inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sir Elton John 'plans hip-hop album'

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/26/06 at 10:54 am

Sir Elton John is planning to record a hip-hop album, and hopes to collaborate with stars including Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg and Kanye West.

"I want to bring my songs and melodies to hip-hop beats," the singer, 59, told Rolling Stone, in an interview printed on their website.

"It may be a disaster, it could be fantastic, but you don't know until you try," he said.

Sir Elton's latest album, The Captain and the Kid, is released next month.

Subject: Re: Sir Elton John 'plans hip-hop album'

Written By: woops on 08/26/06 at 4:00 pm

He did duet with Eminem a few years ago at the Grammy Awards...

Written By: whistledog on 08/26/06 at 4:01 pm

Last year, he hit #1 in the UK with a 2Pac duet called "Ghetto Gospel".  2Pac's been dead since 1996, and he's still having #1 hits?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/26/06 at 5:51 pm

I can't wait to hear Sir Elton belting out some hip hop, opining about bling, blunts, .40's, bitches, 'hos, and having casual sex in his whip and at his crib.

;D  ;D

Written By: WalkerP20 on 08/26/06 at 5:55 pm

Last year, he hit #1 in the UK with a 2Pac duet called "Ghetto Gospel".  2Pac's been dead since 1996, and he's still having #1 hits?  ???

Thanks to Elton John, not 2Pac

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/26/06 at 9:49 pm

I heard Bernie Taupin is writing some orchestra-accompanied ballads for Jay-Z. 
:-\\

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/26/06 at 9:53 pm

Last year, he hit #1 in the UK with a 2Pac duet called "Ghetto Gospel".  2Pac's been dead since 1996, and he's still having #1 hits?  ???

It's called "unreleased material".  It's how all these people like 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Aalliyah and the others keep releasing albums after they're dead.  The record labels/families decide to cash in and make sure their name is still out there and still relevant.

Written By: JamieMcBain on 08/26/06 at 9:53 pm

Should be...... interesting.....  ::)

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/27/06 at 5:47 am

It's called "unreleased material".  It's how all these people like 2Pac, Biggie Smalls, Aalliyah and the others keep releasing albums after they're dead.  The record labels/families decide to cash in and make sure their name is still out there and still relevant.

I guess the Outlaw Josey Wales had it wrong when he said "Diein' ain't much of a livin', boy".

;D

Written By: deadrockstar on 08/27/06 at 11:39 am

Sad that such a good artist is going down this path. It sucks to see good musicians treating hip hop like this, you know deep down they think its sh*t too, they're just trying to go along with whats "in".

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/27/06 at 1:15 pm

This album will sink faster than the Titanic with Star Jones sitting on the bow.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 08/28/06 at 12:28 am

Elton John is one of my most despised pop singers of all time.  BUT, I admit to liking some of his songs.  No, I will not tell you which ones!
:-[

Written By: whistledog on 08/28/06 at 12:45 am

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: Sister Morphine on 08/28/06 at 3:22 am

Elton John is one of my most despised pop singers of all time.  BUT, I admit to liking some of his songs.  No, I will not tell you which ones!
:-[

Oh, I know you rock out to "Bitch is Back".

Written By: Jessica on 08/28/06 at 12:03 pm

This album will sink faster than the Titanic with Star Jones sitting on the bow.

Now, now....she's not that heavy anymore since she lost all that weight with Pilates and eating ri.....BAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I hate Star Jones.

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/28/06 at 10:41 pm

Lots of artists sell out to what's popular ... In the 70s, Rod Stewart, Kiss, and The Rolling Stones all had disco hits.  In the 80s, Barry Manilow took a crack at New Wave, and in the late 90s, Tom Jones had a comeback with an album of Dance Music

Yeah, ALOT of '60s and '70s artists added elements of synthpop and AOR to their sound in the '80s. In fact, I can barely think of any who didn't. Of course some went totally all out with it (Starship, Yes), while some were more subtle (ZZ Top, Tina Turner) so they seemed more like "themselves" just trying something new.

But I think all that was easier because, even though the artists were from a different generation and had a different sound, both eras were still a "Top 40/rock" culture. So having an established artist like Elton John doing rap seems pretty silly 'cause it's a completely different thing altogether.

If he does it, I bet it'll be in the more subtle sense - probably just the music and beats. I don't think he'll be singing about bling bling. ;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/29/06 at 12:38 am

;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/29/06 at 5:15 am

We can only hope that Elton does a stirring remake of "My Name is Humpty... it rhymes with an Umpty"

;D

Written By: Schillingfan on 08/31/06 at 8:02 pm

Hopefully, he'll make an album about his diva demands

Written By: DJ Midas on 08/31/06 at 8:36 pm

We can only hope that Elton does a stirring remake of "My Name is Humpty... it rhymes with an Umpty"

;D

Maybe he'll bust out the M.C. Hammer pants  ;D

I'll probably download it for frbuy it.  Elton's piano riffs and a homie like Dre supplying the beats?  Can't be all that bad.

Check for new replies or respond here...