inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: who will win the console war.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/21/06 at 12:05 pm

honestly i think the wii will win. it's a good idea. and it's cheap. it may not have the best games though. i want the ps3 to win but that's just not gonna happen. remember to choose who you THINK will win. NOT who you WANT to win.

Subject: Re: who will win the console war.

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/21/06 at 10:07 pm

Im a huge Sony fan.  their products are the best on the market.  but honestly, this console round, im gonna have to give ti to the Wii.  its innovative, its new, and it has a good price.  The PS3 WILL be better than all the other consoles, thats a fact, but its not gonna win this console war due to its extreme price tag.  But actually, the PS3's price tag is actually cheap, because blu Ray DVD players cost about $1000, and at $600, thats a bargain.

So, im voting Wii.  Id love to vote PS3, but its not gonna be a big contender =/

meh, PC's own all anyway :P

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/21/06 at 11:59 pm

Right now the Xbox 360 has a years advanage and a pretty nice installed base of games. But really all three systems have a good change. This is the first time in years that I can remember a console war without a clear cut favorite. No matter who wins it's gonna be awesome 8)

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/23/06 at 3:39 pm

i think 360 will be number one here in america with ps3 second and wii third but if the price on the ps3 dosent come down theres no way in hell i will be buying one. wii/360 for me!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/23/06 at 3:43 pm

i think 360 will be number one here in america with ps3 second and wii third but if the price on the ps3 dosent come down theres no way in hell i will be buying one. wii/360 for me!

You can get a Wii and a 360 for the same price as a PS3. 

Written By: annonymouse on 08/23/06 at 10:06 pm

You can get a Wii and a 360 for the same price as a PS3. 

that's because the ps3 is more advanced, more powerful, more innovative than the 360, and can do more.

But actually, the PS3's price tag is actually cheap, because blu Ray DVD players cost about $1000, and at $600, thats a bargain.

that's right. it costs sony $800 to make each ps3. therefor they will lose $200 for every ps3 they sell. believe it or not, they're taking in a big loss. and if you do the math, with inflation, the ps3 costs LESS than some consoles in the past, and near equals the price of others. 

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/24/06 at 11:05 am

that's because the ps3 is more advanced

By a smidgen if that.

more powerful

Probably, it will suck more money from your wallet than a 360 can

more innovative than the 360, and can do more.

Oh, you mean innovative like the guide button on the controller?  ;)

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/24/06 at 9:43 pm

when you have xbox live on your 360 you will see why they have a chance to win and i just feel like sony have a bunch of good third party games like final fantasy and tekken but when it comes to first party they have nothing on the same level has halo plus now xbox gets grand theft on day one also so they will be neck and neck but if the price dosent come down i dont think they have a chance not that many people have HD tv meaning not that many people will care if they get a blu ray dvd drive

Written By: annonymouse on 08/25/06 at 4:44 pm

Oh, you mean innovative like the guide button on the controller?  ;)

no, i don't. a button is not innovative. that's just a conviniet. i'm talking about the tilt sensing capabilities of the ps3 controller. same for the wii.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:48 pm

no, i don't. a button is not innovative. that's just a conviniet. i'm talking about the tilt sensing capabilities of the ps3 controller. same for the wii.

Oh wait, you mean innovative like being forced to implement an online gaming network and finally throwing in a hard drive with the console, got it.

I'm not too interested in the motion sensitive controller, just the games.  All systems have their share of awesome first party games.  Microsoft has Halo and Gears of War, PS has their Metal Gear Solid, Wii has Mario and Zelda.  THAT is what decides the system's success, not the hardware.  The PS3 specs thus far do not suggest that it will be that much more powerful than the 360, if at all.  I concede that it may be in fact more powerful but that doesn't mean it will necessarily do better.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/25/06 at 4:53 pm

when you have xbox live on your 360 you will see why they have a chance to win and i just feel like sony have a bunch of good third party games like final fantasy and tekken but when it comes to first party they have nothing on the same level has halo plus now xbox gets grand theft on day one also so they will be neck and neck but if the price dosent come down i dont think they have a chance not that many people have HD tv meaning not that many people will care if they get a blu ray dvd drive

i have xbox live. and yes it is great. but only with halo 2. only with matchmaking. and you're right. no game can beat halo. but what's so great about grand theft auto. there are many free roaming mockups on playstation that are even better. such as the godfather, and mercenairies. and i'm sure there will be many more exclusively for the ps3. and the 360 for that matter. the to mockups that i've already listed are (i believe) even better than GTA. with some added abilities. blow up everything, extort shops. GTA has lost it's charm to EA (the company that made the games i listed) GET OVER IT!!!

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 4:54 pm

i have xbox live. and yes it is great. but only with halo 2. only with matchmaking. and you're right. no game can beat halo. but what's so great about grand theft auto. there are many free roaming mockups on playstation that are even better. such as the godfather, and mercenairies. and i'm sure there will be many more exclusively for the ps3. and the 360 for that matter. the to mockups that i've already listed are (i believe) even better than GTA. with some added abilities. blow up everything, extort shops. GTA has lost it's charm to EA (the company that made the games i listed) GET OVER IT!!!

Matchmaking sucks.  Too many whiny kids.

Godfather, GTA and Mercenaries are not exclusive games.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/25/06 at 4:56 pm

maybe if you were actually good, you wouldn't get teamed up with little kids.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/25/06 at 4:58 pm

Godfather, GTA and Mercenaries are not exclusive games.

i know, i'm just trying to make a point that GTA isn't the only free roaming, Kill civilians game

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/25/06 at 5:00 pm

maybe if you were actually good, you wouldn't get teamed up with little kids.

I wouldn't want to anyway.  That's what my friends list is for...something else for PS3 to copy, I guess.

i know, i'm just trying to make a point that GTA isn't the only free roaming, Kill civilians game

There are plenty of other good RPGs, like Final Fantasy, the Elder Scrolls series, Knights of the Old Republic, and Fable.  I happen to not like those games that much.

I only played GTA so I can pick up hookers and then beat them up to get my money back after I get some extra health.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/25/06 at 8:48 pm

Hmmm, this one's a bit tougher to pick than the PS2 vs Xbox vs Game Cute battle was. I still think Sony will win out - due to the sheer reputation of the Playstation brand name and the weight that carries, but Nintendo have an interesting concept. The one thing the wii lacks is sufficient internal hard-drive space, which, believe me, is an essential for any console in this day and age. The 360 will probably do similarly to the first X-Box - even a bit worse, I have to say, with the PS3 maybe shifting slightly less units, but probably making more money in games, endorsements, accessories, merch.etc for Sony.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/25/06 at 8:53 pm

Hmmm, this one's a bit tougher to pick than the PS2 vs Xbox vs Game Cute battle was. I still think Sony will win out - due to the sheer reputation of the Playstation brand name and the weight that carries, but Nintendo have an interesting concept. The one thing the wii lacks is sufficient internal hard-drive space, which, believe me, is an essential for any console in this day and age. The 360 will probably do similarly to the first X-Box - even a bit worse, I have to say, with the PS3 maybe shifting slightly less units, but probably making more money in games, endorsements, accessories, merch.etc for Sony.

Yeah, the PS2 was able to beat out the other systems(IMO at least) because of the massive hype surrounding it. Back then when it came to buying a 'next-gen' system the PS2 was always the first choice over the Xbox or Gamecube. It doesn't seem to me that there's nearly as much hype surrounding the PS3 right now.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/26/06 at 10:06 am

i just wish the psp would had turned out better i loved the system when i first got it but then all the games became ps2 ports so i traded for a ds lite

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/26/06 at 10:08 am

^ I heard the DS Lite isn't as sturdy as the original DS.  Either way, the UMD format just didn't catch on and that's what really led to the "downfall" of the PSP.  The DS allowed for much better gameplay.

Written By: annonymouse on 08/26/06 at 11:49 pm

I wouldn't want to anyway.  That's what my friends list is for...something else for PS3 to copy, I guess.

this site has a friends list, myspace has a friends list, aim has a friends list.  do you actually believe that sony is copying microsoft just by incorperating a friends list into playstation live? that's like saying that microsoft copied sony by making a video game system in the first place. or that sony copied nintendo. or that nintendo copied intellivision. or that intellivision copied atari. give it up!

Written By: annonymouse on 08/26/06 at 11:55 pm

^ I heard the DS Lite isn't as sturdy as the original DS.  Either way, the UMD format just didn't catch on and that's what really led to the "downfall" of the PSP.  The DS allowed for much better gameplay.

there is nothing wrong with the format. the games however are lacking. and although the psp won't have too many features compatible with the ps3, i will enjoy using mine as a rear view mirror in driving games. 

Written By: annonymouse on 08/27/06 at 12:03 am

i have always wanted the ps3 to win but didn't think it possible. however you have changed my mind. the ps3 will win. ( man oh man i can't wait to be able to really call myself a sony fan boy!!!) 

Written By: annonymouse on 08/27/06 at 12:09 am

All systems have their share of awesome first party games.   THAT is what decides the system's success, not the hardware. 

so you're saying that the motion sensing capabilities of the wii that have been promoted like crazy will not earn nintendo any fans?

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/27/06 at 5:13 am

i have always wanted the ps3 to win but didn't think it possible. however you have changed my mind. the ps3 will win. ( man oh man i can't wait to be able to really call myself a sony fan boy!!!) 
using it as a rearview mirrior will be ok but when i pay 250$ for a video games system i want games and i want good games not just some watered down ps2 ports

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/27/06 at 5:52 pm

using it as a rearview mirrior will be ok but when i pay 250$ for a video games system i want games and i want good games not just some watered down ps2 ports

You can get that with a Wii.  Portable gaming systems are always expensive because of miniaturization, I wouldn't expect too much out of those.

this site has a friends list, myspace has a friends list, aim has a friends list.  do you actually believe that sony is copying microsoft just by incorperating a friends list into playstation live? that's like saying that microsoft copied sony by making a video game system in the first place. or that sony copied nintendo. or that nintendo copied intellivision. or that intellivision copied atari. give it up!

What are you not seeming to understand is that there are some things that PS3 will invariably have that Xbox 360 won't have, and vice versa.  Hardware-wise, the two are indistinguishable on paper.  The problem with PS3 is the negative press dealing with Blu-Ray, manufacturing delays, processor malfunctions/yields, and lack of information.  I KNOW what the Xbox 360 can do because I own one and so do about 4 million other people.  You GUESS what the PS3 can do because you read what other fanboys posted.

I do not expect Sony to fail in the next gen, in fact, I welcome their success, because they will push the Xbox and Nintendo systems to a higher level.  Do you remember when PS2 had no online system, no hard drive, and coincidentally, no competition?  (N64 doesn't count).  Then Xbox came along, and suddenly PS2 had to add an online gaming network (which sucked compared to Live), a hard drive (that was only usable for Final Fantasy), and say, "holy crap, we'd better put these into our next generation platform".  Nintendo was forced to do the same.

You are a fanboy because you are closed-minded and ignorant to the fact that other consoles have something to offer that PS3 cannot, just as PS3 will most likely have first party games and features that their competition will not.  If you can scrounge up enough lunch and paper route money to blow on the PS3 and a game, more power to you.  But implying that you want one console to dominate the marketplace is a bad thing, because a dominant system has no incentive to improve itself.

Written By: Trimac20 on 08/27/06 at 8:26 pm

Yeah, the PS2 was able to beat out the other systems(IMO at least) because of the massive hype surrounding it. Back then when it came to buying a 'next-gen' system the PS2 was always the first choice over the Xbox or Gamecube. It doesn't seem to me that there's nearly as much hype surrounding the PS3 right now.

True, Sony might have over-priced it, and been a bit too ambitious with the PS3. The PS2 was still primarily a games machine, whereas the PS3 is something different completely. I think it'll be a bit the same as the PSP - so much hype, but the end result was a bit of a letdown. From my...'detached', viewpoint, here's hoping Nintendo can re-claim its market share in the video game stakes.  8)

Written By: annonymouse on 08/27/06 at 9:04 pm

What are you not seeming to understand is that there are some things that PS3 will invariably have that Xbox 360 won't have, and vice versa.  Hardware-wise, the two are indistinguishable on paper. You GUESS what the PS3 can do because you read what other fanboys posted.

i know this. i'm justing saying that sony isn't copying microsoft. and actually, i subscribe to playstation magazine.

I do not expect Sony to fail in the next gen, in fact, I welcome their success, because they will push the Xbox and Nintendo systems to a higher level.  Do you remember when PS2 had no online system, no hard drive, and coincidentally, no competition?  (N64 doesn't count).  Then Xbox came along, and suddenly PS2 had to add an online gaming network (which sucked compared to Live),.

yes it did suck. but that's because it was a rushed peripheral, that was not advertised or worked on enoough. the ps3 live will come with the system which was made to handle it.

You are a fanboy because you are closed-minded and ignorant to the fact that other consoles have something to offer that PS3 cannot, just as PS3 will most likely have first party games and features that their competition will not. But implying that you want one console to dominate the marketplace is a bad thing, because a dominant system has no incentive to improve itself.

i have admited that the wii posses as a huge threat. however, i just don't see much of a difference between the 360 and original xbox. also, i don't want it to neccecarily dominate. just overcome it's competitors. however, i wouldn't care to much if microsoft left the console industy. they can stick to computers. yes halo is great, and so is live, but some day they will both be beaten. btw, i don't believe halo 3 will be any good.

Check for new replies or respond here...