm

He is now one the victims doing time.

Written By: Paul on 08/15/06 at 3:50 pm

It's A Miracle he wasn't thrown in the local clink...

Written By: CeramicsFanatic on 08/15/06 at 3:53 pm

You guys are hilarious!  ;D

Written By: Satish on 08/15/06 at 5:07 pm

It appears his karma has finally run out.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/06 at 9:19 pm

I say this as a bona-fide Boy George fan since 1982:
I'd give my left nut to watch Boy George sweep the sidewalk!!!
You guys made some funny jokes, but when you can say "Boy George was sentenced to sweep the sidewalk for wasting police time," you don't really need any jokes!

And what kind of penalty is that?  If we could sentence the cops to clean-up duty every time they waste our time, our cities would be completely free of litter and graffiti!

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/06 at 9:23 pm

"Who is the man who deters all the sand?
He's the streetsweeper!"

Couldn't resist!

Written By: Lifesunfair on 08/15/06 at 9:30 pm

I remember the episode of Full House when Boy George made a really really quick cameo.  He didn't even have a line, he just walked by for a second when his song was playing.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/15/06 at 10:22 pm

I remember the episode of Full House when Boy George made a really really quick cameo.  He didn't even have a line, he just walked by for a second when his song was playing.

I missed that one.  I did see the premier broadcast of the episode of The A-Team guest-starring Boy Gerorge & Culture Club.  Man, that was terrible!  At the time, Boy George was an emaciated junkie and Mr. T was making anti-drug public service spots warning kids not to do drugs because if they did, he'd find them and beat them up.  Yet, on the episode George and B.A. were romping together on some A-Team adventure.  At one point, I remember, Boy George kicks open a bolted door.  In winter 1986, poor Boy George was so ravaged he couldn't kick his way out of a wet paper bag!  Culture Club played a couple of songs on the episode, but I don't remember what they were.  The band's days of playing memorable songs were over.  Very sad.
"Everybody likes the Culture Club!"*
--Sgt. Bosco "B.A." Baracus

*No, he didn't say, "I pity the fool who don't like the Culture Club!"

Check for new replies or respond here...