inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: new era in music

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 08/31/06 at 10:28 pm

i was watching the VMAS tonight and it seems like music is really changing and the bling bling sheesh is on the way out and more stuff like panic at the disco and the killers are big plus no one can deny rap music has had a decline this year

Subject: Re: new era in music

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/06 at 10:31 pm

i was watching the VMAS tonight and it seems like music is really changing and the bling bling sheesh is on the way out and more stuff like panic at the disco and the killers are big plus no one can deny rap music has had a decline this year

Yeah, I've often thought "Bad Day", "Over My Head" and other non-rap influenced piano ballads are a sign of hip hop's decline, at least for the time being. I've liked quite a few songs like that this year. The 2002-05 era (Good Charlotte-styled pop/punk, 50 Cent, etc) does seem to be dying. And that's not a bad thing IMO. ;)

Written By: woops on 08/31/06 at 10:53 pm

Piano ballads... Deborah Gibson's comeback is definately on the rise  8)  :D

And she's no teen pop, if she was I would be 3 years old  ::)

Written By: Marty McFly on 08/31/06 at 11:22 pm

Piano ballads... Deborah Gibson's comeback is definately on the rise  8)  :D

And she's no teen pop, if she was I would be 3 years old  ::)

Dude, you're obsessed. ;)

I'll admit she's talented as a performer. But she hasn't been commercially successful since about 1989 when "Lost in Your Eyes" came out. I vaguely recall the album she did after that (saw one of the videos on VH1 briefly) but it basically bombed. Even by 1991, c. 1988 teen pop was pretty much dead.

Fair or not, that's what most people came to associate her with.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/01/06 at 12:17 am

yeah its ok to be a fan of someone who isnt commerical you dont have yeah to prove to us she is when she hasnt been since like the year i was born but that dosent mean she isnt talented

Written By: WalkerP20 on 09/01/06 at 2:40 am

Yipeee!  Rap is on the way out and EMO Rock is on the way in!  I can hardly contain my excitement  ::)

Both Genres need to be dead and buried forever.  Bring back 90's A/C or 70's Disco  8)

Written By: GoodRedShirt on 09/01/06 at 2:42 am

Yipeee!  Rap is on the way out and EMO Rock is on the way in!  I can hardly contain my excitement  ::)

Both Genres need to be dead and buried forever.  Bring back 90's A/C or 70's Disco  8)
No no no... 70s Disco needs to be dead and buried forever alongside Rap and EMO.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/01/06 at 3:20 am

No no no... 70s Disco needs to be dead and buried forever alongside Rap and EMO.

I actually don't have a problem with any of those three. Although rap and Emo just got way too big and overrated. I actually sorta like some of the poppier rap songs over the years. Especially the "cheesy" ones every year or two, like:

1990: U Can't Touch This
1992: Baby Got Back
1993: Whoop, There it is
1995: This is How We Do It
1999: Bawitdawba (okay, Kid Rock is more hard rock/rap)
2003: Hey Ya
2004: Let's Get it Started
2006: S.O.S.

Emo evolved out of bands like Jimmy Eat World, which were actually pretty good. It's just a whiny pop/punk. And Disco is mainly defined by its fashion and style, it seems (it wasn't all about polyesther suits and chest hair). ;D  As a genre, it's more influential than most people realize. It didn't really die either, it just became synthpop dance music of the '80s (i.e. "What a Feeling").

Written By: Criz on 09/01/06 at 3:39 am

Emo evolved out of bands like Jimmy Eat World, which were actually pretty good. It's just a whiny pop/punk. And Disco is mainly defined by its fashion and style, it seems (it wasn't all about polyesther suits and chest hair). ;D  As a genre, it's more influential than most people realize. It didn't really die either, it just became synthpop dance music of the '80s (i.e. "What a Feeling").

I'm finally understanding this whole emo thing1 I think I like some emo stuff - but not all of it :]

Anyway - I'm very VERY happy that hip hop is on the decline because I'm sick of trying to block it out! I've never understood why it's been so popular. How ana again some r&b singers have come up with a good tune - Rhianna - SOS being my favourite of this year, but 98% of the time there genres are either bland, lyrically annoying or just plain offensive.

I'm loving the fact that really proper band have emerged over the past couple years and hopefully they will be dominating the charts in the following years. Our charts have been overpopulated with a lot of rubbish since around '97. I say - it's time for a change!!

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/02/06 at 11:45 am

This has been a big year for the former teen pop idols like Jessica Simpson and Christina Aguilera, as well as Paris Hilton's debut. There are also new artists like James Blunt, Daniel Powter, Natasha Bedingfield, and Gnarles Barkley. Rap has continued to decline since 2005 (and definitely not as big as it was in '03 or '04), but it's still not completely gone. I, personally, am not a big fan of the music of 2006. I'm hoping and thinking that in 2007 there will be more dance/electronica music on the charts.

Written By: shaneiscrazy on 09/02/06 at 1:38 pm

paris album kinda floped it came in at 6 and i dont think jessica simpson will do good because i just heard her album and its pretty much crap

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/06 at 2:48 pm

Bye bye bling bling.... You won't be missed!

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/06 at 5:25 pm

paris album kinda floped it came in at 6 and i dont think jessica simpson will do good because i just heard her album and its pretty much crap

I think the novelty factor is the main success behind Paris' album and not the music itself. People who are fans of her will want to hear it for that reason, and even those who don't will want to see what it's about (I'm in the middle ground, I don't hate her or anything, but I couldn't really care either way).

Jessica is probably way past her peak. I think just as what happened with Disco and Hair Metal is happening here. Almost any of the younger artists who were remotely teenpop-ish are now viewed as part of the 1999-2001 "teen pop" scene itself. I'm pretty sure that's why BSB's comeback last year wasn't too successful overall.

Written By: woops on 09/02/06 at 5:46 pm

I think the novelty factor is the main success behind Paris' album and not the music itself. People who are fans of her will want to hear it for that reason, and even those who don't will want to see what it's about (I'm in the middle ground, I don't hate her or anything, but I couldn't really care either way).

Jessica is probably way past her peak. I think just as what happened with Disco and Hair Metal is happening here. Almost any of the younger artists who were remotely teenpop-ish are now viewed as part of the 1999-2001 "teen pop" scene itself. I'm pretty sure that's why BSB's comeback last year wasn't too successful overall.

Christina & Justin are still popular.

And "A Public Affair"  is in heavy rotation...

Young singers weren't taken seriously in the past... OK I'll stop now

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/02/06 at 5:51 pm

Christina sorta still is, I'll give you that (her new album, I've heard, is one of her best, although I was never a big fan in general). Justin? Maybe in 2003 he was still somewhat popular with his solo career. He's big in name still (as are all of them, actually) but "his era" musically speaking, is over or at least over its peak.

Then again, maybe they'll stage Starship or Tina Turneresque '80s comebacks around 2015. ;)

Anything can change, that's just the way the current state of things look. BTW, I don't think the singer's age itself has anything to do with it. It's the type of music they do. Steve Winwood did "Gimmie Some Lovin'" when he was, like 15 or so. But that wasn't teenpop.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/02/06 at 6:41 pm

Christina sorta still is, I'll give you that (her new album, I've heard, is one of her best, although I was never a big fan in general). Justin? Maybe in 2003 he was still somewhat popular with his solo career. He's big in name still (as are all of them, actually) but "his era" musically speaking, is over or at least over its peak.

Then again, maybe they'll stage Starship or Tina Turneresque '80s comebacks around 2015. ;)

Anything can change, that's just the way the current state of things look. BTW, I don't think the singer's age itself has anything to do with it. It's the type of music they do. Steve Winwood did "Gimmie Some Lovin'" when he was, like 15 or so. But that wasn't teenpop.

I think Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, Crazy Town, 98 Degrees/Nick Lachey were all more 2001ish artists of the teen pop era, when it was slightly past its peak, as opposed to BSB, N*Sync, and Britney, who were the c. 1999 peak artists or Hanson and the Spice Girls who started the trend in 1996-1997. I agree that some of them might have big comebacks in the '10s when they're all somewhere in their 30s.

I doubt Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears, or even Justin Timberlake, will do well with their new albums. Britney's reputation is incredibly tarnished, people think of her as incompetent white trash now and not as the cute young thing she was. Christina still has her popularity, though, because instead of trying to hold onto the teen pop movement, she cleverly used her momentum to launch a new perspective of more adult pop on her careeer. I think of Lindsay Lohan's "legitimate film career", where fellow actors have called her a "disrespectful spoiled child", and Paris Hilton's somewhat-failed album, as the peaks of the celebutante trend. It can't go anywhere but downhill from here, honestly.

Yeah, disco is probably just about as influential as punk. Disco established the dance-pop and synth-pop of the '80s, everything from Duran Duran to Madonna to Jody Watley, and indirectly rap and most dance-pop music popular today, from Shakira to Kanye West. I think, as Donnie once said, that alot of stuff will be lumped into emo as time goes on, stuff from Bright Eyes to Arcade Fire.

Written By: Brian06 on 09/02/06 at 7:58 pm

I think Jessica Simpson, Mandy Moore, Crazy Town, 98 Degrees/Nick Lachey were all more 2001ish artists of the teen pop era, when it was slightly past its peak, as opposed to BSB, N*Sync, and Britney, who were the c. 1999 peak artists or Hanson and the Spice Girls who started the trend in 1996-1997. I agree that some of them might have big comebacks in the '10s when they're all somewhere in their 30s.

I doubt Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears, or even Justin Timberlake, will do well with their new albums. Britney's reputation is incredibly tarnished, people think of her as incompetent white trash now and not as the cute young thing she was. Christina still has her popularity, though, because instead of trying to hold onto the teen pop movement, she cleverly used her momentum to launch a new perspective of more adult pop on her careeer. I think of Lindsay Lohan's "legitimate film career", where fellow actors have called her a "disrespectful spoiled child", and Paris Hilton's somewhat-failed album, as the peaks of the celebutante trend. It can't go anywhere but downhill from here, honestly.

Yeah, disco is probably just about as influential as punk. Disco established the dance-pop and synth-pop of the '80s, everything from Duran Duran to Madonna to Jody Watley, and indirectly rap and most dance-pop music popular today, from Shakira to Kanye West. I think, as Donnie once said, that alot of stuff will be lumped into emo as time goes on, stuff from Bright Eyes to Arcade Fire.

Timberlake's album will be huge, he has the number 1 song in the country and there's a lot of hype for the album from what I can see on iTunes and Amazon in pre-orders. Jessica however is already flopping, Britney probably will see the same fate.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/02/06 at 8:04 pm

I doubt Jessica Simpson or Britney Spears, or even Justin Timberlake, will do well with their new albums.

Justin Timberlake has the #1 song in the country, and while that may not mean much anymore, his club tour prior to the release of the album has garnered some positive acclaim from critics.  This album is about as far from teen-pop as Christina's new one is.  Unlike some of the acts you mentioned, he writes his own material and he plays instruments on them....he can do guitar and piano.  I'd like to see Jessica "my dad loves my boobs" Simpson try that.  And like Brian said, his album has HUGE pre-orders on Amazon and iTunes...more than Justified had, I believe.  I don't see that as him "not doing well".

Written By: Tanya1976 on 09/02/06 at 8:35 pm

If the VMAs are anything, they are proof positive that music and entertainment is changing....for the worse and that some major upheaval is necessary. Hell, even Lou Reed knew that the stuff that's trying to pass as rock isn't.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/03/06 at 12:50 am

Another song that's big on the charts is "London Bridge" by Fergie. Now that song has a 2005-ish "Hollaback Girl" and "My Humps" style to it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/03/06 at 1:09 am

Justin Timberlake has the #1 song in the country, and while that may not mean much anymore, his club tour prior to the release of the album has garnered some positive acclaim from critics.  This album is about as far from teen-pop as Christina's new one is.  Unlike some of the acts you mentioned, he writes his own material and he plays instruments on them....he can do guitar and piano.  I'd like to see Jessica "my dad loves my boobs" Simpson try that.  And like Brian said, his album has HUGE pre-orders on Amazon and iTunes...more than Justified had, I believe.  I don't see that as him "not doing well".

Sorry for my mistake.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/03/06 at 1:38 am

Yeah, Christina is still quite popular now, so is JT. I do agree that modern rap has been in a serious decline lately. I predict by 2008 or '09 it may be a thing of the past.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/03/06 at 9:32 am

Actually, the #1 song still means alot, because it includes digital downloads.

Written By: Marty McFly on 09/03/06 at 4:11 pm

Yeah, Christina is still quite popular now, so is JT. I do agree that modern rap has been in a serious decline lately. I predict by 2008 or '09 it may be a thing of the past.

Do you think rap as a genre is big enough that it'll stay around? Its been popular in the mainstream since 1986 and started outselling rock around '95. I have a feeling it'll be more of a dance/rap sound - the bling bling stuff is easily past its peak now. I could see someone calling it "so 2003" a few years from now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/04/06 at 12:58 am

Do you think rap as a genre is big enough that it'll stay around? Its been popular in the mainstream since 1986 and started outselling rock around '95. I have a feeling it'll be more of a dance/rap sound - the bling bling stuff is easily past its peak now. I could see someone calling it "so 2003" a few years from now.

Yeah, I think rap will never really "die" it'll just reinvent its sound and remain popular like rock has for the last 40 years. Modern 'glam' rap is defidently on the decline, but rap itself will always be around.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/04/06 at 12:10 pm

Yeah, I think the early 90's style of rap mixed with the dance/funk is coming back, like how T.I.'s "Why U Wanna" song sampled Crystal Waters "Gypsy Woman" song from 1991. Also, Cassie's "Me and U" song has a funky dance beat. I think we will hear more music with that style in 2007 and 2008.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/06 at 11:36 pm

Both are huge, Hurt is blowing up now- I think it'll be another top 10 song for Christina, Back to Basics has been very successful. Timberlake's about to have another number one soon (2 top 5 songs currently, 7 weeks at number one for sexyback). He's actually had a lot more success now in 2006 than he had in 2003.

Written By: Brian06 on 10/27/06 at 11:39 pm

The Killers are not and never were "emo rock".  ::)

Written By: WolvesRayne on 10/29/06 at 12:26 pm

Don't be afraid, with one era comes another, Era's go by tens in music so it's only 3 more years basically, but don't worry theres still other types coming out too.

Check for new replies or respond here...