inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Peter Jackson to film Dam Busters

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/06 at 12:57 am

With the filming on the Dam Busters remake due to start next year, the Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is to remake classic British war film The Dam Busters, he has told film industry trade paper Screen Daily.

Jackson will produce the movie, with King Kong animator Christian Rivers in the director's chair.

Jackson said it would be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible".

The 1954 film told the true story of how Britain developed bouncing bombs to destroy German dams in World War II.

Subject: Re: Peter Jackson to film Dam Busters

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/01/06 at 1:08 am

With the filming on the Dam Busters remake due to start next year, the Lord of the Rings director Peter Jackson is to remake classic British war film The Dam Busters, he has told film industry trade paper Screen Daily.

Jackson will produce the movie, with King Kong animator Christian Rivers in the director's chair.

Jackson said it would be "as authentic as possible and as close to the spirit of the original as possible".

The 1954 film told the true story of how Britain developed bouncing bombs to destroy German dams in World War II.

No way! I saw the original a few years back, and I thought it was utterly fascinating the way they showed how the British scientists developed this plan, but the special effects were so crude and low budget that I found them distracting. I remember thinking at the time that this movie would be a way cool candidate for a remake with today's CGI and special effects technology.
    I'll definitely have to check this one out.  :)

Written By: Gis on 09/01/06 at 3:13 am

Hmm they will have to be careful. This is too recent history, if they get any details wrong or rewrite any history and I think there would be such an outcry.

Do you think Guy Gibson's dog will be called ****** or not in this remake?? Somehow I think not! 

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/01/06 at 12:28 pm

Hmm they will have to be careful. This is too recent history, if they get any details wrong or rewrite any history and I think there would be such an outcry.

Do you think Guy Gibson's dog will be called ****** or not in this remake?? Somehow I think not! 
References to the dogs' name in the original version was dubbed in with bark from the dog.

Written By: Mushroom on 09/01/06 at 1:57 pm

I doubt it either.

References to the dogs' name in the original version was dubbed in with bark from the dog.

If you want to hear the original, simply watch "Pink Floyd - The Wall".  There are clips from the movie throughout the film, including clips of characters talking and calling the dog by name.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/01/06 at 2:05 pm

Sounds cool...

...I, however, am still hoping for a big-screen adaptation of The Hobbit. 8)

Written By: Mushroom on 09/02/06 at 9:05 am

[quote author=Keyser S

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 9:06 am

Peter jackson is still trying to nail down the full rights to that.  The movie rights to The Hobbit are owned by Sony, who bought the rights when they took over MGM several years ago.  And Sony is very relictant to give those rights away.  Negotiations are still underway to allow Peter Jackson to make the movie.  Some execs want tto see a co-operative effort, while others want to try and buy away the rights.

According to Jackson, it is going to be a minimum of 5 years before such a movie could be made.
Thanks, for I have been wondering why The Hobbit has not been done by PJ yet.

Written By: deadrockstar on 09/02/06 at 2:00 pm

Peter jackson is still trying to nail down the full rights to that.  The movie rights to The Hobbit are owned by Sony, who bought the rights when they took over MGM several years ago.  And Sony is very relictant to give those rights away.  Negotiations are still underway to allow Peter Jackson to make the movie.  Some execs want tto see a co-operative effort, while others want to try and buy away the rights.

According to Jackson, it is going to be a minimum of 5 years before such a movie could be made.

I hope Ian McKellen will still be around to reprise his role as Gandalf.

And man, it will be SO cool to see Smog brought to life.  We'll get to see Gollum again too,

Written By: JamieMcBain on 09/02/06 at 2:47 pm

Intersesting, count me in among the interested...

Check for new replies or respond here...