inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 80s styles are back!!---On young women

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/26/06 at 10:31 am

Well damn, I can't believe it.  80s fashions are finally back, on women anyways.  People were saying "80s fashions are back!" back in 2002, but it was the most subtle things that were barely noticeable, like a stilleto shoe or something.

Today I go out and about, and I see very blatant 80s fashions on women.  Particularly teenage girls and early 20s women.  Not so much on anyone women older then their early 20s.  But really younger women who never experienced the 80s are diving into this full force I see.  They wear those tight skinny pants and those huge belts (what are they callled?).  I am not a fashion expert, I do not know the names of the stuff these girls wear, but I recognize them as 80s.  What blows me away is seeing them wear those little ballernia type shoes that were so popular in the mid-80s.  That's just freaky for me, because growing up that's what was around. 

Interestingly, I do not see any realy 80s guys fashions coming back in the '00s, except for the little alligator shirts that came back a few years ago.  But guys are still very 90ish/retro 70s in our look.  This has been a muted 80s comeback so far, but it's picking up steam, with really young women anyway.

I had a couple of articles and pics to linky for you guys to read, but it didn't work.   Anyway it confirmed my suspicion that it's mainly kids, because the style is NEW to them.  Teenage girls are the ones I see dressing that way anyway.

Oh wait these two work:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/accent/epaper/2006/08/22/a1e_80s_predictions_0822.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13047651/

Subject: Re: 80s styles are back!!---On young women

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/26/06 at 3:34 pm

think god i was born in 1989 i dont think i could have stood that god awful decade and the ugly clothes

Written By: woops on 08/26/06 at 3:49 pm

Leggings and loose belts look hot on Ashley Tisdale...
http://www.ashleytisdale.com/images_pub/pat189.jpg

http://www.ashleytisdale.com/images_pub/pat346.jpg

Written By: Marian on 08/26/06 at 3:50 pm

think god i was born in 1989 i dont think i could have stood that god awful decade and the ugly clothes
The 70s were a lot worse,believe me!At least in the 80s you had pants you could ride a bike in without them getting caught in the chain or something.And all that polyester!and at the end of the 70s,things got so drab!!!In the 80s you were encouraged to be creative. ;)

Written By: woops on 08/26/06 at 4:00 pm

I'm still very '90's, though since 1998  :D

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/26/06 at 4:23 pm

Wow, that second outfit, looks straight out of the early 90's.

Written By: MidKnightDarkness on 08/26/06 at 4:43 pm

The first outfit's awesome.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/06 at 10:00 pm

Well damn, I can't believe it.  80s fashions are finally back, on women anyways.  People were saying "80s fashions are back!" back in 2002, but it was the most subtle things that were barely noticeable, like a stilleto shoe or something.

Today I go out and about, and I see very blatant 80s fashions on women.  Particularly teenage girls and early 20s women.  Not so much on anyone women older then their early 20s.  But really younger women who never experienced the 80s are diving into this full force I see.  They wear those tight skinny pants and those huge belts (what are they callled?).  I am not a fashion expert, I do not know the names of the stuff these girls wear, but I recognize them as 80s.  What blows me away is seeing them wear those little ballernia type shoes that were so popular in the mid-80s.  That's just freaky for me, because growing up that's what was around. 

Interestingly, I do not see any realy 80s guys fashions coming back in the '00s, except for the little alligator shirts that came back a few years ago.  But guys are still very 90ish/retro 70s in our look.  This has been a muted 80s comeback so far, but it's picking up steam, with really young women anyway.

I had a couple of articles and pics to linky for you guys to read, but it didn't work.   Anyway it confirmed my suspicion that it's mainly kids, because the style is NEW to them.  Teenage girls are the ones I see dressing that way anyway.

Oh wait these two work:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/accent/content/accent/epaper/2006/08/22/a1e_80s_predictions_0822.html

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13047651/

Yeah, I've noticed this a bit firsthand too. I work with a couple girls a little younger than me who are very '80s like. I think they're more into the clothing/fashion side of the '80s, but they like the whole package from what I can tell. I suppose I'd say you're right about guys' 80s fashion not really being as noticeable as it is with girls and women (pink shirts were popular about a year ago, but that didn't really take off it seems).

I've always been pretty casual and not too over the top, so I'm not totally sure what I'd classify myself as. I'm probably the most "90s" in fashion if I had to guess -- i.e. plaid and flannel shirts over a Tshirt, or hooded Sweatshirts are somewhat of a 1994 thing (although I have a few Izod-type shirts, which are a bit '80slike).

BTW, this topic reaffirms my theory I've held for a long time that people who can't remember at all, or can only vaguely, a certain time period are actually more likely to pick up on it later. Rather than fluff it off as "ewww" or think it's totally cheesy like they would if they were around, let's say 10 years old (i.e. way old enough to remember it, but young enough to hate on it in their teen years).

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/06 at 10:14 pm

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease..... For the love of Jerry Seinfeld, don't let the puffy shirt come back!

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/26/06 at 11:50 pm

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease..... For the love of Jerry Seinfeld, don't let the puffy shirt come back!

;D

That's a '90s thing, though. Give it till 2015-19 or so and it actually might. ;)

As silly looking as it was, in a way, you could say Puffy Shirts are cool just because they were in that episode (that was one of my faves, which is saying a lot since I love that show).

Written By: Gis on 08/27/06 at 4:04 am

The first outfit's awesome.
Look at her feet the shoes are like two sizes too big !

Written By: Gis on 08/27/06 at 4:10 am

80's clothes styles for women have been back in the U.K for about 3 - 4 years now, recently 80's male fashion has been coming back in.There are some bad aspects especially the horrible patterned jumpers..............

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/27/06 at 5:10 am

i was looking at a picture of my cousin from 1994 and she had on a big flannel shirt with boots and i was like omg if that isnt 90's i dont know what is i remember people would wear flannel in the middle of july

Written By: Marian on 08/27/06 at 3:45 pm

not all flannel is heavy.it comes in different weights.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/28/06 at 7:20 pm

Wow, that second outfit, looks straight out of the early 90's.

Early 90s?  No way, that's totally 1984 or '85ish.

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/28/06 at 7:25 pm

BTW, this topic reaffirms my theory I've held for a long time that people who can't remember at all, or can only vaguely, a certain time period are actually more likely to pick up on it later. Rather than fluff it off as "ewww" or think it's totally cheesy like they would if they were around, let's say 10 years old (i.e. way old enough to remember it, but young enough to hate on it in their teen years).

I totally agree with you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lol, man I used to feel the same way about the 70s.  "Thank GOD that I was born in the 70s and didn't have to really live through the 70s, it was all so ugly". 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
i was looking at a picture of my cousin from 1994 and she had on a big flannel shirt with boots and i was like omg if that isnt 90's i dont know what is i remember people would wear flannel in the middle of july

Hahah, yeah the mid 90s time, when it was cool to look like a homeless lumberjack.

Written By: woops on 08/28/06 at 9:21 pm

Early 90s?  No way, that's totally 1984 or '85ish.

Ashley Tisdale was born on 1985  :D

Written By: La Roche on 08/28/06 at 10:05 pm

Interestingly, I do not see any realy 80s guys fashions coming back in the '00s, except for the little alligator shirts that came back a few years ago.  But guys are still very 90ish/retro 70s in our look.   

Well.. I've been looking like Axl Rose for some time now.. but that's more through natural slobishness and a penchant for hard liqour than any sort of fashion statement.  ;D

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/06 at 10:31 pm

Yeah, flannel was probably THE '90s fashion.

Despite that, what's weird to me is, while people don't wear it strictly to be cool anymore, it's still sort of around in a casual sense. In fact I think alot of '90s fashions are like that. There's only a few select things that would look ridiculous today - like wearing a backwards baseball hat and trying to be a Marky Mark esque tough guy. That would look "totally 1993".

The only bad rap flannel ever got offhand, was when Tim would tease Al's fashion sense in Home Improvement. ;D

Written By: Chris MegatronTHX on 08/29/06 at 12:17 am

I still see people wearing backward baseball caps, but they are usually like 25 or 26 and stuck in the 90s.  Not the more hip 16 year old kid.

They probably wear it more for comfort, then "bad ass" statement like circa 1991.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/29/06 at 11:01 am

;D

That's a '90s thing, though. Give it till 2015-19 or so and it actually might. ;)

As silly looking as it was, in a way, you could say Puffy Shirts are cool just because they were in that episode (that was one of my faves, which is saying a lot since I love that show).

Apparently..... November 22 is (shudders....)  Puffy Shirt Day.

Seriously.

http://www.puffyshirtday.com/

Written By: Lee_Marsh on 08/29/06 at 8:04 pm

While I wish it where the 80's again, I think its retarted how kids these days try to wear fashions from past decades.  Its just pahtetic, because you cant imitate something like that.  It can be 80's style, but its just not 80's, without the decade.  Then that kinda leads into my point about teens these days wishing it was the 80's/90's because they want to be part of a GOOD decade, and not this crap.

I just dont think it works.  like women dressing like its the 70's again, it just looks out of place in this day and time.  thats also another thing that annoy's me about this decade.  Its so bad, it doesnt even have its own style!!!  People have gotten so lazy, they cant even come up with their own fashions, and try to imitate the past fashions/styles.  this decade really lacks creativity and immagination.

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/29/06 at 11:34 pm

I really hope 80s fashions aren't coming back, they're so ugly. Womens' styles from that time are very unattractive to me.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/30/06 at 3:00 am

While I wish it where the 80's again, I think its retarted how kids these days try to wear fashions from past decades.  Its just pahtetic, because you cant imitate something like that.  It can be 80's style, but its just not 80's, without the decade.  Then that kinda leads into my point about teens these days wishing it was the 80's/90's because they want to be part of a GOOD decade, and not this crap.

I just dont think it works.  like women dressing like its the 70's again, it just looks out of place in this day and time.  thats also another thing that annoy's me about this decade.  Its so bad, it doesnt even have its own style!!!  People have gotten so lazy, they cant even come up with their own fashions, and try to imitate the past fashions/styles.  this decade really lacks creativity and immagination.

I think I see where you're coming from, and I kinda agree.

I'm not surprised there's more copycat stuff than originality these days. Let's face it, there's not a whole lot of original ideas anyone can come up with anymore without simply being a modification of an older style. Since the rock and roll era (which came to define "teenagers" and most aspects of modern pop culture) took off around 1954/55, it's been around half a century now. There's more in the past to pick from. ;)

Written By: Criz on 08/30/06 at 3:14 pm

I know what you mean, yet I do disagree with you that its bad to support 80s fashion.

I am by no means a fashion victim, but I do dress in a sort of 'stylish' way. This 80s revival has been happening for over 5 years though, it's not a recent thing. I mean, I've been wearing footless tights/leggings underneath short skirts for 3-4 years now, and in a way it sort of annoys me how EVERYONE is wearing them nowadays - like it's the 'in' thing. Alk of the fashion magazines are cliaming that leggings are the staple item for this Autumn. Last season it was skinny jeans and waisted belts - all of this is totally 80s. I really love the fact that that the 80s are back beacuse they were much more interesting than any other deacde for fashion and music-wise in my opinion. 90s fashion was dreadful - its time for just a little flamboyance with a modern twist!!!

I'm not going to go over the top and go and buy a jacket with massive shoulder pads, or wear a body suit if Vogue tells me I should -I'll just wear what I want to, mixing modern items with retro ones. I've even got pieces from my mums 70s and 80s wardrobe that now fit me - I absolutly love the fact that they are pretty much originals now. It's much better to be a little unique then conform and follow the crowd :]

Written By: KKay on 08/30/06 at 3:35 pm

I saw a hting about this on tv,...and the fashions were really for teens and pre-teens...but the look did not seem very 80s to me.  more earthy, no striaght lines...more stylish and current..not mod.

but i like it nonetheless.

Written By: woops on 08/30/06 at 4:43 pm

modernized versions, though some look 70's, IMO

Like the 80's were based off the 60's...

Written By: Tanya1976 on 08/30/06 at 5:28 pm

Ew...been there done that.

I guess they believe they are cool for doing so. But, they are not.  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...