inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 'Have a day off - you're 100'

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/02/06 at 6:59 am

Britain's oldest worker has been ordered to take a day off by his bosses - to celebrate his 100th birthday.

Mechanic Buster Martin hopes to carry on working until he is 125, reports the Daily Mirror.

He had planned to mark his 100th with a pint at his local but colleagues arranged a VIP tour of Chelsea's Stamford Bridge stadium, where he will be presented with a shirt with 'Buster 100' on the back.

He has already retired once - three years ago when he gave up working on market stalls.

But after three months he got bored and found a part-time job as mechanic and valeter, helping maintain 100 vans for a plumbing firm in Pimlico, London.

Buster said: "Boredom is a big killer. I went back to work as I like to keep active. If I didn't work I would become the most miserable sod you have ever come across so I don't want to stop working."

Boss Charlie Mullins said: "We have quite a few old workers as I see experience as an asset. I know I'll never see a dirty van with Buster on the case."

Check for new replies or respond here...