inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Reality" TV Sees its Nadir...

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/06 at 5:53 pm

Last night I watched a so-called "reality" show called "Duets with the Stars" or something like that.

The basic deal is that they cobbled up 6 or 7 actors who can not sing and pair them up with professional singers like Smokey Robinson, Peter frampton, and James Ingram.

The actors' singing is HIDEOUS.  None of them would have made it past the first American Idol audition.  :o

One of the judges is Little Richard, who comes off about as lucid as Admiral Stockdale in the 1992 vice presidential campaign.  ::)

I think we have found the bottom of the cycle.  As Newton Minow said 43 years ago "Television has become a vast wasteland".  (Then they named the S.S. Minnow after him as Gilligan's Island was launched.  ;)  )

Subject: Re: "Reality" TV Sees its Nadir...

Written By: whistledog on 09/01/06 at 6:24 pm

I wanted to see this, but I missed it. Didn't Jeff Foxworthy sing?

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/01/06 at 6:45 pm

If people stopped watching garbage like this, maybe these f*cktarded TV execs would stop making them in the first place.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/01/06 at 9:05 pm

I wanted to see this, but I missed it. Didn't Jeff Foxworthy sing?

Nah, Foxworthy was not on the show.  Amongst the wailers were Lea Thompson, Cheech Marin, and a number of other B-list personalities (with F-list voices)

Written By: 80sTrivMeister on 09/01/06 at 9:39 pm

I passed by this show while channel surfing... and I kept on surfing...  ;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/01/06 at 11:52 pm

Nadir? TV? terms incompatible!  What about the "Survivor" contest for racial supremacy!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/sword2.gif

LB is right.  Newton Minow, chairman of the FCC, is the namesake of the S.S. Minnow on Gilligan's Island.  It sounds like an urban legend, but apparently, Sherwood Schwartz said it was true, and he was the one responsible!

In 1961 there was no cable televion.  Most urban/suburban households got at best ten channels with clear reception.  Out in the sticks, maybe three!  Still, there was so much dreck, Mr. Minow had cause to call it a "vast wasteland."  The advantage of TV as a vast wasteland was...and still is...that it poses no threat to the political status quo.  Minow's protests in the early '60s led to the Corporation for Public Broadcasting.  Boy, did Dick Nixon ever hate the CPB.  Public televion was under attack from the get-go.  They struggled against the tide for a quarter century before they really started giving in to the Right back in the early '90s.  They don't even have Bill Moyers anymore!  McNeil/Lehrer was supposed to be the pinko commie news program, but they always had pundits such as Gergen and Gigot on board.  There are two rules on televions regarding political content:
1. You can never be too conservative.
2. If you are too conservative, see rule number one.
But you know, programs from "Gilligan's Island" to "Desperate Housewives" threaten nothing but the cerebral health of their viewers.  Especially the latter.  I was crestfallen when I saw the "Desperate Housewives" DVDs over at my sister's place!  I would have been so much happier if she was ordering all the Gilligan DVDs!
::)

"Television is a barrel with no bottom."
--attributed to Gore Vidal

Written By: Gis on 09/02/06 at 4:31 am

In the U.K it was called 'Just the two of us' it was really funny I thought.  :-\\

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 4:56 am

Not my kind of proramme, I will not be watching it.

Written By: Satish on 09/02/06 at 7:11 am

But you know, programs from "Gilligan's Island" to "Desperate Housewives" threaten nothing but the cerebral health of their viewers.  Especially the latter.  I was crestfallen when I saw the "Desperate Housewives" DVDs over at my sister's place!  I would have been so much happier if she was ordering all the Gilligan DVDs!

What's wrong with "Desperate Housewives"? I'd say it's a rather smart satire of suburban life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 7:47 am

What's wrong with "Desperate Housewives"? I'd say it's a rather smart satire of suburban life.
I don't know, I did not watch it.

Written By: velvetoneo on 09/02/06 at 6:48 pm

The first season was hilarious and well-written, in a guilty pleasure way. The second was much, much worse.

Was Alfonso Ribeiro going to be on "Duets with the Stars"? He was also on something at Nick at Nite, showcasing his daredevil motorcycling talents...I'd say you've gone from the C to the D lists when your only way of getting any money is reality TV.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/02/06 at 7:37 pm

The first season was hilarious and well-written, in a guilty pleasure way. The second was much, much worse.

Was Alfonso Ribeiro going to be on "Duets with the Stars"? He was also on something at Nick at Nite, showcasing his daredevil motorcycling talents...I'd say you've gone from the C to the D lists when your only way of getting any money is reality TV.

Yeah, Alfonso was on there.  Actually one of the "better" singers on the show although that's a relative distinction.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/06 at 8:17 pm

I won't excoriate "Desperate Housewives," too easy to do, too often done.  I had a mix-up by free association.  The DVDs at my sister's house were of something even worse, "Sex in the City."

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/02/06 at 8:20 pm

I won't excoriate "Desperate Housewives," too easy to do, too often done.  I had a mix-up by free association.  The DVDs at my sister's house were of something even worse, "Sex in the City."

What's wrong with SATC?  I loved that show.  I plan on buying the full 6 season DVD set as soon as I get a chance.  It's entertainment....either you're entertained or you're not.

Why do you feel the need to put everything that other people like down all the time? 

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/06 at 8:31 pm

What's wrong with SATC?  I loved that show.  I plan on buying the full 6 season DVD set as soon as I get a chance.  It's entertainment....either you're entertained or you're not.

Why do you feel the need to put everything that other people like down all the time? 

Oh, it's "Sex and the City."  I always forget whether it's "in" or "and."  So you ask me "What's wrong with SATC?," and then you ask "Why do you feel the need to put everything that other people like down all the time?"  Thus, your first interrogative shall serve to bolster your second interrogative."  Clever rhetorical ploy.  You might make a good lawyer!
;)

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/02/06 at 8:35 pm

Oh, it's "Sex and the City."  I always forget whether it's "in" or "and."  So you ask me "What's wrong with SATC?," and then you ask "Why do you feel the need to put everything that other people like down all the time?"  Thus, your first interrogative shall serve to bolster your second interrogative."  Clever rhetorical ploy.  You might make a good lawyer!
;)

I didn't get a law degree.  I got an advertising degree. 

I wouldn't make a good lawyer anyway; I have zero tolerance for stupidity and I could never be a public defender.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/02/06 at 9:26 pm

I wouldn't make a good lawyer anyway; I have zero tolerance for stupidity and I could never be a public defender.

Ah, but to get ahead in advertising, you have to know how to exploit other peoples' stupidity!
;D

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/02/06 at 9:29 pm

Ah, but to get ahead in advertising, you have to know how to exploit other peoples' stupidity!
;D

I'm not in the design part of advertising; I'm in the copywriting portion of it.  I have no artistic abilities outside of drawing stick figures, sadly.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/03/06 at 7:25 am

I have zero tolerance for stupidity and I could never be a public defender.

We could use you as a judge, Sister.  ;)

Written By: gmann on 09/04/06 at 6:17 pm

One of the judges is Little Richard, who comes off about as lucid as Admiral Stockdale in the 1992 vice presidential campaign.  ::)

Off-topic alert, so you've been warned.  :)

IMO, Stockdale made the most memorable statement during one of those debates. While Danny Boy and Super Al the Environmentalist's Pal were busy trying to shout each other down, Stockdale did spake:

"I think the American people now see why our government is in gridlock." Stockdale, from downtown...three points!!

Oh, the show...I haven't seen it. the premise sounds pretty bad. I think I'll avoid it altogether.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/04/06 at 8:54 pm

How 'bout "Reality TV sees its Nader."  Contestants attend Ralph Nader lectures and the guy who falls asleep last wins!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/10/thinkerg.gif

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/06 at 10:05 pm

An advertising degree and zero tolerance for stupidity? 

How in the name of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs did you survive your professors, coursemates, and how do you propose to survive your cow orkers? 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 10:08 pm

How in the name of J.R. "Bob" Dobbs did you survive your professors, coursemates, and how do you propose to survive your cow orkers? 

My professors were not stupid.  I don't recall having one teacher in college I didn't like.  Sure I had some stupid classmates, but I ignored them and therefore they didn't bother me.  Unless they tried to talk to me.  And as for co-workers, I'm unemployed at the moment.  When I do have co-workers, I'll put up with whoever I get. 

Also, I don't get the connection between my advertising degree and my having no tolerance for stupidity.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 10:09 pm

Hey, don't be fresh, mister!
http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/kitty.gif

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 10:12 pm

My professors were not stupid.  I don't recall having one teacher in college I didn't like.  Sure I had some stupid classmates, but I ignored them and therefore they didn't bother me.  Unless they tried to talk to me.  And as for co-workers, I'm unemployed at the moment.  When I do have co-workers, I'll put up with whoever I get. 

Also, I don't get the connection between my advertising degree and my having no tolerance for stupidity.

Sorry to hear you're unemployed.  I know what that's like! "Job security" is getting to be a thing of the past.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/05/06 at 10:19 pm

You're voluntarily signing on to a career in the industry that makes it possible for the dude who came up with "Head On: Apply Directly to the Forehead" and Karl Rove to both have successful careers. 

Tolerance for stupidy, sociopathy, or both. 

There's nothing wrong with eiter, but you gotta choose at least one. 

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 10:37 pm

You're voluntarily signing on to a career in the industry that makes it possible for the dude who came up with "Head On: Apply Directly to the Forehead" and Karl Rove to both have successful careers. 

Tolerance for stupidy, sociopathy, or both. 

There's nothing wrong with eiter, but you gotta choose at least one. 

You have no idea what kind of work I'd like to do with my degree and until you do, I'd prefer you not make judgements.

Written By: Sister Morphine on 09/05/06 at 10:38 pm

Sorry to hear you're unemployed.  I know what that's like! "Job security" is getting to be a thing of the past.

You don't need to be sorry.  I am voluntarily unemployed at the moment. 

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/05/06 at 10:43 pm

I think we have found the bottom of the cycle. 
Not quite yet.

They still haven't came out with "Who Wants To Blow A Millionaire" yet. Trust me, it's gonna happen.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 09/05/06 at 10:48 pm

Not quite yet.

They still haven't came out with "Who Wants To Blow A Millionaire" yet. Trust me, it's gonna happen.

Sounds like interesting viewing.  "Would you blow a millionaire for a hundred grand?  How many times?"
:P

Check for new replies or respond here...